mtbr member

Took 10 years off from riding, old bike is still making me smile

Typical story - rode a lot in college, graduated, got other interest like motorcycles, boats, etc and took 10+ years off. Last year started feeling soft, so bought a new CX bike to get into shape.

As a result, I started MTBing again, and am using my 1996 Marin Pine Mountain. The more I rode, the more I liked it. I broke a few old wore out parts, and started updating the bike.

Now it has ritchey wcs mini bar ends and grips, SD 5 brakes, 1x8 drive train, Specialized Fastrack Control tires, and a few other little bits. I thought I would buy a new MTB bike soon, but so far I don't like any significantly more than this:

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Took 10 years off from riding, old bike is still making me smile-10354687843_eb3992b812_c.jpg  

sftrydr
    Welcome back to the Church of the Holy Rollers Chad, where the doors are always open to the wayward ones to rejoin the flock in their worship of all things dirt.

Nice bike too, in this forum all things purple are welcomed

mtbr member
    Hey Sully, riding Galbeith today when my cousin pointed to a house and said, thats where Sully used to live. That must have been one great location to come home to.
    Seek: Koski Trailmaster. Breezer Series 2, or 3. Fillet brazed Ibis Custom. Cunningham Racer. Otis Guy (but not that softride model). That's all I need I don't need anything else... except... except for an old Mountain Goat bar stem combo. And that's all I need. I don't need anything else. Except.....

sftrydr
    The cabin on the hill, yep, nice Cedars +Hemlocks right out my door.
    Thanx for the walk back...good way to start the day.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chad_M View Post
    Typical story - rode a lot in college, graduated, got other interest like motorcycles, boats, etc and took 10+ years off. Last year started feeling soft, so bought a new CX bike to get into shape.

As a result, I started MTBing again, and am using my 1996 Marin Pine Mountain. The more I rode, the more I liked it. I broke a few old wore out parts, and started updating the bike.
    I collapsed my T4-T6 vertebrae in April '02, just got back on the bike this summer. I might give my '90 Jamis Diablo some TLC parts-wise, because I still love riding it. The only reason I'm contemplating a new (fat) bike is I "need" to ride in the snow. Or at least, that's what my malamute puppy loves doing, and it does get me out riding even though it hurts right between my shoulder blades, with fat tires or shocks even.

At 7 months, Amiga's just gotten to where I need the big chainring to keep up with / ahead of her. Strapped to my waist whenever I ride, she walk-pulls me up the hills. I'd rather she didn't run-pull me until she's done growing. So I doubt I'll quit riding my Jamis any time soon, but it's worth pointing out it only has about 9 years of hard, non-winter use, with many a good dog at my side; two of those 11 riding years I had it, I always rode my roomie's new Moots YBB (97-99).

The sticker says I bought it at Full Cycle on Uni Hill, this was my 2nd college bike after my '88 Rockhopper was stolen. This bike once had a nicer seat/post, also stolen. The pics show all the parts I claim in my profile, none newer than '93 or so. I'm not such a delicate rider that I've never knocked a wheel out of true or broken a spoke, but I've not done either with the Pulstar hubs. Spokes didn't need a turn even after sitting in a shed for 11 years. Tire sidewalls are fraying even though the tread's fine.

Took 10 years off from riding, old bike is still making me smile-jamisdiablo-1.jpg
    Took 10 years off from riding, old bike is still making me smile-jamisdiablo-2.jpg
    Took 10 years off from riding, old bike is still making me smile-jamisdiablo-3.jpg
    Took 10 years off from riding, old bike is still making me smile-apu.jpg

Amiga's favorite toy is that green log in the pic. Runs around the yard with it in her mouth, shakes it like it's prey (remarkably strong neck), lays down and chews it... Knows "gee", "haw", "hike", "easy", and "wait" commands on the bike, started her riding around the back yard at 12 weeks. She's already bigger and stronger than my last malamute I had back when I bought my Jamis. I call her my APU -- auxiliary power unit!

slow
    Quote Originally Posted by bikefat View Post
    I collapsed my T4-T6 vertebrae in April '02, just got back on the bike this summer...
    Welcome back to the sport and welcome to the forum! Beautiful dog and cool bike. (May want to do something about those tires before a blown sidewall leaves you stranded.)

