Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Ok here is the old girl all revamped!!!!!

Well it's been a long time and well here are the completed pics of my old faithful '97 GC MAX Backbone frame. I"ve built this bike up as a do it all mid travel all mountain rig with full 3 x 10 gearing.

I've initially been using the bike with an '01 Enduro shock link and a Fox RP23 Kashima shock. This works great but felt unbalanced with the Fox 36 Talas Kashima up front....I've trial fitted my MountainSpeed long travel linkage & Fox RX 7" i2i x 2" stroke shock and my God what a difference....the longer stroke shock coupled with the long travel link & needle bearings have totally redefined what I thought this bike could do. I'm telling you MAX users if you can find an MountainSpeed link & shock don't ask questions just bloody well buy it....yes it really is THAT good.

With the tall 160mm Talas 36 up front the MountainSpeed linkage & shock give an amazingly plush feel. That rear end kit with the linkage, shock & bearings makes these old frames feel as good as if not better that alot of the contemporary offerings.

I still have to press new bearings into the MRP link and get shock hardware to mount the RX. Before I do that, Im going to send the Fox RX shock in for a full service and have the chrome plating removed from the link and have it cleaned up & smoothed up....maybe anodise it with a shot peened finish or polish it.

Anyways here are the pics....no more ranting but damn these frames still turn heads and start conversations....especially when you tell people you're riding a 16yo frame....enjoy guys, any more questions about anything at all please feel free to ask!!

Again hope you all like the pics!!

Take care....Joe

Specialized FSR MAX backbone-img_2062.jpgSpecialized FSR MAX backbone-img_2078.jpgSpecialized FSR MAX backbone-img_2077.jpgSpecialized FSR MAX backbone-img_2076.jpgSpecialized FSR MAX backbone-img_2074.jpgSpecialized FSR MAX backbone-img_2072.jpgSpecialized FSR MAX backbone-img_2071.jpgSpecialized FSR MAX backbone-img_2069.jpgSpecialized FSR MAX backbone-img_2068.jpgSpecialized FSR MAX backbone-img_2067.jpgSpecialized FSR MAX backbone-img_2066.jpgSpecialized FSR MAX backbone-img_2065.jpgSpecialized FSR MAX backbone-img_2064.jpgSpecialized FSR MAX backbone-img_2063.jpgSpecialized FSR MAX backbone-img_2079.jpg

mtbr member
    Nice work Joe.

Regarding the shocks, I have a medium frame one here that I can't fit a piggy back shock into. There's just not enough room under the seat-tower. But my XL has plenty of space. Yours looks like a large.
    Fox made a few vanilla R's in 6.75/1.75" size for the 2000 Bighit FSR's which your upper link is from (before they went to the 24" wheel frame). These are a perfect fit for these frames (I have two) but I'm not aware of any common air shocks in that size.

On the old 2000 bighit I ran a 7.5/2.0" shock using the lowest link postion, the ride was good but it sat taller than ideal unloaded. A 7.25/1.75" (not a common size, but at least they exist) shock with that 2000 bighit link would be a good upgrade for many.

I went through the back end of my XL and toleranced the fit on each bushing. The back end now feels like it runs on bearings, but I think I went a bit too far on the main pivot bushings, the back end has a little wiggle in it now. I do have spare bushings, just not the time to redo it right now.

I need to get my medium (wife's other bike) off to the powder-coaters. I'm thinking satin black front end and silver rear. Anyone got a better option? My XL is red and they aren't allowed to match.
    Owner of www.shockcraft.co.nz and NZ Manitou Agent.
    www.dougal.co.nz Suspension setup & tuning.
    SPV Devolve

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Hey Dougal, ask your powdercoater about a color called "city lights" very cool color. I also seen a black to rootbeer brown fade that looked good too.
    Oldest daughter doesn't ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by joe rumble View Post
    Well it's been a long time and well here are the completed pics of my old faithful '97 GC MAX Backbone frame. I"ve built this bike up as a do it all mid travel all mountain rig with full 3 x 10 gearing.

I've initially been using the bike with an '01 Enduro shock link and a Fox RP23 Kashima shock. This works great but felt unbalanced with the Fox 36 Talas Kashima up front....I've trial fitted my MountainSpeed long travel linkage & Fox RX 7" i2i x 2" stroke shock and my God what a difference....the longer stroke shock coupled with the long travel link & needle bearings have totally redefined what I thought this bike could do. I'm telling you MAX users if you can find an MountainSpeed link & shock don't ask questions just bloody well buy it....yes it really is THAT good.

With the tall 160mm Talas 36 up front the MountainSpeed linkage & shock give an amazingly plush feel. That rear end kit with the linkage, shock & bearings makes these old frames feel as good as if not better that alot of the contemporary offerings.

I still have to press new bearings into the MRP link and get shock hardware to mount the RX. Before I do that, Im going to send the Fox RX shock in for a full service and have the chrome plating removed from the link and have it cleaned up & smoothed up....maybe anodise it with a shot peened finish or polish it.

Anyways here are the pics....no more ranting but damn these frames still turn heads and start conversations....especially when you tell people you're riding a 16yo frame....enjoy guys, any more questions about anything at all please feel free to ask!!

Again hope you all like the pics!!

