mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Steerer Tube - Bontrager Fork (IRD For Sale?)

Since I'm having a difficult time tracking down a threadless steerer tube for my Bontrager Race fork I'm considering having a threadless section welded to the tube that I already have. Has anyone had success with this technique? I saw a fork that had this done for sale on eBay and it looked pretty good. It seems like having a sizeable enough sleeve inside the weld connection point would be the key.

I do have a threadless steerer tube for my old IRD shock fork, so does anyone have a rigid IRD fork that they're looking to get rid of?

Cheers,
    John

'Calm Down'
    Why are you having a problem finding a 1" threadless steerer? Any frame builder will be able to set up with a 1" steerer with a grove cut near the base for the snap ring. If you don't what to talk to a builder, just order the steer tube yourself and machine the grove. (That's what I did.) Give either www.bikelugs.com or www.henryjames.com a try. I just called them up and ordered what I wanted. As a bonus, Kirk who owns Bikelugs.com worked for Bontrager and should know exactly what you're looking for.

jw

Quote Originally Posted by veloclassics
    Since I'm having a difficult time tracking down a threadless steerer tube for my Bontrager Race fork I'm considering having a threadless section welded to the tube that I already have. Has anyone had success with this technique? I saw a fork that had this done for sale on eBay and it looked pretty good. It seems like having a sizeable enough sleeve inside the weld connection point would be the key.
    -

"And single-speeding 29ers are mountain biking's equivalent of Scientologists..." - Captain Dondo

No Justice = No Peace

Mikkelsen Frame Express

Bernie made one for my roadie/cross bike a few years back. Worked perfectly and took him about 30 minutes to do the work while I watched. a good knurling on the inner sleeve helps retain a good fit and preserves the weld.
    "Welcome to my underground lair...."