MW

Stokeless Asshat
    Or "back" in the hospital.
    Zip ties? Not on my bike!

Want:
    650B rims or wheel set. 80's vintage 32 or 36 x 135mm

mtbr member
    Must admit I'm new to the whole "vintage MTB" concept -- last time I rode, my bike was merely obsolete! And you could still get a Ritchey Megabite tire for under $20. Returned the demo fatbike to my LBS yesterday, went tire shopping. Do comparable replacements really cost like $70/tire now? Good God, why? OK, so Clinton was President last time I bought a MTB tire, but that's way more than the rate of inflation justifies -- would they be that much better than my old go-to Megabites?

I couldn't justify a pair of tires worth more than the bike I'm putting them on, came home with Kenda K831's. While I'm all for staying out of the hospital, after taking a ride, I can't help but think I shoulda ridden the old Megabites 'til they blew.

I also shoulda taken the old tires off before going 20 miles to the LBS, woulda come home with some fresh rim tape. As it is, I improvised some repairs of the dry, cracked, old rim tape with some Shoe Goo. Cheap new tires suck. Guess I'll live with 'em though, considering I want a fat bike, and the last set of 4 tires I bought for my car cost less than a Bud/Lou set!

I can throw the old tires away, right? Only collectible if they're minty-fresh?

OTOH, some Shoe Goo would patch those frayed sidewalls right up, and reattach the tread caps to the sidewalls...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sgltrak View Post
    Welcome back to the sport and welcome to the forum! Beautiful dog and cool bike. (May want to do something about those tires before a blown sidewall leaves you stranded.)
    Thanks! But I've actually trail-repaired a blown sidewall and carry the kit needed... opened up my time-capsule seat bag and sewing-machine-oiled my vintage (obsolete?) pump, used it to inflate the new tires, still a nice pump:

Took 10 years off from riding, old bike is still making me smile-cannondalebag.jpg

Always liked the little Cannondale bag, fits exactly what I need:

Took 10 years off from riding, old bike is still making me smile-bagcontents.jpg

Surprisingly, the glue in the patch kit is still good. That's a Ritchey multi-tool w/ chain-breaker and nipple wrenches; presta/schrader converter for my pump; ancient Quik-Stik; still-good spare tube; and a sidewall patch! Just big enough for this job:

Took 10 years off from riding, old bike is still making me smile-sidewall.jpg

Yes, Amiga's allowed on the couch.

Stokeless Asshat
    Yep. That tire boot will help.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Took 10 years off from riding, old bike is still making me smile-dejection.jpg  

Zip ties? Not on my bike!

Want:
    650B rims or wheel set. 80's vintage 32 or 36 x 135mm

mtbr member
    There are some things I don't like about my bike. When I bought it, I thought the ders sucked. And they do, performance-wise. But in terms of reliability? They get the job done like they always have. After being away for a while, what shocked me was breaking a chain (and bending a chainring) on my 2nd ride of the demo Kona Wo fatbike. Apparently, I'm supposed to ease off the pedals when shifting, now? Never broke the chain on the Jamis, and I've always shifted up and down under full power.

Do chains suck now, vs. BITD? Or is it the ders? I was on flat, dry pavement when I broke it. The guys at the LBS said they break chains all the time. I don't recall LBS folks saying that 15-20 years ago, or advising me to take it easy when I shift?

But the brakes are what really suck. So do the levers, they're plastic and have lots of flex in them, but I'm not looking to upgrade those -- plastic levers are best for cold-weather riding because they aren't heat-sinks which freeze your fingers if you're riding the brakes on a long downhill (which I do cuz I always have a dog tethered to me). What I'd like are longer cantilevers but without sacrificing modulation.

Suggestions on a period-correct brake upgrade?