Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by momosgarage
    How about using a 650b rim and tire on the trek 850 frame?
    You just lost me, Momo. I backed you up earlier in this thread because I thought people were being a bit harsh on your initial post, but after seemingly endless unnecessary responses from you to every little comment, not a single pic of your project, no progress, and then you suddenly start talking 650B, it sounds like you are just dreaming up "what-if" scenarios that you are never going to actually do. So if you want to pretend you're going to build up a 650B bike, fine, go the the 650B forum and annoy those folks for a while. The comic relief has worn off and you're just not contributing anything of any use to anyone (not even yourself unless you actually start actually building something).
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    So if you want to pretend you're going to build up a 650B bike, fine, go the the 650B forum and annoy those folks for a while. The comic relief has worn off and you're just not contributing anything of any use to anyone (not even yourself unless you actually start actually building something).
    I can see you frustration, but this is a message board. Not a workshop, not a billable project and not even listserve. I don't see why I can't ask what ever I want. People can choose to answer or post as they please. I am not trying to be funny and as was stated earlier, I do like talking about theory for a while before I start anything. It may be annoying to you and others, but that is simply my approach. I use searchy first and then if I feel I haven't found enough on a topic I post and then solicit replies.

Stokeless Asshat
    ALL 69/96 (conversion) questions go here please!

Your best source for conversion info.
    Zip ties? Not on my bike!

Want:
    650B rims or wheel set. 80's vintage 32 or 36 x 135mm

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Is it too late to take the Packers?

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I have to say I'm also a bit surprised by the responses here. What you're doing isn't all that crazy. You're just building a drop-bar mtb with skinnier tires. If you wanted to competitively race CX (I don't recall that being mentioned), you'd be better off with a CX frame, but for just a "cross-purpose" bike, you're fine.

I think it's actually more wrong to put small 26" slicks on an mtb. Then you end up dropping the BB and reducing the tire diameter quite a bit. Plus I just hate slicks on mtbs.
    Any more ideas along these lines to keep from dropping the BB too much?

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by trailville View Post
    You just lost me, Momo. I backed you up earlier in this thread because I thought people were being a bit harsh on your initial post, but after seemingly endless unnecessary responses from you to every little comment, not a single pic of your project, no progress, and then you suddenly start talking 650B, it sounds like you are just dreaming up "what-if" scenarios that you are never going to actually do. So if you want to pretend you're going to build up a 650B bike, fine, go the the 650B forum and annoy those folks for a while. The comic relief has worn off and you're just not contributing anything of any use to anyone (not even yourself unless you actually start actually building something).

Funny years later someone actually did the 650b conversion. Seems it was not so silly after all:

finalizing the Trek 950 Singletrack?blog.peterlombardi.com | blog.peterlombardi.com
    I use forums as "what-if portals", primarily to explore theoretical approaches. You have been forewarned about what I post.

gobsmacked Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by momosgarage View Post
    Funny years later someone actually did the 650b conversion. Seems it was not so silly after all:

finalizing the Trek 950 Singletrack?blog.peterlombardi.com | blog.peterlombardi.com
    You should realize that nobody ever said it could or should not be done.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Ahhhhhhhh!!!!!

Attack of the zombie thread.

Kyle, is that you?

Come out of the basement, step into the day light, and actually do something beyond thinking of things that you can search the whole world over to find proof of others doing......
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    You should realize that nobody ever said it could or should not be done.
    Another neat Trek build up from spares by blog.peterlombardi.com

Olivia?s Touring Bike, 1991 Trek Singletrack 990?blog.peterlombardi.com | blog.peterlombardi.com
    I use forums as "what-if portals", primarily to explore theoretical approaches. You have been forewarned about what I post.

CS2
    mtbr member
    Seeing as this thread is being referred to again in 2017 it's fair to revive it. Why can't you just use 26" wheels? Neither cyclocross nor gravel bikes are what you would call high speed bikes. A 26" wheel isn't going to slow you down that much if at all. I'm not seeing the fascination with big wheels.
    A garage full of steel frames means happiness.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Do you wanna revive the 29 vs 26 battle?

Cause this is how you do that.

I'll start...

Any time I get back on my little wheeled bikes, out of compassionate guilt, I remember why I no longer ride them.

Little wheels are slow as hell feeling, come do a virtual dead stop the moment you stop pedaling, and seem twitchy as all get out, to boot.

I now spend most of my trail time on 29+, so kinda the antithesis of CX, but at least those wheels are a decent diameter for getting and keeping momentum!
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    What the FORK?!?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Members who have read this thread: 47