mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Titanium finish question.

I'm thinking about cleaning up the finish on the Ibis but I've run into an issue. I don't know what it is. Perhaps a brushed blast or different medium? I think I see some faint brush marks but it could be 19 years of use.

I have brushed a ti bike and have another which has a glass bead blasted finish. I don't know what finish the ibis would be.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Titanium finish question.-20150108_225204.jpg  

Last edited by eshew; 2 Weeks Ago at 01:34 AM.

mtbr member
    What is it that you look to "clean up"? The pic seems to be a bad selfie of 3different Ti frames. No matter what the original finish was on the Ibis, replicating it without knowing what material/technique they used at the factory will be hard, and unless you do the entire frame, matching what's there in small places will be hard. Any change to the current finish will show to some degree. That said, if you are going to redo the entire frame, any technique will look good if done across the entire frame consistently. Sorry I don't know what Ibis used at the factory, maybe someone else does? Good luck.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The pic is a mess for sure. It was the easiest way to show all three finishes.

I'm looking to clean up some light cable rub marks and a few scratches. The frame is in excellent shape and with a bit of work could look just like new.

Just spoke with Scot from ibis & he confirmed my suspicion. The frame was bead blasted and then hand brushed. Makes for a unique finish, I think a few other manufacturers still offer the same finish.

Now I need to find a bead blaster who's got some Ti frame experience... Already have the maroon, grey and white scotch brite pads ready to go for the hand brushing. Although I think I'll be skipping the maroon ones as they are pretty abrasive. Great for a first pass on a rough frame but most likely overkill on a fresh bead blast.

The Crazy Cat Lady of VRC
    I always thought one of the pluses to a Ti frame was you never needed to worry about the finish.

Steve

He be a moose too.
    Titanium oxidizes only slowly and very thinly, it doesn't "rust" per se. So a bare tube is no problem (bare aluminum is not problem either in a structural sense although it can get a little cloudy from oxidation, which a quick application of polish will fix every couple of years).

Regardless of the finish, you can still get mars from cable or heel rub, rocks etc. When you bead blast it, you give the tube a certain finish, a rock scraping by will change that finish. So Eshew is concerned about the aesthetics not the structural soundness.

This is an example from Carl Strong's webpage. It has a bead blasted finish with the shiny areas etched. Both are bare Ti but both capable of being marred.

Titanium finish question.-brandon-r4.jpg

Titanium finish question.-brandon-r8.jpg
    Looking for: Really nice set of black M730 cranks

IllumaDucati
    I wouldn't beadblast this, because that would just make more work for you by removing the brushed finish and replacing it with a rough surface finish. I would feather out any scratches with 240-grit emery cloth and then go over the whole frame with coarse Scotch-Brite.
    Klein Attitude Race, 17.5 pounds
    Ruegamer Titus Racer X, 21 pounds
    Scott Scale 899, 18 pounds

artistic...
    I would ride it.
    want: Ibis ti handlebar. suntour 31.8 front derr. bottom pull

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Oh it will be ridden. I just have a vision of that bike with a perfect finish, tarnish free ibis headbadge and hand job, and some fresh decals... It's quite motivating.

artistic...
    Odd to see an ibis w/ the 3 cables running on the top tube.
    want: Ibis ti handlebar. suntour 31.8 front derr. bottom pull

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by colker1 View Post
    Odd to see an ibis w/ the 3 cables running on the top tube.
    Yeah it is. It was a head scratcher but I've seen another claiming to be a 1996 with the same cable routing. So they're out there just not as common as the earlier ones.