Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    The Brutally Handsome
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    If you ran more housing, they don't get in the way. Glad you liked it.
    Good point, I really thought I would hate it so I just used the housing from my flat bars rather than cut new ones. It was a real stretch, haha!

artistic...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sizzler View Post
    I decided to throw some dirt drops on my Bontrager and it really sucked! The problem was I had convinced myself I would hate them, so when I ended up loving them I got all mixed up inside. It climbs like a spider monkey, cruises like a crown victoria and descends like a flying squirrel. Now, I'm left to pick up the pieces and decide how to rebuild the bike around them! The only issues I had were the vintage gran-compe levers, which look great but the cables were in the way and I need more meat to grab onto, so I think I'll use some modern Cane Creek's like rigidftw. Also, that heinous rastafied cinelli world champion tape needs to go!
    it gets better when you lower those brake levers by an in..
    WTB: Bomber Z2 1 1/8 steerer, in good to excellent shape OR bomber rebuild kit.

The Brutally Handsome
    Cool, I'll keep that in mind when I re-wrap them!

Also, how is a drop bar thread missing this picture?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The single consolidated official drop bar thread-jt-dd.jpg  

mtbr member

New to drops

I have a question about compatibility of levers and shifters, new to the drops so as you can see I have no idea. I picked up some NOS Dia Comp levers

and Suntour shifters

that I think will work for this application but I'm turning to the ones who know for sure....will they? Oh, and for shawnw, I have your brake pads, you are going to like them.

Too many bikes, and just enough time to ride them.

Fan of 'Hams
    Quote Originally Posted by proto2000 View Post
    I have a question about compatibility of levers and shifters, new to the drops so as you can see I have no idea. I picked up some NOS Dia Comp levers

and Suntour shifters

that I think will work for this application but I'm turning to the ones who know for sure....will they? Oh, and for shawnw, I have your brake pads, you are going to like them.
    Those levers are, I think, for V-brakes (hence the "V" in the model number). If that's what you're going to run on your drop bar bike, then great. If you're running canti's or some rollercam variant then nope.

Haven't seen a lot of people run those Suntour Command shifters on a flared drop setup, but there's a whole lot of personal preference that goes into shifter selection and placement on these. I'd suggest some riding, fiddling and experimentation before you do a "final" bar wrap.

I hope shawnw has a lot of thick-walled rims to go with those brake pads. ;p

mtbr member
    Installed some dirt drops on my old Schwinn tonight using a VooDoo stem. Made it into a gravel bike for winter rides. I'll have to try it out tomorrow.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The single consolidated official drop bar thread-rsz_dsc02565.jpg  

The single consolidated official drop bar thread-rsz_dsc02566.jpg  

No it never stops hurting, but if you keep at it you can go faster.

Mtn Biker Machinist
    If you decide those shifters aren't for you, just send them my way!

frog

Mtn Biker Machinist

Wow!

That is one eclectic setup! Looks like a bike shiggy would own! Curious about the Voodoo stem, I keep wanting to order one, but they sure ain't cheap! How much exposed steerer do you need for installation?

frog

gobsmacked Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by iamkeith View Post
    you can tell how the VRC crowd feels about those, based on the discussion of my bike...
    you mean the one pro canti comment?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by proto2000 View Post
    I have a question about compatibility of levers and shifters, new to the drops so as you can see I have no idea. I picked up some NOS Dia Comp levers and Suntour shifters that I think will work for this application but I'm turning to the ones who know for sure....will they?
    Those levers and shifters will work just fine together. That's the exact combination I used on my MB-1, shown just a few posts back in this very thread, and I couldn't be happier with them.

Those shifters have a lot of position adjustment options, so it'll take some time to get them "just right." I've never spent so much time fine tuning mounting positions, cants, and bar angles as I did with this setup, but it works great in the end. You'll swear that the shifter thumb levers are rotated 180 degrees off from where they should be when you're putting them together, but they're very easy to operate when riding, even in the intended position.

BTW: When installing the bar tape, I was able to loop around the shifter pedestal, reverse directions twice, and then then continue back along the original route, which gave me pretty thorough coverage. Hard to explain, but you can kind of see it in my photos.

