mtbr member

Spotted: NOS MB-zip

Hi all, I was down in Santa Barbara this weekend and found a NOS MB-zip in a shop. It had a reported ~20 or so test rides and has never seen dirt. The shop is Velo Pro on State street.

http://www.velopro.com/

All the parts were origional except the stem. The price was a little high for me but maybe someone else has bigger pockets or better bargaining skills. Asking price was $1300 but they were open to offers. The price seemed high for me but I would rather have one with some wear that I could ride without worrying about scratches. I'm not into the perfectly restored or preserved thing. I have no idea of the year. They guessed it was an '88 or '89. Aparently it had been in their basement for many years after not selling. One of the employees had an appreciation of it and polished it up and got it back on display. Nice guy to boot.

The whole thing reminded me of lusting after a MB-zip back when they were new. I felt like I was in high school.

Cheers

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Boy named SSue
    Hi all, I was down in Santa Barbara this weekend and found a NOS MB-zip in a shop. It had a reported ~20 or so test rides and has never seen dirt. The shop is Velo Pro on State street.

http://www.velopro.com/

All the parts were origional except the stem. The price was a little high for me but maybe someone else has bigger pockets or better bargaining skills. Asking price was $1300 but they were open to offers. The price seemed high for me but I would rather have one with some wear that I could ride without worrying about scratches. I'm not into the perfectly restored or preserved thing. I have no idea of the year. They guessed it was an '88 or '89. Aparently it had been in their basement for many years after not selling. One of the employees had an appreciation of it and polished it up and got it back on display. Nice guy to boot.

The whole thing reminded me of lusting after a MB-zip back when they were new. I felt like I was in high school.

Cheers
    The easiest way to tell the year is by the cranks. The 1990 model had the Specialized cranks and the 91 had Mavic.

There was an NOS 91 model at the Mill Valley Swap for $1100. Kinda high as well in my opinion.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fillet-brazed
    The easiest way to tell the year is by the cranks. The 1990 model had the Specialized cranks and the 91 had Mavic.

There was an NOS 91 model at the Mill Valley Swap for $1100. Kinda high as well in my opinion.
    I knew that '89 was too early just from the build and when I remembered seeing them in the day. I think they would take $1000 but I would rather spend $600 on one that I could ride.

I think it had the Specialized cranks. It looked to be an 18'' as well.

How was the Mill Valley swap? I usually go.

mtbr member
    I knew that '89 was too early just from the build and when I remembered seeing them in the day. I think they would take $1000 but I would rather spend $600 on one that I could ride.

you know that shop has always been the high price leader......its on state street in santa barbara.....what do you expect.......I recently bought my 1" control tech 10 degree stem there for $15 that was after much bargaining and even some back talking and eye rolling from the employee's. the stem was chipped and not show piece quality and I still got tude from the shop rats. All I ever remember is attitude from those guys so you must have found the only friendly person that works there.

Will

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

If you can ride a 55 cm '91, I've got one I'd like to get rid of. I'm the original owner and it's definitely not NOS, but it's in great, rideable shape! PM me if you're interested.

Todd Z.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Williwoods
    you know that shop has always been the high price leader......its on state street in santa barbara.....what do you expect.......I recently bought my 1" control tech 10 degree stem there for $15 that was after much bargaining and even some back talking and eye rolling from the employee's. the stem was chipped and not show piece quality and I still got tude from the shop rats. All I ever remember is attitude from those guys so you must have found the only friendly person that works there.

Will
    I agree that I must have found the only friendly one there. A couple went out of their ways to prove they weren't. I only went in there because I was helping the friend that I was visiting put slicks on her mountain bike since she only rides on the road.

The guy in the back had no interest in helping us. We asked to see what they had in a 26x1.2 to 1.5 and he got down two pairs and just sort of tossed them against the counter next to us and went back to what he was doing. When we asked what one set cost he got all pissy and said it was on the tag, it wasn't. He then said that it would be $15 to $20 each but another employee told him it was more like $25-$30. The first guy then turns to us and says $30 each. Sweet. Yeah, the shop blows. I just though the MB-zip was cool.

Oh, and all of this is after a good five minutes of arguing whether she needed to upgrade to a road bike just for a five mile commute and to use on fun triathlons.

2:1
    mtbr member
    I was working at that shop when that Zip was first pulled out of the box. It's a 91- with the Mavic cranks, hubs, all that. The original Ritchey stem is probably still knocking around in the same box as homey's scratched Control Tech stem. It's funky though... it doesn't look like they welded the seatstay bridge all the way around. As for the shop, they're all good guys there but they have good days and bad days... and it seems like bad days, when they're exceptionally busy all day, are exceptionally bad. However, anyone jonesing for this bike could hammer and chisel the managers- Gregg and Ed- and get that price knocked down to a grand I bet.