Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 401 to 500 of 652

Thread: Trail Pics

  1. #401
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    61
    Sheesh paul, I thought I had a lot of bikes!

  2. #402
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DoubleCentury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,955

  3. #403
    slow
    Reputation: sgltrak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    4,930
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleCentury View Post
    That is a really wide trail...

  4. #404
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DoubleCentury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,955
    Quote Originally Posted by sgltrak View Post
    That is a really wide trail...
    How is this for singletrack?


  5. #405
    Team Brooklyn
    Reputation: CCMDoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,604
    Hey DC,
    I hope you have studs on those tires.
    I mean besides the rider
    Wanted: more of the same ... but different

  6. #406
    slow
    Reputation: sgltrak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    4,930
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleCentury View Post
    How is this for singletrack?

    That will do nicely.

  7. #407
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DoubleCentury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,955
    Quote Originally Posted by CCMDoc View Post
    Hey DC,
    I hope you have studs on those tires.
    I mean besides the rider
    Ha ha, pedal lightly.

  8. #408
    gobsmacked Moderator
    Reputation: girlonbike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    8,729
    That road riding looks soooo cold. And I'm sure I would crash.

  9. #409
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DoubleCentury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,955
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    That road riding looks soooo cold. And I'm sure I would crash.
    Cold enough to be "sticky" actually, which is a lot better than slippery muddy.

  10. #410
    VRC Illuminati
    Reputation: Rumpfy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    17,621
    I like seeing Cunningham abuse!
    -eric-

    http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

  11. #411
    VRC Illuminati
    Reputation: Rumpfy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    17,621
    Quote Originally Posted by CCMDoc View Post
    ride, ride, ride, ride, ride.
    Looks like Keyesville training to me!
    -eric-

    http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

  12. #412
    VRC Illuminati
    Reputation: Rumpfy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    17,621
    My ride from yesterday.

    -eric-

    http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

  13. #413
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DoubleCentury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,955
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy View Post
    I like seeing Cunningham abuse!
    As it was intended to be used.

    Sadly, for multiple reasons, it's pretty easy to claim to be the world's most active rider of Cunningham bikes.

  14. #414
    VRC Illuminati
    Reputation: Rumpfy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    17,621
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleCentury View Post
    As it was intended to be used.
    Sadly, for multiple reasons, it's pretty easy to claim to be the world's most active rider of Cunningham bikes.
    One of the more active users for sure. Halaburt could have the title for most active user of a Cunningham. And whatever guys are still roaming about Fairfax on theirs.

    Definitely NOT Bushpig or CycleShark.
    -eric-

    http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

  15. #415
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DoubleCentury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,955
    Hopefully Mr. C gets back up on his horse and supplants both Halaburt and I for the title.

    Some bikes like this one do still get around a lot.


  16. #416
    Team Brooklyn
    Reputation: CCMDoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,604
    Coooooollllll!!!!
    Wanted: more of the same ... but different

  17. #417
    mtbr member
    Reputation: chefmiguel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,513
    You likes?
    Technology dragass

  18. #418
    Team Brooklyn
    Reputation: CCMDoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,604
    Quote Originally Posted by MattBallman View Post
    Sheesh paul, I thought I had a lot of bikes!
    Nah, I just accessorize well.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy View Post
    Looks like Keyesville training to me!
    I'm hoping I can stay on your wheel after you lap me.

    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleCentury View Post

    Some bikes like this one do still get around a lot.

    That looks to be just about my size.

    Quote Originally Posted by chefmiguel View Post
    You likes?
    Oh yessssss ....
    Wanted: more of the same ... but different

  19. #419
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    174
    one of the natives on the trail.Trail Pics-screen-shot-2015-10-05-3.16.52-pm.jpg

  20. #420
    Team Brooklyn
    Reputation: CCMDoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,604
    Cooling off but still good riding weather

    Trail Pics-image.jpg
    Trail Pics-image.jpg
    Trail Pics-image.jpg
    Wanted: more of the same ... but different

  21. #421
    mtbr member
    Reputation: chefmiguel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,513
    Looks zippy
    Technology dragass

  22. #422
    Team Brooklyn
    Reputation: CCMDoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,604
    Much cooler and damp today.

