mtbr member
    Jan 2008

tech questions/advice on ancient mtb hubs

hi.

Anybody know what the OLD is on ca 1988 shimano deore 6speed rear hubs is? I'm assuming this is uniglide? If this bike fits me when i try it on wednesday, i'm gonna buy it, and it's got deore 6speed (mt60 series, i reckon.) Should i be hording uniglide freehub bodies and cassettes? Or, will i be building new wheels for it when the original stuff fails? I'm hoping to keep it as original as possible. The pics i've gotten, it looks like everything's original except the saddle, pedals, and rubber.

thanks
    -rob

Humanoid Lobster
    Most likely it's 130mm, but could be 132.5mm or 135mm. They OLD width of the hub isn't that much of a concern - it's all (on Shimano) the same hub body with different length axles and a spacer or two.

You might have some trouble finding replacement cassettes. Sit and watch ebay long enough though, and anything will float by. Worst case, you build/buy a thread on rear wheel and add a new IRD freewheel (or similar.) It might take a little bit of effort, but it's all possible. If you like the bike, go for it. Focus on the frame, parts are just parts.
    Don't call it a gooseneck.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    the bike is mostly just goofy, sort of a fun project for me to goof around with. if the frame fits, like at all, i'm snagging it.

I agree that parts are just parts, but that's what my other bikes are for. the '88 mountainbike will present mental challenges. I've already thought, for instance, about swapping the UG freehub body out for a 7speed HG, and trying to create some properly-spaced 6 speed cassettes out of spares. The spacing is important to me only b/c the orig shifter is 6speed SIS. I like friction shifting just fine, but i don't want to change much on this bike that isn't a consumable. The bike's not collectible or special, but that's just the challenge i'm looking for.

But, yeah, if the races in these hubs prove to be trashed, i'll be getting a new hub. And, at 130mm spacing with 6 speed shifting, it's bound to be a freewheel hub with sunrace or shimano freewheels. I'll just have to talk myself out of getting a shiny/pretty/expensive hub...

-rob