mtbr member

New question here. torque specs '96 RS Judy XC

have two old judys w/ different length steerer tubes, one w/ TAC and one w/o; i want to run the one w/ the englund air setup but there is no way in H-E-double-toothpick that the internals are coming out (even the guys at MRP tried last year).

so i thought i could just have the steerer tubes pressed out, swapped, and pressed back in, but the LBS says no way, that i must remove the crowns from the stanchions (which kinda sucks 'cuz "the one" is kinda faded (bonty black crowns)).

so... what is the proper torque to tighten those 4 bolts once i make the switch?

thanks.

(these are the old "champagne" ones, 1" threaded, to jog people's memory).
    -
    .And following our will and wind . . .
    . . .We'll ride the spiral to the end
    and may just go where no one's been.

JJY
    mtbr member

Judy Torque Spec's

The crown pinch bolt torque for the small first generation bolts are 60in/lbs. I've used a little heat (torch) to get a set of messed up plastic Judy top caps loose, but that will kill them if you over cook it. I have also had success putting a wrap of thin cloth or a few layers of masking tape around the Total Air removal tool to take up the gap so it won't spin in the air cap. If you plan on heating up the T/A's I would use a heat gun or hair dryer to the (stantions) only not the top cap. Parts are not available if you BBQ them.

-John Y.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg ta.JPG (104.5 KB, 107 views)

mtbr member
    thanks for the torque specs...

it's not the air cartridges themselves that i can't get to, it's the stuff in the lowers (bolts just spin and spin from the bottom)– MRP even tried a pneumatic air hammer/driver thingy when i had the cartridges rebuilt.

now i guess i need to buy a torque wrench.
    Last edited by gotdirt; 07-20-2008 at 08:26 PM.
    -

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gotdirt
    thanks for the torque specs...

it's not the air cartridges themselves that i can't get to, it's the stuff in the lowers (bolts just spin and spin from the bottom) MRP even tried a pneumatic air hammer/driver thingy when i had the cartridges rebuilt.

now i guess i need to buy a torque wrench.

so maybe there were issued torque specs. I never noticed or used those back in the day...

regarding the spinning bolts on the bottom, have you tried putting lots of pressure in the cartridge and even compressing the fork while trying to loosen? I've had a hard time with those a few times but have never had one I wasnt able to break free...

JJY
    mtbr member
    I ran in to the same problem with the lower mounting bolts. I finally had to stick a modified Judy elastomer stack in the stantions. With a few small bocks of wood I shoved the fork in a vice and compressed it from the brake bridge to the crown it untill it bottomed out. Quick twist and the bolts gave up the ghost. -John Y.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fillet-brazed
    regarding the spinning bolts on the bottom, have you tried putting lots of pressure in the cartridge and even compressing the fork while trying to loosen? I've had a hard time with those a few times but have never had one I wasnt able to break free...
    yep, tried that... and like i said, the tech at MRP who rebuilt my cartridges for me even tried a pneumatic hammer thingy.

Quote Originally Posted by JJY
    I ran in to the same problem with the lower mounting bolts. I finally had to stick a modified Judy elastomer stack in the stantions. With a few small bocks of wood I shoved the fork in a vice and compressed it from the brake bridge to the crown it untill it bottomed out. Quick twist and the bolts gave up the ghost. -John Y.
    well here's an important question... since i didn't install these things so many years ago, what all is down in there? and, assuming i get that out, what's involved in re-installing in different lowers? i'm guessing a special tool of some sort since there's obviously a nut or bolt-retaining-device on the other end, waaaaay down in the fork legs.
    -

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gotdirt
    yep, tried that... and like i said, the tech at MRP who rebuilt my cartridges for me even tried a pneumatic hammer thingy.

well here's an important question... since i didn't install these things so many years ago, what all is down in there? and, assuming i get that out, what's involved in re-installing in different lowers? i'm guessing a special tool of some sort since there's obviously a nut or bolt-retaining-device on the other end, waaaaay down in the fork legs.

nope, those are the bolts (the ones spinning) that hold on the lowers.

you can always just cut off the bolt heads and the forks will come apart. Once they're apart you should be able to remove the remainder of the bolt and salvage the cartridge.

JJY
    mtbr member
    Here is a picture of what is lurking in your lowers. Since you can't pull the lowers to lube the bushings I would pull the cartirdges out and dump some fork oil (10cc.) down each side to keep it all lubricated. It will eventually find it's way out of the bottom bolts so store the bike upside down.You may be able to clean the bolts with alcohol and goop up the contact area with silocone before dumping the oil, it may slow the bleeding. Once the bushing dry up the stantions will score & scuff and the fork will be toast. -John Y.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    thanks, that is helpful... so there is nothing on the end of those rods to "wrench", even if you could get something down there? i assume those springs are the bushings you're talking about, and just serve to keep the rod centered in the lower?
    -

mtbr member
    so those rods in the lowers just act as extensions to the rods leaving the air cartridges (pictured)?

TAC.jpg
    -