    Trail Pics-image.jpg
    Wanted: more of the same ... but different

  23. #423
    mtbr member
    Reputation: chefmiguel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,513
    Think I've seen that bike before!
    Technology dragass

  24. #424
    Team Brooklyn
    Reputation: CCMDoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,604
    Quote Originally Posted by chefmiguel View Post
    Think I've seen that bike before!
    Well, you've certainly seen those legs before
    Wanted: more of the same ... but different

  25. #425
    mtbr member
    Reputation: chefmiguel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,513
    Grrraarrrr
    Technology dragass

  26. #426
    VRC Illuminati
    Reputation: Rumpfy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    17,621
    More trial time on the FRO.

    -eric-

    http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

  27. #427
    Team Brooklyn
    Reputation: CCMDoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,604
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy View Post
    More trial time on the FRO.

    That is such a fantastic build!
    Wanted: more of the same ... but different

  28. #428
    Team Brooklyn
    Reputation: CCMDoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,604
    First ride of 2016

    Trail Pics-image.jpg
    Trail Pics-image.jpg
    Wanted: more of the same ... but different

  29. #429
    slow
    Reputation: sgltrak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    4,930
    Our trails are snow covered right now.

    Trail Pics-10593087_10208484293973834_5181578119929283414_n.jpg

  30. #430
    Team Brooklyn
    Reputation: CCMDoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,604
    Tried to get a ride in at Morris Lewis Park between dropping off my daughter at Volleyball practice and picking her up 3 hours later.

    Covered maybe a mile and my 20lb bike had to weigh over 50 at this point.

    Trail Pics-image.jpg

    Finally got to more solid ground but by that time I had to head back.

    Trail Pics-image.jpg
    Wanted: more of the same ... but different

  31. #431
    mtbr member
    Reputation: chefmiguel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,513
    Man oh man that's a lot of mud.
    Technology dragass

  32. #432
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    61
    Hey Paul, I drove past Hartshorne yesterday and it looked pretty dry. Might be worth a trip.

  33. #433
    Team Brooklyn
    Reputation: CCMDoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,604
    Hey Matt.
    Mtnwng is down that way.
    Can't tomorrow and working next weekend but perhaps the weekend after that.
    Maybe we can grab him, Chefmiguel and Fatmikeynyc for a ride down there.
    Wanted: more of the same ... but different

  34. #434
    gobsmacked Moderator
    Reputation: girlonbike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    8,729
    The problem with having so many bikes is remembering which shifters you're running on them. I got this CCR out on this beautiful day after spending an entire day looking at beautiful bikes yesterday. So inspired. I just love framebuilders.

    Trail Pics-imageuploadedbytapatalk1456632820.061443.jpg

  35. #435
    Team Brooklyn
    Reputation: CCMDoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,604
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    The problem with having so many bikes is remembering which shifters you're running on them. I got this CCR out on this beautiful day after spending an entire day looking at beautiful bikes yesterday. So inspired. I just love framebuilders.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456632820.061443.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	388.0 KB 
ID:	1052926
    That bike is gorgeous and I love your photography. Really great composition.

    The solution to remembering which shifters is to simply have multiple copies of the same (or at least similar) bike.
    Wanted: more of the same ... but different

  36. #436
    gobsmacked Moderator
    Reputation: girlonbike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    8,729
    Quote Originally Posted by CCMDoc View Post
    That bike is gorgeous and I love your photography. Really great composition.

    The solution to remembering which shifters is to simply have multiple copies of the same (or at least similar) bike.
    I guess I can go with Rumpfy's All-XT-All-The-Time philosophy!

    I actually thought of you when I was setting up the picture. I had to use a stick to prop it up. And my water bottle is very NewYorkish. Thanks for the compliment, Doc!

  37. #437
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    61
    Quote Originally Posted by CCMDoc View Post
    Hey Matt.
    Mtnwng is down that way.
    Can't tomorrow and working next weekend but perhaps the weekend after that.
    Maybe we can grab him, Chefmiguel and Fatmikeynyc for a ride down there.
    Sounds good to me.

  38. #438
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tductape's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    2,392
    Quote Originally Posted by MattBallman View Post
    Sounds good to me.
    I think the Doc will be in California that weekend, don't let him set you up.
    Seek: Koski Trailmaster. Breezer Series 2 or 3. Cunningham Racer.

