Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: toad.

artistic...

toad.

one of the firts bikes that made me go oooohhh!!!. not even in person but from a mag test (mtn biking). prestige tubing(aaaahhh), accutrax fork and geometry that's perfect for me... sniff, memories.any photos please?
    another bike that made a strong impression: brodie sovereign.

Lawyer Time! No Comment.

Toadie

Quote Originally Posted by colker1
    one of the firts bikes that made me go oooohhh!!!. not even in person but from a mag test (mtn biking). prestige tubing(aaaahhh), accutrax fork and geometry that's perfect for me... sniff, memories.any photos please?
    another bike that made a strong impression: brodie sovereign.
    My buddy has a Brodie, I think it may even be the sovereign. Not sure though, he was sponsored by them, Bullseye, and of course, Etto. All that stuff hangs dormant in his garage, except the brodie, which after about 15 or so years, is finally getting replaced with a custom job Curtlo is building at the moment, mostly due to not getting any decent power out of the rear U. I'll try to get some pics of it. Stunning paint. Maple leafed airbrushed... In the meantime, here are a few pics of ye old Off Road Toad...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Nothing left to lose, & half mad.

artistic...

thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by flyingsuperpetis
    My buddy has a Brodie, I think it may even be the sovereign. Not sure though, he was sponsored by them, Bullseye, and of course, Etto. All that stuff hangs dormant in his garage, except the brodie, which after about 15 or so years, is finally getting replaced with a custom job Curtlo is building at the moment, mostly due to not getting any decent power out of the rear U. I'll try to get some pics of it. Stunning paint. Maple leafed airbrushed... In the meantime, here are a few pics of ye old Off Road Toad...
    this site is my new home.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

an Off Road Toad!!

I was just going to post a query about seeing some ORT's... I lusted after one of those way back in the day!

I came close with my purchase of a Brodie Expresso a few years ago. Got it used from the 'net from a fellow in Vancouver (I am in Michigan)

Love 'dem Canadian bikes!

I would love to see more pics of Off Road Toads! And early Brodies!

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by Agamemmnon
    I was just going to post a query about seeing some ORT's... I lusted after one of those way back in the day!

I came close with my purchase of a Brodie Expresso a few years ago. Got it used from the 'net from a fellow in Vancouver (I am in Michigan)

Love 'dem Canadian bikes!

I would love to see more pics of Off Road Toads! And early Brodies!
    I was going to make the same post too...
    I have yet to see one for sale.

I know very little of the history of ORT's...
    How are they related to Curtlo and Brodie?
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

regarding Toads

Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy
    I was going to make the same post too...
    I have yet to see one for sale.

I know very little of the history of ORT's...
    How are they related to Curtlo and Brodie?
    Well, that I am not sure about. All I know is that thet shared that classic sloping top tube layout that was so radical back then. I still have old MBA's wtih ads in them. In fact, I just found my duplicates of MBA issues from the "Golden Era" and may be wandering thru them to see what I have. I will scan an ad and post it!

p.s. I posted a query earlier today on the Canadian bikes NG about pics of old Brodies and ORT's

Holy Chromoly!!
    Off Road Toad.. don't know much about them, other than that Chris DeKerf has build some Toad's and that Toad was also a brand from Vancouver-bike-scene.

Toad's had some really light steel frames, with some very distictive features, such as the seatpostbinder that was placed several cm's down on the seattube, below the toptube-seatstay connection at the seattube. Supposed to be lighter... nice, but it required a longer seatpost to stick in the frame, thus it didn't got lighter

Here some pic's I have on my harddrive....

First one is the bike used in the MBA for a test between the Off Road Toad, DeKerf Team, American Flyer Ti and a Brodie.

The next ones are from a Toad that was sold via Ebay a year or two back, over in Germany.... If it was a inch smaller, it was mine...

No, I am not retro.... I am way ahead of my time...

"...though a lot of marijuana was smoked in the early days of mountain bike development, not all of the riders were potsmoking hippies... " Frank J. Berto

Who's that f#$king Doug Lexington?!

Holy Chromoly!!
    Here some pictures from my collection on the harddrive, from Paul Brodie....

Next Sovereign is a very nice specimen that was on display at the Koeln Bike Messe late August last year (germany) and is property of some one from Austria for as far as I remember. All dashed out with IRD brakes (U-brake style at the rear).

A '89 Brodie....

Mr. Brodie in person...

Last... and one of my own bikes; a '96 DeKerf Generation with the Brodie Gatorblade rigid fork. The hardest rigid fork I ever owned... Still gets it's fair share of singletrack bashing. This bike begs for fast singletracks!

"...though a lot of marijuana was smoked in the early days of mountain bike development, not all of the riders were potsmoking hippies... " Frank J. Berto

artistic...
    [QUOTE=Jeroen]Here some pictures from my collection on the harddrive, from Paul Brodie....

on mtn biking, john olsen tested the toad. the bike was a product of a shop called mountain and beach, in vancouver.
    check the tubes in the green toad: oversized prestige.probably ultralight prestige. i have a bike built with those and it's the best thing i have ever ridden, incl.my current ibis mojo.
    want: Ibis ti handlebar. suntour 31.8 front derr. bottom pull

Tear it all out! SuperModerator
    Off Road Toad was the in house brand of the Mountain & Beach bike store here in Vancouver. It used to be "THE" place to see all the high end, expensive mtn bike parts here in Vancouver. Going in there was like going in to a candy store.

