Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 301 to 400 of 632
  1. #301
    CS2
    CS2 is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CS2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    2,783
    Not mine but I saw it for sale on ebay.

    A garage full of steel frames means happiness.

  2. #302
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tductape's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    2,387
    Seek: Koski Trailmaster. Breezer Series 2 or 3. Cunningham Racer.

  3. #303
    mtbr member
    Reputation: yo-Nate-y's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    2,732
    Gnurley!
    Somec is like the digital Zunow
    And this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JD5h3y0a9AU

  4. #304
    mtbr member
    Reputation: classen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    201
    Quote Originally Posted by surfoverhill View Post
    I wanted to get some feedback on the bar position before I send the stem design to Joel at Clockwork for my new 1" LD stem. This is my first drop bar bike. Here is what the bike looks like now with a mock up adjustable stem. I am planning on have it built about 3/4"-1" lower than it is shown here. It is as low as it will go but feels pretty good. I'm fat, old and broken so it will not be doing anything very technical. Fire roads and easy single track.

    The stem will end up 6.8" tall with a 2.9" reach.
    How is this dirt drop Merlin coming along? Did you receive your RLD stem yet? I'm considering a similar "Merlingham" with a stem from Clockwork, but I'm not exactly certain of proper stem dimensions.

  5. #305
    ong
    ong is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    439
    I've been riding dirt drops for the last few years on my commuter mountain bike, but I quickly found that I really liked interrupter levers. For quite some time I used cantilevers, but they drove me nuts (adjustability, braking power). When I switched to xt v-brakes I used travel agents, but those kind of drove me nuts as well (added a ton of cable friction, and always felt super spongy).

    The only reason I didn't switch to long pull drop levers was that I found myself on the interrupters 75% of the time. Finally, I found these guys:

    http://www.rivbike.com/product-p/bl41.htm

    They work amazingly well. I'd recommend them to anyone who is looking to use linear brakes on a drop bar bike.

  6. #306
    mtbr member
    Reputation: digilux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    178
    I have a second build for this summer in addition to the Cannondale project:





    Not sure if I am going to do a single speed drop bar build or with bar end shifters... hmm...
    No points to garage queens!

    "Mum it's not a bike - it's a Yeti" (my daughter explaining things)

  7. #307
    mtbr member
    Reputation: classen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    201
    Road bikes and road bike parts are a bit foreign to me, but I'm venturing into the off road dirtdrop area and was wondering what these little clamp thingees are. Circled in red here:



    Are they available other than with the original WTB shifter mounts?

    BTW pic is courtesy of BMC Mike

  8. #308
    mtbr member
    Reputation: digilux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    178
    To index set the position of the sifter mount upwards or downwards I'll guess.
    No points to garage queens!

    "Mum it's not a bike - it's a Yeti" (my daughter explaining things)

  9. #309
    mtbr member
    Reputation: classen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    201
    Quote Originally Posted by digilux View Post
    To index set the position of the sifter mount upwards or downwards I'll guess.
    Yes, I understand that it is a way to adjust the angle of the shifter mount with respect to the bars. What a meant was what are the clamps called? and are they used for other road bike applications? and what should I Google for to find them? Or are they a WTB-only item and I'm screwed and will have to make them from scratch?

    cheers

  10. #310
    mtbr member
    Reputation: digilux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    178
    It's an aftermarket item, suntour had an complete touring drop bar shifter system with a dual shifter hande so you could shif both on top position on the bars but also in the drop

    Cheers :-)
    No points to garage queens!

    "Mum it's not a bike - it's a Yeti" (my daughter explaining things)

  11. #311
    Certified Bike Junkie
    Reputation: muddybuddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,746
    That part is the base for early Suntour thumbies. It's the black part attached to that, that you're not going to be able to find.
    Need: McMahon brake for roller cam mounts, Mountain Goat fork.

  12. #312
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Shogun700's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    214
    Quote Originally Posted by classen View Post
    Yes, I understand that it is a way to adjust the angle of the shifter mount with respect to the bars. What a meant was what are the clamps called? and are they used for other road bike applications? and what should I Google for to find them? Or are they a WTB-only item and I'm screwed and will have to make them from scratch?

    cheers
    In addition to what Muddybuddy said, the Suntour XC/Power thumbie bases are just a bit too small to clamp on some road bars (at least on my RM-2's, maybe others are smaller diameter?), and without the WTB mount the shifters are not in an ideal location. I ended up drilling and tapping my levers and direct-mounted the shifters to them-it works but I have some ergonomic issues to sort out, in the middle gears the shift levers are an inch too close to the bars and interfere with your hands in the drops.


    As a side note, this project is now almost complete, just a couple details left and the aforementioned shifter placement. It's more fun to ride than I expected, and I was surprised how natural the bars felt on a tight wooded trail.

    WANTED: Fisher Paragon, blue/green, Ritchey dropouts.

