Ride da mOOn Moderator

Cool-blue Rhythm Thee Thread of Worst "inventions" from yesteryear!!!!!!!!!!!

Here's one:

The Isolator hub suspension without shame...

Isolator Front hub? Any ideas | Retrobike

mtbr member
    Last edited by DenVen1; 11-24-2015 at 06:37 PM.

VRC Illuminati
    That hub was my first thought.
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

rismtb
    Dec 2012
    For me it's bio pace, u brakes, and rubber bumper suspension designs. But that's just me

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Electronic shifting.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Team Brooklyn
    Here's a link to prior fodder. For the record, I liked then and still like a some of these "worst" fads and products.

Worst mountain bike fad or product
    Wanted: more of the same ... but different

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I remember Odyssey having some weird shit, from bars that angled forward, to some type of steering dampener, to a stem with a ramped wheel that amplified the pull for the front brakes. I had one of those stems, and I remember it having a horrible feel. The first 2 I never tried, but they didn't make any sense to me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddysnack View Post
    a stem with a ramped wheel that amplified the pull for the front brakes. I had one of those stems, and I remember it having a horrible feel.
    You don't understand how a cam works?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleCentury View Post
    You don't understand how a cam works?

Oh...I know how cams work. It just felt like shit.

mtbr member
    It was a little on-off, but it was basically a high-leverage cam mounted in-line.

No known cure
    Farmer John Tires.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

Retro on Steroids
    Nothing will equal the Alenax "mountain bike" in turkey products. Instead of the rider's weight balancing on the bottom bracket, the weight is one crank length forward of that. The effect is that the front end cannot be lifted off the ground, a maneuver that many mountain bikers find handy.

Of course, the pedal hanging low in front invites a pole-vault over a log if you hang it up.

Thee Thread of Worst "inventions" from yesteryear!!!!!!!!!!!-transbar.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleCentury View Post
    It was a little on-off, but it was basically a high-leverage cam mounted in-line.
    And you think it was a good idea? Perhaps not even close to worst idea...let's call it a less than ideal execution. I always wondered about the bars and dampener mind you.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddysnack View Post
    And you think it was a good idea? Perhaps not even close to worst idea...let's call it a less than ideal execution. I always wondered about the bars and dampener mind you.
    Depending on where you set the cam, the VAPOR stem worked pretty well. Like a rollercam, you could have the pads set a good distance from the rim for mud clearance and then come in quickly and have high-leverage when the pads made contact. I think one of the keys to setting them up was to use double braided cable which is very flexible and able to conform nicely to the tight diameter of the cam roller. In this way, the spring tension of the brake arms was sufficient to take the slack out of the cable at rest, giving a much more positive feel as you first grabbed the brake.

I have no experience with the other products, although the handlebar always struck me as odd and not ergonomic.

rismtb
    Dec 2012
    WTF! I can't even wrap my head around how the chain drives the rear wheel. that is friggin weird

Phobia of petting zoos.
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by rismtb View Post
    WTF! I can't even wrap my head around how the chain drives the rear wheel. that is friggin weird
    It kind of pulled forward and then freewheeled back as the other chain pulled forward.

If you've ever towed a kiddie trailer you'd know the surging feeling until you got up to speed. Well, Alenax bikes kind of felt like that all the time. The Alenax was a useful system for proving that the rotational crank system really was the simplest and most elegant answer for driving the rear wheel. Other than that, it is nothing more than a curio. I encourage everyone who has the opportunity to ride an Alenax to do so.

I want an Alenax, with a biopace rear drive, roller cam brakes, Girvan Flexstem and one of those funky elastomer suspension hubs.

Grumps

Alenex!

Embarrassingly designed by an epically clueless enginerd, right here in Rochester.

I still feel pangs of shame, but have a roadie version hanging in the collection just the same....

