mtbr member

Tubes for 27x1-3/8"

Looking for some light tube options (presta) to run in Club Roost Cross Terra Tire > Components > Tires and Tubes > Tires | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop would be really sweet if they had removable cores too as I'm always needing the valves for my other tubeless setups.

the new Gilbert Grape
    Any 700c tube will work fine in a 27-inch tire. Don't go with the super-light 20-25mm tubes (although would work in a pinch), but any slightly thicker tube should work fine - they're used in cyclocross all the time.

Here's an example: Universal Cycles -- Q Standard Tube Cyclecross Tubes
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

mtbr member
    I've used 700 x 23 tubes in a 26 x 2 mtb tire before in a pinch. Held up just fine for temporary use, but I didn't do any long term testing.

Tubes are stretchy. IMO, there is no need to make both 26 and 29" tubes either. Maybe just make one in the middle (650B) and use it for all three wheel sizes. Tubes have a range of tire widths they can fit, right? Well, they also have a range of diameters they can accomodate even though the box might not say as much.

mtbr member
    Yeah I was thinking that running 700c x 18-23mm might be taking the piss a bit. What do ya's think about running the 700c x 28-32mm instead of the 700c x 35-43mm ? And damn Universal cycles for there no free shipping to NZ Wriggle/CRC both do (if you spend enough ;-)

the new Gilbert Grape
    Quote Originally Posted by OFFcourse View Post
    What do ya's think about running the 700c x 28-32mm instead of the 700c x 35-43mm ?
    Either will work fine. The 35-43mm will (in theory) offer a little more flat protection as they'll not be stretched quite as thin, but it's not enough that you'd likely ever notice any difference.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

velocipede technician
    Keep on eye on the tire around the valve stem when using a too skinny tube. The area around the stem is reinforced on a lot of tubes now and doesn't "balloon" as much as the rest

It's real obvious, real quick if it happens
    looking for 20-21" P team

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Tubes for 27x1-3/8"

Quote Originally Posted by OFFcourse View Post
    Looking for some light tube options (presta) to run in Club Roost Cross Terra Tire > Components > Tires and Tubes > Tires | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop would be really sweet if they had removable cores too as I'm always needing the valves for my other tubeless setups.
    Pretty much any 700c road tube. I use 25mm tubes in 35-40mm tires all the time.

I do find that the lightweight tubes expand in cross section better than standard weight tubes. The latter will burst sooner.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Thanks VRC, I posted this same question over in WW 2 weeks 2 bumps zero reply's.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by hollister View Post
    It's real obvious, real quick if it happens
    That made me spit out my coffee. Nicely played.