mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Trying to Match Paint

I just picked up a 1989 Bridgestone mb-3 with the black and gray paint. It's seen some use and the paint is chipped pretty well. Some spots have surface rust now. I've googled this and have read up on it, so I get the process of touching up paint.

My question is what's the best way to match the gray paint, and what's the easiest? Is the car shop the best place for a small amount of touch up paint, or maybe my LBS?

My plan is to ride it as a do-everything bike: commuting, light trail and fire road rides, and bikepacking, so I'm not looking to get it showroom ready. I just want to take care of the rust and prevent more.

(Pictures to the appropriate thread once the new chain and what not are on.)

Thanks

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiefFlatFootNoBeard View Post
    My question is what's the best way to match the gray paint, and what's the easiest? Is the car shop the best place for a small amount of touch up paint, or maybe my LBS?
    The best way is probably an auto body shop but I would never ever do that. I've bought paint at an auto supply place like Kragen's and I've also just used good old nail polish.

Your LBS will not have paint.

velocipede technician
    Most lbs have a selection of touch up paint

Try an older trek or cannondale dealer and you might find a match

Otherwise go to the hobby store <--- best bet
    looking for 20-21" P team

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by hollister View Post
    Most lbs have a selection of touch up paint

Try an older trek or cannondale dealer and you might find a match

Otherwise go to the hobby store <--- best bet

Really? Is it in back? I don't think I've ever seen it. I suck lately!

velocipede technician
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    Really? Is it in back? I don't think I've ever seen it. I suck lately!
    In the back, Its for those oh crap moments, or bikes that come not so fresh out the box.. It's not for sale

Finding a match is at best a PITA
    looking for 20-21" P team

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Looks like a trip to AutoZone is in my immediate future. Maybe I'll just ride the mb-3 so I can compare right there.

Thanks again.
    1989 Bridgestone mb-3
    2013 Salsa El Mariachi 2

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    Looks like a trip to AutoZone is in my immediate future. Maybe I'll just ride the mb-3 so I can compare right there.

Thanks again.
    You should. I went to pick up white. How hard can white be? Well, they must have had a dozen whites....and that was from one company.

Anyhow, have fun.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I just picked up a 1989 Bridgestone mb-3 with the black and gray paint. It's seen some use and the paint is chipped pretty well. Some spots have surface rust now. I've googled this and have read up on it, so I get the process of touching up paint.

My plan is to ride it as a do-everything bike: commuting, light trail and fire road rides, and bikepacking, so I'm not looking to get it showroom ready. I just want to take care of the rust and prevent more.

(Pictures to the appropriate thread once the new chain and what not are on.)

Thanks
    Testers Model Master 1788 Testors Paint 1788 - Model Master Enamel Euro l Gray FS36081