Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Spam: Wheelset wanted (XT, RM-17 or RM-20, etc)

575 views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  DeeEight 
#1 ·
I need a 6-speed, Shimano compatible mid/late 1980s lightweight wheelset for my Schwinn Paramountain project. Rear hub spacing is 130mm. The bike has full M730 XT, so that's what I'm leaning toward on hubs; but anything of similar quality will be considered as long as it's compatible with the Shimano shifters/derailleur.

Used in very good condition ($50-$75, depending on condition) or NOS at a reasonable price (around $100) would be ideal. Please email me if you have something available...

Thanks!

My MTBR Ad

See less See more
#2 ·
i know Jeroen in the Netherlands has some NOS RM-20 and RM-17 rims for ya. cheap too.

#3 ·
Drop me a line at Jeroen AT dirty-pages.net.

Ive got a stash of RM20's and RM17's in several colors.

#7 ·
cegrover said:
I need a 6-speed, Shimano compatible mid/late 1980s lightweight wheelset for my Schwinn Paramountain project. Rear hub spacing is 130mm. The bike has full M730 XT, so that's what I'm leaning toward on hubs; but anything of similar quality will be considered as long as it's compatible with the Shimano shifters/derailleur.

Used in very good condition ($50-$75, depending on condition) or NOS at a reasonable price (around $100) would be ideal. Please email me if you have something available...

Thanks!

My MTBR Ad
Is that the Ned Overend signature version? Looks like it. There's a thead or two here about the bike. Good stuff.

The one's I've seen have been outfitted with Suntour too.

(thanks for posting in the classifieds btw)

#8 ·
Rumpfy said:
Is that the Ned Overend signature version? Looks like it. There's a thead or two here about the bike. Good stuff.

The one's I've seen have been outfitted with Suntour too.

(thanks for posting in the classifieds btw)
You gotta get Rollecam brakes, thats what Ned used, and get that '86 Durango Nationals DVD from Sky, its a must have if you have a Paramountain :p

#9 ·
kb11 said:
You gotta get Rollecam brakes, thats what Ned used, and get that '86 Durango Nationals DVD from Sky, its a must have if you have a Paramountain :p
yeah, rollercams for sure.

-Sky

#11 ·
kb11 said:
I'm keeping a casual eye out for rollercams, but it currently has like-new XT U-brakes front and rear. Frankly, I find the front U-brake amusing enough that I'll keep those unless rollercams come my way for really cheap. The bike does have Suntour stem, bar and seatpost, so Suntour would make some sense; but the derailleurs, shifters, brake levers, brakes and cranks are all XT (M730).

Question to all: Can I use a Suntour rear hub (and thus Suntour-compatible cassette or freewheel) with the Shimano 6-speed shifter and derailleur that are on the bike? If so, that may open up my options. I assume I could get by with Suntour cogs using friction shifting (?), but I'm not so sure about the spacing for indexing. I'd like to keep functional index shifting.

Oh...to answer Rumpfy's question...yes, it does have Ned's signature. There seem to be only about three or four known Paramountains on this forum - I think they all have the signature.

#13 ·
bushpig said:
I am pretty certain that indexing isn't compatible between Suntour and XT 6 speed. If memory serves me correctly, one is symmetrical and one isn't. If you wanted Suntour it is a shame because I sold an almost new wheelset last week RM-17s and XC Comp for around $15.
My thoughts exactly on compatibility.

I was actually watching your auction, but decided I wasn't sure enough about compatibility to bid on them.

Cason

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.