@halaburt is correct that you'll need V-brakes though. That's a whole other discussion, and you can tell how the VRC crowd feels about those, based on the discussion of my bike...
    We still hang bike thieves in Wyoming [Pedal House]

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    you mean the one pro canti comment?
    Well... one respected comment, I guess. But a general sense gleened from other threads as well. Didn't I once even see you yourself say that you thought pre-V brakes was sort of a natural cutoff for the identification of vintage versus non-vintage bikes?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1 cog frog View Post
    That is one eclectic setup! Looks like a bike shiggy would own! Curious about the Voodoo stem, I keep wanting to order one, but they sure ain't cheap! How much exposed steerer do you need for installation?

frog
    It's one of those run what you brung kind of builds and will certainly offend some It's not going to be a frequent ride and I wanted to use stuff I had on hand for the most part. I bought the stem and bars a while ago just to have another dirt drop set up and this seemed like a good place to hang them. The only thing I had to buy was the Shimano rear derailleur to work with the Suntour barcons since I usually run Sram.

I don't remember the stem being very expensive. Like $75. I don't think that is a lot for a stem anyhow. There is a T slot cut into it and if you want to clear the T you need about 1 5/8" to a max of 1 3/4" steertube sticking out. If you're not concerned with covering the top of the T you could probably get away with less. It's built pretty stout.
    No it never stops hurting, but if you keep at it you can go faster.

gobsmacked Moderator
    Well... one respected comment, I guess. But a general sense gleened from other threads as well. Didn't I once even see you yourself say that you thought pre-V brakes was sort of a natural cutoff for the identification of vintage versus non-vintage bikes?
    You're absolutely right. That is my own personal cutoff for my own bikes but when people posts bikes, I generally try not to be hypercritical unless it's a veiled for sale outing or something is very very wrong with the bike. V brakes doesn't fall into the very very wrong category in my opinion.

mtbr member
    Good stuff..really enjoying the drop bars on the fixed gear mtb

mtbr member
    Is it not awkward riding drops on a mountain bike?

Anyone ever put bullhorns on a mountain bike?

mtbr member
    Somec is like the digital Zunow
    And this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JD5h3y0a9AU

mtbr member
    I'd like a 'cool' stem for my DD build, but these prices are stunning!

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

Nice Salsa stem and all, but I'd be hard pressed to shell out $172 for one-hope it fits the buyer's build perfectly! I guess I should feel fortunate, that stem is wrong for my build anyway.

This is my latest project-can you say wheelbase? I knew you could! Odd geometry, but I love it and am looking forward to seeing how it rides. I didn't notice the sloping top tube until I saw this pic-I had to go measure just to be sure, and it does drop a bit, strange for a bike from this era-as far as I can tell it's an '85. I've never seen another, and would love to know the original spec. All it came with was one trashed Mavic crank arm and a set of first generation Suntour roller cams.

It's my 'winter' build, inspired by a set of tires-I'll explain when it comes together.

I'm in the early stages, had to mod an old Kalloy stem (wouldn't go past the bends on the bars, and the clamp was too small) to attach the bars and work on the fit, and I'm currently building some adapters so that my shifters will be directly bolted to my brake levers. I think the frameset is from '85 or so, and I'm trying to stay away from Shimano parts if possible, so far, so good, mostly Suntour XC stuff, AT crankset, and a tri-pulley ARX rear derailleur.

I've been telling myself this is my last build.....
    WANTED: Fisher Paragon, blue/green, Ritchey dropouts.

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shogun700 View Post
    It's my 'winter' build, inspired by a set of tires-I'll explain when it comes together.

Make sure to post finished pics. I love the paint. Good luck
    A garage full of steel frames means happiness.

CS2
    mtbr member
    Found this for sale on ebay, where else, in India.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    How cool!

mtbr member

Closer, but not quite there yet....

