this account retired

Something old...something new...

well, mostly newer non-vintage stuff, but for me its a big step in the right (vintage) direction

I guess technically, the only old-ish stuff is the frame and stem, but still.....got it together today and will be riding tomorrow morning....cant wait!!!

Some miscellaneous shots I got in between running kid and wife errands this evening.

Shot of rear dropout (obviously)...kewl cuz is says GT

Another GT stamp on frame

Oh my! I LOVE the feel of these levers/brakes....I was shocked to have a disc-like sensation (on the street ride anyway)

More brake stoke...front and rear, to include sweet fork which i think i am gonna love!

I gotta say, I LOVE the bars. HUGE PROPS to Seven....only 2 weeks for custom bars. Unheard of nowadays where people are waiting ridiculous amounts of time for custom stuff and heck, even for a lot of non-custom stuff. I speced 27" bars with 10 deg sweet and am stoked for sure. Also note the sweet Titec 130mm Ti stem my man Chad hooked me up with. it is perfect for this setup!

And the 2006 XTR 960 cranks I picked up....pserisouly stoked on the polished cranks with cut down outer chainring single speed look

and some random bike pics.

and i still have original stickers in the bag....dont think i will put them on. looks nice as is.

the ONLY thing I see changing is perhaps a Ti seatpost, but thats it and of course cutting the steerer tube as appropriate so as to have less spacers as well....once I settle in to the right height for the front.

Thanks to those helped vet some parts for me.

Cheers

trail fairy
    ha that garage door looks familiar

Looks great FPD yummy ti the bars are awesome from the pix

not sure about ya stack height, plus shouldn't the spacers be seven Ti or is the color affecting my eyes

In all a very sweet SS rig which looks darn fast and no doubt be a comfy ride for an HT

Enjoy bud, has the RFX got any love lately?
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

this account retired
    Quote Originally Posted by trailadvent
    ha that garage door looks familiar

Looks great FPD yummy ti the bars are awesome from the pix

not sure about ya stack height, plus shouldn't the spacers be seven Ti or is the color affecting my eyes

In all a very sweet SS rig which looks darn fast and no doubt be a comfy ride for an HT

Enjoy bud, has the RFX got any love lately?
    yeah, once i figure out the height i will get different spacers but the ones on there are SMALL so i nail the height i want first.

RFX may get out Monday and yes, i still LOVE that bike a ton and it is a keeper. There is no FS i would rather have right now. Though it felt good to get a bike under $2000 this time around

this account retired
    wow! what a fun bike!

did a 24 miler yesterday with a litle bit of everything and i tell yuh, what i missed most was my conditioning which has gone to pot over the past 4 months.

my ONLY complaint, which is not a fair one cuz older geometry i suppose was just different, is that the top tube could be longer but hey, with the 130mm stem it works out fine...got used to it quickly.

also, i have never had a bike where the stem is so much lower than the saddle but that is simply cuz i have always intentionally avoided that but hey, again, that is how this bike want to be and got used to that too.

The bike was truly a blast and i loved everything, every part on it. Perhaps the single most amazing thing (I know....not vintage but still) are the brakes. I have NEVER felt non disc brakes that felt so much like disc brakes....Pauls modulation is OUSTANDING. Down a 5 mile single track that while not technical with drops and the such, has plenty of rough rocky riding so I knew my brakes woudl be tested. Never once did I need more than single finger braking....truly outstanding.

the bars were incredible....what a perfect feel.

anyway, the best thing is that I missed NOTHING that modern day marketeers would have you believe (to include the many mtbr cut-and-paster cliche artists from the likes of the 29er forum).

What I did not miss that I paid close attention to, as compared to my other bike(s), to include 4 29ers I have owned over the past 2 years or so, are listed below. Bikes are like multivariate equations where many variables contribute to the ride with bigger wheels, type of brakes, type of frame, etc...all contributing to the ride, no matter what a single forum would have you believe. my 2 cents.

did NOT miss suspension
    did NOT miss disc brakes
    did NOT miss 180mm cranks
    did NOT miss the bigger wheels at all
    and did NOT miss a frame made this century!
    Last edited by Faux Part Deux; 05-27-2007 at 06:48 AM.

Thumbs Up!
    [QUOTE=Faux Part Deux]well, mostly newer non-vintage stuff, but for me its a big step in the right (vintage) direction

I guess technically, the only old-ish stuff is the frame and stem, but still.....got it together today and will be riding tomorrow morning....cant wait!!!

Some miscellaneous shots I got in between running kid and wife errands this evening.

Shot of rear dropout (obviously)...kewl cuz is says GT

Nice looking bike - Sweet build!

I'd cut that steer tube and put a Moots ti seatpost with layback and be DONE.
    "Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth"
    Mike Tyson

T , V , & K Rider
    Nov 2004
    An ole Ti GT ................. sweet , I heard rumors you were building up a classic frame ! Nice find ! Dang , everytime I see some of your posts I think of getting a light SS someday ! TIG.

this account retired
    Quote Originally Posted by J Ro
    I'd cut that steer tube and put a Moots ti seatpost with layback and be DONE.
    unfortunately, after trial and error, I need most of the spacers but I don't care; I need it to work right first and foremost. will get some moots spacers.

would get a moots post, but no go due to size needed unfortunately

Living Life Behind Bars..
    I like the cranks polished. I saw one htat Jeff Jones did and yours looks good. Did you buff / polish yourself or did you buy them from someone that did set up that finish ?
    Attached Images Attached Images

this account retired
    Quote Originally Posted by g-t-
    I like the cranks polished. I saw one htat Jeff Jones did and yours looks good. Did you buff / polish yourself or did you buy them from someone that did set up that finish ?
    they are not even close in refinement to what you would get from jones. in fact, I would call them more stripped of the lame grey xtr polish....definitely not polished. however, might put a little elbow grease into it though I doubt it since they look good enough for me. also, jones would grind down the outer chainring bolt much closer to the inside one and it would be way smoother looking and not as crude a job that was done to mine. having said all that, I only paid $140 for my whole set off of ebay and that is a killer deal.....would not even want to know what jones cranks cost, especially somebody like aquaholics version with the friggin boone ring. funniest part is that hee (aqua) is such a loser, he doesn't even use em! lol

trail fairy
    Great to here FPD good to see ya got your ride stoke

On the things ya miss re marketeers the marketeers only win when ya buy there shiat for the wrong application and lets face it consumers don't know what the heck they want or need so easilly sucked in.

I ride suspension cause my back is toast, than you FS

I ride big suspension cause I love to huck so horses for course my friend, and you are back on course which is all good, good to hear the bars are working for ya, sounds like ya coud havevdone with a tad more TT length

Enjoy that sweet ti rocket, riding is ridng no matter what
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Negative Rep Points!!!!

Hite Rite

Find a Hite Rite for that beastie, fool.
    What the EFF is "All MOUNTAIN"???

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    congrats Faux.... so now I know where the Xizang on Chad's blog was going

It looks great!

artistic...
    looks perfect. i would leace 1.5in of spacers, have a 10 135 stem and cut the steerer.

EDIT: where did you get those brakes/levers? from Paul directly?
    WTB: Bomber Z2 1 1/8 steerer, in good to excellent shape OR bomber rebuild kit.

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    bad ass! looks great all together at last and the fact that ya acctually RODE it is even more impressive! awsome work buddy. ya done real good.
    No, I'm NOT back!

this account retired
    Quote Originally Posted by colker1
    looks perfect. i would leace 1.5in of spacers, have a 10 135 stem and cut the steerer.

EDIT: where did you get those brakes/levers? from Paul directly?
    thanks....getting 2 20mm Moots Ti spacers which will put me right about 1.5" of spacers. Will try this stem with that setup...also ordered new bars today (27" with only 3 deg bend) so that too will give me some more needed reach. Would hate to fuss with a new stem but if the new setup does not work, that will be next.

as for the brakes, nah...got em from my dawg Chad from redbarnbicycles.com (who i get most everything from)....HIGHLY recommend you contact Chad for all your new and vintage needs!

cheers
    Last edited by Faux Part Deux; 05-29-2007 at 05:25 PM.

this account retired
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    bad ass! looks great all together at last and the fact that ya acctually RODE it is even more impressive! awsome work buddy. ya done real good.
    Thx Tom....yeah, I like it and it is almost dialed in. Sitting in my office behind me and will get another 15 miles tomorrow before I start the day which for me, is almost back to regular riding now!

mtbr member

enroute

Quote Originally Posted by Aquaholic
    Find a Hite Rite for that beastie, fool.

no faux...it isn't a mousetrap. But still....watch your fingers.
    Attached Images Attached Images

this account retired
    so Chad, can you get me one for the RFX you built me as well? that would be hawt!! thanks again for the sweet hook up on the Xizang!!!

artistic...
    Quote Originally Posted by Faux Part Deux
    thanks....getting 2 20mm Moots Ti spacers which will put me right about 1.5" of spacers. Will try this stem with that setup...also ordered new bars today (27" with only 3 deg bend) so that too will give me some more needed reach. Would hate to fuss with a new stem but if the new setup does not work, that will be next.

as for the brakes, nah...got em from my dawg Chad from redbarnbicycles.com (who i get most everything from)....HIGHLY recommend you contact Chad for all your new and vintage needs!

cheers
    27in?!? huh... find a cheap and nice 135/10 stem on ebay. atach a 23in 5 sweep bars. ride. try it.
    shorter bars will have you ridin and cornering from your hips, body english style and less from torquing your bars.
    WTB: Bomber Z2 1 1/8 steerer, in good to excellent shape OR bomber rebuild kit.

this account retired
    Quote Originally Posted by colker1
    27in?!? huh... find a cheap and nice 135/10 stem on ebay. atach a 23in 5 sweep bars. ride. try it.
    shorter bars will have you ridin and cornering from your hips, body english style and less from torquing your bars.
    for me, singlespeeding and/or technical riding on my AM bike, I can't go narrow. in fact, I have not had less than 28 inch/710mm bars in ages.

Members who have read this thread: 0