Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    mtbr member

Strange Bike #12

This is a Mr. John Olsen relic so I think it should fit in here nicely. I should actually be nice to John, it is because of him I am starting this thread. Well a few of you may have already seen this on the edge thread. With no further ado I present you (drum role please) STRANGE BIKE #12.

This was shortly after getting back East and doing some touch up to the rear part of the frame.

Now the label says Made by trolls for trolls, but I really don't recall seeing any in Johns garage. Maybe he snuck them in at night.

A fresh Chris King headset ready for a life of abuse.

A crank influenced by John from the early 90's creating a single chain ring and a little extra clearance for logs and rocks or possibly a lost troll.

A new set of wheels built for bringing #12 back to life. I went with a disc style hub for what ever future the wheels may have, there is no way a disc will fit the rear. Check out the monster Sun Ringle rims!

The 1" steerer proved to be a challenge. A guy I work with helped me find this EFC Manitou on craigslist out of Texas still attached to very clean Merlin. The previous owner was kind enough to part with it. It is a spring conversion and I plan on installing my freshly rebuilt Manitou 4 legs in their place.

The CFO said I should be able to finish it the end of August. Looking forward to getting it back on the trail even if it's not the lakes of Anacortes.

I will get another update when it is finally all together.
    Last edited by snydercj7; 07-25-2012 at 09:48 AM.
    I use to be lean & mean... Now I'm just an a$$hole!

mtbr member

Nice work, Josh!

But didn't you forget the seat? How are you going to tour on that thing?

Here are some of the similarly troubled bikes I still have.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Strange Bike #12-sb13_2.jpg  

Strange Bike #12-sb9.jpg  

Strange Bike #12-sb13stays.jpg  

Strange Bike #12-sb12.jpg  

mtbr member
    I learned early on I did not need a seat to get full leg extension. I think the 20" was the first time I saw a strange bike and a strange guy on the trail.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Not being familiar with these, and having full respect for creative thought, can you explain the draw of intentionally riding with no seat?

I don't see "trials bike" DNA, so I'm flummoxed.

Or am I missing some cult like bit of history where some guys around a campfire dropped acid in '72 and dreamed about seatless bikes, then finally got off their duffs and did something about it?
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

artistic...
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    Not being familiar with these, and having full respect for creative thought, can you explain the draw of intentionally riding with no seat?

I don't see "trials bike" DNA, so I'm flummoxed.

Or am I missing some cult like bit of history where some guys around a campfire dropped acid in '72 and dreamed about seatless bikes, then finally got off their duffs and did something about it?

it's there.. but invisible to the "man".

mtbr member
    Short chain stays, steep head tube, and no seat always seemed to work very well in the pacific northwest climbing rock sections, going over rather large downed logs, there is no seat in the way for those big drops when leaning all your weight over the back tire, and the rear derailer keeps the rider from pushing it on the more flat sections like a scooter. John's style was not so much the traditional hoping around trials but a sort of rolling technical I guess.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I still have my Side Trak version of the strange bike, It is awesome and I am getting too old to ride it anymore..

Relax. I'm a pro.
    Feb 2004
    Love it.
    Instagram: @antoine1000
    http://tfwo.tumblr.com

mtbr member

Why no seat

I came into mountain biking from a motorcycle trails background. I always looked for the most technical riding, just because that was the challenge I was used to and trained for. When I rode, I found that I usually had the saddle all the way down, so that (like Josh wrote) when I was riding down a scary steep rock face, or coming off a 36" log, I could get WAYYYYYY back with my dangly bits rubbing on the rear tire. I used gears so that you could survive the boring trail bits between the "sections". I used 26" wheels for tire availability. These bikes would have made no sense at all in most of the country, but Washington State is blessed (?) with LOTS of hairy technical riding. I mean, when a 3000' dirt bump is called a "hill", you know you are in for trouble. Why carry a saddle around when you always have it down?

Plus, if anybody stole my Strange Bike, I could just walk down to the first corner, kick the guy a few times as he lay on the ground, and take my bike back. Not only did they have no seat, they also had right side front brake levers, the ULTIMATE in theft prevention.

Back when I was young and in shape, I used to ride my strange bikes on multi-hour rides, primarily in Anacortes and Bellingham. It was a GREAT workout. I'll confess, I always had a normal bike with a seat and 2 deraillers for "normal" rides.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by StrangeBike13 View Post
    Back when I was young and in shape, I used to ride my strange bikes on multi-hour rides, primarily in Anacortes and Bellingham. It was a GREAT workout. I'll confess, I always had a normal bike with a seat and 2 deraillers for "normal" rides.
    I have a DJ/street bike (12" seat tube) that i will occasionally take for a trail ride just to play. It does have a seat but it's pretty much slammed, so while I can occasionally just sit on it and coast, most of the ride is standing up. I had it out about a week ago for about an hour and it absolutely wiped me out (it was really hot and humid that day too). I couldn't imagine doing a multi-hour ride on a bike without a seat. Feels great on the really steep stuff though.
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

mtbr member
    Sven, have you posted pictures of your Sidetrack version? I think I remember them on the Edge thread, but I'm too lazy to look. How about some pics?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trailville View Post
    I have a DJ/street bike (12" seat tube) that i will occasionally take for a trail ride just to play. It does have a seat but it's pretty much slammed, so while I can occasionally just sit on it and coast, most of the ride is standing up. I had it out about a week ago for about an hour and it absolutely wiped me out (it was really hot and humid that day too). I couldn't imagine doing a multi-hour ride on a bike without a seat. Feels great on the really steep stuff though.
    Standing during an entire ride is a real work out for sure. I have always dropped my seat as far as it would go but it can still be in the way. But as you said it is nice to have it there and sit for a coast and give the legs a rest. I fear scrotal tire burn will be an issue the first time I forget I have no seat.

Sven, have you posted pictures of your Sidetrack version? I think I remember them on the Edge thread, but I'm too lazy to look. How about some pics?
    John, click on Sven's user gallery and you will see it. Is that one of your's John? Looks very similar to #12.

mtbr member
    No, Sven's bike is a Sidetrack. I built a Strange Bike for Shoji Onazawa of Sidetrack (K? No K? Don't remember) and he liked it so much that he had 10 or so of them built with my permission by a local Seattle real bike builder, whose name escapes me right now. They were very similar to #12, but didn't have those sexy custom bends to the tubes.

mtbr member
    I think at some point in my privileged youth I rode with you guys. A dog came for some where and followed us cant remember where we were. Once we are settled and our stuff is out of storage I will have to get the old riding photo album out. Yes, I did say photo album. I will scan some a few photos from "back in the day".

Found one that I had already scanned. Believe this was one I think Shoji had taken from that ride. WOW! After really looking at the photo I realize this must be from 91' because my 90 series looked brand new and it was on a rigid fork.
    Last edited by snydercj7; 07-25-2012 at 11:44 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Ya the picts are on the Edge thread. Bushnell (sp) I think buit the bikes for Shoji.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The head angle on post #2 looks frighteningly steep, even with what must be a 4.5" or so travel fork.
    undefined Absolutely must have: Black Machine Tech Zeroflex brake levers (the ones with the rotating leverage adjuster)

mtbr member
    Yes, Dennis Bushnell. I think he is still building. The head angle on SB13 was 75 degrees, again focused on climbing extremely steep hills. With practice, I could ride it anywhere, but I did crash now and then, usually landing on Josh. Lucky I was small.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    This rocks.

mtbr member
    Josh, was that picture in the river taken at Walker? You know, the stream that comes down from the Twilight Zone?

mtbr member
    The location completely escapes me, but I remember going for pizza with you guys in old town Mt. Vernon afterwards. Go figure..

mtbr member
    For those that are into all things Olsen #12 is so close to being "there". Carefully peddled around the basement for a trial run! Mr. Craig was so kind to lend me a stem and bars to get this moving forward till my adapter quill/ stem/ bars are available. Once all is in place I will shorten the front brake line to length.

mtbr member
    Wonderful! Soon you will be in a horrible world of pain, and have road rash on your forehead. Welcome to the club (the Spinal Defects Due to Face Plants club).

mtbr member
    It was nice to at least be on the bike peddling for a minute. Looking forward to see what the bike will do on a couple of the sections that are more focused on down hill on Dryer. Just seem to enjoy punishing myself. Also I have not ridden the old Manitou for years and will enjoy how it will allow me to get the bike over some of the bumps as the Bomber on my Voodoo just soaks every thing up when I am trying pop the rear tire over logs and trolls. I will put some effort into staying over the rear tire and not go over the front!

mtbr member
    Apparently this is a good time per the creator of #12. I have to say the floral print is growing on me quickly. It looks sssssuper fantaaaaastic! Considering he worked this out from across the country made it even more funny.