As I mentioned before, the whole build was inspired by a set of tires-NOS Tioga Farmer Johns that I found all studded up and not exactly practical, but I thought with the Marinoni being Canadian, a winter build might be the way to go with it even though the tires are just for pictures. I'm happy with most of it so far, I suppose I'd prefer black hoods for the levers, gotta put the XC-II's back on, and the rear shifting is pretty stiff-I will need to address that. The shifter setup has taken some time to sort out-I drilled the lever bodies in several spots to test mounting positions and had to find a way to secure them to the levers, but so far so good.

The stem is still an issue, so no tape yet. I need 100-110mm quil extension, but with a 26.0 clamp. Ben's has Nitto DD stems with a long enough quil, but only in 25.4 clamp diameter, and the stems with a 26.0 clamp are only 90mm extension. Is it possible to ream a 25.4 to a 26.0? I'm also pretty much committed to a stem-mounted cable stop as there is not enough length to the head tube for me to fit one at the headset-I was able to solve this with a v-brake noodle (you can see it in the first pic) and it works well without binding.

I'll probably do a build thread when it's finished and show how I mounted the shifters...I want to make sure they work as intended, if they are impractical then it's pointless.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    If that doesn't work, you might could try these:
    Retroshift.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    the only place where you can get the nitto 26.0 is rivendell bikes:
    Nitto Dirt Drop 26.0

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info guys, Rivendell does have a stem that might work if I can sort the brake cable routing out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shogun700 View Post
    [IMG]As I mentioned before, the whole build was inspired by a set of tires-NOS Tioga Farmer Johns that I found all studded up and not exactly practical, but I thought with the Marinoni being Canadian, a winter build might be the way to go with it even though the tires are just for pictures.
    Maybe this is what you're saying, but the Farmer Johns are backwards, aren't they? God, I used to love those tires, but I always ran them the same way as tractors and back-hoes run their tires - rotating so that the point of the chevron struck the ground first. "Digging in" versus "shoveling." Gonna be a cool bike though. I like your shifter mod, and I'm interested to see how well it works out.

mtbr member
    Maybe this is what you're saying, but the Farmer Johns are backwards, aren't they? God, I used to love those tires, but I always ran them the same way as tractors and back-hoes run their tires - rotating so that the point of the chevron struck the ground first. "Digging in" versus "shoveling." Gonna be a cool bike though. I like your shifter mod, and I'm interested to see how well it works out.

I could not agree more about the tires....I spent an hour on the web trying to find out the correct way to mount them, found a few threads where the general consensus for tires was the labels should be on the drive side-even found one thread where a guy said something like "we've been arguing about this since the Tioga Farmer Johns came out". I really, really wanted to mount them the other way....glad you brought it up.

Regarding the shifters-I'm sure someone else has tried what I'm doing, it's not rocket science. For most applications, it wouldn't make sense as you cannot ride on the hoods with the shifter in the way, but for DD purposes the potential pitfall is the lever being in the way of the grip area in the drops when you are in the middle gear. We will see.

mtbr member
    1990 Trek 950 Singletrack SS

mtbr member
    Someone named "Othervoicez" should be contacting you soon....
    Seek: Koski Trailmaster. Breezer Series 2 or 3. Cunningham Racer.

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by merzperson View Post
    1990 Trek 950 Singletrack SS

/397259_3202148490784_1178247896_33435189_607654858 _n.jpg[/IMG]
    Nice bike.

mtbr member
    I was cracking myself up with my joke this morning and nobody even gave me so much as a sympathy laugh....

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by Aemmer View Post
    I was cracking myself up with my joke this morning and nobody even gave me so much as a sympathy laugh....
    You can do better.

While we're at it....I find that Trek offensive.
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

Stokeless Asshat
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy View Post
    You can do better.

Offensive and beautiful at the same time.
    Zip ties? Not on my bike!

Want:
    650B rims or wheel set. 80's vintage 32 or 36 x 135mm

mtbr member
    I am certainly no expert or "vintage bike purist" (not even close), so might I inquire why you find the bike offensive short of the cheap-o made in China fluorescent green tires?

CS2
    mtbr member
    I am certainly no expert or "vintage bike purist" (not even close), so might I inquire why you find the bike offensive short of the cheap-o made in China fluorescent green tires?
    If you're new you'll find the regulars are giving a baptism by fire. Or as some call it an enema with a garden hose. You need thick skin to hang here.

mtbr member
    Just having fun, don't take it personal.....

Your bike just reminded me of a fun thread here on VRC

I used to try to run any crazy colored tire I could find
    I have had so many I cant list them all
    the wild gripper by Michelin (green)
    and a few specialized tires in various colors

I going to replenish my selection of
    colored tires and brake lever extensions?
    - glad to be here.

I know those colored tires are out there
    but where?

I just dont give up that easily.
    who here can steer me in the right direction?
    I bought 2 sets of darwin lever extensions
    but I have still no avenues on the colored tires.

anyone?

???
    any help on this much wanted info?

I have ran colored tires since my first tailwhips on my gt performer in 1988
    so it is just a matter of my tastes

so anyone able to help out with some actual info?
    Im sure there are actual members here who actually have knowledge
    and would enjoy giving this site some credibility as being a place where the members
    actually know there hobby.

any one?

ahh see colored tires are not so silly after all

glad to see someone who has no problem enjoying what they like

thanks
    othervoicez

nothing like a set of skinwall tires in
    various colors to set off a 90's rig.

VRC Illuminati
    Well...I'm a purist, so its more my problem than yours. If the bike works, then sweet.
    For me personally, Tektro brake levers and cheapo v-brakes don't get me too stoked. Quill stem set all super high (hopefully below limit line). From there non-cloth tape. New newer saddle and newer drop bars look ugly on old bikes. Again, just my opinion.
    -eric-

mtbr member
    This is the legendary MTBR 'VRC' public forum-it exists to help those who were 'in the know' back in the day learn about pedestrian MTB's from the 'new era' after 1988 or so, when the introduction of fluorescent spandex pants apparently caused semi-permanent blindness. Otherwise, they would have a dedicated, private forum to talk to each other about the bikes deemed worthy, and there is simply no fun or point in that!

mtbr member
    Otherwise, they would have a dedicated, private forum to talk to each other about the bikes deemed worthy, and there is simply no fun or point in that!

VMBEFG....Winter is waning, must get out and ride soon.......

mtbr member
    Yeah, I'm definitely not trying to break the bank on period correct parts, but rather putting together something that is fun to ride, inexpensive, and looks good (to me). I suppose this means it doesn't belong in the vintage forum. I do need a new stem though.

By the way, anyone seen any Merz MTB's here on the forum?

gobsmacked Moderator
    By the way, anyone seen any Merz MTB's here on the forum?

Yes.

velocipede technician
    the illegitimate love child of othervoices and momosgarage

one helluva what if portal, my head just exploded
    looking for 20-21" P team

mtbr member
    ....Winter is waning, must get out and ride soon.......

Agreed! No snow here.....but my neck/back are a mess. *sigh*

Merzperson, your bike belongs here, there are plenty of older mtb's floating around the forum with newer parts like yours. Don't hesitate to post, just be ready for blunt opinions-both positive and negative. I own several bikes, both 'worthy ' and not-so-worthy, an post them all up fearlessly.

I like your ride, the 950 frame looks good with the drops and it's really clean, well done. I want to hate the tires, but it's not happening!

mtbr member
    Well hey - I'm here to learn, so I'll take the negative comments. I'd never claim to know more about vintage bikes than anyone else on here. I found this Trek on CL for $75 and have had a blast riding it and fixing it up (on a poor college student budget). I've always thought classic mountain bikes are some of the most beautiful bicycles that have ever been made and it's been my dream to put one together.

If anyone has any photos of Merz MTB's I'd love to see them.

Did I catch a niner+?
    Quote Originally Posted by CS2 View Post
    Anyone make anything close to these today? The closest I could find was the Kelly Take Off
    Kelly Bike Company

There is an interesting lever coming out for the cyclocross gang Retroshift.
    Thread:
    http://forums.roadbikereview.com/com...ft-264420.html

retroshift | Mud Proof Shifting. Designed by Goats!