  13. #313
    mtbr member
    Reputation: digilux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    178
    Quote Originally Posted by Shogun700 View Post
    In addition to what Muddybuddy said, the Suntour XC/Power thumbie bases are just a bit too small to clamp on some road bars (at least on my RM-2's, maybe others are smaller diameter?), and without the WTB mount the shifters are not in an ideal location. I ended up drilling and tapping my levers and direct-mounted the shifters to them-it works but I have some ergonomic issues to sort out, in the middle gears the shift levers are an inch too close to the bars and interfere with your hands in the drops.


    As a side note, this project is now almost complete, just a couple details left and the aforementioned shifter placement. It's more fun to ride than I expected, and I was surprised how natural the bars felt on a tight wooded trail.

    Nice project. Question how do you find the LePre derailleurs is to adjust and use. I have a couple of those but did not find them easy to adjust or to use. But progressive design and funny evolutionary dead end with regard to derailleur design.
    No points to garage queens!

    "Mum it's not a bike - it's a Yeti" (my daughter explaining things)

  14. #314
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Shogun700's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    214
    Quote Originally Posted by digilux View Post
    Nice project. Question how do you find the LePre derailleurs is to adjust and use. I have a couple of those but did not find them easy to adjust or to use. But progressive design and funny evolutionary dead end with regard to derailleur design.

    It's hard to tell just yet-I wasn't impressed on my ride yesterday, but I realized I didn't prewind the cage spring enough when I assembled it, so there was not adequate chain tension. The RD is an XC model, I added the tri-pulley cage from a NOS Suntour ARX unit, so the spring itself should be fine. I'd read that the 3-pulley was commonly sold as an aftermarket 'upgrade'....gotta love those dead end, questionable upgrade parts. I mounted it partially for the novelty, the bike is such an oddball I thought it deserved something similarly 'out there'.

    I'll report back after I set the tension properly give it another try. You said you've used these before, do you have any idea if the chain length is set by the standard method? I'd love to see the instructions for this pulley setup.
    WANTED: Fisher Paragon, blue/green, Ritchey dropouts.

  15. #315
    mtbr member
    Reputation: digilux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    178
    Quote Originally Posted by Shogun700 View Post
    It's hard to tell just yet-I wasn't impressed on my ride yesterday, but I realized I didn't prewind the cage spring enough when I assembled it, so there was not adequate chain tension. The RD is an XC model, I added the tri-pulley cage from a NOS Suntour ARX unit, so the spring itself should be fine. I'd read that the 3-pulley was commonly sold as an aftermarket 'upgrade'....gotta love those dead end, questionable upgrade parts. I mounted it partially for the novelty, the bike is such an oddball I thought it deserved something similarly 'out there'.

    I'll report back after I set the tension properly give it another try. You said you've used these before, do you have any idea if the chain length is set by the standard method? I'd love to see the instructions for this pulley setup.
    Hi regarding chain length I have read that the soul idea behind this dead end oddball was that you could have the same high range gearing but shorter chain than similar systems. Cant remember comparing chain lengths.

    Regarding the performance and adjustments I found the LePree dificoult to engange correctly and keep position on repeating shifting up and down (stress test shifting). I love the design due to the three pulleys and will at some later stage give them another try.

    Like to learn about your experience!
    No points to garage queens!

    "Mum it's not a bike - it's a Yeti" (my daughter explaining things)

  16. #316
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Shogun700's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    214
    Thanks for the info-interesting about a shorter chain, when I had it set up that way it would pull the forward pulley up off the chain when running middle front/large back cog and I wasn't sure if all 3 pulleys are supposed to be on the chain at all times. I will continue to experiment and let you know.
    WANTED: Fisher Paragon, blue/green, Ritchey dropouts.

  17. #317
    mtbr member
    Reputation: digilux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    178
    Quote Originally Posted by Shogun700 View Post
    Thanks for the info-interesting about a shorter chain, when I had it set up that way it would pull the forward pulley up off the chain when running middle front/large back cog and I wasn't sure if all 3 pulleys are supposed to be on the chain at all times. I will continue to experiment and let you know.

    Maby Jeff @ FirstFlight/MOMBAT have more spesific info and maby old documentation?
    No points to garage queens!

    "Mum it's not a bike - it's a Yeti" (my daughter explaining things)

  18. #318
    more beers, less gears
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    219
    maybe a tad short for digilux, but fits me well




  19. #319
    mtbr member
    Reputation: digilux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    178
    Quote Originally Posted by rigidftw View Post
    maybe a tad short for digilux, but fits me well



    Agh... thats What I call a sissy stem

    Very nice bike though is it a bit to small to you ref the tall seat post? Looks like you are a 34" inseam like me
    No points to garage queens!

