mtbr member
    Aug 2014

Steel frame help

Ok, so I know nothing about bikes, but I have a steel frame I bought at a garage sale years ago that i want to learn more about. Steel frame help-20140814_065704.jpgSteel frame help-20140814_065725.jpgSteel frame help-20140814_065740.jpg
    I rode this bike until I went with an Orbea 29'er. My wife wanted me to get ride of this bike, but something about it's looks just wouldn't let me. The TET let me know that it was made by Tom Teesdale, but i just don't know the year or what frame it is. I can get other pictures, but these were the only ones I had on my phone. I love the look of this bike and would love to fix it up to a single speed or just back to working order. Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    I'd keep it. He just passed away. Build it up in to a memorial bike of sorts. Can't help with the info on the bike though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycle151 View Post
    Friggin' coward. Give me a red chiclet instead of debating like a man. You don't deserve your green blocks.

mtbr member
    Keep that bike!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Come on guys/gals, someone must know something about this bike, i can get other pics and measurements.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Re: Steel frame help

Quote Originally Posted by TX-JCK View Post
    Come on guys/gals, someone must know something about this bike, i can get other pics and measurements.
    TET made thousands of frames. The brake cable stop tells me it is an early one.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Definitely need full bike pictures. Upright bike, drive side facing the camera.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014

new pics

Steel frame help-2014-08-22-06.27.49.jpgSteel frame help-2014-08-22-06.28.27.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Were the full pics any help?

artistic...
    the guitar string cable arrangement, canti brake noodle and short chainstays place this bike in the early nineties
    want: Ibis ti handlebar. suntour 31.8 front derr. bottom pull

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Well, that's closer. Any idea on the model?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Re: Steel frame help

Ummmm...custom.

TET was a custom builder that also produced small run production bikes for other brands.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

artistic...
    Are you keeping the bike or gathering info to write an ad on ebay?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Interesting. Did Tom Teesdale number his frames per bike maker or ALL of the frames he made?? I have a kona with TET 570 and cables running under the BB

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by colker1 View Post
    Just so it's been said.

Nice looking bike, and I understand the little voice in your head that says keep it despite what others say, so good for you. If you're really planning on keeping it, let the thread roll, and see what info pops up, but I can pretty much guarantee, nobody is going to swoop in with all the info you want, all at once. It's a rather slow bubbling up more often than not.

If in the end, if what you're doing is simply trolling for info to make a better listing on eBay etc, pull the plug and walk away now, as this thread will end up round filed faster than you can say butthurt forum users.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Sergeant Spandex
    Quote Originally Posted by colker1 View Post

I know the feeling Colker, but I am conflicted on the issue. It is annoying how often new users post only to flog their bike and then just disappear but if providing a little information will help them find a buyer who will cherish the bike then what is the harm?

Just to be clear to the OP I am not personally holding back any information as I do not know the model or maker of your frame.

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by lewisfoto View Post
    I know the feeling Colker, but I am conflicted on the issue. It is annoying how often new users post only to flog their bike and then just disappear but if providing a little information will help them find a buyer who will cherish the bike then what is the harm?

Just to be clear to the OP I am not personally holding back any information as I do not know the model or maker of your frame.

There's a lot of history regarding this topic since the inception of this forum and this forum is unique in the vintage world in that we have our own paid classifieds section so any spam gets deleted - mtbr rules, not our own. (Please read the stickies for further clarification.) The inevitable outing of items for sale result in an outcry. Drama ensues. Bleh.

Anyhow, there are legitimate questions by people who want to learn more about their bikes so we are rather tolerant regarding these kinds of threads so we wait and see.
    Wanted: WTB rollercams and brake bridges

artistic...
    Quote Originally Posted by lewisfoto View Post

Lewis, if anyone is open about it then i would give it a thought but watching posts focused on vintage love turned into sales pitch on ebay auction is... sad.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by steveit View Post
    Interesting. Did Tom Teesdale number his frames per bike maker or ALL of the frames he made?? I have a kona with TET 570 and cables running under the BB
    Per bike maker, from what I can tell.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I really am just more interested in gathering info so i know what the bike is and what more i can learn about vintage steel frames in general. I've kept this bike for years now and not even in riding condition. I'd like to fix it up and make it a single speed.

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    I really am just more interested in gathering info so i know what the bike is and what more i can learn about vintage steel frames in general. I've kept this bike for years now and not even in riding condition. I'd like to fix it up and make it a single speed.
    Awesome. That is a classic. Enjoy it!
    Wanted: WTB rollercams and brake bridges