mtbr member

Some Infos about MachineTech & AC hubs please !!

Hi

Can you tell me you experience with this hubs ...one thing i know: both are verry loud
    But are they stiff ?
    Can somebody tell me whatever happened to this firms ... years of build? where were the hubs manufactured?
    If you have you can also send some pics of you AC od Machine Tech hub here ...

One little addition:
    I 'm searching nearly 2 years for a MachineTech and AC Apx or Chub rear hub in purple now ...
    maybe someone can help me with that ... i can offer some cool stuff for swap

Best regards

Bertram
    Last edited by Ingmar Nopens; 05-08-2007 at 11:02 PM.
    [searching for]
    - Voodoo bizango frame 96'-97' in 18,5" - 19"
    - purple Machine Tech or AC rear hub & Critical racing skewers
    - anything from Kooka in "night storm"-design (seat post!!)
    (http://gallery.mtbr.com/data/mtbr/50...m/100_4270.jpg)

If you have to ask...
    The Machine Tech hubs I had weren't very loud- in fact, they had a silent clutch mechanism.

I know that a lot of people had problems with the silent Machine Techs, so they went to a more traditional ratchet design. I never had the slightest difficulty with mine, though. I liked them a lot.

miles
    It's 7:09 California time

Not a smartass.
    Machine Tech started out with the Hollowcore front and Powerclaw rear hubs, which featured a silent roller clutch mechanism. Nearly every part of that hub was made in-house, to control the close tolerances required. These early ones are the ones with the reputation for wearing out and slipping. The second generation Powerclaws still had a roller clutch, but featured a few tweaks. These were bomproof hubs, but incredibly costly to make. They were basically doing charity work making those. To make a more profitable/affordable hub, they introduced the T30 hubset, which used a large splined axial ratchet setup that was a little heavier, but cost a fraction of what all those roller clutch components did. The T30 was loud as hell. Some time later, Machine Tech closed their doors, and Chris King produced their own version of the design. Same loud buzzing...

For a decent pair of MT hubs, budget $250. For a decent set in Purple, a hundred more.

I've got a pair of each. The Powerclaws are great, and once you get used to silent coasting, it's hard to go back to a ratchet hub. Then again, if you ride in urban areas, you realize quickly how useful the buzzing of your freehub is. Kinda nice when Pedestrians can hear you coming. And there you go.
    No snappy sig.

VRC Illuminati
    I've been happy with mine. They are loud...which I like in a hub.

-eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

mtbr member
    Hi

Nice pic eric ... and niiiiiiice hubs too

Here some xtra info i found on bikepro.com ... a realy interesting site:

The MTech ones:

http://www.bikepro.com/products/hubs/hubs_machine.shtml

The AC ones:

http://www.bikepro.com/products/hubs/hubs_ac.shtml

Wow .. realy beautifull

Once again ... if someone can offe one of this hubs in purple ... send me a PN!

Bertram
    Last edited by Ingmar Nopens; 05-08-2007 at 11:19 PM.
    [searching for]

Banzai

Not in purple but.....

Still sexy , eh?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Take No Mori Monster

My first MTB was pink- I lived in Great Falls Montana.. Yeah, that went over well way back when.

chk-chk-boom

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy
    I've been happy with mine. They are loud...which I like in a hub.
    When did you get those? We gotta go ride together in downtown Los Gatos on a Saturday with both T-30's screaming!
    I am a professional coffee processing unit.

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffss
    When did you get those? We gotta go ride together in downtown Los Gatos on a Saturday with both T-30's screaming!

A couple years ago.

Matching wheelset, freshly trued, hubs fully rebuilt, low mileage Mavic 217 CDs for $125. Can't loose there.

I've got a Ringle thats pretty loud and an older Hugi thats even louder. It's awesome.
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

mountaingoatcycles.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Ingmar Nopens

Once again ... if someone can offe one of this hubs in purple ... send me a PN!

Bertram
    I have a set of AC hubs in purple but they are laced to a set of rims. Wasn't specifically looking to get rid of them but maybe for something cool in trade? Give me a shout @ jeff at firstflightbikes.com

mtbr member
    Hi

Thanks for the many replys ... now i'm able to give a reply by my own ... i build up a set of AC chub rear and front hubs ... and they are realy nice ... but my girlfriend is a little bit irritated by the sound. And yes .. after finishing a 3h bicycle tour you are happy about not to hear the sound . The solution: Dont stop to pedal .
    The MachineTech hubset isn't complete cause i'm still searching for a purple rear one .. maybe someone can help me out with a hub ... (can offer nice stuff for swap).

But now some pics:

Bertram
    [searching for]

mtbr member
    How do you like these?

I had one of the silent clutch rear hubs first but it broke pretty fast. I really liked it as it was totally silent when freshly packed with grease. Coulnd't get a replacement one back then and never found one again since then

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Gt?

In the 95'ish didn't they make some GT branded hubs?

Witty McWitterson
    No, I think that was Hadley that made the GT hubs. I've got one on my wifes bike thats been kickin' it for years with no complaints.
    Just a regular guy.

artistic...
    A couple years ago.

Matching wheelset, freshly trued, hubs fully rebuilt, low mileage Mavic 217 CDs for $125. Can't loose there.

I've got a Ringle thats pretty loud and an older Hugi thats even louder. It's awesome.
    uh oh.. hugi compact? bring the noise. i love mine.
    want: Ibis ti handlebar. suntour 31.8 front derr. bottom pull

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    an older Hugi thats even louder. It's awesome.
    the 1st gen. hugi star ratchet is the loudest hub i've heard. i love it. mine is still going strong after years of abuse.

mtbr member
    I gotta say that the T30's are louder than any Hugis I have heard. These guys scream!

I bought my T30's in 1997. They probably have 25,000 miles on them and are still going stong. The rear hub has a little play in the bearings but still rolls smoothly; the front is like new. I just relaced the third set of rims on them....a big find of NOS Mavic 231 ceramic rims They don't see many miles these days as they are on my single speed which I don't ride much (I believe a 1989 Diamondback Apex with a home-brewed tensioner), but they were money well-spent.