    "Mum it's not a bike - it's a Yeti" (my daughter explaining things)

  20. #320
    more beers, less gears
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    219
    33" inseam it is. and the bike has just the right size for me.
    seat post isn't tall at all, it's the front that's stubby and low. but i like it. looks more aggressive, makes for quite quick steering and it feels awfully fast

  21. #321
    Hit The Road Cyclery
    Reputation: -Anomie-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    919
    Quote Originally Posted by muddybuddy View Post
    That part is the base for early Suntour thumbies. It's the black part attached to that, that you're not going to be able to find.
    Which is why I'm working on getting a bunch made . Steve Potts gave me his approval to copy the WTB design (since he had no intention of making more himself) so I'm working with a CNC shop to get the reproductions made. I don't know how much they are going to cost yet, but if anyone is interested in a set feel free to PM me so I can start a waiting list.

    (I'll be happy to buy a classified ad as soon as I have the price figured out.)

  22. #322
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rudymexico's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    252
    Quote Originally Posted by rigidftw View Post
    maybe a tad short for digilux, but fits me well
    Nice bike

  23. #323
    the new Gilbert Grape
    Reputation: laffeaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,844
    I've posted this bike in the past, but it's been a while. This past weekend I two long rides: Saturday we biked to a small town that's 47 miles (by dirt road and trail) from home and camped that night, Sunday we rode home. In total we covered just over 94 miles and and 13,200 feet of elevation gain in two days. The dirt drops and bike did great!

    <img src="http://www.eandsweb.com/bikes/pics/phoenix/20120616152512.jpg" width="768" height="1024">

    <img src="http://www.eandsweb.com/bikes/pics/phoenix/20120616152457.jpg" height="768" width="1024">
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

  24. #324
    gobsmacked Moderator
    Reputation: girlonbike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    8,713
    Very nice EL. Did the stem give you enough rise? I really like that build of yours. Did you have to haul a backpack too? Very studly!

    I love everybody's phoenixes. Such a workingman's bike.

  25. #325
    the new Gilbert Grape
    Reputation: laffeaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,844
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    Very nice EL. Did the stem give you enough rise? I really like that build of yours. Did you have to haul a backpack too? Very studly!

    I love everybody's phoenixes. Such a workingman's bike.
    Yep, the handlebars are plenty high, and plenty comfortable.

    The ride organizers have a trailer (pulled by a truck) that carries all of the camping gear to the campsite. There's also lunch provided along the way, two rest stops each day (although if you go off-route like we did you tend to miss the rest stops), and dinner and showers on Saturday night. All that I had to carry was water, camera, rain gear (which wasn't needed), and a little bit of extra food. A perfect way to spend the weekend.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

  26. #326
    Fan of 'Hams
    Reputation: halaburt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    227
    Quote Originally Posted by laffeaux View Post
    I've posted this bike in the past, but it's been a while.
    16.5" or 18" frame? It looks like a 16.5 (which would make in >='97 I think, but maybe re-sprayed with the earlier decals?

  27. #327
    mtbr member
    Reputation: yo-Nate-y's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    2,732
    Sounds awesome---have any pics of the ride?
    Somec is like the digital Zunow
    And this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JD5h3y0a9AU

  28. #328
    the new Gilbert Grape
    Reputation: laffeaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,844
    Quote Originally Posted by halaburt View Post
    16.5" or 18" frame? It looks like a 16.5 (which would make in >='97 I think, but maybe re-sprayed with the earlier decals?
    Yep, it's a 16.5" and one of the last Phoenix frames made. It had a crack at the bottom of the seat tube slot. Steve repaired the crack (which made a repaint necessary) and built the Type-II for me a few years back. When I had it painted I picked the earlier decals as I prefer them.

    Quote Originally Posted by yo-Nate-y View Post
    Sounds awesome---have any pics of the ride?
    I took several GoPro videos along the way, but I've not had a chance to do anything with them yet. I've taken still pictures in the past, but it's hard to capture the beauty of the mountains, trails, flowers, and bikes in a still shot.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

  29. #329
    artistic...
    Reputation: colker1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,122
    Quote Originally Posted by laffeaux View Post
    but it's hard to capture the beauty of the mountains, trails, flowers, and bikes in a still shot.
    You need me!
    WTB: Bomber Z2 1 1/8 steerer, in good to excellent shape OR bomber rebuild kit.

  30. #330
    the new Gilbert Grape
    Reputation: laffeaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,844
    Quote Originally Posted by laffeaux View Post
    Yep, the handlebars are plenty high, and plenty comfortable.
    Going back to the debate on how high drop bars should (or should not) be... Those of us with long arms and legs can run the bars below our saddle height and still have an upright ride. Here's me (looking goofy) at the start of the ride.

    <img src="http://www.eandsweb.com/bikes/pics/phoenix/tour_start.jpg" height="683" width="1024">
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

  31. #331
    gobsmacked Moderator
    Reputation: girlonbike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    8,713
    Quote Originally Posted by laffeaux View Post
    Going back to the debate on how high drop bars should (or should not) be... Those of us with long arms and legs can run the bars below our saddle height and still have an upright ride. Here's me (looking goofy) at the start of the ride.

    <img src="http://www.eandsweb.com/bikes/pics/phoenix/tour_start.jpg" height="683" width="1024">
    oh yeah. that looks perfect!

  32. #332
    velocipede technician
    Reputation: hollister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    8,857



    looking for 20-21" P team

  33. #333
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Howley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    633

    Long Hard Rides are Good



    15th Annual Boise to Idaho City MTB Tour
    Web site: www.mtbikeidaho.com

  34. #334
    Hit The Road Cyclery
    Reputation: -Anomie-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    919
    A little OT, but at least the name and a couple of the parts are vintage:




  35. #335
    Stokeless Asshat
    Reputation: jeff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,348
    BLING!!!
    How're are you liking the ride?
    Zip ties? Not on my bike!

    Want:
    650B rims or wheel set. 80's vintage 32 or 36 x 135mm

  36. #336
    CS2
    CS2 is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CS2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    2,783
    Quote Originally Posted by -Anomie- View Post
    A little OT, but at least the name and a couple of the parts are vintage:



    Nice bike vintage or not. I see you have the ebay stem. It's the nicest looking threadless riser stem out there. How did you mount the shifters?
    A garage full of steel frames means happiness.

  37. #337
    Hit The Road Cyclery
    Reputation: -Anomie-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    919
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff View Post
    BLING!!!
    How're are you liking the ride?
    I like it, this is the first 29er I've spent any time on so I'm still getting used to it, but so far, so good. These Breezer frames have a slightly steeper geometry than most, so they handle quicker and are more maneuverable a slow speeds in technical terrain, more like a Bontrager than a Ritchey (to use a vintage analogy).

    Quote Originally Posted by CS2 View Post
    Nice bike vintage or not. I see you have the ebay stem. It's the nicest looking threadless riser stem out there. How did you mount the shifters?
    I had to make my own clamps. The carbon ones that come with the shifters are bolted on, so I just carved some new ones with larger diameter holes out of a block of 6061. They aren't perfect, but they work and you can barely see them under the bar tape:

    Started with this:



    Finished with these:


  38. #338
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fillet-brazed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,696
    Quote Originally Posted by laffeaux View Post
    I've posted this bike in the past, but it's been a while. This past weekend I two long rides: Saturday we biked to a small town that's 47 miles (by dirt road and trail) from home and camped that night, Sunday we rode home. In total we covered just over 94 miles and and 13,200 feet of elevation gain in two days. The dirt drops and bike did great!
    Sounds like a cool ride, EL. Oh, and a nice looking bike!

  39. #339
    velocipede technician
    Reputation: hollister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    8,857






    looking for 20-21" P team

  40. #340
    CS2
    CS2 is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CS2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    2,783
    Quote Originally Posted by -Anomie- View Post
    I like it, this is the first 29er I've spent any time on so I'm still getting used to it, but so far, so good. These Breezer frames have a slightly steeper geometry than most, so they handle quicker and are more maneuverable a slow speeds in technical terrain, more like a Bontrager than a Ritchey (to use a vintage analogy).



    I had to make my own clamps. The carbon ones that come with the shifters are bolted on, so I just carved some new ones with larger diameter holes out of a block of 6061. They aren't perfect, but they work and you can barely see them under the bar tape:

    Started with this:



    Finished with these:

    WOW, you are my hero. You need to start a separate thread describing the whole process. That looks great.
    A garage full of steel frames means happiness.

  41. #341
    mtbr member
    Reputation: digilux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    178
    This is my M900 drop-bar with the rare all aluminium fork. This 11/8 peperonies with alu stedertube was factory recalled - but I did not turn it in ;-)



    Frame & fork have been rebuild with different parts several times and stolen twice. Currently build up for a +3000km bicycle tour next year.
    No points to garage queens!

    "Mum it's not a bike - it's a Yeti" (my daughter explaining things)

  42. #342
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    77
    I have a question about sizing.
    If you are looking for a MTB to convert to drop bars do you:

    Go with your standard size, Or do you go one size bigger or smaller.

  43. #343
    artistic...
    Reputation: colker1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,122
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Tiger View Post
    I have a question about sizing.
    If you are looking for a MTB to convert to drop bars do you:

    Go with your standard size, Or do you go one size bigger or smaller.
    you want your bar as high or higher than saddle. So, normal to bigger.

  44. #344
    The Brutally Handsome
    Reputation: Sizzler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,227
    I'm having trouble finding a 1 1/4 quill stem that would work well with dirt drops. Any suggestions appreciated!

  45. #345
    CS2
    CS2 is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CS2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    2,783
    Quote Originally Posted by Sizzler View Post
    I'm having trouble finding a 1 1/4 quill stem that would work well with dirt drops. Any suggestions appreciated!
    It might not be pretty but what about a threadless adaptor? Some are really tall. It's the only thing I can think of. Good luck
    A garage full of steel frames means happiness.

  46. #346
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    177
    Let's see if this works....

    Here is a quick iphone photo. I just threw on some Kendas for now...

    The single consolidated official drop bar thread-brodie.jpg

    (yes those are Epos speakers in the background)
    Last edited by Buddysnack; 01-31-2013 at 10:29 PM.

  47. #347
    Hit The Road Cyclery
    Reputation: -Anomie-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    919
    Quote Originally Posted by CS2 View Post
    WOW, you are my hero. You need to start a separate thread describing the whole process. That looks great.
    I apologize for taking so long to reply, I only check in here every few weeks and didn't see your comment until now. The process was pretty simple, just a few hours of filing and sanding, and lots of eyeballing it. Here's a brief "photo essay" to add to the shots above:







  48. #348
    Hit The Road Cyclery
    Reputation: -Anomie-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    919
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddysnack View Post
    Let's see if this works....

    Here is a quick iphone photo. I just threw on some Kendas for now...

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Brodie.jpg 
Views:	460 
Size:	141.2 KB 
ID:	767132

    (yes those are Epos speakers in the background)
    Nice, like that fork too. To get the photo to show up in the post, replace url and /url with "" (no quotes).

  49. #349
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    177
    Quote Originally Posted by -Anomie- View Post
    Nice, like that fork too. To get the photo to show up in the post, replace url and /url with "" (no quotes).
    I guess I am not the first one to struggle with this. I am not getting any url text in my photo. From the album page there are 2 links:
    -picture URL
    -bb code

    Do I use either of those?

    Tomorrow...

  50. #350
    Hit The Road Cyclery
    Reputation: -Anomie-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    919
    No, ignore those, just copy the URL of the photo, paste it into your message, and put "" after the URL (like I said above, no quotes).

  51. #351
    Stokeless Asshat
    Reputation: jeff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,348
    Not a bad entrance Buddy.
    Zip ties? Not on my bike!

    Want:
    650B rims or wheel set. 80's vintage 32 or 36 x 135mm

  52. #352
    mtbr member
    Reputation: yo-Nate-y's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    2,732
    He's not your buddy, guy!

    (sorry, Canadian joke) NICE BRODIE! More pics please.
    Somec is like the digital Zunow
    And this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JD5h3y0a9AU

  53. #353
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,683







  54. #354
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    177
    OK, so I did a quick photo shoot today, although I plan to clean it up, put on a new chain/tires and do a proper photo session.
    The single consolidated official drop bar thread-brodie-first-photoshoot-1.jpgThe single consolidated official drop bar thread-brodie-first-photoshoot-2.jpgThe single consolidated official drop bar thread-brodie-first-photoshoot-3.jpg

  55. #355
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    177
    The single consolidated official drop bar thread-brodie-first-photoshoot-4.jpgThe single consolidated official drop bar thread-brodie-first-photoshoot-5.jpgThe single consolidated official drop bar thread-brodie-first-photoshoot-6.jpgThe single consolidated official drop bar thread-brodie-first-photoshoot-7.jpgThe single consolidated official drop bar thread-brodie-first-photoshoot-8.jpgThe single consolidated official drop bar thread-brodie-first-photoshoot-9.jpg

  56. #356
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    177
    The single consolidated official drop bar thread-brodie-first-photoshoot-10.jpgThe single consolidated official drop bar thread-brodie-first-photoshoot-11.jpgThe single consolidated official drop bar thread-brodie-first-photoshoot-12.jpgThe single consolidated official drop bar thread-brodie-first-photoshoot-13.jpgThe single consolidated official drop bar thread-brodie-first-photoshoot-14.jpg

  57. #357
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    177
    The single consolidated official drop bar thread-brodie-first-photoshoot-15.jpgThe single consolidated official drop bar thread-brodie-first-photoshoot-16.jpgThe single consolidated official drop bar thread-brodie-first-photoshoot-17.jpgThe single consolidated official drop bar thread-brodie-first-photoshoot-18.jpgThe single consolidated official drop bar thread-brodie-first-photoshoot-19.jpg

  58. #358
    gobsmacked Moderator
    Reputation: girlonbike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    8,713
    very nice pictures, Colin and a very very very beautiful bike. That's a lot of Neopolitan pizza there. Who did you say made the forks?

