mtbr member
    Jul 2014

Ti-Mega build help!

Here's a little info about myself. I've been riding mountain bikes for a few years now, mainly a trek mamba. Over the summer, I bought a extremely nice all original example of a early 90's Marin Titanium FRS.
    I've been hooked on "retro" bikes since. I have no experience with maintenance or building, but I want to learn. Just recently, I had the opportunity to buy a mint, flawless Alpinestars ti-mega frame that's my size exactly, so I did. Now, to the point. I need help trying to figure out the exact parts need for this build. I have a nice M900 groupset I'm planning on using, but I need help figuring out the correct seat post size, stem size, fork and handle bar size. I wanted to make it all original, but doing so I feel would be impossible "if anyone has any original parts for the ti-mega, please let me know!". I'm a total NOOB and any help would be great!

mtbr member
    Best bet is visit your local bike shop and have them measure what size post/headset/fork/stem you will need. The diameter for the headtube is 1.25" so that size headset stem and fork diameter you will need. Not sure on length of steerer tube though. Rock Shox Mag 21s graced alot of those bikes. Most Alpinestars used their own house brand parts but don't let that stop you from using different brands.
    Now With Avatar!