mtbr member
    Aug 2017

Struggling with letting the past go - part out GT Xizang

So many great memories on this rig. It was my dream bike in my mid-twenties back in the mid-nineties. Many many miles on it.

The plan was to part out and help fund the recently purchased Santa Cruz Bronson. However, every time I approach the Xizang with tool in hand to remove a part... I can't do it.

There's no reason to keep it... right?

Please (ruthlessly) advise.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Struggling with letting the past go - part out GT Xizang-xizang_2.jpg  

2018 Santa Cruz Bronson
    1997 GT Xizang
    1995 Specialized Stumpjumper M2

gobsmacked Moderator
    I like that bike better than your specialized.

Rubber Side Usually Down
    Your Xizang looks great and nicely spec'ed from what I can see. I have got one too and it would be hard to let go.

Can you be irresponsible and have a Xizang and Bronson?

Live big sir, hock a kidney, raid several piggy banks, pawn the TV and make sure the Bronson looks much the same so the home Financial Controller won't recognise it.

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk
    ----------------------------------------------------
    'Geez, I wish I had a witty signature'

mtbr member
    May 2010
    What the heck are you going to get for that, a couple hundred bucks? If that? Keep it as a back up bike or just an ornament to hang in your work shop.

noob bikepacker
    back u bike for sure. I still have and use my 94 Trek Mountain Track 830 as a commuter...not b/c it is worth anything but because it still works absolutely fine. Would be a waste to get rid of it and then buy another commuter-specific bike....

hell, I still use my 1988 Mongoose Californian Pro BMX bike at the park...get odd looks from the youngn's and lots of "man, wish I had kept mine" from the old guys
    "It's about having pointless fun in the woods...." - Walt
    '15 Surly Krampus
    '87 Mongoose Californian Pro

Here, diagonally!
    There is a reason you are hesitating. I wouldn't pull apart a fully functional bike for peanuts.
    Banshee Prime

Hardtail Steel Forever
    Quote Originally Posted by kpdemello View Post
    What the heck are you going to get for that, a couple hundred bucks? If that? Keep it as a back up bike or just an ornament to hang in your work shop.
    It would sell for ~$800 as it without much effort. Could probably get another $200 if parted out.
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Thanks all for the feedback. I think I can get some decent coin for it based on completed/sold ebay listings (frame only, Crossmax wheel set, full XTR). Also, good opportunity to gain some much needed garage space. I do think the Bronson is all the bike that I need.

I'm sure everyone has been here before with bikes so my situation is nothing new.

Just need to make a decision... and I honestly think there is no wrong one to make.
    2018 Santa Cruz Bronson
    1997 GT Xizang

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Random thought: is a modern mid-range hard tail "better" than a retro high -end hard tail?
    Personally, I think Specialized Chisel is probably better than my old Xizang.
    2018 Santa Cruz Bronson
    1997 GT Xizang

Hardtail Steel Forever
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Tilton View Post
    Random thought: is a modern mid-range hard tail "better" than a retro high -end hard tail?
    Personally, I think Specialized Chisel is probably better than my old Xizang.
    They're totally different IMO. The headtube angles on the 90's HT's makes them hard to compare. I still love the feel of a good quality steep headtube hardtail with a really light wheelset. There's nothing that comes close in how snappy and responsive they are.

I like having multiple bikes, so if I was in your place, I would save up for the bronson and single speed the xizang. At least you remove the overlap completely by repurposing.
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Not an SC guy, so no idea what wheels the thing comes with, but guessing they are bigger than 26.

As such, get used to hopping back on little wheels, and going, "why the hell do I still have this thing", hanging it back up, and still feeling like you're being mean by stripping it for profit.

A whole flock of 26" bikes in my shop, bear witness the the truth....
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

No known cure
    Quote Originally Posted by kpdemello View Post
    Frame looks like a desirable size and would go for around $700. Fork for $130ish. I have a couple NOS spiders for those cranks and would single speed it.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

Sneaker man
    I must admit, I've been pondering selling mine over the last while... mostly because no job = broke (and there's only so much of the GF's money I can spend on stuff), then it would free up soem cash to spend on new bits for newer bikes...

... but then I think, well I don't really need all that new crap for stuff (1x, dropper, new wheels, etc etc...) although I do need new cranks, broke some last week...and then I wouldn't have a xizang, and that would be sad. So I'm not selling (selling a spare house instead, yay, new cranks for me)
    All the gear and no idea.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    Frame looks like a desirable size and would go for around $700. Fork for $130ish. I have a couple NOS spiders for those cranks and would single speed it.
    Thanks Vader! That's closer to what I was figuring plus garage $pace!
    2018 Santa Cruz Bronson
    1997 GT Xizang

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    Not an SC guy, so no idea what wheels the thing comes with, but guessing they are bigger than 26.

As such, get used to hopping back on little wheels, and going, "why the hell do I still have this thing", hanging it back up, and still feeling like you're being mean by stripping it for profit.

A whole flock of 26" bikes in my shop, bear witness the the truth....
    Yeah - super happy with the Bronson but more so very interested in digesting the newer technology. That's not to say I don't appreciate "vintage" as I have a 49 year old car!
    2018 Santa Cruz Bronson
    1997 GT Xizang

Sneaker man
    as someone who likes to monitor xizang prices (as I did it for so long wanting to pick one up), the going rate is generally around the $700-1000, depending. It used to be 800-1200, but prices have fallen a bit in the last year or so (I guess lots of the people that wanted one have gotten one). It mostly depends on who is looking for one at the time as to how much hey go for. Also full bikes only got for slightly more than bare frame, no matter what's on it (usually sids and m95x xtr).
    But if you do go to sell, give it a polish and put some good decals on it (OG year if you can), they seem to sell better than frames without.
    All the gear and no idea.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Thanks mik_git for the info! I'm leaning more towards letting it go and parting it out. It's been a great bike but time to move on. I will most likely keep the M2 which actually has more memories back when I was car-less for two years while going to college in Seattle.

Thanks for all the feedback all! The Xizang is such a unique bike... best hard tail I ever owned.
    2018 Santa Cruz Bronson
    1997 GT Xizang

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jestep View Post
    It would sell for ~$800 as it without much effort. Could probably get another $200 if parted out.
    Holy chocolate-flavored nutballs, I would totally sell it.