Youtube video, watch it. The video explains it well.
    Retroshift's Channel - YouTube

Sent them an email regarding a v-brake set (disc brakes) and they said early spring is the planned time.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?

mtbr member
    I don't get the fuss about whether a certian bike is worthy or not worthy. He's got a mountain bike with drop bars in "The single consolidated official drop bar thread". He's out riding a bike that he built himself and he's having a good time. If he builds a bike to his liking because that is what he wants then that's great. I give him props. I'd run lime green tires in a heartbeat also.

Keeping on topic..Here is an updated picture of my bike. Since last time it was posted it has gotten new tires (I really miss the gum walls...) and tubes, a new saddle and pedals. Now the bike may seem silly to you, but I love this bike. I've got less than $50 bucks in the entire build and so far this year I've ridden it much more than my other bikes that have cost much more.

I will get some better pictures, a cellphone pic on a sunny day is horrible

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch rides a SS View Post
    I don't get the fuss about whether a certian bike is worthy or not worthy. He's got a mountain bike with drop bars in "The single consolidated official drop bar thread". He's out riding a bike that he built himself and he's having a good time. If he builds a bike to his liking because that is what he wants then that's great. I give him props. I'd run lime green tires in a heartbeat also.
    Most people are very simple minded. They want to be like everybody else and want everybody else to be like them. When someone steps across the line their mob mentality kicks in and they go into automatic rejection without really analyzing where their ill-founded thoughts come from.

mtbr member
    Darn,
    I was just having fun because the green tires reminded me of Othervoicez. Not sure how that was complaining, but lets be honest, those are the brightest tires to appear in VRC for quite some time.

As far as the build goes on the TREK; The drops to saddle ratio appears to be huge and I don't know if this would be conductive towards a comfortable long ride. I believe there is a lot of confusion about what the vintage drop bar mountain bike was trying to accomplish, and several builds here are put together with the emphasis on riding the hoods not the drops. This is fine if that is what you are trying to accomplish, but it is not in the spirit of the vintage mountainbike drop bar rides which were designed to ride mainly with the hands in the drops.

Vintage drop bar mountainbikes were designed to ride the drops for several reasons including an ergonomic correct hand position, and using the bend of the bars as a source of suspension.

I am now ready to be blasted for stating my opinion.....flame on.....

Ride what you brought and ride hard,
    Last edited by tductape; 02-08-2012 at 08:48 AM.

mtbr member
    Darn,
    I was just having fun because the green tires reminded me of Othervoicez. Not sure how that was complaining, but lets be honest, those are the brightest tires to appear in VRC for quite some time.

As far as the build goes on the TREK; The drops to saddle ratio appears to be huge and I don't know if this would be conductive towards a comfortable long ride. I believe there is a lot of confusion about what the vintage drop bar mountain bike was trying to accomplish, and several builds here are put together with the emphasis on riding the hoods not the drops. This is fine if that is what you are trying to accomplish, but it is not in the spirit of the vintage mountainbike drop bar rides which were designed to ride mainly with the hands in the drops.

Vintage drop bar mountainbikes were designed to ride the drops for several reasons including hand position and using the bend of the bars as a source of suspension.

I am now ready to be blasted for stating my opinion.....flame on.....

Ride what you brought and ride hard,
    That's just good, constructive critique. What he's saying, @merzperson, is that you'd probably be more comfortable on a stem that is much shorter taller. (look for a kalloy, if you don't want to spend a bunch of money) Unlike a road bike, you should ride in the hooks 100% of the time, and your grip area wants to be in roughly the same position, relative to the saddle, as it would have been if you were using a typical flat bar and that 140mm or 150mm stem.

I never read the "hello, my name is Othervoicez" thread, or I might have laughed.

mtbr member
    The saddle to bar drop doesn't look all that bad for his height, but the reach does look fairly long. Remember taller guys can get away with more of a difference between bar and saddle height because their longer arms make up the difference. In the end, it's about the angle of your back, not a set in stone bar to seat ratio, because everybody's got dif bodily proportions.

