Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ~~~

Tell Me About this New Cunningham/Potts, Please!

I've been waiting for more info or discussions about this build, but I haven't seen anything other than a few pics posted by Steve Potts and Mike from Black Mountain. Can anyone tell me more about this very special bike? I would rank this up there with one of my favorite all-time custom bikes.

Tell Me About this New Cunningham/Potts, Please!-img_1172_2.jpg

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008

~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    Ha! Ok, 3 months since that thread and still nothing. Although I had no idea there are 4! Not sure I understand the whole cloak and dagger treatment.

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by tburger View Post
    Not sure I understand the whole cloak and dagger treatment.
    What do you mean? Why it wasn't publicized or offered to the general public?
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com

Wanted: Syncros 27.2 x 425 seatpost, 26.8 x 400 IRD seatpost

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    Some people are more low key about their bikes.

~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy View Post
    What do you mean? Why it wasn't publicized or offered to the general public?
    No, I meant it seemed like there were a lot of teasers in the other thread. But the overall tone seemed like no one was supposed to say anything about it.

There's a lot of special things going on with that bike. I just wanted to learn a little bit more about it, that's all. I have no problem whatsoever if the owner(s) want to be low key.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    i'm excited to share info about it, once i've ridden it. The bike is with steve still, and will need to go to Charlie for some tweaking and a new stem, steering limiter and a single chainring guide. I am beyond stoked to be a part of the project. The bars are also going to be changed, to the older model in 25.4, without the long reach and deep drop.
    "believe what you ride, not what you read" 94 WTB catalog

mtbr member
    Nice 500th post right there.
    Seek: Koski Trailmaster. Breezer Series 2, or 3. Fillet brazed Ibis Custom. Cunningham Racer. Otis Guy (but not that softride model). That's all I need I don't need anything else... except... except for an old Mountain Goat bar stem combo. And that's all I need. I don't need anything else. Except.....

mtbr member
    Those are some sweet a$s garage doors.

mtbr member
    Nice 28"er. Really nice.
    A bike by any other name is still a bike.

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by tburger View Post
    No, I meant it seemed like there were a lot of teasers in the other thread. But the overall tone seemed like no one was supposed to say anything about it.

There's a lot of special things going on with that bike. I just wanted to learn a little bit more about it, that's all. I have no problem whatsoever if the owner(s) want to be low key.
    Ah, gotcha. I think its a function of them not all being done and in the hands of their owners yet. I think Cursive's is the first to be pretty close to complete and as he said...still needs details sorted. The other problem is I think some of the owners might not be big forum guys/suck at the internet.
    -eric-

Spin it again
    Quote Originally Posted by cursivearmy View Post
    The bars are also going to be changed, to the older model in 25.4, without the long reach and deep drop.
    Hey Nate, are you talking about the old vs new RM-14s? I'm not sure there is much difference in reach and drop.

Tell Me About this New Cunningham/Potts, Please!-150_0943_zpsa4bd2624.jpg

mtbr member
    Their is a nice article about Steve and Charlie in the recent Mountain Flyer that talks about the project and it has better pictures of that first bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Hope

Quote Originally Posted by nightshade_rider View Post
    Hey Nate, are you talking about the old vs new RM-14s? I'm not sure there is much difference in reach and drop.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	150_0943_zpsa4bd2624.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	98.5 KB 
ID:	838528

The old ones that you have shown there are what I'm talking about, the 31.8 ones on the bike are different. Halaburt might have a better knowledge of what im talking about, as I shipped him these new 31.8 bars without comparing them to the 25.4 versions at my shop.
    "believe what you ride, not what you read" 94 WTB catalog

mtbr member
    OMG. this bike is insane. New Cunningham/Potts? too good to be true...... almost. Must be close to 10k I bet.

Total envy.

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by Williwoods View Post
    OMG. this bike is insane. New Cunningham/Potts? too good to be true...... almost. Must be close to 10k I bet.

Total envy.
    Haha! 'Close to', thats funny.
    -eric-

mtbr member

wish I had that kinda coin!

Fan of 'Hams
    Quote Originally Posted by cursivearmy View Post
    The old ones that you have shown there are what I'm talking about, the 31.8 ones on the bike are different. Halaburt might have a better knowledge of what im talking about, as I shipped him these new 31.8 bars without comparing them to the 25.4 versions at my shop.
    I'm not sure the overall shape is that much different (new vs. old), but the new ones are narrower (51.5 vs 55.0cm). The DIA bike as pictured in Mountain Flyer was put together pretty quickly to meet the magazine's deadline. The new bar has the right (enough) look -- and would work out-of-the-box with a Ti stem that Steve had available. The final/real build of the DIA's will have custom stems that get the real bars in the exact right position for each owner.

human dehumidifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy View Post
    Haha! 'Close to', thats funny.
    Give that money a big wet smooch when you hand it over because it's the last time you'll see it.
    I may or may not be laughing at you.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wv_bob View Post
    Give that money a big wet smooch when you hand it over because it's the last time you'll see it.
    Never been in the hunt but aren't old Cunninghams selling for over 10K?
    Seek: Koski Trailmaster. Breezer Series 2, or 3. Fillet brazed Ibis Custom. Cunningham Racer. Otis Guy (but not that softride model). That's all I need I don't need anything else... except... except for an old Mountain Goat bar stem combo. And that's all I need. I don't need anything else. Except.....

one chain loop
    so how much is this bike that we can't afford? i don't think it's a big secret, or is it?
    everything sucks but my vacuum cleaner.

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    It's not a production model where the price is set. It's a personal discussion between the builder and the buyer and it's weird to ask how much somebody paid for it.

However, I have bought things from Charlie and Steve and, while expensive, they spend a lot of time on it. Charlie keeps an accurate timesheet on his time and charges for time spent and I found it more than fair. I would think the bikes cost more than 10k and comparing it to modern bikes that also cost that much, I would much rather spend it with those two men and make their lives more comfortable and marvel at the craftsmanship of their work every time I pass my hand across the top tube.

I love the Ham and Potts that I have and I don't regret a dime that I've spent on their stuff.

artistic...
    It's not a production model where the price is set. It's a personal discussion between the builder and the buyer and it's weird to ask how much somebody paid for it.

However, I have bought things from Charlie and Steve and, while expensive, they spend a lot of time on it. Charlie keeps an accurate timesheet on his time and charges for time spent and I found it more than fair. I would think the bikes cost more than 10k and comparing it to modern bikes that also cost that much, I would much rather spend it with those two men and make their lives more comfortable and marvel at the craftsmanship of their work every time I pass my hand across the top tube.

I love the Ham and Potts that I have and I don't regret a dime that I've spent on their stuff.
    I would rather spend on them too .. but for other reasons; their bike is just better for my riding and won't be outdated when suspension parts get old, carbon looks old or a new standard makes finding a susp fork impossible.
    They could be repulsive, mean which they are not and yet that bike is still a nice buy.
    want: Ibis ti handlebar. suntour 31.8 front derr. bottom pull

mtbr member
    it's weird to ask how much somebody paid
    Well put.

Looking at the new rags, it appears there are plenty of bikes selling out there for over 15K

Hit The Road Cyclery
    Quote Originally Posted by tductape View Post
    Never been in the hunt but aren't old Cunninghams selling for over 10K?
    I know of one that sold recently for the equivalent of $10k+, which seems to be the going rate now unless you get really lucky and the seller isn't in the VRC loop. Frankly, at that price I'd rather get one of the new ones that's custom built to fit me perfectly than buy an old one built for someone else, but that isn't an option so I'll go on hoping that someday a 'ham my size will fall out of the sky and land in my lap.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast