mtbr member

SPAM: Shimano thumb shifters, 4 sets for sale!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Drop me a PM. I will likely take both of the XT sets if you want to create me a package price. PM me with what you think is reasonable.

Humanoid Lobster
    I often wonder, if Shimano still made thumbshifters for their current groups how well would they sell as compared to all of the shifting contraptions they now sell.

I suppose the sales numbers for Paul Thumbies and IRD shift adapters might tell us a partial answer.

Anyway, good for you for the ad. I'm good for shifters, just couldn't resist the chance to ramble on a bit about them.
    Don't call it a gooseneck.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jak0zilla View Post
    I often wonder, if Shimano still made thumbshifters for their current groups how well would they sell as compared to all of the shifting contraptions they now sell.

I suppose the sales numbers for Paul Thumbies and IRD shift adapters might tell us a partial answer.

Anyway, good for you for the ad. I'm good for shifters, just couldn't resist the chance to ramble on a bit about them.
    datmony: PM sent

JakOzilla: I have often wondered the same thing myself. I have converted all my mountain bikes that have shifters over to Pauls thumbies with Shimano barend shifters, thus the sale of all of these. This is a VERY popular setup with the bikepacking crowd because of the simplicity and reliability. Some of the Surly and I think Salsa bikes actually come standard with this setup, but with Microshift shifters instead of Shimano ones. I prefer the Shimano, as they have the friction option for when thinks go wonky!

Anyway, back to your regularly scheduled program...

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

E-mail sent back too.

And totally agree about when things go wonky. I always laughed at my buddies back in the day who moved over to index shifting and then either tweaked a derailleur cage, hanger, or we were in the mud. They would be clacking away skipping like crazy and I would trim my shifter a tiny bit and tool on by. Still is all any of my bikes have on them.

artistic...
    Paul set ups are lighter by 60grs.. but the old xt thumbies feel solid and ergonomic in a better way.
    If i run friction then the suntours are the best of both worlds: light and ergonomic.
    want: Ibis ti handlebar. suntour 31.8 front derr. bottom pull

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeny View Post
    datmony: PM sent

JakOzilla: I have converted all my mountain bikes that have shifters over to Pauls thumbies with Shimano barend shifters, thus the sale of all of these. This is a VERY popular setup with the bikepacking crowd because of the simplicity and reliability.
    Just a data point, I used to run Pauls thumbies with Shimano barend 9-speed shifters until the rear Shimano shifter just flat out quit working. There is no way to take the shifter apart to figure out what went wrong either.
    Mountain bikers, hikers and horseback riders are not the enemy. Bulldozers are the enemy.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    That is the beauty of the XTs (of DX for that matter) is that you can actually take them apart and service them, not that you ever need to. I still have a set from 92 that work perfect and they have never been apart. They may have even been used when I got them in '92. I love that they still will work with any drivetrain setup you can imagine. All of my current setups except 1 are running 9 speeds and the thumbies still work like they were made for it.

I did see over on Retrobike a posting about someone drilling out the plate in them as well to make them have a 9 speed index setup which is cool too. I never run anything but friction mode but for someone that was a indexing die hard might be nice.

For some reason I have just never liked the feel of the XC Pros though. Just something about them that is not as "natural" of a feel to me.