Take care....Joe

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2062.jpg 
Views:	284 
Size:	78.7 KB 
ID:	776214Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2078.jpg 
Views:	303 
Size:	87.4 KB 
ID:	776227Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2077.jpg 
Views:	214 
Size:	83.4 KB 
ID:	776226Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2076.jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	54.8 KB 
ID:	776225Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2074.jpg 
Views:	282 
Size:	67.6 KB 
ID:	776224Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2072.jpg 
Views:	246 
Size:	58.9 KB 
ID:	776223Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2071.jpg 
Views:	229 
Size:	78.5 KB 
ID:	776222Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2069.jpg 
Views:	229 
Size:	72.5 KB 
ID:	776221Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2068.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	158.4 KB 
ID:	776220Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2067.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	151.6 KB 
ID:	776219Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2066.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	70.9 KB 
ID:	776218Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2065.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	71.2 KB 
ID:	776217Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2064.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	77.0 KB 
ID:	776216Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2063.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	82.5 KB 
ID:	776215Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2079.jpg 
Views:	528 
Size:	85.9 KB 
ID:	776228
    Nice. I had one of those in 98. Try that stock linkage on the low bottom bracket setting. I think you'll like the feel a lot better.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bent Wheel View Post
    Hey Dougal, ask your powdercoater about a color called "city lights" very cool color. I also seen a black to rootbeer brown fade that looked good too.
    I'm not sure if the local guys can do that, but I'll ask. Thanks for the tip. It's pretty close to the sparkle black that some of these bikes came out with.

I painted my 2000 bighit with plastikote candy-metalic black years ago, not far off. Looked awesome when clean. Kind of like the black-magic car I've got now that looks awesome clean but never is.
    SPV Devolve

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Dougal View Post
    I'm not sure if the local guys can do that, but I'll ask. Thanks for the tip. It's pretty close to the sparkle black that some of these bikes came out with.

I painted my 2000 bighit with plastikote candy-metalic black years ago, not far off. Looked awesome when clean. Kind of like the black-magic car I've got now that looks awesome clean but never is.
    I've done some rattle can paint jobs that turned out pretty well myself. That Matte black finish is pretty cool too. When my FSR was coated, these guys had about every color under the sun. They also had a "chrome" finish in different colors, pretty bada$$ lookin. Good luck with your choice in color. Post up some pix when you get er done.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Nice work Joe.

Regarding the shocks, I have a medium frame one here that I can't fit a piggy back shock into. There's just not enough room under the seat-tower. But my XL has plenty of space. Yours looks like a large.
    Fox made a few vanilla R's in 6.75/1.75" size for the 2000 Bighit FSR's which your upper link is from (before they went to the 24" wheel frame). These are a perfect fit for these frames (I have two) but I'm not aware of any common air shocks in that size.

On the old 2000 bighit I ran a 7.5/2.0" shock using the lowest link postion, the ride was good but it sat taller than ideal unloaded. A 7.25/1.75" (not a common size, but at least they exist) shock with that 2000 bighit link would be a good upgrade for many.
    Hi Dougal,

I'm aware of the various linkages & shocks that Specialized have had on their FSR's. My linkage is actually from an '01 Enduro and I'm running a 6.5 x 1.5 RP23 on it. My frame is an XL.

Unfortunately Specialized and MountainSpeed (MRP) had some pretty odd sized shocks made for them back in the day. Before this build I was actually using a 5.75 x 1.5 Fox RX (from a Cannondale Super V) with the standard shock link....very slack head angle and low bb....the bike absolutely railed. The MRP long travel link uses a custom Fox RX which is a 7 x 2. My '99 DH frame has a Reeg engineering chainstay, and yet another custom Fox RX which is a 6.5 x 1.75.

I'd love to have a 7 x 2 air shock on my FSR with the MRP linkage but the reality of it is that no one makes one.

Take care.....Joe

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Hey there,

I've already tried to use the slacker head tube/low bb positions but I was getting tyre rub on suspension compression so it was a no go. The overall height of the Fox 36 keeps the angles pretty slack in the steep HT/high BB positions so it still felt great in terms of geometry. By unbalanced I mean that it feels weird having more travel up front than out back hence it feels unbalanced in the quality & quantity of travel front to rear. The Fox 36 feels nice & plush but the rear doesn't feel the same even with the RP23's propedal completely off it ramps up more quickly & feels firmer and you know there's not as much travel behind you as you have up front.

I'm going to be using my MRP long travel linkage and Fox RX coil that came with it to give me 6" at both ends.

I went for air suspension initially to try to keep the weight down a little, but balanced suspension travel and feel is more beneficial than gaining a couple of hundred grams give or take with the coil shock. I have to say when I trial fitted MRP link & shock kit, it felt 1000% better than the Enduro link & Fox RP23....yes the feeling is that drastically different...well to my butt anyways

Take care....Joe

mtbr member
    I was considering building this, but I have decided that the project would be beyond my scope. I figured I should share it with someone who might do something good.

1998 SPECIALIZED FSR LTD. FULL SUSPENSION MOUNTAIN BIKE FRAME - LARGE

Specialized FSR MAX backbone-sam_0037.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Supermoto Fan View Post
    I was considering building this
    Email sent via Craigslist.

Why not collect the whole set.
    SPV Devolve

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Supermoto Fan View Post
    I was considering building this, but I have decided that the project would be beyond my scope. I figured I should share it with someone who might do something good.

