Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11

Thread: Trail Pics

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy View Post
    Not to be outdone in the scenery dept.

Retrotec on Thurs:

Phoenix on Monday:
    Great shots, Rumpfy! Those were done with a proper camera I take it.

@CCMDoc, Tomac bike, will do.

mtbr member

Last Ride of the Rascal

Trail Pics-img_3457a.jpg

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by CCMDoc View Post
    Must be hard to live with that sort of scenery every day.
    Time to work in a Tomac type bike.
    Rumpfy - I believe you have something that fits the bill.
    I do, but it hasn't been ridden recently.

Quote Originally Posted by Fillet-brazed View Post
    Those were done with a proper camera I take it.
    If by that you mean an old iPhone 4, then yes.
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com

Wanted: Syncros 27.2 x 425 seatpost

mtbr member
    Colorado had a big blizzard over the weekend, just as some cool trails were beginning to dry out below the Flat Tops Wilderness. Who am I to complain when the results are this pretty?

Trail Pics-domepeak-b.jpg

Trail Pics-flattops-b.jpg

Trail Pics-flattops4-b.jpg

Trail Pics-flattops3.jpg

Trail Pics-flattops2-b.jpg

As it is, I decided to drive 40 minutes to get below the fresh slushpack-on-mud conditions prevailing in my area. The drop from the Flat Tops to the Colorado River is rather extreme, I know a bunch of places with 1,000ft elevation change in 1/4-1/2 mile hereabouts. It was only a few degrees warmer down on the CO River Road yesterday, but was just damp from rain, not slushy. Actually, the damp helps make "Antelope Creek" rideable, more of a dry sand wash than a creek.

Here's where I like to camp, Amiga's inspecting the spinal column of some dead thing:

Trail Pics-antcrk3-b.jpg

Trail Pics-antcrk2-b.jpg

I'd like to say the deep, loose dirt and sand requires a fatbike, but last time I was there some sand-monster had laid down rail-straight tracks with skinny tires. I tried following those on my old Jamis, but wound up with a dent in my shin (and quite the ugly half-dollar-size scab from hitting my rat-trap pedal) for my troubles. Rented a fat bike for yesterday and had a much, much easier go of it, the recent moisture helped stabilize the trail. Redneck-dirt-biker-central on weekends, but I've yet to run into anyone back there on weekdays:

Trail Pics-antcrk7-b.jpg

Trail Pics-antcrk5.jpg

Trail Pics-antcrk4-b.jpg

Whatever you choose to ride, line selection is important... much better had I gone left in the next pic; and let me tell you, it's lots easier to backpedal a bit to clear a few boulders when doing so doesn't rob you of your momentum in deep softsand, so this trail is a lot tougher than it looks despite being so level. Fun, though:

Trail Pics-antcrk8-b.jpg

Trail Pics-antcrk9-b.jpg

After a few miles you get to a private-property gate and have to turn around, such a lovely view looking back. Plenty of other loop rides in the same area, though. Amiga, of course, did 4x as many miles as I did (at least), and had a wonderful day in the desert. I took lots of film photos with two of my ancient rangefinder cameras, I'm sure they'll turn out better as I can't be bothered to futz with digital to make my skies blue / not overexposed. FWIW, these pics show an awesome spot for mtn. biking that just isn't on Strava... or maps... or in guidebooks... if you like sand riding:

Trail Pics-antcrk10-b.jpg

Trail Pics-amigasage-b.jpg

Whoever you are, sand-monster, let me give you a few "notworthy" bows. I couldn't ride that straight in deep sand in my 20's, now I just get injured for trying, unless fatbike.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trail Pics-domepeak.jpg  

Trail Pics-flattops.jpg  

Trail Pics-flattops2.jpg  

Trail Pics-flattops4.jpg  

Trail Pics-antcrk2.jpg  

Trail Pics-antcrk3.jpg  

Trail Pics-antcrk4.jpg  

Trail Pics-antcrk6.jpg  

Trail Pics-antcrk7.jpg  

Trail Pics-antcrk8.jpg  

Trail Pics-antcrk9.jpg  

Trail Pics-antcrk10.jpg  

Trail Pics-amigasage.jpg  

Trail Pics-flattops3-b.jpg  

Last edited by bikefat; 06-11-2014 at 04:19 AM.
    KOA radio: Broncos 97-3 since 1975 when scoring 30+ at home.

Team Brooklyn
    Mosquitos out in full force ...

Trail Pics-image.jpg
    Wanted: more of the same ... but different

Stokeless Asshat
    Nice post. This deserved more that one thumbs up.
    Quote Originally Posted by bikefat View Post
    Colorado had a big blizzard over the weekend, just as some cool trails were beginning to dry out below the Flat Tops Wilderness. Who am I to complain when the results are this pretty?