Heck, look at the king/originator/founder of off road drop bars (Charlie Cunningham) and his bike has a 2-3" (maybe more as I'm going off memory) difference between bar and saddle height.

And the height of the bars isn't necessarily a comfort thing (people do the RAAM with low bars), it's more to do with weight distribution for riding in the dirt and technical terrain vs the road which doesn't ever need much rearward body English.
    Last edited by Fillet-brazed; 02-08-2012 at 09:42 AM.

mtbr member
    saddle to bar drop doesn't look all that bad for his height

Ok probably just the angle of the photo and a strong back. FWIW here is a pic of mine 6' 3" , 48 YO and slacking in the yoga classes. I think I squatted down a little more when I took the pic.

the reach does look fairly long

I Agree

mtbr member
    saddle to bar drop doesn't look all that bad for his height

Ok probably just the angle of the photo and a strong back. FWIW here is a pic of mine 6' 3" , 48 YO and slacking in the yoga classes. I think I squatted down a little more when I took the pic.

I Agree
    that's a pretty bike.

I know of some guys that ride in the midwest on dirt drops with a standard mtb stem (you know who you are) and it's fine. I'm guessing the trails are flatter/less technical there, not requiring excessive body weight shifts to the rear.

Whatever works for your body and terrain I guess.

mtbr member
    This setup is good for riding on the hoods on dirt roads, but not good in the drops on technical stuff.

The single consolidated official drop bar thread-salsadd1.jpg

This setup has proven to be good for riding in the drops all day long.

The single consolidated official drop bar thread-img_5945.jpg

A little more height on the Ham and less reach made all the difference.
    Last edited by DoubleCentury; 02-08-2012 at 12:08 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    You can do better.

It's a terrible thing , a $50.00 dollar bike that rides better than your $500.00 bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Smedley View Post
    It's a terrible thing , a $50.00 dollar bike that rides better than your $500.00 bike.
    Yeah, it's just not right that someone with virtually no knowledge of boutique bike brands and vintage components, who doesn't spend endless hours scouring Ebay and Craigslist for the rare finds, can put together a bike that provides pretty much the same ride experience.
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trailville View Post
    who doesn't spend endless hours scouring Ebay and Craigslist for the rare finds
    Is this what collecting is now? Ebay and Craigslist?

I spent part of this morning communicating with a friend who I met here on VRC and have shared a few emails and phone conversations with over the years. I appreciate the heck out of his bike passion, opinions and daydream about having a collection that contains a few bikes as nice as his someday.

We have traded parts back and forth before. No ebay, Clist, cloak and daggers involved, just the same passion for nice old bike stuff.

I came back from Vaca. on Monday to another email from a different friend who wanted to touch base and share some pictures of his latest bike find. Again, just a passion for old bikes.....

mtbr member
    Re: my bar to saddle ratio. Part of this is that my stem doesn't go any higher (I have it just above the max height line - probably shouldn't ride it like that) and I'm not having much luck finding a suitable high-rise stem with comparable reach. I'm 6'5" and all torso. Mostly importantly, though, my background is in road racing where there's easily a foot of drop from the saddle to the bars. I ride my Trek 950 in the drops 90% of the time on the roads, and 100% on the trails.

Anybody have a recommendation for a 1" stem with decent rise and reach? Preferably of the inexpensive variety?

mtbr member

CS2
    mtbr member
    Otherwise, they would have a dedicated, private forum to talk to each other about the bikes deemed worthy, and there is simply no fun or point in that!
    I thought we had that at one time. There was a lot of flak on it if I remember.

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Smedley View Post
    I'm embarrassed to say I don't have a $500 bike.
    -eric-

Certified Bike Junkie
    That's nothing to be embarrassed about.
    Need: McMahon brake for roller cam mounts, Mountain Goat fork.

mtbr member

Destined to be a "classic"

retroshift | Mud Proof Shifting. Designed by Goats!

From the cyclcross forum.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The single consolidated official drop bar thread-retroshift.jpg  

Stokeless Asshat
    Pricey!
    Zip ties? Not on my bike!

Want:
    650B rims or wheel set. 80's vintage 32 or 36 x 135mm

mtbr member
    Oof---! Yeah, I didn't notice the price the first time I looked. $120 for funky brake levers! (and that's not including the shifters....)

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    can't shift from the drops.
    need to continuously change hand positioning (loosing the grip on handlebar)
    can't brake while shifting
    expensive

mtbr member
    Nice little vid at the bottom about taping handlebars. I've always been fine with a dab of glue at the very end so the tape doesn't unravel but the twine idea is old school slick. Probably came from the days before there was any adhesive on the cloth.

Speaking of cloth. It's getting pretty hard to find cloth tape any more. Guys at the LBS didn't even know what I was talking about. I went ahead a bought a whole box of blue because I needed some but now all I have is blue. Not that I need it all the time but does anyone have a good source for cloth tape?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by modifier View Post
    Nice little vid at the bottom about taping handlebars. I've always been fine with a dab of glue at the very end so the tape doesn't unravel but the twine idea is old school slick. Probably came from the days before there was any adhesive on the cloth.

Speaking of cloth. It's getting pretty hard to find cloth tape any more. Guys at the LBS didn't even know what I was talking about. I went ahead a bought a whole box of blue because I needed some but now all I have is blue. Not that I need it all the time but does anyone have a good source for cloth tape?
    Newbaums Bar Tape

mtbr member
    all I have is blue

My box is white.....

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by LNBright View Post
    I just redid the bars on my Salsa with that stuff. I liked it.
    -eric-

mtbr member
    Nice lead. If you need more color choice than that you have a problem

Thanks

mtbr member
    Here is another brand. Cloth Bar Tape

And an interesting article. The Velo ORANGE Blog: Shellac and Bar Tape, a Guide

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Spin it again
    Newbaums is good quality tape. Plush and feels real nice.

I recently tried another brand of cloth tape (rather not name names) that was thinner and more anemic. It curled up slightly on the edges when wrapped tightly.

Newbaum's is the way to go. The dark eggplant color is awesome where you might otherwise use black.

mtbr member
    I've never cut the tape in half underneath the brake lever as done in that Riv video. Are people here commonly doing that?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleCentury View Post
    I've never cut the tape in half underneath the brake lever as done in that Riv video. Are people here commonly doing that?
    No. I've gone both ways, starting at the stem or the end of the bar but I always do it with one continuous length.

When I stop at the bar end I tuck the tape in and insert the plug or Bar Con and when I stop at the stem I wrap electrical tape around the end or put a dab of glue on a tapered end to hold it in place.

But it did give me the idea of starting both ways, cutting and tucking the ends under the brake hood as an alternate. I think I'll try this next time as it might be the best. No loose ends to deal with.

VRC Hound
    that is the Alex Singer method. It works very well.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I wanted to get some feedback on the bar position before I send the stem design to Joel at Clockwork for my new 1" LD stem. This is my first drop bar bike. Here is what the bike looks like now with a mock up adjustable stem. I am planning on have it built about 3/4"-1" lower than it is shown here. It is as low as it will go but feels pretty good. I'm fat, old and broken so it will not be doing anything very technical. Fire roads and easy single track.

The stem will end up 6.8" tall with a 2.9" reach.

The single consolidated official drop bar thread-merlin-drops-1.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    If this can help.... The top should be 1/2 3/4 inch lower than original

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Nice work Machianera, I am going to go with 1/2" lower than the current mockup.
    Thanks!

VRC Illuminati
    If that 1/2" gets the tops of the bars about level with the saddle and you feel comfortable on it (especially in the drops), then I think you should be good.

Great build on that Merlin too, RLD (reproduction limp dick) should round out the package nicely. Let me know if you don't want that pesky rear brake.
    -eric-

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Thanks Eric; Yeah that pesky rear brake is what I did this entire build around (very long ($) story to get the brake). Saw the merlin on Ebay and noticed it had a ubrake so I went for it rather than re-boss my Ibis.

artistic...
    Quote Originally Posted by surfoverhill View Post
    Thanks Eric; Yeah that pesky rear brake is what I did this entire build around (very long ($) story to get the brake). Saw the merlin on Ebay and noticed it had a ubrake so I went for it rather than re-boss my Ibis.
    i would significantly lower the brake levers on that hbar.

