25-yr old Retrogrouch
    Oct 2007

Suntour XCD brake install problem

OK, I started to put together the bike this evening and ran into a problem w/ the cantilever brakes (Suntour XCD). The two left brakes (looking from behind in the back and from the front in the front) have an extra part on each that has a short cylinder w/ a six-sided nut-like head on top and a hole that looks like it fits the tensioning spring. From the side I guess it looks sort of like a mushroom cloud, if that makes any sense.

Also, each left brake has a removable sleeve that fits over the braze-on stud. The right brakes do not have this. The right brakes have two holes for the tension spring while the lefts only have one.

What's going on?

FYI, I don't have a way to upload pics right now but if I haven't figured it out by Mon. i'll post 'em up.

VRC Hound
    That is to all you to tweak the spring tension.

Bird watcher
    Quote Originally Posted by bushpig
    That is to all you to tweak the spring tension.
    Come again. Go get the pig some joe and lets try that one more time. Its easier to help you with pics as there are about 20 different versions.

Neo-Retro Forever
    Oct 2004
    One side gets set up with a fixed spring tension (the side that is without mushroom cloud) and the other side gets the mushroom cloud piece that is positioned at the inside of the brake mount in order to set the spring tension even with the first side, then you tighten the mounting bolt to hold the adjustment.

VRC Hound
    I thought that was obvious from my in depth explanation

25-yr old Retrogrouch
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by richieb
    One side gets set up with a fixed spring tension (the side that is without mushroom cloud) and the other side gets the mushroom cloud piece that is positioned at the inside of the brake mount in order to set the spring tension even with the first side, then you tighten the mounting bolt to hold the adjustment.
    This is correct, I believe. My problem is that I don't see how the tension adjuster fits onto the brake as neither spring end is long enough to pass through both the tension adjuster and the braze-on mount.

I know, I know, pics are helpful but I don't have them yet...

Neo-Retro Forever
    Oct 2004
    On the adjustable side, the spring does not need to reach the braze on. The "mushroom cloud" shaped piece acts as the holes in the braze on.

25-yr old Retrogrouch
    Oct 2007
    On the adjustable side, the spring does not need to reach the braze on. The "mushroom cloud" shaped piece acts as the holes in the braze on.

Yep, my roommate and I figured that out after much frustration.

Thanks everybody for the accurate diagnosis!

25-yr old Retrogrouch
    Oct 2007
    This seems like a PIA to setup. What is the advantage of such a design?