Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Swobo... finally

2K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  MendonCycleSmith 
#1 ·
www.swobo.com is finally open.
Better late than never.
Prices don't seem that out of line for highend wool; they do sell a $$$ jersey made out of nothing more than polyester.

#16 ·
Vlad said:
Looks like you got your money's worth...
Yup! :thumbsup:

proto2000 said:
14 years later and it still itches when worn. Try the newfangled wicking materials available today that transfer the sweat to the outside of the garment to keep you cool.
It isn't the least bit itchy and is quite the opposite. In addition, Merino wool wicks away moisture and breathes to regulate temperature. And it resists odor, something the newfangled materials don't do. I have a mix of Craft (synthetic) & Icebreaker and Ibex (wool) base layers and I prefer wool. Glad to see Swobo is still making sporty wool jerseys. :thumbsup:

#21 ·
http://www.bicycleretailer.com/news/newsDetail/3804.html

Here is the article below pasted from the above link

Santa Cruz Buys Swobo, Parr Departs

SANTA CRUZ, CA (BRAIN)-Santa Cruz Bicycles has purchased Swobo outright, buying out Tim Parr's minority interest in the company.

Parr said the two sides were working on "tweaking his role" where he would have stayed on board, but at the end of the day Parr decided the role just didn't fit his aspirations and goals.

"I made a personal decision [to leave] on top of [the business decision that was made by Santa Cruz Bicycles]," Parr said. Parr added that he had a "good working relationship" with Santa Cruz Bicycles owner Rob Roskopp.

Santa Cruz Bicycles originally bought the company in 2001 from Parr. Swobo's original founder Parr stepped back into the picture in 2004 as a minority owner. Swobo was founded in 1991 by Parr.

Swobo, originally built on its popular bike apparel, really came into its own when Sky Yaeger came on board as managing director in 2006, launching the company's first bike line. The Northern California company's single speeds and fixies became an instant hit with the urban crowd.

"Given the economic climate we were doing pretty well," Parr said. "We were positioned well for the future."

As far as Parr's future is concerned, he said he's in no rush to make a decision on his next move-and where it will lead him.

"I like the bike industry," Parr said. "But what I really like are bikes" and getting more people on them.

Last September Swobo consolidated operations and opened up a new sales office in Santa Cruz, California, near its warehouse. In conjunction with the new office opening, the Sausalito, California office closed.

-Jason Norman

#22 ·
proto2000 said:
14 years later and it still itches when worn. Try the newfangled wicking materials available today that transfer the sweat to the outside of the garment to keep you cool.
Old post, I know, but I just noticed it.

Take a good long ride in that wicking material, then (once it's dried out) bury your nose in the armpit. Better yet, use it for a year or so, complete with washing, and tell me how it smells.

My guess? NASTY:yikes:

Now do a interweb simusniff on Mr Pants item there, I'll be it smells like laundry detergent, even after several rides, yucky to consider of course, but totally doable. I'll do a multi day backpacking trip, and wear the same base layer of wool, the entire time, even sleeping. No funk, ever. Even my Patagonia Capilene (supposedly all destunk through "science") will smell after a the first day.

Wool is like steel. Many folks figure it's old, it can't be as good as "the new stuff". We here at the VRC of course, know steel is fantastic. Give wool a try, you won't be disappointed.

Sheep got it right the first time. :cool:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.