  59. #359
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    177
    Quick specs:
    -1988 Brodie Romax #384 (filet brazed by Paul Brodie himself). It was originally owned by Barry from Spinning Wheels. It was originally Red and Yellow (I will post a pic eventually)
    -Repainted by Tony Beek in Toronto around 1992 (full toptube length fade). Unfortunately I couldn't get original decals.
    -Ripe Pipe Filet Brazed forks and Stem. I took the bike touring so I had the braze-ons added for racks. Ripe Pipe was run by Ross Storoniak and Krys Hines. Ross was an amazing craftsman and totally self taught. Krys now owns Cafe Domestique in Dundas Ontario.
    -WTB drops, shifter mounts, brakes, hubs and headset.
    -Brodie Brake Boosters
    -Mavic MA40 rims with 14/15 butted spokes & alloy nipples.
    -American Classic water bottle cages and quick releases.
    -XT 6 speed shifters
    -XCD 6000 front derailleur
    -XT m735 rear derailleur with blue pulleys with bearings (not sure what kind)
    -Specialized 175 Cranks, with a 24 tooth Onza Stainless Steel small ring
    -Specialized Ti Bottom Bracket
    -Shimano 600 6speed cassette (14-32)
    -Shimano Grand Royal Compe brake leavers
    -Flite Saddle
    -Syncros seatpost

    I was smart enough to lend this bike to my dad, who recently got back surgery, so I got it back. Some scratches on the paint and the rear hub is loose, but overall it's in really good shape.

  60. #360
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    177
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    very nice pictures, Colin and a very very very beautiful bike. That's a lot of Neopolitan pizza there. Who did you say made the forks?
    As I mentioned in my last post, the forks and stem were made by Ripe Pipe, which was a small company from Toronto Canada. They built about 25 bikes in total, each was given a name and not a number. Ross still has some of the nicest filet brazed road bikes around that he built over 20 years ago. He gave them to Tony at Beeks and said do whatever you want. The best paint jobs I have ever seen.

  61. #361
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    177
    Hey Yo-Nate,

    I used to have a Zunow as well with a Ripe Pipe stem:

    The single consolidated official drop bar thread-zunow.jpg

  62. #362
    gobsmacked Moderator
    Reputation: girlonbike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    8,713
    Your Brodie is drop dead gorgeous and my favorite Brodie so far.

  63. #363
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    177
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    Your Brodie is drop dead gorgeous and my favorite Brodie so far.
    Thanks girlonbike! It was a labour of love 20 years ago that I just rediscovered. Looking forward to taking it for a ride.

  64. #364
    mtbr member
    Reputation: yo-Nate-y's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    2,732
    That Zunow is fantastic. I'm always on the lookout for one in my size.

    ...to say nothing of your Brodie. Holy moly. Nice build. Super nice build. That bike is a beaut!
    Somec is like the digital Zunow
    And this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JD5h3y0a9AU

  65. #365
    VRC Illuminati
    Reputation: Rumpfy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    17,598
    That thing is fully rad.
    -eric-

    http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

  66. #366
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Stemag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    51
    Sorry for poluting the thread with a N0ob question.

    Can someone explain to me why there always seems to be bar end shifters on dirt drop bars?

    I am planning on putting a On-one midge on my cx, and I have STI-shifters.
    I´ve read somewhere that it is not working so good because the shifter are “leaning outwards”?
    Last edited by Stemag; 05-30-2013 at 04:52 AM.

  67. #367
    the new Gilbert Grape
    Reputation: laffeaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,844
    Quote Originally Posted by Stemag View Post
    Can someone explain to me why there always seems to be bar end shifters on dirt drop bars?

    I am planning on putting a On-one midge on my cx, and I have STI-shifters.
    I´ve read somewhere that it is not working so good because the shifter are “leaning outwards”?
    When dirt drops first became popular there were no STI shifters. So originally that's why barcons where used. Today barcons are still popular because (a) they're cheaper than STI levers, (b) if you crash your bike they are less likely to be damaged, and (c) they work well.

    I briefly ran STI levers on a dirt drop setup and it worked fine. The angled levers felt fine to me as well (a bit "different" on the first ride or two, but easy to adjust to). On dirt drops I rarely ride on the hoods, so their shape is much less significant than on a road bike.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

  68. #368
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tductape's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    2,387
    Not always.



    Mountain bikes don't have down tube shifters. Outside if that, lots of options. Try your STI.
    Seek: Koski Trailmaster. Breezer Series 2 or 3. Cunningham Racer.

  69. #369
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    3

    Idea!

    Ignore this comment.
    Last edited by DanielLondon; 05-30-2013 at 10:34 AM. Reason: Posted new thread

  70. #370
    Certified Bike Junkie
    Reputation: muddybuddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,746
    Prior to the introduction of specific off-road drop bars, what bars were they using? I think I remember reading somewhere that Cinelli 65s were a popular choice, but were they modified at all for off-road use?
    Need: McMahon brake for roller cam mounts, Mountain Goat fork.

  71. #371
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DoubleCentury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,905
    Yes, flared.

    The single consolidated official drop bar thread-win0385p96.jpg

  72. #372
    m o t o !
    Reputation: rasumichin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    70
    Drop bars especially fit single speed builds. It's just great to push them uphills in the drops. Feels like a wheel barrow.


  73. #373
    mtbr member
    Reputation: yo-Nate-y's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    2,732
    Is your front qr open?
    Somec is like the digital Zunow
    And this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JD5h3y0a9AU

  74. #374
    velocipede technician
    Reputation: hollister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    8,857
    AC skewer and a shrouded dropout, gotta run it forward or reversed
    looking for 20-21" P team

  75. #375
    m o t o !
    Reputation: rasumichin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    70
    ^
    what he says




  76. #376
    Hit The Road Cyclery
    Reputation: -Anomie-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    919
    Quote Originally Posted by Stemag View Post
    Sorry for poluting the thread with a N0ob question.

    Can someone explain to me why there always seems to be bar end shifters on dirt drop bars?

    I am planning on putting a On-one midge on my cx, and I have STI-shifters.
    I´ve read somewhere that it is not working so good because the shifter are “leaning outwards”?
    Here's what I did on my modern bike with drop bars. I had to make the bar clamps myself (drop bars having a larger diameter than flat bars) but other than that it was fairly easy to set up.




  77. #377
    mtbr member
    Reputation: yo-Nate-y's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    2,732
    Wow--that is a serious shroud!
    Somec is like the digital Zunow
    And this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JD5h3y0a9AU

  78. #378
    gobsmacked Moderator
    Reputation: girlonbike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    8,713
    +10 points for the use of the word, "shroud," in the VRC forum or anywhere on mtbr for that matter.

  79. #379
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,307

    The single consolidated official drop bar thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Stemag View Post
    Sorry for poluting the thread with a N0ob question.

    Can someone explain to me why there always seems to be bar end shifters on dirt drop bars?

    I am planning on putting a On-one midge on my cx, and I have STI-shifters.
    I&#180;ve read somewhere that it is not working so good because the shifter are “leaning outwards”?
    First, this is the vintage bike board. Barend shifters have been around for many, many years. Road STI, not so much.

    Second, I use STI levers on Midge bars. I think they work BETTER on flared bars. Easier to reach and move the levers.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  80. #380
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,307

    The single consolidated official drop bar thread

    Quote Originally Posted by muddybuddy View Post
    Prior to the introduction of specific off-road drop bars, what bars were they using? I think I remember reading somewhere that Cinelli 65s were a popular choice, but were they modified at all for off-road use?
    I started with Cinelli Crit bars, self flared.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  81. #381
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,307

    The single consolidated official drop bar thread

    Quote Originally Posted by laffeaux View Post
    When dirt drops first became popular there were no STI shifters. So originally that's why barcons where used. Today barcons are still popular because (a) they're cheaper than STI levers, (b) if you crash your bike they are less likely to be damaged, and (c) they work well.

    I briefly ran STI levers on a dirt drop setup and it worked fine. The angled levers felt fine to me as well (a bit "different" on the first ride or two, but easy to adjust to). On dirt drops I rarely ride on the hoods, so their shape is much less significant than on a road bike.
    I have broken more barend shifters (2-3, snapped lever) than STI shifters (none from crash damage, 2 wore out).
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  82. #382
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Funrover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    3,766
    Man this thread really gets me thinking!

  83. #383
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Stemag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    Second, I use STI levers on Midge bars. I think they work BETTER on flared bars. Easier to reach and move the levers.
    Thank you.

    I have tried it now, and it works just fine. Very nice feeling, much better Control on singeltrack.

    My only problem now is (ike for everybody else Dirt drop newbis) my bar is to low.

    I put the bar on my cross, and of course that frame is to low in the front.

    So my options is: a new stem or a frame suited for dirt drop (like a Singular Gryphon maybe) ;-)

    I wonder what my wife thinks is the most budget way to go? ;-)

  84. #384
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    57
    My Version
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The single consolidated official drop bar thread-image.jpg  


  85. #385
    mtbr member
    Reputation: chefmiguel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,510
    Nice!

  86. #386
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    10

    Here's my finished project

    Panasonic + Nitto DirtDrop Stem + RM-014 bar
    The single consolidated official drop bar thread-img-20130705-00529edited.jpg

  87. #387
    Spin it again
    Reputation: nightshade_rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    219
    Quote Originally Posted by nowhere-man View Post
    Panasonic + Nitto DirtDrop Stem + RM-014 bar
    The RM-14s are really a sweet bar for dirt drop setup. I started riding them last year on my cross bike and liked them so much I replaced the WTB drops on my Salsa MTB with another pair of RM-14s. A bit less radical spread and flare than the WTBs with somewhat more usable area on the tops and ramps. Nitto is selling this bar again as RM-014s but sadly only comes in 31.8 clamp size.

    <a href="http://s339.photobucket.com/user/backer22/media/Misc/150_0839_zps5a2adb89.jpg.html" target="_blank"><img src="http://i339.photobucket.com/albums/n472/backer22/Misc/150_0839_zps5a2adb89.jpg" border="0" alt=" photo 150_0839_zps5a2adb89.jpg"/></a>

  88. #388
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by nightshade_rider View Post
    The RM-14s are really a sweet bar for dirt drop setup. I started riding them last year on my cross bike and liked them so much I replaced the WTB drops on my Salsa MTB with another pair of RM-14s. A bit less radical spread and flare than the WTBs with somewhat more usable area on the tops and ramps. Nitto is selling this bar again as RM-014s but sadly only comes in 31.8 clamp size.

    <a href="http://s339.photobucket.com/user/backer22/media/Misc/150_0839_zps5a2adb89.jpg.html" target="_blank"><img src="http://i339.photobucket.com/albums/n472/backer22/Misc/150_0839_zps5a2adb89.jpg" border="0" alt=" photo 150_0839_zps5a2adb89.jpg"/></a>
    Now, can you send your unused WTB bar to me please?

  89. #389
    Spin it again
    Reputation: nightshade_rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    219
    Quote Originally Posted by nowhere-man View Post
    Now, can you send your unused WTB bar to me please?
    Sure, the one from the Salsa had been cut down about 3/4" for barcons, but I have another uncut one available, 25.4 clamp diameter methinks. I can check when I get home from work.

  90. #390
    CS2
    CS2 is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CS2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    2,783
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    I use STI levers on Midge bars. I think they work BETTER on flared bars. Easier to reach and move the levers.
    A question for the expert. I'm thinking about using a set of Campy Ergo shifters on either a Midge or Salsa Woodchipper. Are the thumb shifter hard to access on them? I can see how Shimano or SRAM would work well. Thanks
    A garage full of steel frames means happiness.

  91. #391
    Stokeless Asshat
    Reputation: jeff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,348
    I ran the same set up for a bit using Wood Chippers and Ergo 8speed. Seeing that your hand position relative to the levers is not much different when in the hooks it felt the same to me. One negative I found was if my hands were weighted heavily it tended to want pull my thumb away from the shifter some. It just takes a bit more effort. On the hoods it's a different story entirely. Unless you have freak thumbs it's tough to reach the trigger.
    Quote Originally Posted by CS2 View Post
    A question for the expert. I'm thinking about using a set of Campy Ergo shifters on either a Midge or Salsa Woodchipper. Are the thumb shifter hard to access on them? I can see how Shimano or SRAM would work well. Thanks
    Zip ties? Not on my bike!

    Want:
    650B rims or wheel set. 80's vintage 32 or 36 x 135mm

  92. #392
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    2
    Here is my drop bar two speed Ibis 28er.



  93. #393
    ravingbikefiend
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,322

    Moulden Custom


    Da Pug
    I ride with 65'er...he's a mountain goat....But then again, we need to throw him in the mud and pack his pockets with lead shot before a scale will read him. - Psycho Mike

    -Environmental stickers don't mean shite when they are stuck to CARS!-

  94. #394
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    258
    I want to add Habanero Cycles' Stem Fit Chart to this thread to archive it. It's interesting and someone may find it useful.
    stemfit.jpg
    http://www.habcycles.com/stemfit.jpg

  95. #395
    -bustin punks
    Reputation: fatchanceti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    589
    Quote Originally Posted by -Anomie- View Post
    Which is why I'm working on getting a bunch made . Steve Potts gave me his approval to copy the WTB design (since he had no intention of making more himself) so I'm working with a CNC shop to get the reproductions made. I don't know how much they are going to cost yet, but if anyone is interested in a set feel free to PM me so I can start a waiting list.

    (I'll be happy to buy a classified ad as soon as I have the price figured out.)
    Any updates/progress on this? Very cool.

  96. #396
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,307

    The single consolidated official drop bar thread

    Quote Originally Posted by CS2 View Post
    A question for the expert. I'm thinking about using a set of Campy Ergo shifters on either a Midge or Salsa Woodchipper. Are the thumb shifter hard to access on them? I can see how Shimano or SRAM would work well. Thanks
    I have Sora levers (with thumb release levers) on one bike with Midge bars. Works no differently than on a road bar.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  97. #397
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Shogun700's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    214
    Sixty-Fiver, nice Tri-Pulley Suntour XC RD on that Pug! I had one on my Marinoni, it worked better than I thought it would.

    Here is my winter ride, a 1988 Cannondale M700. I'm not quite final on the setup and build yet, but it's close. The combination of the high BB/steep head tube of the Cannondale BoE style frame with the drops is excellent, you can stay over the center of the bike in slippery conditions and just apply a little pressure right or left on the drops to steer. The change from flat bars on this frame was enormous, the steering was really quick before, this slows it just enough and it's now incredibly intuitive. I'm using old 7 speed RSX shifter/levers, they work well but need a rebuild to perform properly in the cold. Other than the bar setup the bike is mostly original. Even with flat bars, it's the best-fitting frame I've ridden, and has taught me a lot about how to set up my other bikes.









    WANTED: Fisher Paragon, blue/green, Ritchey dropouts.

  98. #398
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Steel29er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    595

    Stumpy

    My winter / rainy day rider.

    anything Steel

  99. #399
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    84
    Hi, here is my Salsa 1989
    The stem and hte fork are repaint


    Philippe

  100. #400
    Old School
    Reputation: Joe Steel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,039
    So nice!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast