mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Suzue Hub Bearings - Am I Doing This Right?

I am replacing the rear hub bearings on a Suzue. I don't know the model, but was told that it was the stock hub on an '82 or '83 Diamondback Ridge Runner.
    The old bearings were a sealed cartridge unit (one per side) bearing number 6200.
    I ordered some Phil Wood replacement bearings and pressed them in.
    Here's where I'm confused. Bearings are in, and fully seated, shouldered axle is in place.
    I can move the axle side to side (as in from non-drive to drive side of hub) about 3mm. Seems like a lot of "play" to me. But there are spacers which thread onto the axle, almost like a cup-and-cone design), that when tightened up against the bearings remove the play.
    I guess I'm just a bit nervous about placing a side load against the inner bearing race to remove the play. But then again, I've never messed around with cartridge bearings before.
    Can anyone familiar with this design provide any guidance?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Spent another 45 minutes on "adjusting" the hub this afternoon. I can use the 2 lock-nuts per side to tighten up the axle, but I have to get the bearings overly tight to eliminate all play.
    Then, when I went to install it in the frame, seems to have got much tighter (just by bolting it in). Wheel only spins a half dozen or so times before slowing to a halt.
    I'm starting to wish for a cup-and-cone hub.