Trail Pics-domepeak.jpg
    Trail Pics-flattops.jpg
    Trail Pics-flattops2.jpg
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	flattops3.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	71.9 KB 
ID:	893170
    Trail Pics-flattops4.jpg

As it is, I decided to drive 40 minutes to get below the fresh slushpack-on-mud conditions prevailing in my area. The drop from the Flat Tops to the Colorado River is rather extreme, I know a bunch of places with 1,000ft elevation change in 1/4-1/2 mile hereabouts. It was only a few degrees warmer down on the CO River Road yesterday, but was just damp from rain, not slushy. Actually, the damp helps make "Antelope Creek" rideable, more of a dry sand wash than a creek.

Here's where I like to camp, Amiga's inspecting the spinal column of some dead thing:

Trail Pics-antcrk2.jpg
    Trail Pics-antcrk3.jpg

I'd like to say the deep, loose dirt and sand requires a fatbike, but last time I was there some sand-monster had laid down rail-straight tracks with skinny tires. I tried following those on my old Jamis, but wound up with a dent in my shin (and quite the ugly half-dollar-size scab from hitting my rat-trap pedal) for my troubles. Rented a fat bike for yesterday and had a much, much easier go of it, the recent moisture helped stabilize the trail. Redneck-dirt-biker-central on weekends, but I've yet to run into anyone back there on weekdays:

Trail Pics-antcrk6.jpg
    Trail Pics-antcrk4.jpg
    Trail Pics-antcrk7.jpg

Whatever you choose to ride, line selection is important... much better had I gone left in the next pic; and let me tell you, it's lots easier to backpedal a bit to clear a few boulders when doing so doesn't rob you of your momentum in deep softsand, so this trail is a lot tougher than it looks despite being so level. Fun, though:

Trail Pics-antcrk8.jpg
    Trail Pics-antcrk9.jpg

After a few miles you get to a private-property gate and have to turn around, such a lovely view looking back. Plenty of other loop rides in the same area, though. Amiga, of course, did 4x as many miles as I did (at least), and had a wonderful day in the desert. I took lots of film photos with two of my ancient rangefinder cameras, I'm sure they'll turn out better as I can't be bothered to futz with digital to make my skies blue / not overexposed. FWIW, these pics show an awesome spot for mtn. biking that just isn't on Strava... or maps... or in guidebooks... if you like sand riding:

Trail Pics-antcrk10.jpg
    Trail Pics-amigasage.jpg

Whoever you are, sand-monster, let me give you a few "notworthy" bows. I couldn't ride that straight in deep sand in my 20's, now I just get injured for trying, unless fatbike.
    Zip ties? Not on my bike!

Want:
    650B rims or wheel set. 80's vintage 32 or 36 x 135mm

mtbr member
    Great pictures Rumpfy.

mtbr member
    This week's riding was spent exploring the area around the "Old Oak Creek Road". Go SW from Oak Creek on RCR25 to a 'T' intersection, make a right, and park where RCR29 crosses the creek about a mile up. This is a 10-mile, 15-minute drive from my house, unfortunately Oak Creek's surrounded by private property. This 10-mile stretch is quite popular for joggers / dog-walkers / horseback-riders / bikes / cycles, plus a good bit of vehicle traffic the back-way between OC, P-burg and Yampa... so I'd just as soon drive it and get into some National Forest to do my mountain biking.

Amiga's happy if she can get out of the truck and play in some water, and Oak Creek is right handy there at the unmarked trailhead. This valley is all beavered up, I really love beavered-up meandering creeks. However, the road diverges from the creek for the first coupla miles:

Trail Pics-oakcrk1.jpg

Trail Pics-oakcrkrd1.jpg

Although it does provide a brief glimpse of the current object of my obsession, Sand Point. Old Oak Creek Road is the start/finish of my loop ride around Sand Point, below which are the headwaters of Oak Creek, at the northern terminus of the Little Flat Tops:

Trail Pics-oakcrkrd2.jpg

The forest is reclaiming this old road back to singletrack in places; it's been long closed to driving, but used to be the vehicle route from Dunckley Pass to Oak Creek. The trail's wide enough you can choose to ride over or around most logs, some sections are even turf. Looks like a coupla dirt-bikers were back there Memorial Day, but this short stretch is another hidden gem you can have to yourself on weekdays.

Trail Pics-oakcrkrd3.jpg

Trail Pics-oakcrkrd5.jpg

Pretty soon you ride out of the aspens and into some dense spruce/pine forest. Trouble ahead! Took a ding out of my helmet ducking and weaving through the deadfall, but this is a pretty flat stretch so I had fun hammering down and speeding through it...

Trail Pics-oakcrkrd6.jpg

Next you'll find the most perplexing "loop" sign ever, as there's no trail intersection to be found anywhere near it. It is an invitation to bushwhack through a small valley with a cute little rivulet draining it, which would be the direct route to the next stage (Chapman Reservoir Road, above the snow-line as yet) of my Sand Point Loop -- I don't like to ride North Fork Road as the sharp gravel is hard on Amiga's paws, so I've been scouting ways to avoid it; looks like 1/2 mile total, not bad.

Trail Pics-loop.jpg

Trail Pics-oakcrkrd7.jpg

The sunny pics are from Wednesday, when it got to 85*F; otherwise we've had some rainy, rainy weather around here lately. Later pics are from yesterday morning, just pretend they're all from the same ride 'cuz that's what we did this morning. Amiga's thrilled by shallow water to run through, she made several charges up and down the rivulet (always staying in sight of me, couldn't ask for a better backcountry buddy) before I attempted my crossing. My rides need water for her at regular intervals, she will drink gallons of the stuff!

Trail Pics-amigawater.jpg

At this point, we've met back up with Oak Creek, which I'd rather follow than take the short-cut; did I mention I love beavered-up valleys? Upon arrival at the oil well, there's a switchback which takes you to another oil well, at which point you're across the street (North Fork Road) from the turnoff for Chapman Reservoir Road, which takes you up on top of the Little Flat Tops, at which point you can head South and meet up with the Sand Creek trail I posted earlier in the thread, and take it down to Sheriff's Reservoir.

The second shot shows a gap in the ridgeline, going up-and-over will drop you down to Trout Creek, more about that later:

Trail Pics-oakcrk2.jpg

Trail Pics-oakcrk3.jpg

Trail Pics-oilwell1.jpg

Looking back down on the oil well from the unmarked road to Trout Creek:

Trail Pics-oilwell2.jpg

Google Earth makes it look like there's a trail the other side of Trout Creek from here, see the graded line through the aspen grove ahead? But, if this was once a ford, it's been washed out this spring. The "trail" might be an irrigation ditch, but it doesn't matter as there's an in-holding in the way of riding Trout Creek back down to RCR29 (Trout Creek Recreation Area) to complete the loop, even if it were fordable. That in-holding's on the market, though...

Trail Pics-troutcrk1.jpg

Trail Pics-troutcrk2.jpg

Wound up pushing the bike halfway back up the grinding hill; what started as a glorious morning turned into rain/sleet/snow and slicked up the mud something fierce. Amiga, the bike, and I were thoroughly muddy by the time we made it back to the truck this afternoon. Love my bike, what a reliable old steed for explorations such as this; although rigid vintage mtn biking is practically another sport from what we have now, I sure have fun being all discriminating about my lines.

Trail Pics-jamisdiablo-4.jpg

There's a single-track trail from Sheriff's Reservoir which follows Trout Creek north to North Fork Road; after a short bit you can take a double-track over to the gap between Trout and Oak Creeks and ride down to the oil well, taking Old Oak Creek Road back to the starting point.

In the meantime, while some more snow melts, I'll be exploring the area due East of Yampa known as "The Slide," you can see some nice singletrack dropping down to the North of it all the way to Lynx Pass / Morrison Creek. Teaser view from Google Earth:

Trail Pics-theslide.jpg

See that hogback North of the bottom of The Slide? My neighbor hunts back there and says I ought to be able to mtn. bike across under that hogback (just grass, so I'm told) to work my way over for a photo opp. Many roads lead to The Slide, unfortunately there's only one that doesn't cross private land, and that's going due North from Toponas... I'll see if I can drive the truck to the top tomorrow or Monday, Green Ridge gets less snow than the Flat Tops so it may be clear, in which case that looks like some awesome riding in there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff View Post
    Nice post. This deserved more that one thumbs up.
    Thanks. I got all anal-retentive, going back and replacing the images... got the Perfectly Clear plugin for Photoshop; better, faster, and cheaper than me, however, doesn't fix my aquamarine-skies issue. So there's a before-and-after thing going on, now. A must-have plugin -- don't gripe about the cost if you can fork over for Photoshop to begin with...

mtbr member
    The deep snow persists at 10K' and above, I know 'cuz I rode up Chapman Reservoir Road the other day. That's the res down on the right; the obnoxious thing about the approach to the Little Flat Tops is the lack of a view of Sand Point except in a couple of places:

Trail Pics-chapmanrd-1.jpg

A little further on is a handy buffalo/malamute wallow, much better for the dog to cool off in it rather than detour to Chapman...

Trail Pics-amigapond-1.jpg

Trail Pics-amigapond-3.jpg

Trail Pics-amigapond-2.jpg

...as the last thing I want to do when climbing 3,000' in about 10 miles, is detour down to anything -- climbing back up some of the grades around here can be a real *****. There are some water crossings which have inadequate culverts and flow right across the road, but you can see there's a rather abrupt snow-line 2,000' above my starting point, yet. This is exactly where the road transitions from being driveable in my lowered Prelude, to needing 4x4:

Trail Pics-amigasnow.jpg

Trail Pics-jamisdiablo-5.jpg

Trail Pics-chapmanrd-2.jpg

We're having a gorgeous, mild spring hereabouts. So I suppose I should be less antsy about the rest of my route melting off, and relax by riding the lower parts with the dog to get in any sort of condition to climb the upper part.

Team Brooklyn
    A little local riding

Trail Pics-image.jpg
    Trail Pics-image.jpg
    Trail Pics-image.jpg

mtbr member
    Awfully pretty forest, there, wherever there is!

A little local riding

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	326.6 KB 
ID:	902873

Views:	35 
Size:	351.0 KB 
ID:	902874

Views:	35 
Size:	317.5 KB 
ID:	902875

mtbr member
    Amiga and I both managed to get injured on our last ride (bike's fine, though), so pardon the tl;dr, I'm really, really bored. One more week of bed rest for both of us, then we'll ease on back out there. Hopefully my ride will be snow-free by then, if it hasn't been for a coupla weeks already. I could just kick myself for not bringing a camera along last time, one of the most glorious days I've ever had in the mountains with a bike and a dog -- well worth the month off for injury... Search Google Earth for "mtn biking the flat tops", it's as close as I've come to seeing another mtb'r up there! The satellite imagery is dated Aug 18, 2011, which was a deep-snow winter; what I experienced June 17th was pretty much identical.

Kinda frustrating to be laid up, I'd like to know when this route opens in an average year. Best-case scenario for this loop, would be rideable maybe 5 months of the year; worst-case, about six weeks. It's a heckuva climb for a "Middle-Aged Man" like me. It's gnarly, unless you're used to riding pine-bough-strewn rock gardens so fresh the avalanches musta been from that last blizzard back in early May. So fragrant! Like huffing Pine-Sol... And so revealing of how bad my tires suck, but then again, I've never ridden over pine boughs/limbs/trunks strewn about over rockslide before. Now that's backcountry! Not sure what the right tire would be for that...

I'm sure I'll be back up there with the camera some morning (light's only right in the am), terrain so steep I get "reverse vertigo" trying to ride it. Hard to believe I've lived here for 21 years without ever riding Chapman Res Rd. Just amazing, even scary in a psychological way like Devil's Causeway, because of how the scenery moves at different speeds in your peripheral vision, than the road moves where you're focusing. Anyway, just an amazing spot for a ride, would be nice to run into another living soul up there one of these days -- I like to avoid the crowds, but not to the extent of feeling like the last person on Earth every time I go up there!

Meanwhile, thought I'd post some pics I took around Oak Creek when Ride the Rockies came through -- normally we don't have enough visitors to need two dozen porta-potties in a 1 1/2 acre park. The singletrack starts half a block from my home, at the other end of this alley. The cones are because of the retaining wall sliding into the alley as the hill shifts. Neighbor is about to restore the car (he just finished a sweet CJ-5 resto), forgot what model but definitely a vintage Ford:

Trail Pics-alley1.jpg

Trail Pics-alley2.jpg

Trail Pics-octrail1.jpg

Trail Pics-amigatrail.jpg

Takes but a minute to get to where Amiga is, there. Not much of a trail, but quite handy! I'll be snowshoeing it to pack it down for the fatbike, come winter. One branch off the singletrack is the back-way into the park:

Trail Pics-octrail2.jpg

There are two other options, one is grinding up the hill... No, Amiga! Not that way! Daddy's legs are spaghetti today:

Trail Pics-octrail5.jpg

The other way drops down to Oak Creek, there's even a ratty old gazebo down there -- at least we don't have vagrants sleeping in it! This parcel of open space is 1/2 the size and 1/100th the controversy of the Rita Valentine over in Steamboat, just an awesome spot for a quick morning ride, or to let the dogs play:

Trail Pics-octrail6.jpg

Trail Pics-octrail3.jpg

Trail Pics-ocgazebo.jpg

Trail Pics-octrail4.jpg

(lens flare in my shots is deliberate, unlike my finger...)

The Around-the-Town Trail is a work in progress, though. When finished it'll be plenty steep in places, meaning most folks will hike it. I post the trailhead pic 'cuz I like the MTB icon on it (more of a fatbike, really), funny thing is the sign is at a dead-end you have to access from above unless you want to ford the creek. The town's working to get an easement for a public bridge, or at least a culvert, to make this into a loop trail. The short loop would be maybe 1/2 - 3/4 of a mile (I suck at estimating distances longer than a par 5), starting and finishing in the town park -- a nice amenity.

Trail Pics-octrail7.jpg

Trail Pics-octrailhead.jpg

Looking the other way, there's a great swimming hole for the dogs/kids. In between is a cute little bridge over a boggy spot:

Trail Pics-oakcreek3.jpg

Trail Pics-chomps1.jpg

Trail Pics-chomps2.jpg

A little further the singletrack turns to dirt road under the CO 131 underpass, for a couple of blocks. Had to snap a pic of the sweet vintage bike, then there's an easement where the trail crosses a vacant lot...

Trail Pics-underpass.jpg

Trail Pics-sweetbike.jpg

Trail Pics-octrail10.jpg

...after which comes a dreadfully-steep climb, but I push my bike up hills a lot. ;-) At the top, you can look back over the town, nice view. The riders down below are doing Ride the Rockies, normally not that many bikes about...

Trail Pics-oakcreek2.jpg

Trail Pics-oakcreek.jpg

I'm right in the middle of town, so I don't get a view of the Little Flat Tops / Sand Point like some other folks do. Still, where else can you get in a ride that's about 3 miles (half of it singletrack), and loops you around your local grocery, pharmacy, Post Office, liquor/ammo/video-rental, and insanely good seasonal taco stand? About time to get Amiga a doggie backpack...

The West's Best Road Food - Sunset

I like how Lupita's in Oak Creek is their one exception to the rule of only getting seafood tacos/burritos within sight of the ocean. It's like a pound of food for $8. If I think of it early enough in the day, I'll grab a couple burritos to throw in the fire (wrapped in foil) if we camp out. They almost always have chicken/beef/pork, shrimp, and mahi-mahi; sometimes they have catfish or coho salmon, yum! This is not a fast-food burrito... I order and pay at the beginning of the ride, and pick up my food on the flip-side.

Stokeless Asshat
    Lupita's is the bomb.
    Zip ties? Not on my bike!

Want:
    650B rims or wheel set. 80's vintage 32 or 36 x 135mm

Team Brooklyn
    Wow!
    Nice scenery

What happened to Amiga?

mtbr member
    What happened to Amiga?
    Some fat oaf riding an old Jamis crashed on top of her. Entirely the dog's fault, of course...

Team Brooklyn
    Quote Originally Posted by bikefat View Post
    Some fat oaf riding an old Jamis crashed on top of her. Entirely the dog's fault, of course...
    That bastard!

Hope she poops in his cycling shoes

Team Brooklyn
    Mosquitos were out in full force tonight and I didn't have enough forethought to "Off" myself.

Trail Pics-image.jpg

Team Brooklyn
    A local ride on the Keyesville bike

Trail Pics-image.jpg

mtbr member
    Hope she poops in his cycling shoes
    Good thing she didn't, as this turns out to be not my fault. Or even Amiga's, altho she will play chicken with a freight train. She even got run over (I saw it, and I mean run over, rolled her twice) by a car back in March, but was fine.

The vets want to say she has OCD (osteochondritis dessicans) in her shoulder, but even the orthopedic specialist-vet in Denver doesn't know what to make of her X-ray having both a cyst of soft bone, and a ridge of dense bone, in just the one shoulder. But they all agree the car and bike running her down at most made the problem manifest sooner, rather that being causal. Her X-rays have been forwarded to the CSU vet hospital.

Maybe it is my fault, for not educating myself about the fact that the last thing anyone should feed a large-breed puppy is large-breed puppy food, in particular Nutro (spiked with Zinc since the Mars takeover several years back, in addition to the way-too-much-calcium all such foods have), until she was 3 months old. But, I did everything I could to educate myself about why so many dogs go lame in their later years, and did the best I could on diet & exercise.

Maybe this is genetic? It would be nice to have more answers than questions, but the upshot is my pup is in pain from walking around the block, to the point of considering amputation of her right foreleg. We haven't ridden since June 17th and I won't go without her.

So if anyone here prays, **** me, my riding buddy needs 'em right now.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    heal up Amiga

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11