mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Taking Ideas - What color for my Ibis SS Repaint?

I am taking ideas on the color for my repaint on my Ibis SS. It is originally purple with white splatters but unfortunately due to the worst seat post sticking I have ever seen and the previous owner breaking it off down super low, it needed to be melted out and ruined the paint. There were a few dents in it as well so I filled those.

I am keeping costs low and simply going with a single color, nothing overly fancy. I have a set of NOS stickers that will be applied under clear and have a painter lined up.

I am leaning towards a simple gloss black.

What are some other thoughts on colors? Pictures would be awesome for some thoughts. What are some other cool Ibis colors either than were on the SS or other older Ibis models? Always love the styling cues that you all come up with.

Build is going to be a complete m900 build with the exception of m732 shifters using pod removed m900 levers.

Thanks in advance!!!

Cycologist
    Flat army/olive green
    There are two types of people in this world:
    1) Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

Hardtail Steel Forever
    I always like the light orange with white decals that a few models came in in the mid to late 90's.

Briefly searching, something like this:

Taking Ideas - What color for my Ibis SS Repaint?-743303d1354928600-steel-mojo-colors-post-your-steel-mojo-pics-here-mojo1.jpg
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...

artistic...
    Quote Originally Posted by jestep View Post
    I always like the light orange with white decals that a few models came in in the mid to late 90's.

Briefly searching, something like this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	743303d1354928600-steel-mojo-colors-post-your-steel-mojo-pics-here-mojo1.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	109.5 KB 
ID:	1145921
    Thatīs my bike! Thanks!!
    Molteni orange..
    Back to your bike.. black is good. Otoh if really love this bike, bring a bit more moeny in and go w/ one those fades Ibis was doing on the SS era. Mostly 2 color fades. Itīs a vintage vibe, eccentric and will bring up the value should you want to sell it.
    WTB: Bomber Z2 1 1/8 steerer, in good to excellent shape OR bomber rebuild kit.

Cycologist
    Well, when I got mine powder coated, I did go for orange (not an Ibis).

Taking Ideas - What color for my Ibis SS Repaint?-dakota.jpg
    Last edited by chazpat; 07-10-2017 at 09:11 PM.
    There are two types of people in this world:
    1) Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

TrinityRiverKerplunk
    I'll vote for black after seeing one hanging upside down at Velo Cult on Saturday again. Mine is that purple w/white blotched splashy paint as well, it's ok enough for me but any of the older colors look better imho.
    Good friction shifting is getting hard to find nowadays....

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Me being me, I would paint it whatever it was originally. including splatter! it won't cost that much more!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I second the splatter paint job. Mike from Black Mountain Cycles recently splatter painted a Salsa frame. Looks good. Salsa Ala Carte SM609 - Black Mountain Cycles

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Adams View Post
    Me being me, I would paint it whatever it was originally. including splatter! it won't cost that much more!
    Looking for a P7, k14 or f12 1inch

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Thanks for the thoughts. I think I still want simple.... I tend to prefer things more understated in bikes. For bling I still have a Martini Racing Reparto Corse Bianchi in Celeste and a classic orange Bontrager Race... so thus far I am still leaning towards black.

Unicrown, I know which one you are talking about at Velo. Sky the owner there was the one that actually gave the name of the painter I am going to use. He had done a really nice simple Ritchey there and a couple other things.

There are a couple blue ones that I have seen on photo searches that are interesting to me, as is a similar to the original purple but non-splatter (I know I know, just not my thing). I need to pull the stickers out again that I bought for it way back when and see what they were to also help decide.....

artistic...
    On thing to consider: not all "blacks" are created equal. There is a lot of technique behind those simple colors that seem to glow. You paint it black but with a red , purple, blueish shade which means several coatings.. If you are going to repaint, donīt settle for the cheapest job in town.
    WTB: Bomber Z2 1 1/8 steerer, in good to excellent shape OR bomber rebuild kit.