Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

The single consolidated official drop bar thread

304K views 719 replies 171 participants last post by  CSIPSD 
#1 · (Edited)
Edited for clarity, I hope

There are some drop bar bikes that are set up really well and some that aren't. I'm hoping the ones that are set up really well predominate in this thread. I see some bikes posted in other forums that are really bad and it would be nice for folks to be able to find properly set up drop bar bikes in one place as a reference of sorts. VRCers seem to have the hang of setting up dirt drops. I know there are a few styles of offroad drop bars, and people have different preferences, but generally proper dirt drop bar setup fall in a pretty narrow range.

Enough people ask about this topic in this forum, and you see plenty of people using drops these days on new bikes, how about nice repository for properly set up bikes, vintage or otherwise, with drop bars. Let's include links to external resources like Shiggy's and Guitar Ted's, good photos of 'proper' setup, philosophy, anything that will help the newb when they decide to try drop bars offroad.

http://mtbtires.com/site2/features/37-bikes/85-why-i-ride-dropbars

http://g-tedproductions.blogspot.com/2008/10/drop-bar-for-mountain-biking-part-i.html

See less See more
#712 ·
Hey, not sure if you are still on here. I recently purchased the same 91 Stumpjumper Comp frame for a gravel bike build and was hoping to reach out to you to get some info from your build/experience. For now I am trying to track down one of the original 1" direct drive forks (mine had original suspension I think), and trying to figure out it 650s will work on that work. Do you still have your dropped stumpy? Any advice?

#121 ·
Wow, four great looking bikes. Lots of rollercams there Aemmer, I love it!

Looking through the pages, the LD stems make DD builds look 'right' every time. Other stems certainly get the job done, but to my noobish eye, none quite pull it off with the same grace.

#128 ·
That's got the reach/rise, but the dumb handlebar size. (At least it's bigger so it could be shimmed.)

Can it be run on a 1" steerer with a shim, or is the clamp too funky? I regularly run 1-1/8" stems on 1" steers with shims to adapt, but I'll only do so if the binder arrangement is a "normal" pinch that generates enough clamping force. There's a lot going on there with that Voodoo ... anyone run one on a 1" steerer?

#130 ·
Jak0zilla said:
Does anyone ave any tips to share about where to order good drop bar stems these days?

I know there are lots of places to get Nitto DirtDrop & Periscopa quill models. Ebay is a pain in the pants for good vintage ones. And most of the builders who've made the nicer work in this thread that are built in this decade are now too busy for stems without an accompanying frame order.

The "modern" stem offerings are upsetting. Time was when you could get a huge variety of reach and rise options at most bike shops. These days everything is 0deg or 5deg, and you're expected to run the thing up a flagpole made of spacers if you want your bars higher. (Or put one of those adjustable monstrosities on.) There are more off-roadable bars available than ever before, but without a fork with a 3 foot A-to-C pushing your front end up in the air there are no stems to run them. :(

So ... who's the "new old-Salsa" of stem building?
The only production stem <45deg is the Nakisi...

#131 ·
ong said:
These look worthwhile, if you can find one:

http://www.bti-usa.com/voodoo/bicycles/nakisistem

I've been using the Profile "Boa" stems on several of my bikes where I need to get the bars way up there. They're ugly, fairly heavy, and really inexpensive. Oh, well! Better than adjustables, anyway.
I just got one of the VooDoo stems recently from Bikeman. As the photo indicates it comes without the stem bolt or the pinch bolt. Kind of strange. It also took about a month to get to me. Fortunately I wasn't in a hurry.

Also Profile Design makes a quill style to clamp style stem adapter in both 1" to 1 1/8" and 1 1/8" straight. If you take the top cap and machine it down to 1 1/8th it works as a stub for the above stem. Or leave the cap on and use it to mount modern stems to 1" threaded steertubes.

#245 ·
I don't get the fuss about whether a certian bike is worthy or not worthy. He's got a mountain bike with drop bars in "The single consolidated official drop bar thread". He's out riding a bike that he built himself and he's having a good time. If he builds a bike to his liking because that is what he wants then that's great. I give him props. I'd run lime green tires in a heartbeat also.

Keeping on topic..Here is an updated picture of my bike. Since last time it was posted it has gotten new tires (I really miss the gum walls...) and tubes, a new saddle and pedals. Now the bike may seem silly to you, but I love this bike. I've got less than $50 bucks in the entire build and so far this year I've ridden it much more than my other bikes that have cost much more. :thumbsup:

I will get some better pictures, a cellphone pic on a sunny day is horrible

#246 ·
I don't get the fuss about whether a certian bike is worthy or not worthy. He's got a mountain bike with drop bars in "The single consolidated official drop bar thread". He's out riding a bike that he built himself and he's having a good time. If he builds a bike to his liking because that is what he wants then that's great. I give him props. I'd run lime green tires in a heartbeat also.
Most people are very simple minded. They want to be like everybody else and want everybody else to be like them. When someone steps across the line their mob mentality kicks in and they go into automatic rejection without really analyzing where their ill-founded thoughts come from.

#341 ·
This is my M900 drop-bar with the rare all aluminium fork. This 11/8 peperonies with alu stedertube was factory recalled - but I did not turn it in ;-)

Frame & fork have been rebuild with different parts several times and stolen twice. Currently build up for a +3000km bicycle tour next year.

Reactions: Dirty Tiger