It's All About We!
    Dec 2005

Sizing an '86 Ritchey Timber Comp?

Hey Everyone,
    I have a disassembled, mid-80s 20" Ritchey Timber Comp. Before I put it back together, I'm curious to know if it's too small for me. How do you determine how these old mtbs should fit?

My usual ride is a 61cm/24" Rivendell Atlantis (my pbh is 90.5cm/35.6"), and I really think I could've gone to a 62, if they had made one.

Thanks for your help.
    Kevin

mtbr member
    Probably too small. They have short-ish TTs. I had a 20" Team Comp and found it too small at 6'1" -- I tend toward a 58cm road ride.
    Somec is like the digital Zunow
    And this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JD5h3y0a9AU

Certified Bike Junkie
    First off, is it 20" base on a measurement that you took, or base on the serial number? A 20" Ritchey would have a zero as the first number of the serial. Just an off the cuff, but if you're riding a 61/62 Riv, a 20 is likely going to be too small.
    Need: McMahon brake for roller cam mounts, Mountain Goat fork.

the new Gilbert Grape
    Quote Originally Posted by yo-Nate-y View Post
    Probably too small. They have short-ish TTs. I had a 20" Team Comp and found it too small at 6'1" -- I tend toward a 58cm road ride.
    Yep, I'm the same height as Nate (and think that he should sell him his Chance road bike) and agree that a 20" Ritchey (measured center to top) would be small for you. I fit on a 21" but prefer a 22" Ritchey frame of that era.

Frame sizes ranged from 17" (smallest frame) to 25" (very large). A 20" is a medium(ish) sized bike in that range.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

rismtb
    Dec 2012
    could you post a picture? always love to see another Ritchey even if it is just a frame thanks R

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by laffeaux View Post
    Yep, I'm the same height as Nate (and think that he should sell him his Chance road bike) and agree that a 20" Ritchey (measured center to top) would be small for you. I fit on a 21" but prefer a 22" Ritchey frame of that era.

Frame sizes ranged from 17" (smallest frame) to 25" (very large). A 20" is a medium(ish) sized bike in that range.
    Quote Originally Posted by yo-Nate-y View Post
    +1 My 21" Team Comp - similar PBH to you - was far too small. Back in the day I would have remedied that with a 150+ low-rise stem (in this case that would have meant a fork too) and miles of seatpost. You riding a Riv may make you less inclined to do that.

If I were buying an old Ritchey today, I'd be looking at 23"-25". Definitely 25" if it had the low-rise bullmoose bars. In short, I'd size it like a road bike.

mtbr member
    All of the above.
    Seek: Koski Trailmaster. Breezer Series 2, or 3. Fillet brazed Ibis Custom. Cunningham Racer. Otis Guy (but not that softride model). That's all I need I don't need anything else... except... except for an old Mountain Goat bar stem combo. And that's all I need. I don't need anything else. Except.....

It's All About We!
    Dec 2005
    Thanks a lot for your input everyone. Yeah, I measured the frame center to top. I'll post some photos this wkend, too. I suspected it might be too small. I'm 5'10", but with a 90cm PBH; I like relatively short top tubes. Well, I guess I won't be building it up to be my commuter. Maybe I'll hand it down to Jr.

Thanks again.
    Kevin

the new Gilbert Grape
    5'10" with a 90cm pbh??? Wow, you are all legs! With an upright stem a 20" frame might fit you - at least in the top tube. You'll be showing a lot of post.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

rismtb
    Dec 2012
    There are inherent problems with trying to making a small frame fit.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sizing an '86 Ritchey Timber Comp?-setup3.jpg  

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rismtb View Post
    There are inherent problems with trying to making a small frame fit.
    Sometimes it kinda works okayish....

Sizing an '86 Ritchey Timber Comp?-8168645789_b8de3223ff_b.jpg

mtbr member
    The Great Pumpkin!!!
    Somec is like the digital Zunow
    And this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JD5h3y0a9AU

mtbr member
    Drop the seatpost a foot and it would work for me. Spinner bike, MMMM
    Too many bikes, and just enough time to ride them.