1998 SPECIALIZED FSR LTD. FULL SUSPENSION MOUNTAIN BIKE FRAME - LARGE

Name:	SAM_0037.jpg 
Views:	8919 
Size:	78.4 KB 
ID:	783279
    Would be a good place to start. Throw a Risse Racing complete rear triangle on there and go ride.

mtbr member

I'd be happy to have it as it is a Large (and I unknowingly bought a Small), plus it's the MAX Backbone and I have the standard-issue frame. But, I figure it'd make more sense to buy a better/newer model bike than the one I have and just sell my old bike complete.

Best of luck to whoever grabs it. It looks sweet to me.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Once built up, this frame is as good as any other out there.

mtbr member

Sorry, I should have said: "I was considering buying this and building it up". It's not mine.

mtbr member
    I built these two bikes up last year and finally got around to posting. The green one is mostly stock with an old 20mm Marzocchi Z1, Avid BB7 brakes, Blackspire Chain Guide, XT front, XT Rapid Rise read and Truvativ Dual Ring Cranks. The red one has full Mountain Speed bearings and linkage, Avid Hydraulics, XT front, XT Rapid Rise rear, Saint Shifters, Blackspire Chain Guide, Raceface DH Cranks, Azonic Outlaws and a Marzocchi 66. The green bike is mostly ridded cross country by my brother and the red is used by me for downhill shuttle trips when I don't feel like I need my long travel Commencal Supreme.

Specialized FSR MAX backbone-img00076-20111029-1222.jpgSpecialized FSR MAX backbone-img00077-20111029-1223.jpgSpecialized FSR MAX backbone-img00078-20111029-1223.jpgSpecialized FSR MAX backbone-img00079-20111029-1224.jpgSpecialized FSR MAX backbone-img00080-20111029-1225.jpgSpecialized FSR MAX backbone-img00081-20111029-1225.jpgSpecialized FSR MAX backbone-img00082-20111029-1226.jpgSpecialized FSR MAX backbone-img00083-20111029-1226.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Nice looking rigs there Z. Do you know how much travel you're getting on the Red rig?

mtbr member
    I get about 6 inches travel front and rear. The bike is pretty heavy, but a lot of that has to do with the 66 and Outlaw wheels.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Same here, I'm running a Risse Racing rear triangle, shock, Hex link, seat stays, chain stays, a Fox Float 36 up front. I love the way this rig rides. I still get looks from folks riding new equipment, but the FSR keeps on ticking.
    What's the bottom bracket measure?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Anyone have a link to the original Shock and Fork air pressure settings on the SID fork and SID shock? I ran across it and cant find it now. 1997-1999 bike, I cant remember when I got it<g>

Bob

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by atchipmunk View Post
    Wow! Haven't been by this thread in quite a while, but it's nice to see so many more MaxBackbone frames being restored and ridden still. :buttrock

Dougal...that's a great find. Woulda been really helpful when I was restoring/building my FSR DH. Luckily, I lucked out and found someone that had a spare of the real deal in their toolbox...

Anyway, i'm still out riding/thrashing on my MaxBackbone framed FSR 2-3 days a week and LOVING it. It's slowly gone through a couple more upgrades...all of which were great additions. She's now running a Fox 40 fork, and the complete Risse Racing rear end. Here's a quick pick I took recently after getting home from a ride...

Skip....you were right. The Risse rear end ROCKS! It's a bit heavy, but SO worth the weight penalty....for me at least and the kinda riding I like to do...
    Mr Atchipmunk, can you help with original FSR DH specs?

I've found one frame listed for sale in my country and I know it's been hacked about and parts swapped. But I don't know how far.
    What was the original shock, link and swingarm on yours? Was it bushing or bearings in the main pivot?
    Also what year was yours? Bikepedia has nothing for the early FSR DH's and my original specialized catalogs cannot be found.
    SPV Devolve

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Just finished putting a Fox DHX Air 5.0 rear shock on my FSR. Wow, how sweet it is.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Hey Joe, I'm running the Risse Racing complete rear triangle with adjustable Hex link, seat stays. Fox 36 up front as well, Fox DHX Air 5.0, 7.5x2 out back. Very balanced feel, endless travel feeling. 67-68 degree HA, 14" bb height. I love the way this thing feels. I ride 4'-6' drops, 12'-15' gaps and doubles over & over, feels like Butta. Hope this helps.
    Check out atchipmunks pix and you'll see what the Risse equip. looks like. Keep up the good work.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by joe rumble View Post
    Hey there,

I've already tried to use the slacker head tube/low bb positions but I was getting tyre rub on suspension compression so it was a no go. The overall height of the Fox 36 keeps the angles pretty slack in the steep HT/high BB positions so it still felt great in terms of geometry. By unbalanced I mean that it feels weird having more travel up front than out back hence it feels unbalanced in the quality & quantity of travel front to rear. The Fox 36 feels nice & plush but the rear doesn't feel the same even with the RP23's propedal completely off it ramps up more quickly & feels firmer and you know there's not as much travel behind you as you have up front.

I'm going to be using my MRP long travel linkage and Fox RX coil that came with it to give me 6" at both ends.

I went for air suspension initially to try to keep the weight down a little, but balanced suspension travel and feel is more beneficial than gaining a couple of hundred grams give or take with the coil shock. I have to say when I trial fitted MRP link & shock kit, it felt 1000% better than the Enduro link & Fox RP23....yes the feeling is that drastically different...well to my butt anyways

Take care....Joe
    That is an incredible bike!! I had one back in 1998. It was, and still is one of my all time favorite full suspension bikes. In fact, to this day, I do not think any of the modern bikes can eat up square edge chop like those bikes with a coil shock on them.

