mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Swingarm bushes for 2001 San Andreas

Hi, I'm new to this forum, so if I've posted in the wrong place please move it!!

I've just bought a 10yr edition of the Mounatin Cycle San Andreas (2001) and have noticed that there is some play in the swingarm which to me would indicate worn bushes (it's the non-sealed bearing swingarm version).

Anybody know where I can get some bushes as Mountain Cycle don't want to reply to my emails.

Thanks, Ed.

75% Mountain cycle

I have them...

I can get them in PEEK for the San Andreas for $35 for two from a local Atlanta vendor. I don't know how much Mountain Cycle charges, maybe they are cheaper as they can buy in bulk. I can get them in MDS filled Nylon for $20 for the pair but they absorb some water and won't last near as long as the PEEK. PEEK is probably about the best material you can get for plastic bushings for the money.

I can also get "Delrin" for $20 for the pair but you'd have to machine some of the flange off one side as they are 3/16" thick at the flange instead of 1/16" like your pivots need to be.

Here's a pic of a 2001 Andreas pivot I have that was neglected by the original owner. With the old non-sealed bearing pivots on the San Andreas, you have to hit them with the grease gun to keep grease around the pivot. One side of the pin has a grease port way inside the pivot. Hit it with a grease gun once a month, and your pivot will last years. Also, see the grease grooves in the pin? This allows the grease to flow into the bushing.

Let me know, TB
    Attached Images Attached Images

Not a regular
    Jan 2004
    A lot of bikes from back then used Igus bushings. They are cheap and should be easy to source. If you have the existing bushings, you can easily extrapolate what you need by taking measurements from them to order new ones. http://www.igus.com/show_iglide.asp

You might also find a DU bushing to fit the frame. DU bushings are the same as used in rear shocks and are generally some kind of steel with a sintered bronze/teflon surface. http://www.garlockbearings.com/products.asp

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Wow, it's been a while since I asked this, been doing other bike projects since then (Proflex 855, 753, Dave Yates etc!). I am still keen to change the pivot/bushes as has been described above.

Before I order any parts, can anybody give me a step by step guide to doing the job. Is it as simple as undoing the bolts either end of the pivot and drifting the pivot through? I have no idea what they look like inside (apart from the photo above)?

Thanks, Ed.

75% Mountain cycle

Bushings

Yes, lossen the swingarm pivot bolts a few turns past loose and gently tap the pivot out with a wooden dowel. It may not move very easy at first and you may want to hit the grease fitting inside the pivot pin with a little grease first. Once it moves initially, it should come out pretty smooth.

Getting the old bushings out is tricky too. Use a bigger wooden dowel to tap those out, they can be very stubborn. I stripped the paint off one of my frames and wanted to get the bushings out so they wouldn't get damaged by the stripper. I made a tool like a headset removal tool but smaller to allow me to tap out the bushings evenly. I made it out of an old handlebar if I remember right.

I have the exact bushing measurements if you need them for the 2001.

Good luck. I'd love to find a 2000 or 2001 Andreas frame cheap to build up - enjoy it!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Cheers again fella! Will have a go tonight perhaps! I'm used to Proflex bushes/pivots but this is new to me, so fingers crossed! Will be in touch again re ordering some parts depending on what's worn. Thanks.