The last time I remember John having a good time at my expense I ended up rolling in nettles after an attempt to pass him on a climb. This is much more pleasant, I think he is getting soft in his advanced years.

mtbr member
    Is Mendon Cycle Smith the coolest dealer in the Universe, or what? He was able to sense that Josh needed a saddle for Full Leg Extension, and take it upon himself to correct Josh's obvious problem, even going so far as to suggest a styling direction that will clearly take the former Devildog in a whole new direction in his life. Josh, you could even secure the saddle to the bike by tying it on with your extra brake hose.

I HAD hoped that he would find one with tassells...

gobsmacked Moderator
    Interesting cabling on that flower seated bike.

Yes, Mendon is the coolest cat in the house. I'm his number one fan.

I HAD hoped that he would find one with tassells...
    I figured the tassles would get stuck in the spokes, but thought that the subtle pearlescent nature of the fine grade Naugahyde would work in our favor.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    I know it would not be the same, but I could run streamers off the grips to keep them from catching in the spokes. Do I go for the cool black leather ones, rainbow, or pink? Surely the votes will be leaning toward rainbow or pink.

mtbr member
    Rainbow, for sure.

mtbr member
    Coolest thread on here for a donkey's age. And while it's nice to see the addition of floral (if vestigial) saddles, why did these bikes hang onto front suspension?

Only reason I ask, is that I've just been oggling Danny MacAskill videos with my son, and it looks like front plumbing would mess up your balance, and - er - 'stoppyness'.

mtbr member
    We weren't doing anything like Danny M's antics- we weren't good enough! If I ever did a stoppie, it was the first phase of a multi-phase activity resulting in a face plant. I like suspension on the front because these bikes were built, really, for a specific trail in Anacortes, WA, with extremely steep but short climbs and descents. The front suspension was a life saver rolling down the big descents with rock steps and roots. If only we had known about floral saddles back in the day, who knows how far we could have gone...

mtbr member
    Also keep in mind the fork that is on there is the old "new" elastomer bumpers and when it is tightened up the fork is rather stiff, end result soaks up the big bumps but near as plush as what people are riding today. I would never compare myself to street trials god Mr. MacAskill. I wonder if it is something with the name skill? As John said we do not ride the hopping trials, it was a rolling technical taking what some might consider stupid lines (could be a good thing or a bad thing depending on who your talking with) for the challenge that required balance good body language and an attitude "if John can do it I'm going to try".

Last night did a test ride around the house to get the feel of the short wheel base and steep head tube, then a blip through the woods behind the house. The front brake hose is only tucked out of the way for the moment, kind of hesitant to cut the line. At any rate it is nice to finally put this thing back on the trail and look forward to taking a full ride on Monday.

I would just like to note and John had pointed it out to me, but look how well his design is. I mean the bike did not even need me to get up on the downed tree. Maybe #12 could take my to Danny MacAskill level's! NOT!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Perhaps a wicker basket trimmed with flowers might help reach that level.....

Sent from my Raleigh Edge.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." -Mark Twain

mtbr member
    NIce touch Bob. So a floral print seat, pink wicker basket also trimmed in flowers, rainbow streamers, and just for the extra show I could top it all off with a pink Barbie helmet. Craig the Great Mendon Cycle Smith came through on the seat, maybe he has the above list hidden in the back waiting for the right bike. The visual of me looking like the happiest guy on the trail = Olsen rolling out of his chair laughing injuring himself. Mission accomplished! The fun begins when I pull the pics out of storage of Olsen in florescent lycra suits, will have to see if there is a thread for 90's mtn bike pics.

mtbr member
    Sniff. I always wore VERY DIGNIFIED clothing, as befitted the oldest guy in the crowd. It wasn't easy riding with a bow tie. YOu try it some time!

mtbr member
    Well now I feel bad. Ok, maybe you did not wear florescents.

mtbr member
    So this morning was the morning I have been dreaming of for over 20yrs. The day I went for a ride on an infamous Strange Bike that has miraculously ended up in my hands.

Started off in the skills area of Dryer park to get a feel for the geometry, need lots of practice with my balance to be able to ride atop down trees again. On to the ride... Just 25' into the trail and the chain popped off the front chain ring. I did a quick spin then flew over the bars landing on the ground in front of the bike after a non intentional ninja roll, I was left laying there looking back at the bike wondering just what had happened. Maybe to many links in the chain, seems a bit floppy. After getting past the drivetrain issues I continued my climb to the upper field and around the Ziggy trail. Rode down Jakes trail and loved easing my way off the drops and winding through the tight tree sections. After making it to bottom of the trail I wanted to try climbing West World. Amazing how well the bike does, after many stops due to the lack of fitness I finally made it back to the top to Ziggy. I continued to work my way around the hill in a counter clockwise rotation going up and down making it up the Ladder, the Escalator, the SSW, then Moonvalley. The down hill sections were fun, but it felt good to be able to climb every thing today. Also had to stop a few times and play around on the more technical tree and root sections along the way. I was on the trail for 2.5 hrs only riding 4.76 miles in 1 hr the rest of the time was spent catching my breath from the climbs and a long visit with some curious mtn bikers as to why my bike was missing the seat. "It save's weight, which I need due to being so out of shape"!

So I thought this would be an inexpensive build because I was going to rob the parts from my Schwin Paramount 90 series from my high school days. Started out the steerer tube is 1 1/8" but really short, not a 1". Then the wheels, thought maybe I should get some thing a little more stout to hold up and reduce the chance of a pinch flat due to being bigger then when I was in high school. The brakes stuck out and were going to get hit by my shoes. Wanted a normal shifter in place of the grip shift. Stem was not going to work because of the 1" steerer, wanted different bars.

So I finally found the a crown to use and reuse my freshly rebuilt Manitou 4 legs off my Schwin. Went with a new Chris King head set and hubs. Built up the wheels with some fat Sun Ringle rims. Decided on Magura H33 hydraulic rim brakes. Reused the bottom bracket/ cranks/ peddles/ rear derailer/ cogs. Was not as cheap a build as I was planning, but after today's ride I am more then happy with how it came out.

John I have to say thank you again.
    Last edited by snydercj7; 09-10-2012 at 01:13 PM.

Glad you had fun! Bring it on a night ride sometime, you can compete with lightless, seatless Jason for legend status....

I'm imagining folks driving behind you, fairly used to seeing bikes onthe backs of vehicles, and going WTF is that???

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    reminds me of trials bikes

mtbr member
    Craig, I remembered 9:30 Saturday night I was suppose to call you earlier for Sunday's ride. Being preoccupied with the patio project I completely forgot. Should be done next weekend in time for me to make the next Sunday night ride with my vintage "brown" light. Not sure about attempting to keep up on the group ride on the Strange Bike though. Riding with a seat will help me be less pathetic in the rear with the gear.

mtbr member
    Josh has inspired me to get SB13 out and repaint it. It is rideable- I just went over it last winter. But it needs to be pretty now, THANKS TO JOSH. *$&&%*%&$

mtbr member

mtbr member
    And that is EXACTLY how I feel. Bro-power, Adam.

mtbr member
    LOL!

Where did I leave those oh so pretty and ghEEEEEEEEy streamers?

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Funny thing, I bent my 24" rear wheel. All I had was a 26 and a 20 and the 26 doesn't fit....so...Strange Bike #12-uploadfromtaptalk1348280939258.jpg

For you John.....and Scott ...and Josh
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." -Mark Twain

mtbr member
    Whoa.. I never saw one, but that makes me think of a buffalo. Bob you might be able to trim another 6" off those chain stays. Think of the potential wheelie power!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    It is just a passing phase on my way to a 24/20 rolling trials bike. There is no way I would ride that in public1

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    lol

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Well Josh,
    I lied....you should have been at Dryer on Sat. @ ~3 .....
    Buffalo can run....even though only 6 of the 8 speeds were functional....
    Really no different than a "normal" bike.....

mtbr member
    I like it! That is just as weird as something I would do! How nice it is to have Strange Friends!

mtbr member
    Cycle Smith comes through again!

Bye bye aluminum, make room for the stainless because I am a fat a$$.

mtbr member
    Yeah, large strong guys can't use aluminum freehub bodies if they climb steep technical stuff, unless they use XT/XTR type cassettes with aluminum carrier spiders, which spread the load out.

Quote Originally Posted by snydercj7 View Post
    Cycle Smith comes through again!

Bye bye aluminum, make room for the stainless because I am a fat a$$.
    Nah, nothing fat about you.

Whoever looked at the cassette you wanted to use, and suggested the Kings as sold to you, obviously had their head up their a$$.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Google "Canadian Royal Wedding". Perhaps it was one of the arrangers of said wedding. As is tradition.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    Nah, nothing fat about you.

Whoever looked at the cassette you wanted to use, and suggested the Kings as sold to you, obviously had their head up their a$$.
    Ok, maybe I just looked anorexic in my early years and now I actually have meat on my bones.

This is why I need to stick with the MendonCycleSmith because Craig knows what he is talking about.

mtbr member
    All I know of South Park is the line... I'm not fat I'm big boned.

Schipperkes are cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.
    I ride so slow, your Garmin will shut off.

Schipperkes are cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.
    I ride so slow, your Garmin will shut off.

mtbr member
    Interesting. Similar design, different purpose. I'm wondering if a tractor seat with one of those donut cushions would have done the trick?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Brings back a flood of memories of challenging fun and excitement.
    Olsen you built the best bikes. I still have mine as well. I remember
    the old saying, lets go for and ride and give blood.

mtbr member
    Could it be?
    An old troll is Rian C.

I did send him an email with a link to this thread in an attempt to taunt him to be ready for an April ride.

gobsmacked Moderator
    Could it be?
    An old troll is Rian C.

I did send him an email with a link to this thread in an attempt to taunt him to be ready for an April ride.
    Ha! That's pretty funny. Take pics!

mtbr member
    Hello Old Troll! Let's go for a ride and give blood!

mtbr member
    GOB I will have to see if I can find an old group photo from 20 yrs ago so every one will be impressed as most of us have lost our girlish figures and some look like old troll's

John please sacrafice so I don't have too.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Is it true that a certain strangebike rider used to push his singlespeed 20"er like a scooter to keep up with the rest of the gang?
    That would be a picture worth a thousand words!

mtbr member
    One day Chuck, Bill (buffalo bike seatless strangebike 26/20), my Sheltie Fuzz, and I on my 20/20 trials bike rode up a very hard trail north of Sedro Woolley (yes, that is a real town name in Washington). A velvety green doubletrack left the trail near the start of the climb. At the top of the very steep climb, we were kind of late, and I suggested we take the velvety green doubletrack that appeared near the top and zoom right down. We did, and came out on the north side of the mountain, having parked on the south side. We had to ride our seatless bikes (Bill and I) around the entire mountain on a paved road, about 5 miles. Chuck and Bill teased me remorselessly. Fuzz bit me. I had to scoot the entire way, as I had about a 30" gear on the bike. So yes, I was the scoot-master, with MILES of experience!!!! How on earth did you hear about that, Abaris?

Oh, Josh. Just wait until April, Josh! (evil smile)

mtbr member
    Feb 2010

How on earth did you hear about that, Abaris?

Now, Now, to be fair to Josh, in an earlier post of thread the truth is stated...

Oh! well, I guess it was Josh after all!

But he also eluded to the fact in great detail one day recently at Victor Mt. bike park while I was catching my breath (which happens a lot) that StrangeBike13 did in fact scoot his 20" bike between "sections" to keep up (with the big boys, I think he said). Oh, And that was just after he did a face plant on StrangeBike#12.

mtbr member
    HAHA! I eat dirt for breakfast bring on the pain bring on the misery. I think I have another Olsen story so I may kick my next ride with him up a notch! I only ask that some one else offer up blood for the trail gods.
    Last edited by snydercj7; 10-23-2012 at 05:33 PM.

mtbr member
    With any luck, a little Josh Face Plant will sprout next spring. That's what Strange Bikes are for, planting faces... There are hundreds of little Olsen faces growing in the woods around here!

mtbr member
    Great, every one that passes one will be asking why all my face plants are growing on the flat sections. There was a rogue squirl that I swear was out to get me about a month ago, maybe I can fall back on that as my excuse.

mtbr member
    John, is Strange Bike 13 all prettied up yet?

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I had to scoot the entire way, as I had about a 30" gear on the bike. So yes, I was the scoot-master...
    I can see that spinning with a 30" gear without a seat would be somewhat problematic.

The last time I rode with Josh I had my C'dale Beast setup with a single speed 24" gear (because I have tired old legs) and Josh commented, as well as the squirrel, several times about how much I was spinning (i mean really, after all, it is an accepted method for getting into shape quickly)...However, I have a seat...so not problematic... (and now I have a seven speed back on the Beast thanks to Josh and his squirrelfriend).

mtbr member
    By Strange coincidence, I now have SB13 back from a friend's house, needing a little work. I also have a 92-ish Beast of the East almost ready to go, one with the #&*$& 1&1/4 steerer tube (Thanks to Jeff at MOMBAT for helping get me a headset). Will post pics when it is ready.

mtbr member
    Did #13 get paint?

mtbr member
    No, all things in due time... I kind of like its patina. I need to shorten the rear brake hose that is currently being (mis)used as a front brake hose, and maybe install new tires, but the rest of it works.

mtbr member
    Where is my current pic of The Great One riding #13 again? On the trail, no driveway photo.

Oh, and what is wrong with misusing a rear brake hose as a front? It gives more surface area to secure rainbow streamers or maybe attach a flowery basket to.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    By Strange coincidence, I now have SB13 back from a friend's house, needing a little work. I also have a 92-ish Beast of the East almost ready to go, one with the #&*$& 1&1/4 steerer tube (Thanks to Jeff at MOMBAT for helping get me a headset). Will post pics when it is ready.
    So STRANGE. I have a Beast (95 or 96ish) but I really don't have a Strange Bike just a modified Edge...and another C'dale (91ish modfied SM2000) and a not quite done modified possibly seatless Royce Union (water pipe frame from mid 80s) and now a Raleigh Record (74ish) being converted into a single speed Crossbikes (with seat).
    Yes, I'm bragging about all the junk I have...so what!!

mtbr member
    Bob+Strange= No Bike required. Besides you do technically have a Strange Bike in the stable. I would say a 20" Edge with ultra shorty chain stays qualifys, just throw that 26" back on the front for good measure. That is pure Olsen influence!

Heading to Tryon in the morning if you are back from flatland.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Still in Flatland down by the sea.

By definition Strangebike has no seat and no provisions for providing a seat (your attempt at a zip-tied seat doesn't qualify #12 as not being STRANGE).

Lastly, my Edge is back to being a 26/24 (although it admittedly was more fun at Dryer with the 20s on it.)

We'll have to plan a trip down to northern PA and hit some real trails...

mtbr member
    Bob, I went to school in Ithaca. Seems like there should be some really good riding down in that area (big slate waterfalls, for instance). I rode motorcycle trials in that area in the 70s, and it was fantastic relative to my rollly home state. Have you ridden any in that area? Upstate NY is so hilly, it seems like you wouldn't need to go that far south to find great riding...

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Bob, I went to school in Ithaca. Seems like there should be some really good riding down in that area (big slate waterfalls, for instance). I rode motorcycle trials in that area in the 70s, and it was fantastic relative to my rollly home state. Have you ridden any in that area? Upstate NY is so hilly, it seems like you wouldn't need to go that far south to find great riding...
    Your memory is correct.
    NYS has become more Mt. Bike friendly over the years.
    There are lots of trails in NYS.

However, I grew up in Northern PA (Tioga County, PA Visitors Bureau and the Grand Canyon of Pennsylvania Canyon) and went to school there (also visited Ithaca to see Hans Bethe and Freeman Dyson duke it out over laser weapons and almost went to grad school there but never rode any trails there) and have ridden several (many) trails many (several) years ago that are just more "primitive". That is, typically the logs/dead trees out are not cleared out of the way on trials in PA, at least that's the way it was several (many) years ago.

There is also a major MTB race in Asaph area (Laurel Classic Mountain Bike Challenge | Facebook)

and
    Asaph Classic Topo Map

While the race has many miles on the dirt/fire roads, there are many "primitive" trails off these roads and, I might add, HUGH boulders to play on (ya just gotta watch out for snattlerakes).

But then, this might be too much for Josh to take in being an X-Marine and all.

mtbr member
    This Strange thing can get so technical. ahhhhh haaaaa

Just to set the record straight... Once a Marine, always a Marine. Even when being a whiny little beyotch. Did I also mention I HATE snakes?

So apparently I have moved to the wrong location. There also seems to be great Jeeping in PA @ Rausch Creek 4.5 hours away. But at least I have cleaned the dust of the bikes and using them regularly after being away from the scene for way too long.

Bob, is there a weekend PA trail run in our future?

mtbr member
    Also try this:

Shindagin Hollow Mountain Bike Trail in Ithaca, New York || SINGLETRACKS.COM

The pictures look really good! Seems like there wouuld be fun Strange Biking there.

mtbr member
    Things are looking up for me! I wonder, has the resident Cycle Smith been to said area?

mtbr member
    You know, there would be the potential for great riding all through the Finger Lakes... Lots of wooded hills. I demand that you research riding areas in this area!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    You know, there would be the potential for great riding all through the Finger Lakes... Lots of wooded hills. I demand that you research riding areas in this area!
    Well heck John,
    Why don't you pony up and stop on over next spring and we'll all go Finger Lakes riding!!!

Strange bikes or reasonable facsimiles only though!!

mtbr member
    I would love to. I was back there before mountain bikes were "invented", and I would love to explore some of the riding in that part of the country! Studying kept interfering back in the day...

mtbr member
    #12 is available if that is any cause for encouragement. I would sacrafice and ride with a seat. muh haaaa muh haaaa.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I'll even take the seat off my Edge AND Beast!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by abaris View Post
    I'll even take the seat off my Edge AND Beast!!!
    Scary thought! DANGER! DANGER! DANGER! The open seat post could equate to a very very heavy gauge piercing, though might be cool in some circles if it were done in the right place. Imagine a hole in your gentlemen parts the perfect size to fit a seat post. You would be the envy of the piercing crowd.

Is that your Edge seat/ post in your pants or are you just happy to see us?

I certainly would not recommend it!

Things are looking up for me! I wonder, has the resident Cycle Smith been to said area?
    Nope, on my short list though.....

Have had several buddies go there, all say it's great!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Mendon, old bean, with all the hilly, wooded country south of Rochester, aren't there any areas like the one near Ithaca closer to Rochester? It seems like there should be, alhtough I know there can be a problem with private property (we are blessed with an abundance of public lands out here).

Mendon, old bean, with all the hilly, wooded country south of Rochester, aren't there any areas like the one near Ithaca closer to Rochester? It seems like there should be, alhtough I know there can be a problem with private property (we are blessed with an abundance of public lands out here).
    Oh sure, there's good riding closer by, but places like that are kinda like a beer you haven't tried. It remains on the list in your head till you finally get one in your hands.....

But yes, unfortunately, lots of private land, and plenty of cantankerous non sharing minded owners to boot.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    StrangeBike 13,
    what is the wheelbase of your 20" StrangeBike 9?

mtbr member
    Abaris, I don't know off hand. The bike is at a buddy's house for storage. I built it expressly for rolling, so I gave it a "long top tube" for plenty of room for climbing. The head angle is rather steep (74 degrees maybe?), and the chain stays are, as you might imagine, rather short. I'll be seeing it tomorrow (having Thanksgiving dinner with it), so maybe I'll take a tape to it. It climbed like a leach with those 20" trials compound tires.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    What were your tires?
    Were they 20" or 18" or 19"???

mtbr member
    I think they were 20" Pirelli trials tires with rubber compound like those on trials motorcycles. Not sure about the brand, though. THey may also have been Michelen.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Have you ever looked at the Maxxis Creepy Crawlers?

mtbr member
    No, are they 20 inchers? I haven't ridden the 20/20 extensively since the early 90s...

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Check em out!
    Creepy Crawler

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast