Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rodH
    btw, "achipmunk" bought my spare frame today, he is in the process of building it now (he has sent me a few emails as we speak, asking questions). Can't wait til he gets it built up and posts some pictures!!!
    A Max Backbone frame? Too cool. He will love it.
    Oldest daughter doesn't ride.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Check out this one on the AM forum. Check out this guys bike. Looks pretty dang sweet.

Let's see those AM setups

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by skip canfield
    A Max Backbone frame? Too cool. He will love it.
    Ya, Max. It should turn out really nice, he has a Risse link to put on there and it already has a needle bearing kit on the main pivot, along with his stuff he already has, should turn out really nice.

I was really debating even selling the frame, the OCD in me wanted to keep it and still build it up, just because. But the logic in me tells me I didn't need to have another bike just sitting around for no reason. I am really stocked I sold it to him, rather than some goof on ebay trying to put his Huffy parts on it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    That's nice. I'm curious to see Alvin's bike when it's done.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    btw, "achipmunk" bought my spare frame today, he is in the process of building it now (he has sent me a few emails as we speak, asking questions). Can't wait til he gets it built up and posts some pictures!!!
    Yes indeed...I have just joined the ranks of Max Backbone owners. Thanks again Rod. Now, I just need to build it.
    I pulled apart the rear end earlier today and am getting ready to strip the paint. Need to figure out what I want to do in terms of finish though. I'm either gonna polish it like I did with my FSR Comp (and maybe have it clear powder coated to protect the shine) or I'm thinking about having it powder coated a matte gunmetal/dark grey color.
    Here's an older pic of the finish on the FSR Comp:

Once the color is outta the way, it'll be time to swap parts from the Comp to the Max frame. The frame came with a Manitou rear shock, but I also have an '05 Fox DHX 5.0 Coil waiting in the wings. Can't wait to get it all together.

I do have a quick question for you max owners. When I was working on the frame earlier, I noticed that the last cable holder for the front derailleur is right under the rear link...before it turns downward to the actual front derailleur. On Rod's bike, it looks as if there's an additional guide that turns downward towards the front derailleur? Anyone know where I can get one of those?

Anyway, Rod...thanks again. Your Orange/blue bike looks great in person. Rock on.

Alvin Caragay
    Hermosa Beach, CA

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by atchipmunk
    Yes indeed...I have just joined the ranks of Max Backbone owners. Thanks again Rod. Now, I just need to build it.
    I pulled apart the rear end earlier today and am getting ready to strip the paint. Need to figure out what I want to do in terms of finish though. I'm either gonna polish it like I did with my FSR Comp (and maybe have it clear powder coated to protect the shine) or I'm thinking about having it powder coated a matte gunmetal/dark grey color.
    Here's an older pic of the finish on the FSR Comp:

Once the color is outta the way, it'll be time to swap parts from the Comp to the Max frame. The frame came with a Manitou rear shock, but I also have an '05 Fox DHX 5.0 Coil waiting in the wings. Can't wait to get it all together.

I do have a quick question for you max owners. When I was working on the frame earlier, I noticed that the last cable holder for the front derailleur is right under the rear link...before it turns downward to the actual front derailleur. On Rod's bike, it looks as if there's an additional guide that turns downward towards the front derailleur? Anyone know where I can get one of those?

Anyway, Rod...thanks again. Your Orange/blue bike looks great in person. Rock on.

Alvin Caragay
    Hermosa Beach, CA

Dang, You will have 2 sweet shocks, let me know how the FOX works!!

As far as the cable stop, I didn't even realize it didn't have one. Hmmmm? I did a quick search, I wonder if a V-Brake noodle might work like this one?: Seems like a pretty decent solution.

http://www.icyclesusa.com/catalog/av...ake-noodle.htm

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Dang, You will have 2 sweet shocks, let me know how the FOX works!!

As far as the cable stop, I didn't even realize it didn't have one. Hmmmm? I did a quick search, I wonder if a V-Brake noodle might work like this one?: Seems like a pretty decent solution.

http://www.icyclesusa.com/catalog/av...ake-noodle.htm
    The DHX was a good eBay find. It came with 3 different rate springs (550#, 600# and 650#) and I got a GREAT deal on it. I actually bought it hoping it would fit on the Comp with the Risse Hex Link. Needless to say, it wouldn't fit the Comp...at all. It's 7.5" i2i and the reservoir with the bottom-out adjustment was just too big even to reverse mount it. I already test fit it though and it fits the Max frame perfectly!

As for the cable stop. I have a v-brake noodle from the v-brakes that came off the front of my bike (and the ones that will soon come off the rear of my bike)...will give it a try tomorrow and see if that'll work...

As for the color...i'm feeling a little impatient. I think I might just strip it to bare aluminum, give the frame a good rub down for the brushed aluminum look, and build it from there using the parts off the Comp. I NEED to get this thing out on the trails ASAP!
    Maybe after it gets a bit colder and the days shorter, i'll pull it apart again to properly finish the frame (still debating if I wanna polish or powdercoat it)...

Alvin
    Last edited by atchipmunk; 11-01-2009 at 08:37 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Hey guys, come spring or early summer next year we should all get together and do some ridin. Maybe a Downieville or Northstar adventure. Get a chance to check out other Max bikes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Hey guys, come spring or early summer next year we should all get together and do some ridin. Maybe a Downieville or Northstar adventure. Get a chance to check out other Max bikes.
    Interesting idea Skip. My wife and I are having our first child this Dec/Jan (her due date is Jan 1st!) so my availability will very much depend on how the kid turns out...hopefully she'll be easy and i'll be able to spare some time for fun stuff. If so, i'd be down...

Alvin

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Cool cool, Congrats on the baby and good luck.I have 4 of those little buggers, only 1 at home now, but they are a kick. Gives you a ridin partner some day, huh? Again Congrats Alvin.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Hey, any idea if the rear triangle off a 2000 FSR Enduro would fit on a max backbone frame?
    I've got a line on a Enduro frame on Craigslist for $100 just wondering if it's worth it or not.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Cool cool, Congrats on the baby and good luck.I have 4 of those little buggers, only 1 at home now, but they are a kick. Gives you a ridin partner some day, huh? Again Congrats Alvin.
    Thanks Skip. Hopefully i'll have a riding partner some day. Hopefully I can get her to follow in daddy's footsteps and take to mountain biking. How soon is too soon to put a kid on a bike anyway?

JoJon...I too wondered the same thing before. I believe the 00-01 Enduro uses the same rear link as the earlier FSR's, but the question is if the pivot is the same. I assume you're thinking about it because the Enduro had the rear disk mount?

Alvin

mtbr member
    May 2009
    JoJon...I too wondered the same thing before. I believe the 00-01 Enduro uses the same rear link as the earlier FSR's, but the question is if the pivot is the same. I assume you're thinking about it because the Enduro had the rear disk mount?

Alvin
    The Enduro I'm looking at has a shark fin mount, I'd like to try and fab a disc mount on a rear triangle but I want to do it on a spare just in case I mess it up.

Congrats on the little one, hurry up and get your max together and let's do some riding I'm in Tustin (Orange County) not far from you.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Thanks Skip. Hopefully i'll have a riding partner some day. Hopefully I can get her to follow in daddy's footsteps and take to mountain biking. How soon is too soon to put a kid on a bike anyway?

Alvin
    Hey Alvin, I started my oldest boy at the age of 2 (now 20) my youngest daughter at 5 (now 16) and my youngest boy at 4 (now 10). My oldest girl takes after her mother and has nothing to do with bikes.
    Nothing like having your kid as a riding partner.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by JoJon
    The Enduro I'm looking at has a shark fin mount, I'd like to try and fab a disc mount on a rear triangle but I want to do it on a spare just in case I mess it up.

Congrats on the little one, hurry up and get your max together and let's do some riding I'm in Tustin (Orange County) not far from you.
    Ah...why not just use the shark fin mount? Or would you prefer the "Custom" route. If so, I completely understand. I love fabricating stuff myself...
    RodH is down in south OC as well. Getting together and riding with some fellow Max owners would definitely be cool...

Hey Alvin, I started my oldest boy at the age of 2 (now 20) my youngest daughter at 5 (now 16) and my youngest boy at 4 (now 10). My oldest girl takes after her mother and has nothing to do with bikes.
    Nothing like having your kid as a riding partner.
    Heh. Well, let's hope that she (having a daughter) takes after me and not my wife. She barely ever goes near the Electra beach cruiser I bought for her....much less a mountain bike. I figure i'll eventually get one of those trailer-like half bikes for kids that attaches to the seat post of your bike and has handlebars (and I believe pedals as well) and will take her on some real light trails (jogging paths, really). Hopefully that will pique her interest in bikes and eventually i'll get her her own MTB...

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Oh and I just wanted to add...MAN is powdercoating pretty tough! Been working on stripping the finish off of my Max frame. There was paint over what looks to be the factory powdercoat. Using the standard chemicals I usually use for paint removal, the outer layers of spray paint come right off. The underlying mango-colored (didn't even know they made these Max frames in a mango/yellowish-orange color) powdercoat is pretty damn resilient and didn't really react to the chemicals. Had to move up to a badder, heavier-duty, aircraft stripper which smells much more caustic. Anyway, got it pretty much all stripped. Hmm...maybe I'll start my own little "build" thread in the Specialized Forum as well...once I get a little further along. Stay tuned...
    Last edited by atchipmunk; 11-07-2009 at 07:12 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Help!

Help! Need to ask a favor from my fellow Max Backbone owners. Can someone take a closeup pic of the rearmost cable hanger for the front derailleur...the one that is kinda under the rear suspension linkage. It allows the cable to turn downward to the front derailleur. My recently acquired Max frame doesn't have the guide (or at least the curved piece that guides the cable downward from the frame-mounted guide) and I need to see if I can find one, or at least find something that will work. I tried the V-brake noodle from my old front brakes but it won't work. The frame-mounted part of the guide doesn't have a stop to it so there's nothing to hold the noodle in place in the frame-mounted part of the guide. I imagine that the proper guide has some sort of lip to prevent the guide from sliding out of the frame-mounted guide. That make sense? If not, I'll try to take a pic of what i'm referring to tomorrow...once my DSLR battery is charged up again...

Alvin Caragay
    Hermosa Beach, CA

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Alvin,

Here's the best I could do, the part is a machine turned part that is bent with a collar bonded on it. If you have access to a lathe one could be made easily but not everyone has access to a lathe. I searched through my box of bike parts and this is what I came up with if I had to fab the same part. First part is a long adjuster screw from an old front break leaver the other part is the V-brake noodle and the third part is (that isn't in the pic) a small piece of tubing that is the right inter diameter to slip over the screw and the noodle making it a collar or stiffener. Cut a small radius section out of the noodle, using JB weld bond the the three pieces together. Confused?? I hope this helps.

Specialized FSR MAX backbone-bike-10-25-09-008-small-.jpg

Specialized FSR MAX backbone-bike-10-25-09-013-small-.jpg

Specialized FSR MAX backbone-bike-10-25-09-014-small-.jpg

Specialized FSR MAX backbone-bike-10-25-09-015-small-.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Help! Need to ask a favor from my fellow Max Backbone owners. Can someone take a closeup pic of the rearmost cable hanger for the front derailleur...the one that is kinda under the rear suspension linkage. It allows the cable to turn downward to the front derailleur. My recently acquired Max frame doesn't have the guide (or at least the curved piece that guides the cable downward from the frame-mounted guide) and I need to see if I can find one, or at least find something that will work. I tried the V-brake noodle from my old front brakes but it won't work. The frame-mounted part of the guide doesn't have a stop to it so there's nothing to hold the noodle in place in the frame-mounted part of the guide. I imagine that the proper guide has some sort of lip to prevent the guide from sliding out of the frame-mounted guide. That make sense? If not, I'll try to take a pic of what i'm referring to tomorrow...once my DSLR battery is charged up again...

Alvin Caragay
    Hermosa Beach, CA
    Hey Alvin, I just ran a piece of housing from the stop thats up higher to the very edge of the lower stop and left it at that, works fine.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Thanks for the replies JJ and Skip.

JoJon...unfortunately, I personally don't have access to a metal lathe, but I may know some one that does. Gonna ask him if he could make me one. Looks like the original part is made out of stainless steel?

Skip...so yours just comes out of the cable housing and the cable itself makes the turn down towards the front derailleur with nothing to guide it other than the housing itself? Interesting.
    I'm leaning a little more towards seeing if I can have one made by a competent machinist. Or perhaps i'll design one and see how much it'll cost to have made on emachineshop.com. I thought about trying to cobble something together, but i'm a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to small details like this. Anyway, thanks for the input guys.

Oh, and I started a little "build" thread in the Specialized Forum for my "new" frame. Here's the link: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...82#post6295382

Alvin
    Last edited by atchipmunk; 11-09-2009 at 09:29 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Looks like the original part is made out of stainless steel?

Oh, and I started a little "build" thread in the Specialized Forum for my "new" frame. Here's the link: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...82#post6295382

Alvin

Alvin,

Yes it's stainless steel, did a quick check with a magnet.

I'll be fallowing your "build" thread.

JJ

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Alvin,

Yes it's stainless steel, did a quick check with a magnet.
    Figured as much, Thanks for the verification. Now, to get one made. If only I had bought that Smithy 3-in-1 lathe/milling machine back in my hardcore paintballing days...

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Did you want to sell the discs you took off?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    anyone know what the geometry of these frames were? Head angle, etc.....? For some reason I think it was a 70 or 71 degree HA?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    anyone know what the geometry of these frames were? Head angle, etc.....? For some reason I think it was a 70 or 71 degree HA?
    Hey rod, I have a spec sheet here and it says 70.4.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    skip, thanks!!

Any more specs/geometry? I have a Medium 1997

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Hey rod, the spec sheet I have is for the "99", but I'm sure they would be the same.
    This sheet shows frame sizes, SM, MED, LG, XL. What do ya want to know?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Hey, any idea if the rear triangle off a 2000 FSR Enduro would fit on a max backbone frame?
    I've got a line on a Enduro frame on Craigslist for $100 just wondering if it's worth it or not.

JJ, did you ever figure this out?

mtbr member

RIP my recently decommissioned FSR Elite

Just been looking up stuff & pics on this bike to reminisce.

Rapped to see so many of you with a passion for this bike!

Here are pics of my recently decommissioned 1998 FSR Elite.
    Will be polishing her and putting her on the wall of my office.

Sniff, my replacement '09 SJ FSR Comp is a better climber, but the old 1998 FSR decended with much more speed and cornering grip/agility = FUNNNNNN!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Specialized FSR MAX backbone-1998-specialized-fsr-elite-xc.jpg  

Specialized FSR MAX backbone-1998-specialized-fsr-elite-dh.jpg  

Specialized FSR MAX backbone-1998-specialized-xc-2008_1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Reason for retiring? Was she broke or just tired?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Nice bike RobG555! Yeah, why decomission it? Why not take the Elite and set it up more for decending? Then you'd have your SJ for climbing and another bike for more gravity oriented riding... Nice bike either way. I'm sure it'll make a nice adornement to the office wall.

mtbr member

Why 1998 FSR Decommissioned?

My fault intially
    Was 4WDing with her on the roof. Didn't notice the low branch across the track! Swept the bike off the racks. Broke the toe off one of the fork's dropouts. Hence the parts upgrade in the last shot. Replaced the XTR cranks too because found cracks mid-crank.
    Replaced Bars and Stem too for safety (Too many hospital bills already from MTB accidents!)
    Thought all was great again. But found the Frame (Sniff) was cracking in all the wrong places (Seat tube especially)
    Didn't want to change the way she looks by way of repairs. She'll look great reminding me of our awesome rides, by hanging on my wall
    The happy ending to all of this, is that if I replace the dud TRIAD rear shock on my 09 SJ FSR, it will descend and XC just as well as the old-girl. Yippee
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Specialized FSR MAX backbone-doongalla-robbie.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    That's a shame robg555. Sounds like she had her day though. The important part is that you're still out riding...regardless of what steed it's on.

mtbr member
    WOW - thats great to hear that so may of you still have the passion for the FSR - I have a FSR Por black w/tripple crown manitou fork mostly stock except for the pedals, stem, bars, computer I loved that bike, well still do, getting back into it after being out of touch for some 5-10 years I still have it in my garage was cleaning here last night - wow I love that bike

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by specializeddaddy
    WOW - thats great to hear that so may of you still have the passion for the FSR - I have a FSR Por black w/tripple crown manitou fork mostly stock except for the pedals, stem, bars, computer I loved that bike, well still do, getting back into it after being out of touch for some 5-10 years I still have it in my garage was cleaning here last night - wow I love that bike
    Speshdaddy...Nice, another Max Backbone owner! Post some pics of your rig, i'm sure we'd all love to see em!

Just realized I never posted a pic of my Max in this thread, so here's a pic of my "almost" completed bike:

Last edited by atchipmunk; 02-05-2010 at 11:15 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Hey Alvin, did you get that DHX modified yet? Pix? I'm changing some stuff on my rig, hope to get it out in the next couple of weeks, come on sunshine.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Hey Alvin, did you get that DHX modified yet? Pix? I'm changing some stuff on my rig, hope to get it out in the next couple of weeks, come on sunshine.
    Not finished yet Skip. I picked up some fluid and the 1/16"MNPT to 1/8" FNPT adapter as well as a 1/16" NPT tap. Just need to find the proper drill bits to drill the holes for the taps. Unfortunately, the proper sized drill bits for both sizes of NPT taps are "Letter" sizes and not too many places carry letter sized drill bits. Gotta find some time to make it over to Harbor Freight as they have a drill bit set that has letter bits...

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Hey guys just thought I'd chime in here......didn't realise there was still so many people who love these old frames as much as I do hehehe. I have 3 M.A.X. frames, a '97 GC, a '99 DH with the seriously beefy factory custom fabricated chainstay, and a '00 S-Works Team DH.....a few linkages and shock combinations to mess with.....also an as yet uninstalled Specialized disc adapter, MRP linkage and bearing kit. Here are a few pics.....enjoy!!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Specialized FSR MAX backbone-dsc00192.jpg  

Specialized FSR MAX backbone-dsc00197.jpg  

Specialized FSR MAX backbone-dsc00198.jpg  

Specialized FSR MAX backbone-dsc00199.jpg  

Specialized FSR MAX backbone-dsc00200.jpg  

Specialized FSR MAX backbone-dsc00201.jpg  

Specialized FSR MAX backbone-dsc00205.jpg  

Specialized FSR MAX backbone-dsc00206.jpg  

Specialized FSR MAX backbone-dsc00208.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Joe Rumble...WOW. Sick collection of frames and old school FSR parts! I Would LOVE to find and build an FSR Team DH frame as a dedicated DH rig. One question...WHY aren't the Team DH and DH built?! It'd KILL me to look at those frames in my collection and not be able to ride em. Anyway, thanks for sharing! Glad to see another fellow FSR enthusiast out there.

BTW...how does the length and shock mount placement on the gold Team long travel linkage compare to the other 3 linkages?

Alvin Caragay
    Hermosa Beach, CA
    Last edited by atchipmunk; 02-18-2010 at 09:01 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    One question...WHY aren't the Team DH and DH built?! It'd KILL me to look at those frames in my collection and not be able to ride em. Anyway, thanks for sharing! Glad to see another fellow FSR enthusiast out there.

well basically I've had the frames for a few years....amassed a very nice and rather exotic stockpile of parts but things have happened that made me have to shelve the builds. My music rig, cars etc....espcially my latest car have taken a high toll on my time and finances.....but I haven't forgotten my FSRs.

You know I'm almost too scared to build them up and ride them because of something does happen to them I really won't be able to replace them....but in due course they'll be built up lovingly.

It's really bought a smile to my face knowing there's people out there who still love these frames....I'm my opinion they're simply the best....I don't look at modern bikes....they've never taken my attention the way these USA made MAX handmade frames have.....thanks for the kind words and hope to chat again soon...

Take care.....

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    BTW...how does the length and shock mount placement on the gold Team long travel linkage compare to the other 3 linkages?

I've taken a couple photos of all 6 of my linkages so you can see for yourself.....I took them on grid paper and lined them up as best as I could using the forward linkage/frame pivot as the reference so you can see their respective sizes, shock placements.

Ok from left to right....1) Stock MAX FSR linkage (forging), 2) '01 FSR Enduro 4 point adjustable linkage (forging), 3) MRP FSR long travel linkage(billet, CNC machined), 4) '99 FSR DH factory linkage (billet, CNC machined), 5) FSR Big Hit linkage (forging), 6) S-Works Team DH linkage (billet, CNC machined).

The gold linkages shock placment is alot further forward than the MRP, Enduro and Big Hit links. The stock DH shock is a Fox RX and is a 6.5" i to i, and has a 1.75" stroke coupled with the longer linkage to give the 6" of travel. The wheelbase is also 1" longer because of the R.E.E.G. Engineering fabricated chainstay. A mod that can be done to this frame is the use of the Big Hit or S-Works Team DH linkages.....they're slightly longer than the gold link but the shock placement is significantly further back allowing the use of a much longer stroke shock (a 2" or maybe a 2.25" stroke shock compared to stock 1.75" stroke) for more travel, and the longer chainstay maintains the geometry within reasonable tolerances....maybe slightly steeper but with tall forks you could slacken it up a bit, and you get the 4 way adjustability as well.

The MRP linkage is almost impossible to find, but a great and not well known upgrade for the standard FSR linkage is actually the FSR Enduro 4 way linkage. It bolts straight on and has a remarkably similar geometry, mounting points and shock locations as the MRP...but it's ever so slightly shorter than the MRP so it won't give ultimately as much travel, but it has 4 way adjustability for travel and head angle so it's well worth looking into if you're in the market for a longer travel option for the stock FSR. The shock placement is much further back than the stock linkage allowing the use of a longer stroke shock. The MRP kit for the MAX frame came with the FOX RX shock and was custom made for MRP in the very unusual size of 7" i to i with a 2" stroke.

The Big Hit and the S-Works Team DH are identical in size but the Big Hit has much shorter travel because of the 24" tyre specific chain and seat stays.

I've actually gone the other way on my red MAX GC and using a much shorter 5.75" i to i, 1.5" stroke shock from a Cannondale V. The stock shock is a 6.5" x 1.5" but I wanted a slacker head tube so the shorter shock gives me that while maintaining the stock 4" travel due to the same stroke length of the shocks.

Well I hope this has been of some use to all you MAX FSR users out there.

Chat soon and take care.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Specialized FSR MAX backbone-dsc00209.jpg  

Specialized FSR MAX backbone-dsc00212.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Awesome. Thanks for that. That really helps actually. I have the Risse rear link, but have been tinkering with some longer travel shocks lately and have been thinking about trying out some other links. The length of the Risse link limits the max amount of travel. Was actually wondering if the link off of the Big Hit would work. Have you by chance ever tried fitting the Big Hit link onto your MAX FSR? Wonder how long of a shock you could fit with that thing on there...
    And yes...that is a dizzying collection of part you got there...
    Anyway, thanks for the added pics...

So wait...you bought that frame off of eBay?! Damn. Now THAT is an eBay find if i've ever seen one! Did it come with the Dorado fork on it already?! How about your FSR Team DH? Was that an eBay find as well? There's a complete FSR Team DH on eBay right now, put the starting bid is $1600 or something like that. I'd love to find just a frameset like yours to build.
    Anyway, I completely understand where you're coming from with other things getting in the way. That's why it took me so long to get BACK into MTB after an almost 9 year hiatus...just too many other things going on in my life. I finally just shelved other things and made the time. Anyway, definitely keep up updated if you get to build those frames. would love to see how they turn out!
    Last edited by atchipmunk; 02-19-2010 at 09:05 AM.

DB4L
    May 2008
    Are you selling the spesh disc adaptor? I've been looking for one of those for months. Those sharkfin things are mad hard to find.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Was actually wondering if the link off of the Big Hit would work. Have you by chance ever tried fitting the Big Hit link onto your MAX FSR? Wonder how long of a shock you could fit with that thing on there...
    Yes it will bolt on, but you'd seriously throw the geometry out in a big way and may run into clearance issues with the stock shock, mainly because the shock mounting is so far back in the linkage it will bring the linkage up more vertically and in turn bring the seat stay pivot alot closer to the seat post beam and tube. I think with a longer shock it would raise the bb height and steepen the head angle big time and require alot of dicking around to get things right again. You'd be alot safer going with an '01 Enduro linkage and slightly longer shock.....that will get you around 6" of travel, maybe a little more, and maintain your angles reasonably well.

So wait...you bought that frame off of eBay?! Damn. Now THAT is an eBay find if i've ever seen one! Did it come with the Dorado fork on it already?! How about your FSR Team DH? Was that an eBay find as well?
    Yes my friend the '99 DH was an eBay score. I got the frame and the MRP bearings for under US$200 i think....can't remember it was a few years ago. I bought the '03 dorado a little later on.

The Team DH was bought just as a totally bare main frame off eBay for US$60. I sourced the complete rear end, hardware bearings and bolts minus the shock here in Australia.

The original shock for the Team DH was a Fox Vanilla RC measuring 8.5" i to i and 2.5" stroke. I couldn't find one in that size so i bought an RC measuring 8.75 x 2.75....it would steepen the angles ever so slightly but with that ultra tall Travis fork you have alot of room for adjustment. I loved the idea of the swinger platform shocks and was told by some good DH oriented bike shops here in Sydney that the 4 way swinger was the pick of the bunch as it was alot more reliable and responsive than the 6 way.....i didn't know whether it would fit onthe Team DH but alas it does.....but ONLY in the upper most shock mounting position on the frame and ONLY with the piggy back resevoir end of the shock mounted in the linkage, with the resevoir towards the frame. In all other positions and shock mounting orientations there are clearance issues. I took the spring out of the swinger and tried every posible mounting and shock orientation combination.......that position that i just described is the only way it will work and allow you to use all 4 shock positions in the linkage with no clearance issues.

Man you just can't stop talking about these things once you get started....

Take care....

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunn Xchox
    Are you selling the spesh disc adaptor? I've been looking for one of those for months. Those sharkfin things are mad hard to find.

Sorry mate it's not for sale, it will eventually make its way on my red GC to replace the Avid V brakes on it with the Shimano XT 4pot brakes. Thanx anyway and good luck tracking one down

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by joe rumble
    I've taken a couple photos of all 6 of my linkages so you can see for yourself.....I took them on grid paper and lined them up as best as I could using the forward linkage/frame pivot as the reference so you can see their respective sizes, shock placements.

Ok from left to right....1) Stock MAX FSR linkage (forging), 2) '01 FSR Enduro 4 point adjustable linkage (forging), 3) MRP FSR long travel linkage(billet, CNC machined), 4) '99 FSR DH factory linkage (billet, CNC machined), 5) FSR Big Hit linkage (forging), 6) S-Works Team DH linkage (billet, CNC machined).

The gold linkages shock placment is alot further forward than the MRP, Enduro and Big Hit links. The stock DH shock is a Fox RX and is a 6.5" i to i, and has a 1.75" stroke coupled with the longer linkage to give the 6" of travel. The wheelbase is also 1" longer because of the R.E.E.G. Engineering fabricated chainstay. A mod that can be done to this frame is the use of the Big Hit or S-Works Team DH linkages.....they're slightly longer than the gold link but the shock placement is significantly further back allowing the use of a much longer stroke shock (a 2" or maybe a 2.25" stroke shock compared to stock 1.75" stroke) for more travel, and the longer chainstay maintains the geometry within reasonable tolerances....maybe slightly steeper but with tall forks you could slacken it up a bit, and you get the 4 way adjustability as well.

The MRP linkage is almost impossible to find, but a great and not well known upgrade for the standard FSR linkage is actually the FSR Enduro 4 way linkage. It bolts straight on and has a remarkably similar geometry, mounting points and shock locations as the MRP...but it's ever so slightly shorter than the MRP so it won't give ultimately as much travel, but it has 4 way adjustability for travel and head angle so it's well worth looking into if you're in the market for a longer travel option for the stock FSR. The shock placement is much further back than the stock linkage allowing the use of a longer stroke shock. The MRP kit for the MAX frame came with the FOX RX shock and was custom made for MRP in the very unusual size of 7" i to i with a 2" stroke.

The Big Hit and the S-Works Team DH are identical in size but the Big Hit has much shorter travel because of the 24" tyre specific chain and seat stays.

I've actually gone the other way on my red MAX GC and using a much shorter 5.75" i to i, 1.5" stroke shock from a Cannondale V. The stock shock is a 6.5" x 1.5" but I wanted a slacker head tube so the shorter shock gives me that while maintaining the stock 4" travel due to the same stroke length of the shocks.

Well I hope this has been of some use to all you MAX FSR users out there.

Chat soon and take care.....
    Hey joe, could I get you to measure link #3 & #4, center 2 center please. I'm just curious if my Risse link is close to or in between those 2. My Risse link is about 4.3". It is so cool to see another "old school" fsr still around. You have a great collection of parts there, keep up the good work. Cheers!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Hey skip thanks for the kind words. I just LOVE these older MAX FSR's....I have a real passion and soft spot for them. Modern bikes just don't do it for me like the MAX FSR's do.

I tried to measure these as accurately as I humanly could hehe....

The MRP linkage measures pretty much on 4 7/16" (113mm) center to center. From the frame pivot to the shock bolt center is 2 5/8" (68mm).

The gold '99 DH linkage measured pretty much on 4 7/8" (124mm) center to center. From the frame pivot to the shock bolt center is 2 1/8" (53mm).

Hope this helps.

Take care.......

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Hey skip thanks for the kind words. I just LOVE these older MAX FSR's....I have a real passion and soft spot for them. Modern bikes just don't do it for me like the MAX FSR's do.

I tried to measure these as accurately as I humanly could hehe....

The MRP linkage measures pretty much on 4 7/16" (113mm) center to center. From the frame pivot to the shock bolt center is 2 5/8" (68mm).

The gold '99 DH linkage measured pretty much on 4 7/8" (124mm) center to center. From the frame pivot to the shock bolt center is 2 1/8" (53mm).

Hope this helps.

Take care.......
    Thanx joe, thats what I needed. I have a few more ??? for ya but I'm feelin a bit under the weather right now, so I'll touch base with ya tomorrow, K? Thanx again.
    Skip...............

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Hope you feel better Skip. You took the words right outta my mouth as asking lengths was gonna be my next question for Mr. Rumble...

Joe....can I trouble you to also take measurements of the Big Hit Linkage as well? I'm currently running a Risse linkage with a 7.5"x2.0" Fox DHX 5.0. With that combo and how i'm running it, i'm getting a little over 6" of travel. I also recently acquired a 2009 8.5"x2.5" DHX 5.0 to play with. Trying to get to close to 7" to match the 170mm of travel from my Marzocchi Junior T fork, but don't want to screw up the geometry while doing it. I can run the 8.5" DHX using the lower set of upper shock mounting holes on my frame, but I think the length of the Risse link may be a slightly limiting factor in actual travel. I think a lnkage that is the length as the gold DH link, but with the shock mount location of the MRP or Enduro link old be perfect...

Hey Rod...if you're out there....any chance you could measure your BETD linkage? Not the overall length, but the distances from the frame side pivot to the 3 shock mounting points on the linkage. Pretty please?

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Joe....can I trouble you to also take measurements of the Big Hit Linkage as well?

Ok here you go....it's pretty long compared with the others....

Total length center to center....5 5/8" (143mm), frame pivot to forward most shock bolt center 3 9/16" (91mm), frame pivot to rear most shock bolt center 4" (111mm)

S-Works Team DH link is identical.

Good luck & take care.....

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Ok here you go....it's pretty long compared with the others....

Total length center to center....5 5/8" (143mm), frame pivot to forward most shock bolt center 3 9/16" (91mm), frame pivot to rear most shock bolt center 4" (111mm)

S-Works Team DH link is identical.

Good luck & take care.....
    Thanks for that Joe Rumble. Sounds like that might be too long. Actually, I think the length of the link would be ok...it's the mounting point for the shock that I forsee as a problem. Anyway, thanks again!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Hope you feel better Skip. You took the words right outta my mouth as asking lengths was gonna be my next question for Mr. Rumble...

Joe....can I trouble you to also take measurements of the Big Hit Linkage as well? I'm currently running a Risse linkage with a 7.5"x2.0" Fox DHX 5.0. With that combo and how i'm running it, i'm getting a little over 6" of travel. I also recently acquired a 2009 8.5"x2.5" DHX 5.0 to play with. Trying to get to close to 7" to match the 170mm of travel from my Marzocchi Junior T fork, but don't want to screw up the geometry while doing it. I can run the 8.5" DHX using the lower set of upper shock mounting holes on my frame, but I think the length of the Risse link may be a slightly limiting factor in actual travel. I think a lnkage that is the length as the gold DH link, but with the shock mount location of the MRP or Enduro link old be perfect...

Hey Rod...if you're out there....any chance you could measure your BETD linkage? Not the overall length, but the distances from the frame side pivot to the 3 shock mounting points on the linkage. Pretty please?
    Alvin, about a year ago I rode with a guy that had a couple of these Max bikes with a Risse rear set up. One of them had a Jupitor 5R rear shock on it and he claimed he was getting 7" travel out of it. I don't know what the i2i was on it. But maybe a longer shock with a remote res. could get you around 7" of travel. Just my .02

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Alvin, about a year ago I rode with a guy that had a couple of these Max bikes with a Risse rear set up. One of them had a Jupitor 5R rear shock on it and he claimed he was getting 7" travel out of it. I don't know what the i2i was on it. But maybe a longer shock with a remote res. could get you around 7" of travel. Just my .02
    Thanks for that Skip. Did the bike have a high standover height or a super high BB height? I'm trying to get 7" without jacking up the rear end excessively and completely messing up the geometry, etc. Although the Risse line of shocks do have longer travel for a given i2i length...longer than most other shock manufactuers. Right now i've got a 8.5x2.5" Fox DHX that i'm playing with and it might be a bit long. Jacks up the rear end a little higher than i'd like...even with the hex link set on the "lowest" setting. The 8.0x2.5" Jupiter 5R would probably be perfect...only problem is the price....

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    The standover wasn't to bad, but the BB was pretty high. He did have the whole Risse rearend on there so the seatstays are adjustable as well.You are right, the 8 x 2.5 would probably be a perfect fit for what you want. I agree with you on the price of the shocks, pretty spendy. To bad you couldn't talk Kevin into a sponsorship or something and give you a helluva discount on the rest of the parts you need.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I just got a FSR MAX frame Brand new never used (1999) from a guy who had it as spare parts. It has the Mountain Speed link on it and stuff like that. It came with a brand new 2001 Carbon X-vert. OMG I was happy when I got this thing! It is a large frame but he has a used medium he is giving me for $100.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Nice find there steven, very clean looking cycle. That swing link really looks like the Risse Hex link that I have on my rig. Had a chance to ride it yet? Oh yeah, welcome to the FSR ranks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Not much. This is my first real bike and I am still learning all the ins and outs of setup. I did take it off a 7 foot jump and was surprised that I didn't die....good start!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    My old-school '99 Specialized FSR DH (MAX Backbone) Build...(long) Go to this thread and check out some of the other FSR's out there. I'm sure some of those guys would like to see what you have found.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    WOW, so you got the frame (or the whole bike) for $100 american? WOW!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    no $600. The other frame will cost me $100. LOL...I wish!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Hi,

I got one too

Bought second hand, barely used. Spins from eBay, full XTR.

A joyride

SL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Specialized FSR MAX backbone-img_0414.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Nice find there steven, very clean looking cycle. That swing link really looks like the Risse Hex link that I have on my rig. Had a chance to ride it yet? Oh yeah, welcome to the FSR ranks.
    Skip....if i'm not mistaken. The linkage on there looks to be the Mountain Speed Long Travel Kit. Used to be quite popular for these bikes back in the day, but seem to be pretty hard to find now...

Anyway, nice to see a couple more old-school FSR's out there...

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Skip....if i'm not mistaken. The linkage on there looks to be the Mountain Speed Long Travel Kit. Used to be quite popular for these bikes back in the day, but seem to be pretty hard to find now...

Anyway, nice to see a couple more old-school FSR's out there...

Yep Alvin it is most definitely an MRP linkage....and an MRP brake adapter too....Still running the factory bushings though....

steven and kaptein....gorgeous bikes guys....you've both done well to score such awesome bikes in the condition they're in, and glad to welcome and hear from more MAX FSR fans....thanks for sharing

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I had no clue what I was buying till afterwords. I all I kept thinking when I seen it was....dirt bike...Between the forks the bars and the stance I thought it just looked like dirt bike frame minus the motor and tank!

After reading about the MAX frame vs all the stumpjumpers I am quite happy to have this bike. Now all I got to do is go enter some races....if there are any in my area.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Hey steven, a good friend of mine said the same thing about my rig, how cool.

Welcome Kaptein, enjoy the ride. Cheers!

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    So who here knows where to get derailleur hangers for these bikes at? Had some der issues and now I am hangar-less and running single speed!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by steven_first
    So who here knows where to get derailleur hangers for these bikes at? Had some der issues and now I am hangar-less and running single speed!
    I just may have a couple of those little dudes. Post a pic and I will look, see if I can find them.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I just may have a couple of those little dudes. Post a pic and I will look, see if I can find them.
    I don't have the rest of the hanger around the bike but let me know if you need to see it...I think it is still on the crap derailleur! Let me know if you need any other pics or info!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Specialized FSR MAX backbone-2010-04-13-19.13.33.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by steven_first
    I don't have the rest of the hanger around the bike but let me know if you need to see it...I think it is still on the crap derailleur! Let me know if you need any other pics or info!
    Yeah, I have a couple of those around here somewhere, let me do some searching and I'll get back to ya, koo?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    OK steven 1st, I found 'em. They're not mint, but they are straight and better than what you have there. Shoot me a PM if ya want with your address and we'll get these puppies in the mail to ya.
    Skip..................

mtbr member
    Does anyone know how the sizing on these goes? I saw one post that said they only came in Small, Medium & Large but then I have seen others size them as 17, 19, etc. Would a 19 be considered a Medium or a Large? I have a non-Max FSR 19 inch that it fits me really well.

Does anyone have a 19 inch equivalent Max frame that they would like to sell? Preferably with the upgraded linkage, bearing kit and disc mount.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Here's what I have from a spec sheet: sm, med, lg, xl. I don't know if they ever measured in inches or not.
    If you measure from center of bb to top of seat tube, 19" should be a large. You can measure the top tube length and that will tell you the size also. If you have anymore questions let me know, be glad to help.
    Cheers
    Skip...............

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I think you're right there skip....If I can recall they go up in 2" increments....15" small, 17" medium, 19" large and 21" x-large.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

For Sale: Newly Powdercoated Max Backbone

Another Max Backbone fan here. I was going to build a second one but never got very far. If you're interested in a Medium 17" frame, please contact me. Just the 3 pieces - you'll need to build it up from scratch.

Powdercoated at MAAS Brothers (a leading powder coater in the Bay Area).

A two coat powdercoat. It has a VERY deep / wet / candy coat look.

$200. - just about the cost of the powder coat.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    great thread... thanks for all the pics and info in here ... friend of mine just gave me a '98 FSR elite... needs some tidbits on it (chain, pads, and levers) and cleaned up but neat bike... large frame and the suspension just aren't up to my height or weight needs doh lol..
    prob going to clean it up get it rideable and sell her to someone who can enjoy her...

on a side note... boy does that triple clamp fork look mean...
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

fsr 1999

Hi, I am writing from Spain. I was lucky I discovered this post I attach some pics of my bike. It is exactly as I bought it (only NC-17 mod was added).

Yeah, this is a great bike!!! ... Now I want to make some upgrades to it and I need some help from you guys.

I want to upgrade my rear suspension, because I think I can get a better (much better) performance using one of the new rear suspensions that you can buy now. I have checked the whole post, but -because my poor english- I am not sure about what rear suspension I can mount. I have checked various rear suspensions (fox, manitou, ..) but none have the exact measure for this bike (eye-to-eye: 15,8cm = 6,22"). Only Risse has one (Astro 5), but itīs difficult for me to contact them (it takes a week or more to them to answer an email). Can anyone tell me what other options do I have? I donīt know if I can mount for example a rock shox Monarch 4.2 with this measures: 165 x 38mm (6.5 x 1.5")? I live in a small island and itīs not easy for me to see physically the rear suspensions and check if they work. Therefore I must be 100% sure before I order it online.

Anyone can suggest a rear suspension that works great with this bike? mainly use enduro/all mountain.

Once I upgrade my rear suspension, ishould I also upgrade the bearings in my rear suspension? Any ideas where I can get some kits for it appart from Betd ones?

Also, I am not sure if buying one linkage (for example Betd has 2 options: Specialized FSR XC 99/00 or Specialized FSR Gc 97 to 99 and Enduro 00 to 01) would help me to mount a "more standard rear suspension" for example like Monarc/Rp23? What is the main use of this linkages?

And last, how can I mount a rear disk brake? I have seen a lot of pics of your bikes, but cannot see in detail how it is done.

Thx in advance for your help.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Specialized FSR MAX backbone-fsr-99-bis.jpg  

Specialized FSR MAX backbone-fsr-99-_-rear-disk-brake-4-bis.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I know you mentioned that Risse takes some time to responde to your e-mail's, but truthfully he is probably the guy you really need to try and do business with. He makes a complete rear triangle for the FSR, which includes the disc brake tabs, needle bearing pivots. Another plus for Risse, he has all the dimensions for this bike so when you get his stuff it bolts right on and off you go.
    I had that very same bike at one time and over time I had a complete Risse rear triangle on it and what a difference it made. If you can, I think your best bet would be to give Risse a try. Thats just my opinion. Aside from having my Astro-5 rebuilt a couple times, I've been running Risse stuff on my FSR Elite for 7 years now, no issues. Good to see another FSR out there. Good luck with your project.
    My old-school '99 Specialized FSR DH (MAX Backbone) Build...(long) Here is something for you to look at.
    It's a long thread, but some good info and pictures too.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Thx for replay. I will call tomorrow Risse by phone. I hope this helps and I can order from them. I will later update my post.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by razzta01
    Thx for replay. I will call tomorrow Risse by phone. I hope this helps and I can order from them. I will later update my post.
    If you want, you can mention my name to Kevin (Risse), it may help a little.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    If you want, you can mention my name to Kevin (Risse), it may help a little.
    Hi, talked today with Kevin. Everything is ok now. Thx.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Hi gents....and gals if you're there....stumbled on this online site/forum devoted to the MAX BB frame....there's only 2 members there, myself and the admin guy, i joined a couple of months ago, but site has been up for a couple of years I think....just thought you guys might be interested in pulling all resources and experience together in the one place with a common interest....up to you guys, but just putting it out there....here's the link http://www.wix.com/mbbadmin/max%20backbone

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Hi again!

Looking forward to upgrade my bike .... now I want to upgrade my drivetrain.

I have all components that came with my original bike, but I am not sure if I can combine them with some new stuff. Let me explain ... my rear Derailleur does not have a "fixed arm" like the new ones. So my question is: can I combine my whole drivetrain with a new rear Derailleur? If yes, what can you recommend?

I am asking you because the guy at my local bike shop told me the only option would be I buy the whole new drivetrain...he suggested shimano xt 2010, but it is quite a lot of $.

Now I have: 1 deore Lx rear & front Derailleur.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Hi, is Kevin Risse still able to sort me out with a rear end? The Risse Racing web site seems to be down, I'd hate to think that he has folded. Any info or a phone number much appreciated (and should be put on the MBB site too)

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmAwelon
    Hi, is Kevin Risse still able to sort me out with a rear end? The Risse Racing web site seems to be down, I'd hate to think that he has folded. Any info or a phone number much appreciated (and should be put on the MBB site too)
    I just looked and their website (http://www.risseracing.com) and it worked for me. I also tried calling the number I had stored in my phone (same as listed on their website): 541-526-7242 and got the Risse Racing answering machine, so it looks like they're still in business. I still need to buy their rear triangle for my Max BB FSR (or at LEAST their seat stays for the bearings and integrated disc mount) so I *hope* they're still in business...no one else still makes parts for this bike...

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Hi again!

Looking forward to upgrade my bike .... now I want to upgrade my drivetrain.

I have all components that came with my original bike, but I am not sure if I can combine them with some new stuff. Let me explain ... my rear Derailleur does not have a "fixed arm" like the new ones. So my question is: can I combine my whole drivetrain with a new rear Derailleur? If yes, what can you recommend?

I am asking you because the guy at my local bike shop told me the only option would be I buy the whole new drivetrain...he suggested shimano xt 2010, but it is quite a lot of $.

Now I have: 1 deore Lx rear & front Derailleur.
    Hey razzta...I went through this same thing earlier this year when I built my Max BB frame. I don't know if you could get a newer RD to work with the rest of your older drivetrain, but honestly, It's probably a safer bet to just upgrade the shifters and derailleurs at the same time...that way, you'll KNOW they'll work together. That's what I did with my Max BB FSR...upgraded to a complete '09 SRAM X9 drivetrain (everything was bought on sale since at the time it was last year's models) and couldn't be happier. Shifts much better than my old, worn out LX drivetrain, and I got the added benefit of a 9-speed rear. Oh, and it looks the part as well.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Thanks - Risse's www. must have just been having a funny moment last night. I like what he does there with that modular rear end. It opens up disc possibilities for plenty of retro full- sussers.

Here in the UK my mate Postman Dan had a '98 non-MAX Ground Control Extreme in grabba green. He upgraded it with the BETD link and their needle bearings as each set of bushes wore out. Apart from the fact that the v-brakes braking on carbon composite Spin wheels were rubbish stoppers it was a surprisingly good ride and he was beating lots of newer rigs DH.

This Easter he got lucky on ebay and upgraded the chassis to a '98 Ground Control FSR Pro with the Maxbackbone. It also came with box section BETD seatstays (no longer available) so was disc friendly. A very nice ride and to be honest I'd like one myself to park alongside my fleet of Specialized bikes. BETD do us proud over here in the UK and I am glad they keep some of you rolling over the pond.

I'm sure once I point him to this he'll get some pictures up for you guys although he can be a bit lazy unless it concerns selling something on ebay!
    Last edited by JimmAwelon; 07-14-2010 at 06:30 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmAwelon
    Hi! Yes, Rise is working. I just bought 1 Astro-5 recently.
    And yes: he is still selling the whole back suspension (you can also buy each part of the back suspension separately if you want). Kevin from Risse is a nice guy.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Hey razzta...I went through this same thing earlier this year when I built my Max BB frame. I don't know if you could get a newer RD to work with the rest of your older drivetrain, but honestly, It's probably a safer bet to just upgrade the shifters and derailleurs at the same time...that way, you'll KNOW they'll work together. That's what I did with my Max BB FSR...upgraded to a complete '09 SRAM X9 drivetrain (everything was bought on sale since at the time it was last year's models) and couldn't be happier. Shifts much better than my old, worn out LX drivetrain, and I got the added benefit of a 9-speed rear. Oh, and it looks the part as well.
    Ok, I think I will go this way: just buying the whole drivetrain kit. How much did you pay for your SRAM?
    Do you know any shop that has now a good offer of any drivetrain (i am looking for slx or xt or sramīs equivalent (what would it be?)

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Ok, I think I will go this way: just buying the whole drivetrain kit. How much did you pay for your SRAM?
    Do you know any shop that has now a good offer of any drivetrain (i am looking for slx or xt or sramīs equivalent (what would it be?)
    Hmm...haven't tallied up the totals, but I bought it all piecemeal from different places online depending on who had the better prices. A good majority I got from Pricepoint.com and Jensonusa.com. Last year's models are usually available for a pretty good price. Pricepoint also usually has the derailleurs and shifters packaged as well for a slight savings. Definitely worth checking out.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I picked this guy up a few weeks ago. Haven't really had time to go for a good ride yet except for a rail trail with the fiance. My only beef with it is not knowing how well the rear shock will take big hits.

Specs: MAXX backbone frame, Rock Shox Boxxer fork, azonic bar and stem, Chris King headset, Sun Ringle wheels and hubs, IRC Kujo DH tires, Hayes hydraulic front and rear, XT front and XTR rear. And the really old Rock Shox SID rear shock.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugemoose
    I picked this guy up a few weeks ago. Haven't really had time to go for a good ride yet except for a rail trail with the fiance. My only beef with it is not knowing how well the rear shock will take big hits.

Specs: MAXX backbone frame, Rock Shox Boxxer fork, azonic bar and stem, Chris King headset, Sun Ringle wheels and hubs, IRC Kujo DH tires, Hayes hydraulic front and rear, XT front and XTR rear. And the really old Rock Shox SID rear shock.

Nice bike Hugemoose! Don't know how that rear shock would handle bigger hits either, but the way the rest of the bike is built it looks like you could probably benefit from a longer travel rear link (and maybe a beefier rear shock) like the Risse Hex link or BETD linkage (only 2 that I know of that are still being made currently for our bikes).

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Thanks for the tips about the linkage. I'll definitely be looking into those!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugemoose
    Thanks for the tips about the linkage. I'll definitely be looking into those!
    Yeah, I had a Risse Hex Link on my Max BB FSR and it's a well designed piece. Made the rear travel feel more plush than the stock linkage. A worthwhile purchase IMHO. I recently, however, switched to a rear linkage off of a 2000 Big Hit because it is longer and would allow me to run a longer shock in an attempt to get even more rear travel than the Risse Link would give me (I wanted to even out the rear travel with the 170mm Marzocchi Junior T front fork). Pics and info can be found on the build thread for my bike here: My old-school '99 Specialized FSR DH (MAX Backbone) Build...(long)

A couple guys on here run the BETD linkage and seem to like it as well. It is a bit longer than the Risse one and works with a stock length rear shock. Perhaps one of the guys with the BETD link will chime in...

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Yeah, I had a Risse Hex Link on my Max BB FSR and it's a well designed piece. Made the rear travel feel more plush than the stock linkage. A worthwhile purchase IMHO. I recently, however, switched to a rear linkage off of a 2000 Big Hit because it is longer and would allow me to run a longer shock in an attempt to get even more rear travel than the Risse Link would give me (I wanted to even out the rear travel with the 170mm Marzocchi Junior T front fork). Pics and info can be found on the build thread for my bike here: My old-school '99 Specialized FSR DH (MAX Backbone) Build...(long)

A couple guys on here run the BETD linkage and seem to like it as well. It is a bit longer than the Risse one and works with a stock length rear shock. Perhaps one of the guys with the BETD link will chime in...
    That's certainly an interesting thing to do. I'll have to look into that. My biggest concern is if I buy a new link making sure that I buy the correct length shock. It seems that Fox makes some really reasonably price rear shocks. I could pick up a simple non-external reservoir one for $100 bucks. Or a slightly better one for $200. That's not too shabby! I did put it through it's paces yesterday and the rear did seem to keep up rather well, but there is always room for improvement.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    atchipmunk, you have a PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Hi again, some pics of my new astro-5. I still need to install it..i will post more pics when installed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Specialized FSR MAX backbone-astro-5-1.jpg  

Specialized FSR MAX backbone-astro-5-2.jpg  

Specialized FSR MAX backbone-astro-5-3.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Hi, I tried to install the Astro-5 and it does not fit in properly.

I had to change the bushes (I think you call it like this) to the other side.

Now it fits in but I am not sure if I can install the shock like this (itīs placement is exactly the opposite as it comes with the stock position). Pls, can anyone confirm if this is ok?

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Hi !

Another question: where can I get bearings to update my rear suspension?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Hey Razzta...I'm pretty sure it shouldn't be a problem to run the Risse shock in that position. To be sure, though, you should give Risse a call and ask.

As for the Bearings, I believe the only place that sells just the bearings themselves is BETD in the UK. Risse only has bearings available as part of their rear chain and seat stays. Don't think they sell them by themselves, but it's worth asking when you call about the shock. Hope this helps.

Alvin

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    BETD is where you get the bearing kits. They make the suspension even better.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 31