There was one for sale here locally (mtb version) I wanted it bad, but the guy was firm on price, which was nosebleed. Did the offer, wait, re-offer, wait thing, the listing stayed for like two months, price un-lowered, then it slipped back into the cobwebs of his basement I' sure.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

IH, HYHT.
    Quote Originally Posted by Repack Rider View Post
    Nothing will equal the Alenax "mountain bike" in turkey products. Instead of the rider's weight balancing on the bottom bracket, the weight is one crank length forward of that. The effect is that the front end cannot be lifted off the ground, a maneuver that many mountain bikers find handy.

Of course, the pedal hanging low in front invites a pole-vault over a log if you hang it up.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	transbar.jpg 
Views:	228 
Size:	172.7 KB 
ID:	1031404
    That may be the most cumbersome shifting device I've ever seen. I think that's rule #2 in problem solving "Make sure what your solving is a problem." Otherwise the risk of "creating" the problem is pretty high.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

Quote Originally Posted by Forster View Post
    That may be the most cumbersome shifting device I've ever seen.
    The thing is, that's not even a shifting device, that's simply to stop one from pedaling in circles, nothing more...

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

IH, HYHT.
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    The thing is, that's not even a shifting device, that's simply to stop one from pedaling in circles, nothing more...
    What are the notches on the arms above the crank pivots? Does it not have some method of changing effective gear ratios.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

What are the notches on the arms above the crank pivots? Does it not have some method of changing effective gear ratios.
    It has derailleurs like a "normal" bike....

I'd have to go mess with mine to remember what the notches did, but it's not related to gear ratios.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    I thought the Oddessy steering dampener was a good idea in a time where DH speeds were outdoing the performance of the suspension technology. But I never set one up, or rode a bike with one so I don't know if it was effective.

IH, HYHT.
    It has derailleurs like a "normal" bike....

I'd have to go mess with mine to remember what the notches did, but it's not related to gear ratios.
    Ron's Alenax Blog I think those arms are used to control the "gear ratio" otherwise, why wouldn't the chain be attached to a fixed point? Couldn't find any reference to a derailleur online, and this pic doesn't show one. How would you shift with the chain going back and forth?

Retro on Steroids
    Ron's Alenax Blog I think those arms are used to control the "gear ratio" otherwise, why wouldn't the chain be attached to a fixed point? Couldn't find any reference to a derailleur online, and this pic doesn't show one. How would you shift with the chain going back and forth?
    The Alenax did not have derailleurs or a continuous chain. Each pedal operated a ratcheting chain on either side of the rear hub. A cable kept the two pedals out of phase, one went up when the other went down.

Gearing was accomplished as seen, by moving the connector point on the upper arm of the crank. Having ridden one of these turkeys, I can tell you that when you shifted and the chain slid to the next notch -- twice -- it felt like you just broke something.

I stand corrected.

just went and looked at mine, been a while. Yep, no derrs, but yes a shifter!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

IH, HYHT.
    I stand corrected.

just went and looked at mine, been a while. Yep, no derrs, but yes a shifter!
    It just a weird idea and design. The more I look at it the more I wonder if the inventor wasn't thinking "I'm going to invent a new way to shift and pedal. I don't care if it sells, if it works or even if it looks good as long as I get a patent on it. That's my life's goal." Either that or it was designed by a special panel of members of the Senate and the House who were all "experts" on cycling.

I don't recall the specifics, but they wanted the cycling motion to be like climbing stairs, as opposed to going in circles. Had a very engineery thought process, good in theory, but um, well...

in practice!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Retro on Steroids
    All it took for me to identify the problems with the Alenax was five minutes on one. If you know what a mountain bike is supposed to do, you will know right away that this bike can't do it.

You would think that with all the money they spent, they could have tried riding one.

artistic...
    Carbon rear ends/ stays on high end road bikes. Everybody was doing it.. and nobody is doing it anymore. It seems the carbon rear made any great bike ride worse. Pinarello Paris and Colnago Dream, for example.

He be a moose too.
    The guy who designed the Alenax failed when he wanted to design a new way to pedal. Not necessarily from a design perspective but that design is not new. My friend had such a mechanism on a bike from, about '90. That's the 1890's.

