Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Trek steel bike/frame information?

3K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  mrmo 
#1 ·
Hi Guys, I couldn't decide whether this was vintage/retro related but figured since Trek no longer makes mid/upper level steel bikes this was the best place for my questions. I'm specifically interested in info on the 950/970 and anything above those?
1.What year did Trek change from lugged style frames to the Tig welded frames?
2.What kind of tubing did Trek use on the lugged frames? and the Tig welded frames?
3.I'm guessing the lugged frames were pretty heavy duty, when they went to Tig welding were those frames better/lighter/stronger, more suited as a light(er) weight race bike?
4.I seem to remember Trek made a higher end steel bike around '95-'98? but I can't remember what the model number was....980, 990 ?????

Any info you guys can provide like specs and photos would be greatly appreciated.
thanks,
fz4vgq

#2 ·
I think the last of the high end steel frames were made around 92-93 the 990's

The 930 and I think 950 were made 'til about 1998 but they were pretty low end TIGed frames with STX components. A roommate of mine had a 1995 930 and it was a tank probably close to 30lbs.

#3 ·
970-990 is what you are looking for both models used same frame. The later TIG frames were True Temper OX (i am not sure if they were platinum or OX II) I bought one in '96(?) I still ride it as a SS. These frames are not the lightest but they ride well and are very durable.

The last that I can really remember seeing the lugged beauties were in '91 or '92.

#4 ·
i believe the 970-990 (same frame) made in 95-96 was treks shining moment for steel bikes. heat treated true temper OX-3 (look for the top tube gussett). claimed weight was like 24lbs. 25.5 with a shock, tho i dont know how accurate that is. mine dont feel THAT light. fairly tough frame i suppose, as far as dents, tho i managed to crack mine at head/down tube junction and ive seen one other do the same. had a nice repair done to it by local bike frame builder/painter/fixer and i still ride it. hope this helps.

#5 ·
My 1990 930

Is a fully lugged frame, complete with the frame pump nipple. I don't remember what the tubing recipe is, but it is double-butted TruTemper. I seem to remember it weighing in at just a shade over what my 1996 Bontrager Race weighs, but I don't remember the actual figure. As it sits right now, single speed, no-nonsense parts (nothing extravagant at all!!), sans all unnecessary braze-ons...21#...19". On the components, I built this as a single speed about six years ago right after I read Keith Bontrager's rant on single speeds on the website. I was inspired and have kept it simple on that note ever since. I believe that there is still a pic of it somewhere on this forum, or it may be in the Trek forum for enyone that cares.

Shayne said:
I think the last of the high end steel frames were made around 92-93 the 990's

The 930 and I think 950 were made 'til about 1998 but they were pretty low end TIGed frames with STX components. A roommate of mine had a 1995 930 and it was a tank probably close to 30lbs.

#6 ·
lugged 950

A friend bought a white 950, 18", with alot of work it came down to 26 pounds rigid, started at 28. There's me on a 24lb FS bonty race basically made of the same stuff...how things change. It was circa 1990, could have been as late as 92 but i don't think so, it was and made of true temper 4130, they made a couple more years of US lugged frames before swapping to tig and finally going for tiawanese manufacture. discontinuing a few years ago.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.