  39. #439
    VRC Illuminati
    Reputation: Rumpfy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    17,621
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    I guess I can go with Rumpfy's All-XT-All-The-Time philosophy!
    You can never go wrong with M730-era XT.
    -eric-

    http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

  40. #440
    ...
    Reputation: ameybrook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    1,505
    You can never go wrong with a turkey sandwich either, but sometimes I like to go crazy and put a little cheese or tomato on top.


    Why would you own 100 Yugos when you could own 1 Porsche? - Rumpfy



  41. #441
    Mantis, Paramount, Campy
    Reputation: Shayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,676
    Step away from the deli counter
    *** --- *** --- ***

  42. #442
    velocipede technician
    Reputation: hollister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    8,864
    looking for 20-21" P team

  43. #443
    The Crazy Cat Lady of VRC
    Reputation: eastcoaststeve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2,001
    Quote Originally Posted by hollister View Post


    Very cool shot H...great perspective.




    Steve

  44. #444
    gobsmacked Moderator
    Reputation: girlonbike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    8,729
    Some hardcore riding by &;@$;!

    Trail Pics-imageuploadedbytapatalk1460855939.958913.jpg

  45. #445
    Team Brooklyn
    Reputation: CCMDoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,604
    From this

    Trail Pics-image.jpg

    to this

    Trail Pics-image.jpg

    to this in one short, local ride

    Trail Pics-image.jpg
    Wanted: more of the same ... but different

  46. #446
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DoubleCentury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,955
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    Some hardcore riding by &;@$;!
    Is that EastCoastSteve?

  47. #447
    The Crazy Cat Lady of VRC
    Reputation: eastcoaststeve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2,001
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleCentury View Post
    Is that EastCoastSteve?

    Ha...couldn't be me..no wheelie shot.

    Besides, my Colkervision says he's wearing white socks with flip flops...definitely a west-coaster.




    Steve

  48. #448
    Sneaker man
    Reputation: mik_git's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,288
    All the gear and no idea.

  49. #449
    Team Brooklyn
    Reputation: CCMDoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,604
    Quote Originally Posted by mik_git View Post
    Great weather for a ride on some awesome bikes!
    Good on you!
    Wanted: more of the same ... but different

  50. #450
    Sneaker man
    Reputation: mik_git's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,288
    Yeah, that was on the way up (by up I mean it was actually climbing, but not so much that it's really climbing) about 1/3 of the way to the end. Coming down (since I drove 2.5 hours down to do the ride) Thought it was about 5pm, dark and pretty cold. Then you come around the corner onto this straight, brilliant sun, about 10C warmer and you realise, Oh it's lunch time!
    But no bikes broke, and no riders broke..although I did try to launch it off the lip of a bridge...I jumped, the bike didn't. First time riding on flats for more than 5min in 23 years. Almost jumped straight off the bike.

    At the top
    All the gear and no idea.

  51. #451
    Team Brooklyn
    Reputation: CCMDoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,604
    Quote Originally Posted by mik_git View Post
    Yeah, that was on the way up (by up I mean it was actually climbing, but not so much that it's really climbing) about 1/3 of the way to the end. Coming down (since I drove 2.5 hours down to do the ride) Thought it was about 5pm, dark and pretty cold. Then you come around the corner onto this straight, brilliant sun, about 10C warmer and you realise, Oh it's lunch time!
    But no bikes broke, and no riders broke..although I did try to launch it off the lip of a bridge...I jumped, the bike didn't. First time riding on flats for more than 5min in 23 years. Almost jumped straight off the bike.
    At the top
    That's 5 minutes longer than I would have tried.
    I don't know how I survived riding a bike when I was a kid - no helmet, no gloves, no clips or clipless pedals, no lycra or chamois-lined baggy shorts ...

    Sounds like a great ride Mike!
    Wanted: more of the same ... but different

  52. #452
    Team Brooklyn
    Reputation: CCMDoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,604
    Trail Pics-image.jpgTrail Pics-image.jpg
    Trail Pics-image.jpg
    Wanted: more of the same ... but different

  53. #453
    Team Brooklyn
    Reputation: CCMDoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,604

    Six Mile Run with ChefMiguel

    Trail Pics-image.jpg
    Trail Pics-image.jpg
    Trail Pics-image.jpg
    Trail Pics-image.jpg
    Trail Pics-image.jpg
    Wanted: more of the same ... but different

  54. #454
    mtbr member
    Reputation: YakimaDeathYaks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    216

    1st Ride in Idaho

    Didn't notice there was a filter on with sunglasses until after i got home
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trail Pics-image.jpg  

    Trail Pics-image.jpg  

    Trail Pics-image.jpg  

    84 Ritcher Super Comp
    85 Salsa Scoboni
    85 Ritchey Timber Comp
    88 Ritchey Super Comp

  55. #455
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    61
    Sorry, I missed you guys! Trying to be a good husband despite myself!

    I'll be out there once or twice this week.


    Quote Originally Posted by CCMDoc View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	306.4 KB 
ID:	1078547
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	420.7 KB 
ID:	1078548
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	304.9 KB 
ID:	1078549
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	170.5 KB 
ID:	1078550
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	495.5 KB 
ID:	1078552

  56. #456
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    61
    Where in Idaho. Ive got people in Mccall. It was one of my favorite places to ride.

    Quote Originally Posted by YakimaDeathYaks View Post
    Didn't notice there was a filter on with sunglasses until after i got home

  57. #457
    Team Brooklyn
    Reputation: CCMDoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,604
    Quote Originally Posted by MattBallman View Post
    Sorry, I missed you guys! Trying to be a good husband despite myself!

    I'll be out there once or twice this week.
    We missed you and it was a beautiful day for a ride on vintage bikes.
    Have a blast when you do!
    Wanted: more of the same ... but different

  58. #458
    Gamers local 2112
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    807
    A few from a klunker ride we did a while back.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trail Pics-klunkerrun-17-.jpg  

    Trail Pics-klunkerrun-16-.jpg  

    Trail Pics-klunkerrun-7-.jpg  

    Trail Pics-klunkerrun-5-.jpg  


  59. #459
    CBI 2L
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    231
    Getting my steel on...






  60. #460
    Team Brooklyn
    Reputation: CCMDoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,604
    Hope you like that Yo.
    Very precise but just couldn't get mine set up properly to feel good on any terrain.
    Ameybrook raves about his and others have said the same so I's sure it was just me.

    Have to ask again - what's with the "Continuous Bladder Irrigation for 2 Liters" under your name?

    Have a safe and Happy Independence Day weekend!
    Wanted: more of the same ... but different

  61. #461
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    311

    Lobster with Montana Rocks

    Just got back from a nice road trip from the Bay Area to Montana, had some great rides in the Rockies. The Lobster met some chunky and SHARP granite rocks/boulders. I fixed 2 flats on a ~ 12 mile pretty brutal ride near Hamilton (pictures don't do the rocky terrain justice, the areas below the cliffs are all talus fields)...in either case the Lobster handled well, but the old rockshox might need some work)...unfortunately I did not get a chance to meet Eric L , but I will coordinate better next year!, thanks again Eric for the offer!)...

    Trail Pics-img_0343.jpg

    Hope you all had a good and safe 4th....cheers

    Trail Pics-img_0344.jpg

  62. #462
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rjwall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    142


    First ride in dirt for my new-to-me '90 trek 930 built up with dx parts.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  63. #463
    mtbr member
    Reputation: phattruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    449

    OC Stowe

    I took my Stowe out for a shakedown ride on the Fullerton Loop last weekend after being built in it's latest more modern incarnation. I was amazed at how well an old bike can ride when setup with a more modern set of wide bars/stort stem and a 1x drivetrain.

    Trail Pics-stowe-070916.jpg
    The Truth will set you free.

    ....but it might offend you first!

  64. #464
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    220
    Here are a few of my bikes on a few of my favorite trails. Between the Yo, Phoenix and Ultimate, I have to say, I have the most fun on the Yo.








  65. #465
    artistic...
    Reputation: colker1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,225
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeDumler View Post
    Here are a few of my bikes on a few of my favorite trails. Between the Yo, Phoenix and Ultimate, I have to say, I have the most fun on the Yo.





    MOst fun on the red or the black Yo?
    WTB: Bomber Z2 1 1/8 steerer, in good to excellent shape OR bomber rebuild kit.

  66. #466
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    220
    The red one is mine. It's a 1991. The black bike is a 2000 and it belongs to my friend. I have a 2000 Yo frame that I got without a fork, so I had Jeremy Sycip build me one. The frame and fork are currently at D&D so the fork can get a matching coat of Cherry Love on it. Once I get it built, we're going to take both 2000s out and swap bikes so we can see if the bike rides better with a BOI or a Sycip fork.

  67. #467
    artistic...
    Reputation: colker1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,225
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeDumler View Post
    The red one is mine. It's a 1991. The black bike is a 2000 and it belongs to my friend. I have a 2000 Yo frame that I got without a fork, so I had Jeremy Sycip build me one. The frame and fork are currently at D&D so the fork can get a matching coat of Cherry Love on it. Once I get it built, we're going to take both 2000s out and swap bikes so we can see if the bike rides better with a BOI or a Sycip fork.
    I bet the forks will ride the same but there will be slight geometry differences in the frames.
    WTB: Bomber Z2 1 1/8 steerer, in good to excellent shape OR bomber rebuild kit.

  68. #468
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    220
    Quote Originally Posted by colker1 View Post
    I bet the forks will ride the same but there will be slight geometry differences in the frames.
    They're built with different tubing, in different diameters, with different gussets in different locations. I'd like to think there will be at least a slight difference in the way they ride. As for the geometry, both our bikes are 2000 Yos with the same fork rake and axle to crown length. They should be pretty darn close there.

  69. #469
    artistic...
    Reputation: colker1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,225
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeDumler View Post
    They're built with different tubing, in different diameters, with different gussets in different locations. I'd like to think there will be at least a slight difference in the way they ride. As for the geometry, both our bikes are 2000 Yos with the same fork rake and axle to crown length. They should be pretty darn close there.
    I thought you would compare the 00 x 91. Tubing diameters will make a difference but i am more affected by differences in ht angles and BB drop. Geometry is the deal.
    WTB: Bomber Z2 1 1/8 steerer, in good to excellent shape OR bomber rebuild kit.

  70. #470
    Team Brooklyn
    Reputation: CCMDoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,604
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeDumler View Post
    Here are a few of my bikes on a few of my favorite trails. Between the Yo, Phoenix and Ultimate, I have to say, I have the most fun on the Yo.







    Those are some great photos. Love the composition especially the bike in the tree.
    Wanted: more of the same ... but different

  71. #471
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    50
    1995 Hawaii State MTB Championships, 2nd place



    LB Houston, Irving, TX (GW Bush was riding there that day)



    Cheraw State Park, Cheraw SC



    River Legacy Park, Arlington, TX


  72. #472
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    220
    Quote Originally Posted by CCMDoc View Post
    Those are some great photos. Love the composition especially the bike in the tree.
    Why thank you. I would never claim to have any skills as a photographer, but my friends and I have two standing rides every week and we always take pictures to send to our friends who "can't get their priorities straight". I suppose one picks up on how to make a bike look halfway decent through that kind repetition.

  73. #473
    VRC Illuminati
    Reputation: Rumpfy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    17,621
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeDumler View Post
    Why thank you. I would never claim to have any skills as a photographer, but my friends and I have two standing rides every week and we always take pictures to send to our friends who "can't get their priorities straight". I suppose one picks up on how to make a bike look halfway decent through that kind repetition.
    We need to get to work on a vintage group ride up at C.Camp.
    -eric-

    http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

  74. #474
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    311
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy View Post
    We need to get to work on a vintage group ride up at C.Camp.
    I ditto the vintage ride idea, C Camp sounds perfect, I eagerly await, I'll bring a watermelon (for post ride)

  75. #475
    Team Brooklyn
    Reputation: CCMDoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,604
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy View Post
    We need to get to work on a vintage group ride up at C.Camp.
    Come to New Jersey and ride with Cheffmiguel, Mattballman and me. We manage regular vintage bike rides.
    Wanted: more of the same ... but different

  76. #476
    mtbr member
    Reputation: screamingbunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    722
    Trail Pics-yo-race-day-2.jpg
    Annual race day on the Yo at the Berkshire MTB training Series vintage bike night
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trail Pics-yo-race-day.jpg  


  77. #477
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    220
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy View Post
    We need to get to work on a vintage group ride up at C.Camp.
    Agreed. Let's start working on that sooner, rather than later.

    Quote Originally Posted by screamingbunny View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	yo race day 2.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	231.3 KB 
ID:	1081896
    Annual race day on the Yo at the Berkshire MTB training Series vintage bike night
    I'm enjoying all of the Yo content as of late. I'm a big fan of 3DV on Team Lavender, too.

    Time to give the east coast bike bike a shot yet, Eric? Look how much fun we're all having.

    By the way, how's the shopping cart?

  78. #478
    VRC Illuminati
    Reputation: Rumpfy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    17,621
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeDumler View Post
    Agreed. Let's start working on that sooner, rather than later.



    I'm enjoying all of the Yo content as of late. I'm a big fan of 3DV on Team Lavender, too.

    Time to give the east coast bike bike a shot yet, Eric? Look how much fun we're all having.

    By the way, how's the shopping cart?

    I should have more aggressively gone after that recent Grello eBay Yo. I'll land one eventually.

    Shopping cart is hanging in the rafters for now. I have three other bikes that need to be completed first (getting close!).

    Yeees, I'll ping you about the group ride. My schedule is looking a little full, but we'll find a way to make it happen. I'll loop in a few others so we can flush out details.
    -eric-

    http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

  79. #479
    bipolar-roller
    Reputation: singletrackmack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    879
    Great morning for a ride with the dogs.

    Trail Pics-bonty-curve-.jpg

    Trail Pics-bonty-rocky.jpg
    Get out of the gutter and onto the mountain top.

    "I only had like two winekills captain buzzcooler"

  80. #480
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    220
    A couple from this week's Wednesday night outing. Apologies for the cross post from the drop bar thread, but I figured they fit here too.




  81. #481
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    220
    Another week gone by, and another project completed. Took my Fat Chance Team Comp out for its second ride tonight, and was joined by my friend Jon on his Team Comp.







    We were only one Team Comp short of Dewin' it country cool. Bonus points for anyone that can name what that's from.

  82. #482
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    183
    Mountain Dew Commercial from the late 80s (admit i used Google).

    I wanna know how the Team Comps ride? Compared to other FATs like Wicked or Yo? Love the old ones especially with the Boxcrown fork.

    Best

    Mo

  83. #483
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    220
    Quote Originally Posted by mauricer View Post
    Mountain Dew Commercial from the late 80s (admit i used Google).

    I wanna know how the Team Comps ride? Compared to other FATs like Wicked or Yo? Love the old ones especially with the Boxcrown fork.

    Best

    Mo
    Bingo! Apparently Mountain Dew had a shop in New Jersey build up three Team Comps for that commercial. One of them ended up in the hands of the producer's son, who took it to summer camp, where my friend Jon was staying that year.

    The Team Comp rides really well. The Yo is definitely more pinpoint with its steering accuracy, and seems to track better at lower speeds, especially on technical climbs. The Team Comp doesn't really wake up until you get it higher up in the middle ring. It does manage to float over rock gardens and choppy trail surfaces better than the Yo. It also feels a bit more playful as well. It likes to be tossed around the trail.

    The comparison to the Wicked is much closer, as they are basically the same bike. For the first few years, Team Comps were just Wicked frames with box crowns of specific geometry for racing and a build kit that consisted of as many American made parts as they could spec. A large number of racers actually ditched the TC box crowns for standard issue unicrowns because they had a very twitchy feel and they were known to crack. For the 89 and 90 model year (and maybe some 88 models), the Team Comp got its own, lighter weight tube set, G.P. Wilson dropouts, as well as a unicrown option that also had the G.P. Wilsons. These bikes will handle like a Wicked, but with a more compliant ride and lighter weight.

    My bike is a 1989, but I got it with a Ritchey Logic fork. To be honest though, it feels about the same as my friend's with the Fat City unicrown.

  84. #484
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    311
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeDumler View Post
    Another week gone by, and another project completed. Took my Fat Chance Team Comp out for its second ride tonight, and was joined by my friend Jon on his Team Comp.







    We were only one Team Comp short of Dewin' it country cool. Bonus points for anyone that can name what that's from.
    I got the Dew reference and remember the commercial, but didn't notice the bikes (dumb kid I was), nice rides and looks like a fun trail. What's with the painters tape, a second spare? Hopefully see you this evening Lee. Dig it, Ben

  85. #485
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    183
    Thanks for the very detailed reply Lee. Didnt Know about the frame relation between Team Comp and Wicked.

  86. #486
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    220
    Ben, the tape is actually blue electrical tape. I have about a dozen bikes that are trail ready at any given time, so instead of having a big, bulky bag for each bike with the specific size tube with the right valve, I tape each bike's spare to the frame, mount a pump on each bike (haven't gotten one for the TC yet) and just have a small bag with a multi, CO2, tire lever and a rag. I can quickly switch the bags from bike to bike and not worry about having the wrong spares. Also, keeping the saddle bag light and small means less pendulum effect when pedaling hard out of the saddle.

    Mo, I'm lucky enough to have two friends that are very avid Fat riders and collectors. They also happen to be friends with Chris, so whenever I pick up a new Fat, they give me the full rundown on the bike. Fat City actually did a fair amount of "badge engineering" in the 80's and early 90's. Some early Monsters were just other models painted with Monster decals. Some employee bikes were cleverly renamed with expletives. I've even seen "Wickeds" with the supposedly Team Comp exclusive G.P. Wilson dropouts. It gets difficult to keep track of.

  87. #487
    VRC Illuminati
    Reputation: Rumpfy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    17,621
    Dig the paint on both of those TC's. I really like the bottle opener drop out hidden on that green/yellow TC....that is way cool.

    Interesting review on the ride characteristics of the TC. I had an 89/90ish Wicked and liked it as a climber and ok on tighter slower single track. The more I opened it up, the more nervous it felt to me.

    You're crankin' out projects!

    Good to hear your process on bike ride prep too. Funny that it really does become a factor when you have several bikes that all go in rotation. For me I use a Backcountry Research Race strap. Really quick and easy to swap it from one bike to another. I have three all set with: tube, 2 CO2's, tire lever. Two on bikes in use, a spare set up in my bike gear bag. In a sock goes the multi tool, inflation device, patch kit, pin/master link, $20 bucks. Wrapped around that keeping it closed is a velcro strap with personal identification tag and emergency contact info. Dump that in the jersey pocket. Figure that's about as light as I can travel and lets me fix at least two flats before I have to hoof it. Several wraps of electrical tape around the seatpost marks saddle height and also serves emergency fix duty.
    -eric-

    http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

  88. #488
    artistic...
    Reputation: colker1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,225
    on that lightweight Team Comp tubeset; maybe it evolved to become the Wicked Lite in 93? I find their handling to be precise and the bike comfortable.. It's just not the best at jumping and getting air time.
    WTB: Bomber Z2 1 1/8 steerer, in good to excellent shape OR bomber rebuild kit.

  89. #489
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    220
    Quote Originally Posted by colker1 View Post
    on that lightweight Team Comp tubeset; maybe it evolved to become the Wicked Lite in 93? I find their handling to be precise and the bike comfortable.. It's just not the best at jumping and getting air time.
    The later Team Comps used a mix of Tange and Dillsburg. The Wicked Lites used True Temper. By the time the Wicked Lite came out, Fat City had released the Yo Eddy, so the Wicked Lite took a more relaxed geometry. It's not the same race oriented ride that the early Wickeds or TCs had.

  90. #490
    artistic...
    Reputation: colker1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,225
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeDumler View Post
    The later Team Comps used a mix of Tange and Dillsburg. The Wicked Lites used True Temper. By the time the Wicked Lite came out, Fat City had released the Yo Eddy, so the Wicked Lite took a more relaxed geometry. It's not the same race oriented ride that the early Wickeds or TCs had.
    Everyone i know who had both bikes says they ride the same.
    Both wickeds have the same wheelbase, chainstays, seat angle and head angle in every size.
    I don't know the Team Comps but i would risk saying it's the same wicked geometry.
    The wicked lite came out in 93 and didn't last long. The Yo is from 1990 and it's geometry reflects the 90s: shorter chainstays and seatstays plus oversized tubing so the wicked sales went down.
    WTB: Bomber Z2 1 1/8 steerer, in good to excellent shape OR bomber rebuild kit.

  91. #491
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    220
    Quote Originally Posted by colker1 View Post
    Everyone i know who had both bikes says they ride the same.
    Both wickeds have the same wheelbase, chainstays, seat angle and head angle in every size.
    I don't know the Team Comps but i would risk saying it's the same wicked geometry.
    The wicked lite came out in 93 and didn't last long. The Yo is from 1990 and it's geometry reflects the 90s: shorter chainstays and seatstays plus oversized tubing so the wicked sales went down.
    You are correct. I guess it's just the advertising of the Wicked Lite as being a more relaxed bike that made me think that, but I'm sure it was just in comparison to the newly released Yo.

    I had a Wicked Lite and got rid of it because I didn't like how it rode. Now I wish I would have kept it to compare it to the TC. I just remember it being more noodley than this bike is.

  92. #492
    artistic...
    Reputation: colker1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,225
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeDumler View Post
    You are correct. I guess it's just the advertising of the Wicked Lite as being a more relaxed bike that made me think that, but I'm sure it was just in comparison to the newly released Yo.

    I had a Wicked Lite and got rid of it because I didn't like how it rode. Now I wish I would have kept it to compare it to the TC. I just remember it being more noodley than this bike is.
    Probably flexier than your TC. I like it.. and the threaded BB is easy on the crank choices.
    WTB: Bomber Z2 1 1/8 steerer, in good to excellent shape OR bomber rebuild kit.

  93. #493
    VRC Illuminati
    Reputation: Rumpfy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    17,621
    95 WTB Phoenix resto mod in Santa Cruz.



    -eric-

    http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

  94. #494
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    220
    Where in Santa Cruz is that? I've only ever ridden Demo Forest whenever I make the trip down there, and only on a modern bike. Not a very vintage friendly place. I've heard there are tons of other great trails in the area though.

    I went to Joaquin Miller this morning, but on my big travel suspension bike. No VRC worthy pics to post.

  95. #495
    VRC Illuminati
    Reputation: Rumpfy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    17,621
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeDumler View Post
    Where in Santa Cruz is that? I've only ever ridden Demo Forest whenever I make the trip down there, and only on a modern bike. Not a very vintage friendly place. I've heard there are tons of other great trails in the area though.

    I went to Joaquin Miller this morning, but on my big travel suspension bike. No VRC worthy pics to post.
    Wilder Ranch. Everything there is ridable on a vintage bike for sure. A few rough patches, but overall it's fine.

    Demo is fun, definitely needs a modern bike for max enjoyment. Down side is that you have to climb in and out. Climb to DH ratio is awful. But...Flow Trail is amazing. If you attack it, the experience is even better.

    You would need to come ride UCSC. 50/50 legal/illegal depending on what we do. Again, best enjoyed on a modern bike, but I have some routes that you can do on a vintage bike. You'll be challenged and have to skip some of the features, but it can be done. We could make a monster ride out of it pairing UCSC and Wilder. We could even make a vintage ride out of it, but I would say intermediate/strong intermediate riders and at least some good base fitness would be required.
    -eric-

    http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

  96. #496
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    220
    Eric, after we get the China Camp get together behind us, maybe you can show me some of these South Bay trails.

    I've been riding the big full suspension bike all week, so I decided to add a Friday ride in this week. Wanted to get out on an old bike at least once. Good turnout for such short notice.




  97. #497
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Jason Del Rey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    2

    Riding trail on a retro style Marin muirwoods

    Riding a rigid mtb, rim brakes and a thumb shifter will make your ride fun and interesting, at the end of every trail ride i learn something new.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trail Pics-13628400_213109915751392_1945500912_n.jpg  


  98. #498
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    11
    A favorite ride. Johnson Ranch, San Luis Obispo, Ca. Cannondale Super v Carbon....Trail Pics-img_1466.jpg

  99. #499
    VRC Illuminati
    Reputation: Rumpfy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    17,621
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeDumler View Post
    Eric, after we get the China Camp get together behind us, maybe you can show me some of these South Bay trails.

    I've been riding the big full suspension bike all week, so I decided to add a Friday ride in this week. Wanted to get out on an old bike at least once. Good turnout for such short notice.

    For sure man, happy to show you.

    Anything more than 3 bikes is a great turn out to me. Nice to see JP getting out and riding regularly too.
    -eric-

    http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

  100. #500
    VRC Illuminati
    Reputation: Rumpfy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    17,621
    Quote Originally Posted by bdonley View Post
    A favorite ride. Johnson Ranch, San Luis Obispo, Ca. Cannondale Super v Carbon....
    Beautiful place to ride/live/go to school.

    Did you that steel pallet at speed and clean it?
    -eric-

    http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast