mtbr member
    Apr 2008

SMORGASBORD 853 Country Style Buffet

Hello,

I had a couple of emails from other MTBR members asking me for an update on my Smorgasbord hardtail… well, it’s taken a lot longer than expected to track down the parts I wanted for this build and I’m almost there. So far, I’m really pleased with the build, I know it’s not exactly vintage, nor retro, but I definitely think the frame design is a classic (can’t forget the BREEZE dropouts). This Smor C.S.B. most reminds me of my brother’s WTB Phoenix, the tight triangles, knife-like maneuverability, and the giant seat post/frame geometry. It does have similarities with others from that era of steel frames like a FAT/I.F., to me those are classic steel frames. Maybe not early steel frames like the ’85 Ritchey Timber Comp I used to own but still classic in my eye. I believe Chris Daily (Smorgasbord builder out of Hershey, PA) was really putting out a great frame that’s every bit as good as any other steel frame here on this VRC forum.

I’ll finish up decision making on the tires and the other little details and then I’ll take some quality pictures in the sunlight so you can see the pretty green apple metal flake paintjob. Thanks for taking a look!

Here are the specs:

1997 Smorgasbord Country Style Buffet

FRAME - Reynolds 853 double butted
    FORK - White Brothers XC-4
    HEADSET - Chris King “Green Apple” (discontinued)
    REAR DERAILLEUR - Shimano Deore XTR
    FRONT DERAILLEUR - Shimano Deore XT
    HUBS - Shimano Deore XTR
    RIMS - Mavic XC717
    TIRES - WTB Stout 2.3 front/rear (still deciding)
    BRAKES - Shimano Deore XTR V-brakes
    BRAKE LEVERS - Avid Speed Dial Ultimate
    CRANK - Cook Brothers Racing 48/34/24
    PEDALS - Time ATAC
    SHIFTERS - SRAM X-Ray
    HANDLEBARS - Cook Brothers Racing
    FREEWHEEL - Shimano Deore XTR 12-32
    STEM - Thomson 130mm x 5 degree
    SEAT POST - Salsa “Shaft”
    SEAT - SDG S-2000 Ti Kevlar
    COLOR - Apple Green Metal Flake
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SMORGASBORD 853 Country Style Buffet-smorp1side.jpg  

SMORGASBORD 853 Country Style Buffet-smorp2front.jpg  

SMORGASBORD 853 Country Style Buffet-smorp3fdetail.jpg  

SMORGASBORD 853 Country Style Buffet-smorp4cook.jpg  

SMORGASBORD 853 Country Style Buffet-smorp5xtr.jpg  

Last edited by neo_pop_71; 11-26-2010 at 11:16 PM.

Relax. I'm a pro.
    Feb 2004
    This looks like it's going to be a fun bike to ride. I wouldn't stress to much about tires. Just get the best tires for your neck of the woods currently on the market and go riding.
    Instagram: @antoine1000
    http://tfwo.tumblr.com

mtbr member
    Very nice, dreamed of having one of those back in the day. Trying to track one down now is very difficult. My buddies girlfriend's sister had one and I missed out on getting it by a couple of months

I'd love to have one since I live in Lancaster Co. Pa
    Quote Originally Posted by Malibu412
    Cableb!tch: living, breathing proof you can be right and.still be a dick.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Hey Vlad,

Thanks, I think it's be a great bike! When I bought my Smor it was set up as a single speed with a Surly 29'er rigid fork. The geometry was all off. I assume the previous owner had it built as a 69'er but it must have been horrible because the seat post was cut really short and he was about 5'10" or so (I'm 6'1" and it's great). By putting the W.B. XC-4 fork with appz. 80mm of travel should really help to bring the front down and help the climbing.

Mr. Cable,

I know what you're going through, I hunted for my Smorgasbord for almost 10 years! To this day, mine is the only one that I've seen out here in SoCal. I know Chris was a regional building but he did get a glorious review in Mountain Bike Action back in 1999. I can send you a copy of the article if your want, Chris Daily sent me a copy of the Magazine (Chris is the KING!!!), just let me know. That article is how Chris and Smorgasbord became know to me. Richard Cunningham said riding a Country Style Buffet (steel hardtail) reminded him of the early days before Mantis. I road a Mantis for a couple years and I respected R.C.'s opinion, so that started me on my quest to own a Smorgasbord. I was friends with Tom Rightmyer (RIP), he taught R.C. all about frame building, especially steel, as Tom was an original member of the Orange County Wheelmen who built every type of bike imaginable (even the 1980 World Pedal Land Speed Record bike). Tom was always proud of R.C.'s achievements and he helped me in so many ways (our shops were a few doors down from one another) that I'm forever thankful for all his input and insight. His passing has inspired me to start building... I just got a set of Dedacciai steel race tubing, all the lugs, and fork crown with tubing and dropouts to make my first road/track frame. I'm in the process of building a framing jig right now and hope to start over the Christmas holiday.

Check out:

Smorgasbord owners out there?!?

You might try sending "Hot-Rod" (here on the VRC) a message... I recall when I was reading posts about Smorgasbords, he had one and suggested in his post that his would be wall art some day. Just the same way, "Eastcoaster" said he retired his after buying an EWR, I got an email from him this morning that he's almost done single speeding his Smor. No dice with Eastcoaster but hit up Hot-Rod, he may be willing to sell you his (if he still owns it). Good luck with your hunt, don't give up!