GMF
    Mmm... Tasty

st-m800 front shifter double click?

Question: is the XTR front shifter supposed to have two detents in the big chainring position?

I was playing with a couple older rapidfire+ front shifters i have lying around, and old LX circa '92 and an XTR model of a similar vintage. While essentially identical in internal construction, materials, etc., there was one difference that confused me. The XTR model has a double detent for the big chainring position, while the LX does not. You have to pull the finger lever twice to shift from the big ring to the middle ring. Since i bought the XTR used, i assumed this was some worn out shifter phenomena, but it is pretty obvious from looking at it that the detent is intended to be there. Is this just for front der. trim, or something like that?

All that said, these are pretty wacky little mechanisms. I pulled apart the LX shifter and put it back together within 1/2 an hour. Fiddle, but certainly not any black magic. Pretty cool, actually - just amazing they don't break more often for as many bits are in there.

-Damon
    p.s. love the forum... great stuff in here!

the new Gilbert Grape
    Quote Originally Posted by GMF
    Question: is the XTR front shifter supposed to have two detents in the big chainring position?
    None that I have ever owned were like that. I had a set of frist generation XTR shifter (m900) on a bike and they did not have a trim function.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

mtbr member

no 'trim' on mine either

m-900 version as well, don't have 'em anymore, got sent across the pond. Used 'em for about 5 yrs, problem free.
    Quote Originally Posted by laffeaux
    None that I have ever owned were like that. I had a set of frist generation XTR shifter (m900) on a bike and they did not have a trim function.
    [SIZE=1][/SIZE]

GMF
    Mmm... Tasty
    Quote Originally Posted by laffeaux
    This is a bit of a dead thread, but here is a picture of the double detent on the XTR shifters... this is mostly academic curiosity, now.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GMF
    This is a bit of a dead thread, but here is a picture of the double detent on the XTR shifters... this is mostly academic curiosity, now.
    Hmm, I'll check mine. I know the road shifters have that second click for trimming.