He had something very similar with the reciprocating pedals but it used two leather belts that rolled up kind of ratched-ee-like and then you would pull the belt out via the reciprocating pedals and drive it forward. So left belt would be pulled out and right belt was rolling up and vice-versa. I was impressed at the attempt but didn't ride it myself, being a valuable antique at all but the idea is not anything new. I'm assuming that since it's a rare design, it didn't catch on then either. Wish I had a picture but no such luck.

Here is an even older design, 1839, with a similar pedal action but different drive mechanism.

Thee Thread of Worst "inventions" from yesteryear!!!!!!!!!!!-1839macmillen.jpg
    Last edited by pinguwin; 11-28-2015 at 08:18 AM.

Phobia of petting zoos.
    Oct 2005
    All it took for me to identify the problems with the Alenax was five minutes on one. If you know what a mountain bike is supposed to do, you will know right away that this bike can't do it.

You would think that with all the money they spent, they could have tried riding one.
    LOL. Yeah, you'd reckon they must have been well into it money wise before they realised what a naff idea it was and thought "we can't ditch these in the sea, let's just sell them and try to recoup some money".

The Alenax wasn't just a MTB, they had road and touring models. Yep, a touring model. Imagine doing a week long tour on one of those contraptions with loaded panniers. Eugh...

The one I rode was a road model. It was bloody evil but I thought maybe it wasn't for me. Then I remembered that they never took off. It wasn't just me I guess.

There are some you tube clips of the Alenax system. It seems the western world wasn't ready for it, so they tried to market it in China.

I found this while hunting - the linear drive system. Kind of Alenax-y but the pedals are on a vertical rail. Funny moment is when the pro-rider says he can really see this system taking off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rj-esh5DQXQ

Grumps

IH, HYHT.
    I don't recall the specifics, but they wanted the cycling motion to be like climbing stairs, as opposed to going in circles. Had a very engineery thought process, good in theory, but um, well...

in practice!
    Probably just missed the market. Stair climbing as a sport is only about two years old in my neck of the woods. While I doubt many folks are looking for a stair-cross-trainer, I've heard of worse ideas.

IH, HYHT.
    Quote Originally Posted by pinguwin View Post
    The guy who designed the Alenax failed when he wanted to design a new way to pedal. Not necessarily from a design perspective but that design is not new. My friend had such a mechanism on a bike from, about '90. That's the 1890's.

He had something very similar with the reciprocating pedals but it used two leather belts that rolled up kind of ratched-ee-like and then you would pull the belt out via the reciprocating pedals and drive it forward. So left belt would be pulled out and right belt was rolling up and vice-versa. I was impressed at the attempt but didn't ride it myself, being a valuable antique at all but the idea not anything new. I'm assuming that since it's a rare design, it didn't catch on then either. Wish I had a picture but no such luck.

Here is an even older design, 1839, with a similar pedal action but different drive mechanism.

Name:	1839Macmillen.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	37.6 KB 
ID:	1031832
    Actually, this looks more ridable.

Phobia of petting zoos.
    Oct 2005
    Actually, this looks more ridable.
    700c rear, 650c front - it's an early time trail bike!

Grumps

Retro on Steroids
    Thee Thread of Worst "inventions" from yesteryear!!!!!!!!!!!-scan0054.jpg

Administrator Administrator

Name:	scan0054.jpg 
Views:	221 
Size:	177.4 KB 
ID:	1034981
    I remember when MBA combine this with fork and suspension stem to get something like 4" of travel and we were all like "damnnn!".

Good times.

I'd like to add any of the backyard mill made components made from brittle aluminum. Also softride suspension, also the bolt on rear and front suspension that used bungie cords for springs. Also the Bushido.
    Try this: HTFU

mtbr member
    I have no basis of fact, other than my memory of it, but there was an ad in an early publication dedicated to mtb's that was marketing some ropes that you attached to your handlebars that allowed you to control your steering while off your bike and pushing it uphill. As hard to describe properly as it is to imagine that it had any use whatsoever.
    A bike by any other name is still a bike.

Retro on Steroids
    Thee Thread of Worst "inventions" from yesteryear!!!!!!!!!!!-scan0065.jpgThee Thread of Worst "inventions" from yesteryear!!!!!!!!!!!-scan0066.jpgThee Thread of Worst "inventions" from yesteryear!!!!!!!!!!!-scan0067.jpgThee Thread of Worst "inventions" from yesteryear!!!!!!!!!!!-scan0068.jpgThee Thread of Worst "inventions" from yesteryear!!!!!!!!!!!-scan0069.jpgThee Thread of Worst "inventions" from yesteryear!!!!!!!!!!!-scan0070.jpgThee Thread of Worst "inventions" from yesteryear!!!!!!!!!!!-scan0071.jpgThee Thread of Worst "inventions" from yesteryear!!!!!!!!!!!-scan0072.jpgThee Thread of Worst "inventions" from yesteryear!!!!!!!!!!!-scan0073.jpgThee Thread of Worst "inventions" from yesteryear!!!!!!!!!!!-scan0074.jpg

rismtb
    Dec 2012
    Looks like that Bruce W browning dude spent to much time at that drafting table

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Hi, 2WD...

Philippe

IH, HYHT.
    Quote Originally Posted by oneschnark View Post
    Hi, 2WD...

Philippe
    Would still love to see this work on a fattie. Perhaps off the crank arm only and just one low granny gear for those "ah-crap" moments.

Ohne Jangschalltung
    Like to pull the Front Brakes on the 2wd thing when roling on the Back wheel... Nice Sound then.

He be a moose too.
    Was the Browning idea a bad one or just one that didn't make it? Never tried one but read in the past that it actually worked ok and the article there, see page 8, says that it works.

Seems like it was a real product addressing a real problem and in the mid-80's, front shifting under load really didn't work well. Certainly the Browning isn't on par with the reciprocating pedals. My problem is look at the crank they choose to mount it on (Blek).

Quote Originally Posted by Bigwheel View Post
    I have no basis of fact, other than my memory of it, but there was an ad in an early publication dedicated to mtb's that was marketing some ropes that you attached to your handlebars that allowed you to control your steering while off your bike and pushing it uphill. As hard to describe properly as it is to imagine that it had any use whatsoever.
    I remember these. I think it had to do with the fact that most bike trails back then were in fact hiking trails and not designed for bikes, I remember the ad with the T-shirted dude on a bike pushing up an steep hill from the back. Actually a good idea for the time I bet.

I also recall either Univega or Supergo putting out a torsion spring high pivot suspension concept that also needed a secondary spring and damper. Talk about bad ideas. Torsion is horrible on cars much less on a bike.

Phobia of petting zoos.
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by pinguwin View Post
    Was the Browning idea a bad one or just one that didn't make it?
    The Browning was used in BMX, though not extensively or we would have seen a lot more of them. The better solution (not there was a problem) was the Suntour Holeshot, a 2 speed rear derailleur that allowed the rider to start in a lower gear to get the jump out of the gate and then drop the chain down to a higher ratio, using a 2 speed freewheel once up to speed.

If there was really a problem to solve then either system would have taken off but BMX is still raced with one gear.

Grumps

MTBR member
    Jan 2007
    Remember these?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Thee Thread of Worst "inventions" from yesteryear!!!!!!!!!!!-rotor.jpg  

IH, HYHT.
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Grumpy View Post
    The Browning was used in BMX, though not extensively or we would have seen a lot more of them. The better solution (not there was a problem) was the Suntour Holeshot, a 2 speed rear derailleur that allowed the rider to start in a lower gear to get the jump out of the gate and then drop the chain down to a higher ratio, using a 2 speed freewheel once up to speed.

If there was really a problem to solve then either system would have taken off but BMX is still raced with one gear.

Grumps
    Seems like the biggest innovation in BMX has been riding style more than gears or gizmos. Riders are way smoother than when I raced in the 70's.

Retro on Steroids
    Thee Thread of Worst "inventions" from yesteryear!!!!!!!!!!!-scan0036.jpg

Thee Thread of Worst "inventions" from yesteryear!!!!!!!!!!!-scan0037.jpg