mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Suggestions for smooth horizontal dropouts

It would probably be better to post this on Roadbikereview, but I've never posted over there.

I have a road bike with horizontal (forward facing, not track) dropouts. The frame is 16 years old and the pattern on the dropouts has worn smooth. Is there a good and safe way to add a pattern to the dropouts to give the QRs something to bite down on?

I switched back to old Shimano Ultegra QRs and those helped, but I can still kick the wheel sideways a little if I'm starting out in my 39 x 13 or so.

Not my bike, but basically my dropouts look like this without the paint:

When the bike was new there was a pattern and the QRs could bite into the metal. Now I really have to crank down on the QR to get the wheel to hold straight.

Thanks.

the new Gilbert Grape
    Use the adjuster screws if your bike has them. If they are missing, buy new ones.

The adjusters above are set to run the wheel as far reward as possible. By threaded the screw into the dropout the wheel is moved forward. The adjusters keep the wheel from sliding.

I've not seen a frame with any sort of machining to give the QR anything to grip. QRs are often serrated to hold the wheel in place.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    It's been a long time since I adjusted those. Duh. Now I remember: one of the adjusters is bent. But I was able to adjust the other one. Long story short, I've got it dialed in again. Thanks.