mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Restoration/Preservation! Mountain Goat and MT1800 bikes

at the State Surplus warehouse; I noticed several 80s-90s bicycles.....

now....

the one I am really interested in; a gray with gray rack (matched!?) Specialized Rockhopper; I want to say 90s? $45, Shimano parts(gone )
    next one, I believe to be a Trench Goat from Mountain Goat; 1988, Shimano Deore parts; very similar to THIS; chose to buy this MOMBAT: 1988 Mountain Goat Trench Goat but I don't recall if it had white splatter on one side like the pics show;
    I think they were asking $30 or something for it....
    the others; well.
    Chris King? head badge is that of a stick figure holding a bicycle above his head; still no idea?
    Omega De Luxe MT1800 Mountain Bike; black with orange decalsalso this
    TREK 820(beat up)
    Giant NUTRA (at least what I can see on the decals, some might be obscured due to State tags/barcode stickers)
    I saw a Gary Fisher 17" frame, but that frame is way too small...they also have a Cannondale diamond frame, with the weird angular downtube for $150....
    the others mentioned, between $25 and $55....
    I am leaning towards the Rockhopper due to its brand, but I am also thinking to grab the Mountain Goat because dude, that paint is funky

I did NOT buy them yet, because I want you guys' opinions on whether or not they are good buys, or whether I should save up and hope to hit a more collectible brand/model....I was hoping to find a Ritchey but there were none....of the 150 or so bicycles, the majority were soft tail Magnas or Murrays and Roadmasters, as well as BMX frames....

EDIT: Specialized gone; Trek 820 was way too beat up with damaged hubs and spokes; Giant didnt ride comfortably.....
    Last edited by CamoDeafie; 02-09-2013 at 06:39 AM.

mtbr member
    A Mountain Goat at that price is a screaming deal.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    OK so YES on Mountain Goat..... will be going there Monday, hopefully it'll still be there. the bikes are not on Ebay at all, unlike their heavy vehicles. anything else?

Stokeless Asshat
    I'm going to be the dick in the thread.

USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION DUDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There are dozens and dozens of threads on Mountain Goat bikes here. Research then ask.
    Zip ties? Not on my bike!

Want:
    650B rims or wheel set. 80's vintage 32 or 36 x 135mm

mtbr member
    Stick with the Specialized. Mountain Goat's are garbage. Just out of curiosity, where is this warehouse and what time Monday morning do they open?

Certified Bike Junkie
    Assuming you've already made sure they all fit you, the Specialized is clearly the one that gets you excited.
    Need: McMahon brake for roller cam mounts, Mountain Goat fork.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by sho220 View Post
    Stick with the Specialized. Mountain Goat's are garbage. Just out of curiosity, where is this warehouse and what time Monday morning do they open?
    all the threads I've looked up, are just saying awesome paint jobs, some valuable models, esp if older than the mid 90s, or show off the bikes; but not much on the desirability except from a couple people.....

maybe I oughta get BOTH and put the Mountain Goat on Ebay.... (yeah, no.)
    let me guess you're gonna go there and buy the Mountain Goat from under my feet?
    they are NOT open in the mornings, only 1pm-4pm M-F. its in Oregon
    Last edited by CamoDeafie; 02-02-2013 at 01:43 PM.

mtbr member
    Part of what makes a Mtn. Goat a cool bike were the unique over the top paint jobs. Probably why there is so much banter about them in their threads.The trench goat was a low end more affordable model. Go for the Specialized. Don't expect to make a killing selling bikes on ebay. Someone collecting a Mtn. Goat is more than likely looking for one with a unique paint scheme. That said, probably a fun rider.
    Seek: Koski Trailmaster. Breezer Series 2, or 3. Fillet brazed Ibis Custom. Cunningham Racer. Otis Guy (but not that softride model). That's all I need I don't need anything else... except... except for an old Mountain Goat bar stem combo. And that's all I need. I don't need anything else. Except.....

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    lol; alrighty, honestly, for $30 for the Mountain Goat....and $45 for the Specialized..... I see on MOMBAT that the Trench Goat was one of the affordable lower end models; and maybe one of the last years to have Shimano XT parts? the Specialized has the same sort of Shimano XT parts; and being a shade of gray, nothing fancy/flashy, I think it will definitely replace the Schwinn Frontier I have.

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008

Somebody help me decide! several brands/models.....

Quote Originally Posted by CamoDeafie View Post
    maybe I oughta get BOTH and put the Mountain Goat on Ebay....
    That's a shame. I thought this was a useful thread. I would hate to delete it.
    Wanted: WTB rollercams and brake bridges

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    to be fair; that was sorta tongue in cheek/sarcasm....if I get both, I will just get rid of the Schwinn and Roadmaster wal-mart specials and keep the Specialized and Mountain Goat if it cleans up better than it looks; nothing damaging to the paint, more of wax/buff/general cleaning and replacing cables if needed. at the very least, the two will be a considerable step up in quality/comfort compared to the other two complete bikes I have. this will also let me put more money/time towards the CyclePro Oswego frame build if I can get rid of the Wal Mart specials fast and still have the Specialized and Mountain Goat to use around town....at least, the Mountain Goat is definitely going to get some loving attention from me sure it isn't a Ritchey or MB zip or any one of the higher end frames, but it is funky and frankly, pretty awesome paint job

EDIT: ok so I will be posting in this thread when I acquire the two bikes and work on them if needed; pics will definitely be uploaded in this thread, both before and after

did Specialized offer color matched cargo racks to their models in the 90s? EXACT same color, and no sign of repaint, original decals I believe..though it is possible decals could be replaced....

VRC Illuminati
    Get the Goat.
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by CamoDeafie View Post
    to be fair; that was sorta tongue in cheek/sarcasm....

EDIT: ok so I will be posting in this thread when I acquire the two bikes and work on them if needed; pics will definitely be uploaded in this thread, both before and after

And to be fair to everybody else that had their thread deleted when they were sort of tongue in cheek offering to sell their bikes through pms and ebay and CL either now or in the immediate future, it gets deleted. That's just how the rules go. So, please please please, only post the bike that you are keeping and whatever else you do, that, of course, is up to you.

As for the bikes, they're cheap enough to buy to check out both but obviously, you like the Specialized better so if I could only get one, I would get the one that I like more and that I would ride more.

Super cool that you found them and good luck on the pick up! Congrats.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    so no one else cares about the other bikes I listed in the first post? I was kind of figuring that of the list, the Specialized and Mountain Goat both would be the top ones to get compared to the others; I'll be getting BOTH, and keeping both, one for normal everyday trails and commuting and camping, the other, just for the funky paint job it has

mtbr member
    At those prices, make an offer and buy them all.

You'll make a buck.

Tom

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by THE ARS View Post
    At those prices, make an offer and buy them all.

You'll make a buck.

Tom
    can't quite afford ALL of em....will be offering the State cashier $60 for both the Specialized and Mountain Goat; at the least, I will have a good location to go to for finding vintage, retro, classic MTBs or Bikes in general;

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    So. I got there 20 minutes late...... and unfortuantely, the Specialized is GONE
    at least I got the Mountain goat, and this...
    what i thought said KEX, was KFX decal on the Mountain Goat, and the MT1800 18 speed Mountain Bike with Shimano shifters nad derailleurs and cantis was made by Omega De Luxe (yes, the head badge decal says DE LUXE lol) its a beautifully lugged chrome moly frame...wow.....steel wheels though, seems it was made in Korea?
    pics of the Trench Goat; all are before pics before I start working on them...I am thinking to strip the Trench Goat down to its bare bones appearance, no rack and no fenders; and take all the extra stickers off and possibly the duct tape off; maybe not on the seat tube if that one is holding the shift cable's excess length, maybe take it to a shop to properly trim the cable;....one thing I did not know is that the canti brakes on the back were on the chain stays...WOW. very different!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    and pics of the Omega De Luxe MT1800 18 speed bike; the seat tube cluster is lugged; I don't think the front tube set is lugged? I'll have to look real close lol

I am thinking of taking the red decals off the black one, swapping the chrome handlebar for one of the no-name satin black bars I have, for a more.....stealthy look....would love to find a set of black wheels but seeing as these are steelies, I should be OK with spraybombing them lol

Sneaker man
    the rear brake is a U brake. Are you sure the rims are steel, no expert at all, but they look more aluminium, and araya made good stuff, but who knows. And that KED sticker doesn't look original.
    But as I said, no expert, I'm sure the knowledgeable people will be along any second

Oh I see there's 2 bikes...

I don't think that black thing is lugged, just a sleeve on the seat tube. And if its chromoly, I'll be surprised

But either way you've got a couple of bike to clean up and enjoy for not huge cash, good pickup
    Last edited by mik_git; 02-04-2013 at 04:52 PM. Reason: more
    2003 Yeti ARC
    2008 GT Zaskar Reissue
    1996 GT Xizang
    2012 Cervelo R3

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    yeah two bikes. the black one is mostly welded apparently, with an oversize lug cluster on the seat tube area; where the top and seat stays are welded onto it...while the bottom bracket/tube is lugged into that area...the rest are welded...its the same weight as my dad's Bridgestone, which was a CR-Moly frame....the wheels on the black one is 100% steel; while the Mountain Goat have Arayas, any way to tell which Arayas they are? 1.5X26 is the size stamped I think

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    Great pick up on that goat. I must have missed the reason why you have the other one?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    Great pick up on that goat. I must have missed the reason why you have the other one?
    something to use at my parents' while I have the Goat and while Im working on the Cycle Pro; seat on the Goat isn't original and comfortable, so it'll get swapped for something more appropriate to the vintage-ness of the Goat; and the Goat is going to stay with me as my personal fun thing not sure if it's a rider or wall decoration,......but it seems to be well taken care of, other than the decal things....so most likely it'll be ridden on some days, I honestly think it'll look much better with no fenders and rack. (fenders probably will be tossed, rack will get transferred to something else)

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Aaaand here are the after pics of the MT1800 for now; the Mountain Goat is going on the rack after I clean up the Araya RM20s that's currently on the Schwinn, since I swapped the wheels and put the SUMO wheels on the Bridgestone, which is now wheel less, due to me putting the SUMO wheels on the MT1800....also swapped the handlebar for the lighter aluminum flat black one, stuck a couple "horn" bar ends on it, yeah, I need to paint them....but for now, thats my..."theft deterrent" lol
    compared to the steel wheels it came with, the SUMO wheels looks much much better, and are much lighter; plus the Suntour spoke guard on the hub fits the chain ring guard much better than the yellowed/broken plastic spoke guard; next thing to do for it is possibly find a red bottle holder just to keep the red/black theme with little chrome details....it rides much more comfortably than the Schwinn Frontier...handles very well too....I think this shall be my Stealth Commuter until the CyclePro gets done

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    got the Mountain Goat all washed up, removed racks and fenders; replaced the CIMAG (sp?) steel rear wheel with a RM20 from my dad's Bridgestone (I have a possible line on another RM20 locally).... only thing left is to find a similar vintage seattube/seat instead of the roadie seat it has on.

one thing I have a question on...on the fork canti bosses; there are a couple stampings, F on one side, 95 on the other side, are these date codes or something else? couldn't find/see a frame number anywhere though... might've missed it....kept the Shark Fin on the chain stay, still got a roll of tape on the handlebar...