I used to ride mine down the railroad tracks by my house, right down the center where it was 1" to 4" square edges of the railroad ties. And I could do this in the middle ring, sitting in the saddle! I don't think any modern air shock bikes could do that. I would be surprised if my Pivot Firebird could do that. Modern bikes are tuned for air shocks, and that bike was tuned for a coil. I still feel that the best coil setups, outperform air setups, when they are designed for a coil, and not an air shock bike with a coil strapped on.

It was my "All Mountain" bike, before we even knew WTF that meant. I rode mine from the Colorado river, UP to the top of Porcupine Rim trail, to Sand Flats, and then back down.

That bike still makes my heart flutter!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by twowheelsdown2002 View Post
    That is an incredible bike!! I had one back in 1998. It was, and still is one of my all time favorite full suspension bikes. In fact, to this day, I do not think any of the modern bikes can eat up square edge chop like those bikes with a coil shock on them.

I used to ride mine down the railroad tracks by my house, right down the center where it was 1" to 4" square edges of the railroad ties. And I could do this in the middle ring, sitting in the saddle! I don't think any modern air shock bikes could do that. I would be surprised if my Pivot Firebird could do that. Modern bikes are tuned for air shocks, and that bike was tuned for a coil. I still feel that the best coil setups, outperform air setups, when they are designed for a coil, and not an air shock bike with a coil strapped on.

It was my "All Mountain" bike, before we even knew WTF that meant. I rode mine from the Colorado river, UP to the top of Porcupine Rim trail, to Sand Flats, and then back down.

That bike still makes my heart flutter!
    Mate you are sooo right about coils....they feel infinitely better, smoother, plusher and far more responsive than air....so much so that I'm seriously contemplating getting rid of the TALAS 36 for a Van 36.

Why? Well my bike is now in it's final configuration. I have had my MRP linkage stripped of its chrome & polished up, came up a treat. The Fox RX that came with it didn't need any servicing according to my LBS so I've just taken the stickers off it & cleaned it up. Ordered some sweet offset shock bushings from ProShox in Poland and man are they an awesome thing to have. Lowered the BB height & slackened the head angle amazingly. That mod has really breathed new life into this old frame. 6.2" of ULTRA plush rear travel. While i was riding on the RP23 the front TALAS felt amazingly plush, but now compared to my MRP rear coil setup with the MRP needle bearings the front feels a tad lifeless & sticky....soaks up the hits great but not so good on the small sensitive bumps....coils all the way me thinks now....anyone have a Vanilla 36 Kashima they want to trade for a TALAS 36 Kashima?

I've taken a few pics in the current configuration & will upload them here very soon.

God this bike feels amazing now. I think with the coil front end it would just be the perfect mid travel all mountain rig....it's amazing how good a 16yo frame can still feel when you get some new technology on it. Specialized really got those MAX frames right in so many ways....they can still put alot of modern frames to shame....they just don't make them like they used to ;-) I've been browsing around and have been tempted to get a GT Force or Sanction frame, late model Specialized Enduro or maybe a used Intense Uzzi VP....but why? I've ridden my friends Force and yes it feels great, but in all honesty there really isn't a quantifiable difference between my frame in its current configuration or his new GT they have very similar geometry considering the huge age gap between them.

More pics coming in very soon....stay posted lol....

Take care guys :-)

mtbr member
    Feb 2010

'97 GC FSR update pics

Ok guys, final pic updates of the '97 CG FSR build up. Had the MRP linkage stripped of its satin plating and had it cleaned & polished up....looks an absolute treat :-D Also purchased a set of the ProShox offset shock bushings which made a pretty big difference to the geometry of the frame.

Also included a couple of pics with my friends '10 GT Force 1.0 so you can kind of make out the differences in geometry from the 16yo frame to a late model all mountain bike. That GT is an awesome ride too....but I just love my FSR now with these mods....only thing I'd want to do is maybe swap out the TALAS 36 for a Vanilla 36....nothing can replicate the plushness of a coil....that was ultra apparent from riding my friends GT with 6" travel then my FSR with the MRP link & shock which also has 6".

Enjoy the pics and as always any questions or comments please feel free :-)

Take care....Joe

Specialized FSR MAX backbone-fsr-1.jpgSpecialized FSR MAX backbone-fsr-2.jpgSpecialized FSR MAX backbone-fsr-3.jpgSpecialized FSR MAX backbone-fsr-4.jpgSpecialized FSR MAX backbone-fsr-5.jpgSpecialized FSR MAX backbone-fsr-6.jpgSpecialized FSR MAX backbone-fsr-7.jpgSpecialized FSR MAX backbone-fsr-8.jpgSpecialized FSR MAX backbone-fsr-9.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Looks awesome! What are u using in the rear for the disc brake mount?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Thats my 97ér Specialized DH Backbone ; Custumized

Specialized FSR MAX backbone-img231.jpgSpecialized FSR MAX backbone-img232.jpg

Fork - Zoom XTR 120 mm

Crank - Truvativ Fc 160 mm 32 T Single

Pedals - Vpm 58

Frontbreak - Promax 160 mm

Backbreak - Power V-break with Powermodulator

Bar - 720 mm D-Lux with Truvativ Hussefeld 31,8 mm

Frameshock - Fox vanilla R 190mm

Chain - KMC

Cassette - Shimano HG 8 speed

Shifter - Shimano Trigger 8 - speed

Rear Derailleur - Shimano Alivio ???

Rims - Vuelta airline 1 with 36 spokes , Twisted

Saddle - WTB Rocket V

Headset - Stronglight semi integrated

Tires - Yellow Kirin 2.30
    Last edited by Multicreativ; 10-20-2013 at 05:17 PM.

mtbr member
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but those twist-laced wheels won't last with disc brakes.
    You need straight pull for disc brakes or drive wheels to resolve the torque at the hub to tension in the spokes.
    With the twisted spokes like that you're trying to apply torque through bending the spokes. They will flex a lot and eventually break.

Twist-laced spokes only work long term on front wheels with rim brakes. It can be done on only one side of a drive or disc braked wheel.
    SPV Devolve

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    on the disk-side i´ve pull the spokes stronger and another Crossing !

What can i use maximum for a Frameshock ,I´ve 190mm ???

mtbr member
    I'm also looking for bearing kits help, think matbe the Brits or Auzzies might have something.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BAKEDOUT View Post
    I'm also looking for bearing kits help, think matbe the Brits or Auzzies might have something.
    You can ream the bushings to a better than factory fit (i.e. not as tight) and get ball bearing smoothness out of them. I've done this to my 97 Elite.
    SPV Devolve

mtbr member
    I don't know if this is kosher or not but I have a BETD link for these old frames that I have no need for. I am willing to ship it (you pay shipping) to anybody if they want it. Has been sitting on my old purple ground control frame for years. Heck, if you want an old frame (the cheap taiwan version) it is yours as well!

just pm me if you are interested. Also, feel free to yell at me if this is not kosher and I will delete….
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

mtbr member
    Awesome thanks so much finding parts is next to impossible here in the States, thanks again.

mtbr member
    Awesome thanks for the reply, maybe after C-Mas I'll be lookin to pick up some parts, maybe you could send me some pics of what you have, thanks again. BAKEDOUT

gobsmacked Moderator
    Maybe use the PM system, Bakedout.

mtbr member
    I've read through this whole thread a little bit at a time over the past couple of days.
    And I must say there are some super nice Max's in here, and loads of great info on these bikes.
    So thanks to everyone who has contributed.

Here's my 1998 FSR Ground Control I bought new in 98', (just like a few others on here I really wanted the
    FSR elite Max Backbone but I couldn't afford it at the time) and slowly upgraded to full XTR over the
    next 4-6 ? years. Just got her back out a few months ago after a long time of not riding. I threw some
    street tires on there and have been riding the bike paths around here to get back into the swing of riding.
    Specialized FSR MAX backbone-dscf3954.jpg

I picked up a bone stock 1998 FSR elite Max, size large (finally) a few weeks ago and stripped it down to the frame (the crank
    is also off there now) to build up over this winter. Excuse the messy garage.
    Specialized FSR MAX backbone-fsr-seller-2-.jpg

Specialized FSR MAX backbone-2013-10-29-12-.jpg

Specialized FSR MAX backbone-2013-10-29-16-.jpg

Specialized FSR MAX backbone-2013-10-29-15-.jpg

Specialized FSR MAX backbone-fsr-2013-12-16-45-.jpg

Specialized FSR MAX backbone-fsr-2013-12-16-46-.jpg

I also have a frame like this one (2001 FSR Enduro),
    Specialized FSR MAX backbone-fsr-seller-3-.jpg
    I can't decide if I want to steal the seatstays off this for rear disc on the Max, or just use an XTR V brake on the rear of the Max.
    I plan to build this frame (enduro) up also with all the spare parts I have including a complete 1999 FSR Ground Control Sport.

The build list for the Max Elite build so far:
    2001 FSR ENDURO seatstay and linkage (cartridge bearings), BETD main pivot (needle bearing)
    Shock- FOX Vanilla R 6.75" i2i x 1.75" stroke (900lb x 1.83" stroke spring)
    Fork- ROCKSHOX Sektor RL 150mm dual position coil(converted to 110-150mm U-Turn coil, extra firm spring)
    Front Mech- SHIMANO SLX M665 (2 x 9)
    Crankset- SHIMANO SLX 170mm 22-36t (mountain double)
    Cassette- SRAM 11-34t 9 speed
    Rear Mech- SRAM X.7 9 speed Medium Cage
    Shifters- SRAM X.0 9-Speed Twist Shifters
    Headset- CANE CREEK forty
    Handlebars- AZONIC Flow
    Stem- AZONIC PleasureDome
    Seatclamp- HOPE
    Seatpost- TITEC Scoper or RITCHEY Comp
    Wheelset- AZONIC Outlaw
    Bakes- AVID BB7 (180mm front, 160mm rear)

I love these Ground Control and Max frames, and look forward to building it!
    Anyway, thanks for all the info in this thread, I will most likely be asking for more help as this build slowly progresses.
    Last edited by CrowMan; 07-04-2017 at 11:33 AM. Reason: Updated Build List

mtbr member
    Can anyone here that has tried both the 2001 enduro linkage and the BETD link on the Max Backbone frame
    give me an opinion on which you liked best and why? And compared to the stock one (or any other link).

I have both now and I'm trying to decide which to try first since I'm getting ready to take
    the rear triangle apart and install bearings in all of the pivots.

Probably have about 80% of the parts to start putting this bike together and I'd like to
    start at the rear triangle. Of course I'll be doing some testing of my own once it's all
    together and warm enough.

Oh, and I also have a seatstay from a 2001 fsr enduro with the disc mounts and cartridge bearings.
    Would you guys put that on right away? I really like the stock seatstays looks and build,
    but I'd also like to try disc brakes.

Thanks for any replies or opinions!

mtbr member
    Specialized FSR MAX backbone-dscf3947.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Specialized FSR MAX backbone-fsr-2013-12-16-46-.jpg  

Last edited by CrowMan; 07-04-2017 at 11:36 AM.

mtbr member
    Forks, Enduro seatstay and link mounted, I now have sealed cartridge bearings on all the pivots except
    the main pivot, it has a BETD needle bearing.
    I also found a 6.75" x 1.75" Fox Vanilla shock in good working order on ebay for it.

Specialized FSR MAX backbone-1.jpg

It's slowly comin' together!
    Last edited by CrowMan; 07-04-2017 at 11:38 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CrowMan View Post
    Can anyone here that has tried both the 2001 enduro linkage and the BETD link on the Max Backbone frame
    give me an opinion on which you liked best and why? And compared to the stock one (or any other link).

I have both now and I'm trying to decide which to try first since I'm getting ready to take
    the rear triangle apart and install bearings in all of the pivots.

Probably have about 80% of the parts to start putting this bike together and I'd like to
    start at the rear triangle. Of course I'll be doing some testing of my own once it's all
    together and warm enough.

Oh, and I also have a seatstay from a 2001 fsr enduro with the disc mounts and cartridge bearings.
    Would you guys put that on right away? I really like the stock seatstays looks and build,
    but I'd also like to try disc brakes.

Thanks for any replies or opinions!
    I just saw this now.
    I've tried the stock rear end compared to the 2000 bighit rear stays and upper link (similar to the 00/01 Enduro but slightly longer link) with a 6.5/1.5" rear shock.
    It worked out quite well, gave the BB increase the bike needed to run that bit more sag in the back.

I also have 6.5/1.75 and 6.75/1.75" shocks but the spring availability isn't as good and for this one it only needed matching to a 120mm fork to a female rider who doesn't like the bike sitting that tall unloaded.
    The medium frame doesn't have room for the 6.5/1.75" reservoir shock (vanilla RX).

I'm running Sharkfin disc mounts instead of the 2001 Enduro rear end.
    SPV Devolve

mtbr member
    I just saw this now.
    Thanks for the reply Dougal, I was starting to think either everybody stopped messing with these frames
    or was done with theirs and was out riding them.

I appreciate your thoughts on the rear suspension!
    It's really, really cold around here right now so I'm taking my time with this build.
    I don't remember seeing any pics of your Max(s) in here, if you have any would you mind posting?

Oh, and if you have one of those shocks or an extra sharkfin you might want to sell let me know, Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CrowMan View Post
    Thanks for the reply Dougal, I was starting to think either everybody stopped messing with these frames
    or was done with theirs and was out riding them.

I appreciate your thoughts on the rear suspension!
    It's really, really cold around here right now so I'm taking my time with this build.
    I don't remember seeing any pics of your Max(s) in here, if you have any would you mind posting?

Oh, and if you have one of those shocks or an extra sharkfin you might want to sell let me know, Thanks!
    One is coming back from powder-coating today. I'll get some pics if it's any good.

Sorry I won't be selling those shocks or shark-fins any-time soon. I'm actually one shark-fin short, considering trying to make one at about 10x the price.
    SPV Devolve

mtbr member
    Cool! I'd really like to see it.

That's alright on the shock, couldn't hurt to try

I'm a CNC programmer/machinist by trade for the past 18 years, if I can help with the sharkfins let me know.
    I could use one myself as I've picked up another '97 Max frame.

mtbr member
    Did I ever post my CAD model?

It was a huge amount of work, there is a general lack of straight edges to measure from and I still haven't got the cable stops in.
    SPV Devolve

mtbr member
    Did I ever post my CAD model?
    That is awesome Dougal!! (though a huge pic!) Hope you don't mind if I save a copy of it?
    Last edited by CrowMan; 07-04-2017 at 11:14 AM.

mtbr member
    Well it's all built for now, pics from the first test ride.
    Specialized FSR MAX backbone-fsr-2014-3-8-15-.jpgSpecialized FSR MAX backbone-fsr-2014-3-8-5-.jpgSpecialized FSR MAX backbone-fsr-2014-3-8-17-.jpgSpecialized FSR MAX backbone-fsr-2014-3-8-7-.jpgSpecialized FSR MAX backbone-fsr-2014-3-8-20-.jpgSpecialized FSR MAX backbone-fsr-2014-3-8-21-.jpgSpecialized FSR MAX backbone-fsr-2014-3-8-22-.jpgSpecialized FSR MAX backbone-fsr-2014-3-8-26-.jpgSpecialized FSR MAX backbone-fsr-2014-3-8-27-.jpgSpecialized FSR MAX backbone-fsr-2014-3-8-40-.jpgSpecialized FSR MAX backbone-fsr-2014-3-8-29-.jpg
    Last edited by CrowMan; 07-04-2017 at 11:44 AM.

mtbr member
    Nice shots. Is it meeting your expectations?
    SPV Devolve

FxdcBikes
    Mar 2014
    Beautiful job Crowman!
    That FSR Elite was my first dual suspension ride, bought it in the summer of 1998. I loved it. I raced it a few times but quickly got into downhill and bought a 1999 FSR Max Stars n Stripes where I had to run the Brake Therapy device.
    Then I stripped it to build a FSR S-works Team DH. I have pics.
    I love seeing these great frames rebuilt with new parts, they still look sweet..!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fxdcbikes View Post
    Then I stripped it to build a FSR S-works Team DH. I have pics.
    Great. Where are these pics?
    SPV Devolve

FxdcBikes
    Mar 2014

2000 FSR Team DH

A few pics of my old 2000 FSR Team DH
    Specialized FSR MAX backbone-2000-fsr-team-dh-s-works-6.jpgSpecialized FSR MAX backbone-2000-fsr-team-dh-s-works-22.jpgSpecialized FSR MAX backbone-2000-fsr-team-dh-s-works-21.jpgSpecialized FSR MAX backbone-2000-fsr-team-dh-s-works-20.jpgSpecialized FSR MAX backbone-2000-fsr-team-dh-s-works-19.jpgSpecialized FSR MAX backbone-2000-fsr-team-dh-s-works-18.jpgSpecialized FSR MAX backbone-2000-fsr-team-dh-s-works-17.jpgSpecialized FSR MAX backbone-2000-fsr-team-dh-s-works-16.jpgSpecialized FSR MAX backbone-2000-fsr-team-dh-s-works-15.jpgSpecialized FSR MAX backbone-2000-fsr-team-dh-s-works-14.jpgSpecialized FSR MAX backbone-2000-fsr-team-dh-s-works-13.jpgSpecialized FSR MAX backbone-2000-fsr-team-dh-s-works-12.jpgSpecialized FSR MAX backbone-2000-fsr-team-dh-s-works-11.jpgSpecialized FSR MAX backbone-2000-fsr-team-dh-s-works-10.jpgSpecialized FSR MAX backbone-2000-fsr-team-dh-s-works-9.jpgSpecialized FSR MAX backbone-2000-fsr-team-dh-s-works-8.jpgSpecialized FSR MAX backbone-2000-fsr-team-dh-s-works-7.jpgSpecialized FSR MAX backbone-2000-fsr-team-dh-s-works-23.jpg

FxdcBikes
    Mar 2014

1999 FSR DH Big Hit "Stars N Stripes"

Inspired by Palmer's World championship bike, Specialized sold this frame in 1999. I had it built with 24" rims and huge 3" Nokian tires... :0

Specialized FSR MAX backbone-1999-fsr-dh-starsnstripes-1.jpgSpecialized FSR MAX backbone-1999-fsr-dh-starsnstripes-13.jpgSpecialized FSR MAX backbone-1999-fsr-dh-starsnstripes-12.jpgSpecialized FSR MAX backbone-1999-fsr-dh-starsnstripes-11.jpgSpecialized FSR MAX backbone-1999-fsr-dh-starsnstripes-10.jpgSpecialized FSR MAX backbone-1999-fsr-dh-starsnstripes-9.jpgSpecialized FSR MAX backbone-1999-fsr-dh-starsnstripes-8.jpgSpecialized FSR MAX backbone-1999-fsr-dh-starsnstripes-7.jpgSpecialized FSR MAX backbone-1999-fsr-dh-starsnstripes-6.jpgSpecialized FSR MAX backbone-1999-fsr-dh-starsnstripes-5.jpgSpecialized FSR MAX backbone-1999-fsr-dh-starsnstripes-4.jpgSpecialized FSR MAX backbone-1999-fsr-dh-starsnstripes-3.jpgSpecialized FSR MAX backbone-1999-fsr-dh-starsnstripes-2.jpgSpecialized FSR MAX backbone-1999-fsr-dh-starsnstripes-14.jpg

mtbr member
    Picked up 1/2 a frame for $40. Then a donor frame for $100. $20 bucks for 8mmx14mm bushings to adapt the main bolt size.
    Specialized FSR MAX backbone-00v0v_6nmwlgecfsi_600x450.jpg

mtbr member

Awsome Deal!

I just literally got in the door from a road trip to San Diego from Phoenix to pick up my new '99 FSR Max Backbone frame. 900+ miles roundtrip but worth it .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Specialized FSR MAX backbone-my-max-frame-1.jpg  

Specialized FSR MAX backbone-my-max-frame-2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Update on the 4+ year FSR Build, ressurecting a 20 year old!
    Shockcraft News - Pike/Lyrik RC Tune, Bike of the Month & Competition Winner

Before photo, rescued from a scrap metal bin:

New main pivot hardware to replace the lost original. Hard anodised too:

Back end all powder coated black with new IGUS bushings throughout, all reamed to a precision fit:

Manitou McLeod rear shock, 165x38mm (original would have been Fox vanilla 160x32):

Glory shot with new Maxxis rubber:

It's taken a long time, but it's now riding perfectly. Still stuff to do, drivetrain is a 3x9 Deore that may or may not stay (this bike will stay 3x).
    Seatpost will change to an answer carbon as soon as a suitable seat is found.
    Bars are Answer Carbon.
    Brakes are Hayes Radar 203/160mm with a shark-fin adapter.
    Wheels are Specialized stout disc hubs with DT Revo spokes and Stans ZTR rims.
    Forks are 2003 Manitou Black Elite TPC with the softest coil spring. This is one of Mrs Dougal's bikes. Balances perfectly with the McLeod rear.

Other instagram shots:
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BP6KdfFg...raftsuspension
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BP6GumHg...raftsuspension
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BP6GmoLg...raftsuspension
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BP6GfivA...raftsuspension
    SPV Devolve

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by fxdcbikes View Post
    Inspired by Palmer's World championship bike, Specialized sold this frame in 1999. I had it built with 24" rims and huge 3" Nokian tires... :0

Name:	1999 FSR DH StarsNStripes 1.jpg 
Views:	466 
Size:	169.2 KB 
ID:	903991Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1999 FSR DH StarsNStripes 13.jpg 
Views:	748 
Size:	247.7 KB 
ID:	904003Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1999 FSR DH StarsNStripes 12.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	158.7 KB 
ID:	904002Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1999 FSR DH StarsNStripes 11.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	193.3 KB 
ID:	904001Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1999 FSR DH StarsNStripes 10.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	180.3 KB 
ID:	904000Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1999 FSR DH StarsNStripes 9.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	124.8 KB 
ID:	903999Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1999 FSR DH StarsNStripes 8.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	123.5 KB 
ID:	903998Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1999 FSR DH StarsNStripes 7.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	131.9 KB 
ID:	903997Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1999 FSR DH StarsNStripes 6.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	160.5 KB 
ID:	903996Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1999 FSR DH StarsNStripes 5.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	155.5 KB 
ID:	903995Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1999 FSR DH StarsNStripes 4.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	78.0 KB 
ID:	903994Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1999 FSR DH StarsNStripes 3.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	128.0 KB 
ID:	903993Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1999 FSR DH StarsNStripes 2.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	128.2 KB 
ID:	903992Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1999 FSR DH StarsNStripes 14.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	205.6 KB 
ID:	904004
    That's an awesome looking frame. Always wanted one of those before!

Update on the 4+ year FSR Build, ressurecting a 20 year old!
    Shockcraft News - Pike/Lyrik RC Tune, Bike of the Month & Competition Winner

Before photo, rescued from a scrap metal bin:

New main pivot hardware to replace the lost original. Hard anodised too:

Back end all powder coated black with new IGUS bushings throughout, all reamed to a precision fit:

Manitou McLeod rear shock, 165x38mm (original would have been Fox vanilla 160x32):

Glory shot with new Maxxis rubber:

It's taken a long time, but it's now riding perfectly. Still stuff to do, drivetrain is a 3x9 Deore that may or may not stay (this bike will stay 3x).
    Seatpost will change to an answer carbon as soon as a suitable seat is found.
    Bars are Answer Carbon.
    Brakes are Hayes Radar 203/160mm with a shark-fin adapter.
    Wheels are Specialized stout disc hubs with DT Revo spokes and Stans ZTR rims.
    Forks are 2003 Manitou Black Elite TPC with the softest coil spring. This is one of Mrs Dougal's bikes. Balances perfectly with the McLeod rear.

Other instagram shots:
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BP6KdfFg...raftsuspension
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BP6GumHg...raftsuspension
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BP6GmoLg...raftsuspension
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BP6GfivA...raftsuspension
    Good stuff Dougal. Glad to see that there are still people out there rocking the old-school MAXbackbone frame. I've recently semi-retired mine. Even with the Risse Racing rear triangle I was getting some notable lateral movement in the rear during hard turns that were less than confidence inspiring. I've temporarily used some of the parts off the bike (wheels, cranks, seat, brakes, etc) to build a dirt jump frame...an '13 Specialized P3. Will eventually get my MAX frame back together...but it definitely won't serve as my main, do-everything bike...

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Hi
    We are still rocking old-school Spec frames

Here is mine:
    Zdjęcia - Pokazywarka.pl

I built it albost 3 years but for now this bike is flying over! : )
    Setup:

- fork Z1 FR SL `03
    - shock Cane Creek AD 10
    - brakes Formula The One
    - wheels Fulcrum Redmetal 5
    - Crank XT
    - etc. etc.

mtbr member

99 FSR 9 speed

Specialized FSR MAX backbone-fullsizeoutput_2f5.jpgSpecialized FSR MAX backbone-fullsizeoutput_2fb.jpgSpecialized FSR MAX backbone-fullsizeoutput_2f7.jpgSpecialized FSR MAX backbone-fullsizeoutput_2fc.jpgSpecialized FSR MAX backbone-fullsizeoutput_2fe.jpg

My resurrection project started with a $100 Craigslist 1999 Specialized bike with a frisbee still attached at the rear wheel and nipples on the tires, as well as a lot of updating with what I thought were purposeful for North Central Florida riding. Not a Max Backbone, but close enough for government work.

1999 FSR, Fox Van. RC, Marz Z3 Light, Cane Creek Wams, Avid SL Levers / V's, RF/XT/LX drivetrain (32/ 11-34 ), Thomson stem, SDG Saddle and Post, Specialized Chunder front and (reversed) rear.

Haven't ridden (or posted here, what happened to my username?) since 2006.

Working on similar build for for a 1999 GT Avalanche Hardtail.

Trails seem more technical, but less harsh on the honey . Conquered Palm Coast, looking at making a return visit to Santos soon.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Members who have read this thread: 26