mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Tricked out MAG 20

Sometimes, things just fall into place. I had spare legs for my Mag 20 fork. Then, thru time and constant hunting for VRC bikes, I started to accumulate parts.

Lo and behold my frankenMAG 20. New Bontrager crown with uncut virgin 1 inch steerer, NOS air caps and a used but in excellent condition Monster CNC brake bridge/brake booster.

I'm going to install new Enduro seals in it too

hello pot? this is kettle
    Looks like you're missing the lower crown race retainer. good luck finding that...

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Thats news to me. The fork crown has a milled in crown race seat. I expect the race to be pressed into the steerer and seat on the crown.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Can somebody please tell me if I'm wrong and Paetersen speaks the truth? Am I missing a part here? I'd really like to know. I have a few stock MAGs and I cant see under the crown race.

velocipede technician
    Quote Originally Posted by bing! View Post
    Can somebody please tell me if I'm wrong and Paetersen speaks the truth? Am I missing a part here? I'd really like to know. I have a few stock MAGs and I cant see under the crown race.
    bontrager crown/steerers need a crown race adapter to work, otherwise the crown race won't seat onto anything
    looking for 20-21" P team

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by hollister View Post
    bontrager crown/steerers need a crown race adapter to work, otherwise the crown race won't seat onto anything
    Oh crap. Looks like I'm going to have to have a race adapter brazed in, or use Loctite.

Thanks.

velocipede technician
    Quote Originally Posted by bing! View Post
    Oh crap. Looks like I'm going to have to have a race adapter brazed in, or use Loctite.

Thanks.
    you don't wanna do that

I'm nowhere near my forks, but someone here has a picture of what you're looking for I'm sure
    looking for 20-21" P team

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by hollister View Post
    I'm nowhere near my forks
    Really? Where are your forks?

Sorry, Bing, but I don't have a picture handy either but will later if nobody has one on their computer that can help sooner.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Thanks guys. Will look forward to seeing this elusive thingy

mtbr member
    Here you go. I wasn't aware it was an option to have it or not, and I'm not sure how you'd remove it, but this one seems to have the seat.

Here's a question though: Using this style of crown (I know there are some others with a higher "arch" to them), it looks like the axle-to-crown measurement will end up being quite a bit shorter than the original Mag fork. At least when I hold the two crowns up to each other, that's what I see. Am I wrong? How did yours turn out?

(I ask because I'd thought about doing the same thing. Otherwise, I've been keeping this crown with thoughts of having some rigid legs made, to a suspension corrected height.)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tricked out MAG 20-img_6844.jpg  

We still hang bike thieves in Wyoming [Pedal House]

mtbr member
    Would the one off this RS-1 work for this?

Some old school stuff for sale in the classifieds

$20 cheap.

hello pot? this is kettle
    Quote Originally Posted by Boy named SSue View Post
    Would the one off this RS-1 work for this?

Some old school stuff for sale in the classifieds

$20 cheap.
    Damn. I got really excited when I saw that. Alas it's 1 1/8. I've been quietly looking for one for a while with no luck.

Neo-Retro Forever
    Oct 2004
    When you hot a big bump and bottom out your fork, your tire will contact the bottom of that crown. Mag 20/21 bontrager crowns were milled out mote underneath.

I may have one of those crown race seats, but you never shared what material you discovered to use as the air cap seals...

Oh, and if you REALLY waned to trick out that pony, you'd add an Englund extended travel/reverse spring kit!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by paetersen View Post
    Damn. I got really excited when I saw that. Alas it's 1 1/8. I've been quietly looking for one for a while with no luck.
    Sorry for the false alarm, posted that after meeting friends for a couple of beers and missed the obvious.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by richieb View Post
    When you hot a big bump and bottom out your fork, your tire will contact the bottom of that crown. Mag 20/21 bontrager crowns were milled out mote underneath.

I may have one of those crown race seats, but you never shared what material you discovered to use as the air cap seals...

Oh, and if you REALLY waned to trick out that pony, you'd add an Englund extended travel/reverse spring kit!!!
    Oh crap. If it does bottom out, that there is a deal breaker. I guess this project is going to get scrapped and the parts will be binned as spares. Will do some tests to confirm.

I don't mean to be selfish. I am unemployed and make money being a handyman, bike mechanic, and making things in my garage for various hobbies/sports. The air cap and MAG series rebuild is one of them.

Things arent too tough for me thanks to the little income stream I get from keeping myself busy. If I make enough things with a "long tail", I'd never go hungry

Wired 12.10: The Long Tail

I was building this fork so that i can sell my other 1 inch standard fork. Dang, 50 bucks down the drain.
    Last edited by bing!; 10-13-2011 at 08:13 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    In looking for a solution, ive found seat post shims that go from 25.4 to 26.8 mm.

I think i can work with this to produce a workable solution. Still looking for the right adapter though.

Mtn View, CA
    Did you check with Bontrager? They may have one sitting in a box somewhere. Otherwise a machinist can whip up something like that in a few minutes on a lathe.
    Atomic batteries to power...turbines to speed...

The Crazy Cat Lady of VRC
    Quote Originally Posted by gddyap View Post
    Did you check with Bontrager? They may have one sitting in a box somewhere.

Hello "Huge Multinational Corporation" (Trek)...I was wondering if you could have somebody take a look around in your 75 square mile warehouse for a little silver part made by a guy out in California about 20 years ago...hello...hello...

Steve

mtbr member
    maybe try this one

BikeLugs.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by swonte View Post
    maybe try this one

BikeLugs.com
    You da man!