The main guy there was Ross Kirkwood. Ross is still around the area, but I'm not sure if he is still in to mtn bikes at all. I know he is involved with cruiser bikes.

I haven't seen one for sale here for a long time, but I have been keeping my eye out.

I did see one being ridden on Mt. Fromme about a year ago though.

mtbr member
    Was his name Ross or Rod? I 'm pretty sure the cruiser club guy is Rod. Anyways, I never see Toads around Vancouver - where have they all gone!! I'll still see Sovereigns on the street and the old Rockies, but no Toads. Definitely rare.

I'm pretty sure it was Ross. I used to go to Mountain & Beach quite a bit when he had the store.

To Google we go...

http://www.nsmb.com/trail_tales/its_the_shore_09_00.php

"Ross Kirkwood is generally credited with building the first North Shore trail in 1983 (although he says he wasn't the first). The Kirkford trail on Grouse is steep and challenging and in it's day was considered the pinnacle of gnarl. It lacks built structures but the switch backs with drops in the middle, tight corners and rocky drops make it (like all of Kirkwood's trails) wickedly fun. This was in the era before pads, suspension and low saddles. If you think Kirkford is an easy trail get yourself a 1989 Ritchey (or Norco for that matter) with rigid forks, put the saddle up all the way, make sure that your 2.1 tires are nice and hard, your cantilever brakes are working and that your stem (attached to narrow flat bars) is at least 130 mm long and then give 'er...."

http://www.nsmb.com/trail_tales/cougarangie2_02_05.php

"Back then, Ross Kirkwood's trails, The Stupid Grouse, Seventh Secret, Griffin, and the Tunnel of Love were about the only "extreme" mountain bike trails on the North Shore mountains. They were hard trails then and all of our skills were needed to stay on the trail and on our bikes!"

Also found a little info that looks like he live in Squamish now and is involved with the Sea to Sky Trail Society.

The Mountain Bike Life
    Nice, thanks for the pics guys. I loved those bikes...wanted a ORT so bad, that and a Yo Eddy....lol. I would love to get a collection of great old bikes.....I have yet to see a toad up here....but always lookin.

User "whoa" over in Germany apparently has one...

artistic...
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigH
    yeah but no trail to ride huh? berlin is FLAT and the air? think polish and east german industries..

Holy Chromoly!!
    Quote Originally Posted by colker1
    yeah but no trail to ride huh? berlin is FLAT and the air?
    Uhuh.. and thats's why the Singlespeed Worlds '04 are held there, because of the total lack of singletrails...

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    The only reason I own 1 1/8 Nothread King headsets are a pair of white Brodie Sovereigns. One I bought locally and one I got on an ebay auction. Both came with king headsets (first one blue, second red), and both were the identical modelyear sovereign (and several years apart purchasing). The only time I've conciously bought a king headset was a evolution sized nothreadset I snagged for $11 on ebay. My 1" Nothreadset came on a slingshot frame I bought on ebay. If its on a frameset/bike I buy, i'll pull it off for my eventual use but I'm never paying $90 for one.

clueless
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigH
    and that's the bike

and about single trails, fresh air, beer, racing, partytime in berlin read this

ciao
    flo

Thanks for posting that. I looked around the net for a Toad photo without any luck.

clueless
    ... link to the '94 mba test.

one sweet toad in hamburg germany

yes these beauties are very rare..

ciao
    flo

Lawyer Time! No Comment.

Have at it!

Oh ah, noo ne noo, do a do do do....
    Last edited by flyingsuperpetis; 05-21-2004 at 07:53 AM. Reason: premature postulation

VRC Illuminati
    Okay, I debated going after this myself, but I'm committed (or should be) to a Goat Deluxe. So here's a BRAND NEW 14 year old OFF ROAD TOAD currently sitting at $105. Make no mistake, I've got a boner over her too, and if it looks like it's gonna go for a penny less than 250, I'm gonna bag her myself, but I do know there are a few of you with a hankering for some canadian brass, and I really don't need ANOTHER frame begging for a $$$ build around here. Unless its a Goat Deluxe.

I'm on to you, Goat, it is only a matter of time.

ah here it is:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEWA:IT

I'm NOT the seller, though I did ask if she'd take it down early, and the answer was a solid negato. We'll see...

Sh!t...I was hoping no one would find that little auction.
    The only other bike I've wanted to throw a leg over more than this is the grellow Yo you bid on!
    I'm in the same boat...no more new projects.
    -eric-

artistic...
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy
    Sh!t...I was hoping no one would find that little auction.
    The only other bike I've wanted to throw a leg over more than this is the grellow Yo you bid on!
    I'm in the same boat...no more new projects.
    not my size... thank God!

Lawyer Time! No Comment.
    Yeah, that Yo has got me in a quandry, but along with the toad, there is another modestly priced gem up at the moment. Couple days left... a hint, it's blue, with white decals...

VRC Illuminati
    Yeah, that Yo has got me in a quandry, but along with the toad, there is another modestly priced gem up at the moment. Couple days left... a hint, it's blue, with white decals...
    Very clean...and close to where I live.
    I promise not to bid!
    -eric-

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast