mtbr member

Suspension for '98 Marin

My wife enjoys biking! This is awesome! She told me that she is interested in a few upgrades on her current bike, but not interested in a new bike. Ok cool, I've got a project on my hands =).

She has a 1998 Marin Muirwoods. Here's a link to the bike she rides.

1998 Marin Muir Woods - BikePedia

It lists the front fork as a RST 281. Front what I've found, this is a 50mm to 63 mm suspension fork. This fork is a pogo stick for sure. I want to upgrade it for her. I think we would be OK going for an 80 mm fork upgrade??

I would also like to put a set of carbon bars on the bike...never used carbon bars even on my bikes, but I think she would enjoy the comfort.

The seat will be upgraded soon as well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Suspension for '98 Marin-tuesday-biking.jpg  

Last edited by gonathan85; 09-04-2013 at 11:55 AM.

mtbr member
    Ok -- no replies yet, but that's fine.

Does anyone have recommendations for a replacement fork?

1 1/8" threadless steerer
    80mm travel
    budget-minded yet more functional than the RST 281

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Marzocchi Atom Bomb, maybe a late 90s SID if you want light. Judy forks feel decent (depending on elastomer condition) but cartridges are known to blow. Manitou has had some decent forks over the years which would probably be cheap. This forum is more into the pre-suspension bikes.

I wouldn't spend the money on the carbon bars personally. I'd guess some ergon style grips would be a better investment if her hands are bugging her.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fillet-brazed View Post
    Marzocchi Atom Bomb, maybe a late 90s SID if you want light. Judy forks feel decent (depending on elastomer condition) but cartridges are known to blow. Manitou has had some decent forks over the years which would probably be cheap. This forum is more into the pre-suspension bikes.

I wouldn't spend the money on the carbon bars personally. I'd guess some ergon style grips would be a better investment if her hands are bugging her.
    Hi and thank you for the recommendations. I have noticed that the 80s rigid bikes get the nostalgia nerve going here, and much more than the 90s suspension bikes. I figured that the personalities & attitudes in this forum would be more likely to respond to my question than the other areas of the forum that are populated by the NOW-focused youth. So, thanks =).

I'll look into the ergon grips. Thank you!

It's SO easy for me to be interested in ME. I decided to change that by making sure my wife had what she needed to enjoy riding just like I do.