-bustin punks

Trying to salvage an XTR M900 rear hub

Non drive side cup and cones are great. Drive side cup (on the freehub body) and cone both need replacing. Grrr.

I've seen a few mentions that LX and XT stuff MIGHT work (but what gen LX/XT?) - wheels mfg doesn't list cone replacements for the M900 (interesting that the M732 and M737 XT hubs use the same drive side cone part #)

Peter White sells M900 axle kits and freehub bodies but that's the VERY expensive way to get this thing functional again.

Thanks guys.

Sergeant Spandex
    hmmm, wish I knew for certain but is there any way you could just try the M700 stuff and see if it works? At least with the cone you could do a side by side comparison with the pitted one.

Steven

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    In Sur America we used to take the cone to a shop with a lathe to get the curve shape made again and add a washer of equal thickness to compensate for the material remove, shame nobody does that kind of jobs anymore around here..

-bustin punks
    Yeah, pulling apart my M732 rear hub may be the next step (if nobody has been down this route before) although I don't really want to cannibilize one working wheel to fix another.

So finding a donor hub would be choice #1.

Down South Yooper
    Quote Originally Posted by patineto View Post
    In Sur America we used to take the cone to a shop with a lathe to get the curve shape made again and add a washer of equal thickness to compensate for the material remove, shame nobody does that kind of jobs anymore around here..
    The cup in the freehub body is shot too, so it needs to be replaced as well. I have a set of deore DX hubs I'm going to eyeball for the salvage parts..

Plum
    This post is in 3B, three beers and it looks good eh!

Sergeant Spandex
    Quote Originally Posted by fatchanceti View Post
    Yeah, pulling apart my M732 rear hub may be the next step (if nobody has been down this route before) although I don't really want to cannibilize one working wheel to fix another.

So finding a donor hub would be choice #1.

No I would not tear apart a perfectly good wheel. Maybe try to acquire a slightly beat up one off of the bay?

Down South Yooper
    I finally tried the extra parts I had around, namely an exage level hub, FH-HG50. Freehub body appears to be interchangeable and more or less a direct replacement, at least fit wise. Not sure how much the quality varies from model to model, but it fits.

Plum
    This post is in 3B, three beers and it looks good eh!

Sergeant Spandex
    Nice!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Has anyone ever had any luck removing a bad race and pressing in a new one in one of these hubs? I am assuming it is doable just curious if anyone ever has and what the outcome was like. I have presses and what not and could make just about whatever tooling I needed to be able to get the old race out and the new one in, just curious if anyone had any luck doing this. And yes I realize that in many instances just sourcing another is far easier...... but what fun would that be?

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I've been getting new 105 freehubs (FH-1056-C) off E-bay dirt cheap. $10-15 shipped. Using them to modernize early '90's hubs. Works perfect, once you get some of the grease out. They are almost packed full & the pawls don't work well when it gets below 50. I didn't have to do anything else. Oh BTW Fatchance, weren't you looking for a Slingshot CX frame. If so PM me.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    You can replace the pressed in Race in a shimano rear hub. I did it this fall. I just used a punch to knock the races out. I put tape on the outside of the punch so it wouldn't mar the freehub threads. A bearing puller might work better. I tried to pound the Race in and that didn't work. The race got crooked and I had to knock it back out. I made a race press from the axle of my donor hub. If you pull the race in by the hole in the middle, you can crack the race. So go slow and don't overload/overtighten it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Nice, I figured it would be easy enough to do, just had never tried.........

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by datmony View Post
    Nice, I figured it would be easy enough to do, just had never tried.........
    I suggest you get a couple junk hubs to practice on before you try to replace a cup in a good hub. Aso Google "campagnolo hub race" and variations. Some of the Campy hubs had replaceable races hubs so there are discussions and DIY instructions on the Web.