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by surfoverhill View Post
    Haha, there have been bikes built around less significant parts. It ultimately would have been just as expensive to re-boss and re-paint your Ibis...except now you have two bikes!

Quote Originally Posted by colker1 View Post
    i would significantly lower the brake levers on that hbar.
    Agreed.
    -eric-

mtbr member
    Do you think that RockShox fork the first edition of their production forks? Looks just like the one I have from a 94 Specialized except gold instead of silver. I don't remember anything prior.

Decided to answer my own question. Here is the scoop.

Rock Shox Museum

more beers, less gears
    Mar 2010
    first proper warm day around here. time to roll out on the good stuff.

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by rigidftw View Post
    first proper warm day around here. time to roll out on the good stuff.
    Nice!

I had mine out the other day too.

-eric-

artistic...
    Nice!

I had mine out the other day too.

That's my favourite from all your bikes. what brake levers are those?

more beers, less gears
    Mar 2010
    looks like dura ace, bl-7402.

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by colker1 View Post
    That's my favourite from all your bikes. what brake levers are those?
    Thanks, its one of my faves too. A couple dozen miles and almost 4k footies and comfy all the way though.

Quote Originally Posted by rigidftw View Post
    looks like dura ace, bl-7402.

^^^ This. ^^^
    -eric-

Old School
    Visual comparison of Nitto Dirt Drop stem and Salsa P10:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The single consolidated official drop bar thread-img_6195.jpg  

The single consolidated official drop bar thread-img_6193.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Questionable pictures

RFC
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Lately, I have been riding more, wrenching less, and practicing N-3+1. Here is +1.

I have been intrigued by some of the new "Gravel Grinders" on the market, particularly the Salsa Ti Vaya. So, before I dropped serious cash on the Vaya, I wanted to see what I could come up with. Besides, it's more fun that way and keeps me from engaging in antisocial behavior.

So, I began searching for just the right Ti MTB frame. For a drop bar setup, it needed to be a fairly large, older frame (shorter TT) built for a rigid fork (more HT). This really put me in the late 80's and early 90's (C&V).

I finally found the right frame -- a 1990 Russian frame manufactured for a Dutch bike company. The very kind and knowledgeable Dutch seller described the heritage to me as follows:

Many thanks for your shown interest ! A Dutchman ( Gijs van Tuyl) took up the idea to go east and have frames built from Russian army spec titanium. The early frames were also built at army facilities , I think this was near Novigrod. Later van Tuyl got EU money to start also other eatern Europe production facilities. Comparing the frame with other brands is difficult , I tried to make the description in the auction as honest and detailed as possible . In short: well built (good proportions , well welded) with many integrated details , the shaping of the tubes could have been better . The bike you built with this frame will be a good versitale ride.

The frame arrived last week and I just finished the build. The components are a combination of old and new that I like and had around. The design is really function driven. My most specific design detail was to stick with the threaded fork so I could use a tall (VO) stem adapter with threadless stems. The combination of several inches of useful stem plus a choice of threadless stems of different lengths and angles gives me a great deal of fit flexibility for different conditions.

I am also considering whether it would be possible to convert the bike to 700 wheels so I could pool different wheel/tire/cassette combinations with my cyclocross bike.

Does anyone make long reach cantis that would work for the conversion or how about V-brakes.

At any rate, it's hit 60 degrees here and I'm out the door to grind.

Have a great weekend.

RFC

mtbr member
    Neat project! Longer (bigger wheel) reach with v's can be had with the BMX version of Paul's Motolite.

more beers, less gears
    Mar 2010
    i don't think 28" wheels will work in that frame/fork.

Certified Bike Junkie
    You can usually put 700c wheels with narrowish road cross tires in a 26" frame/fork depending on how much clearance you have. For brakes, these adapters should work for relocating the canti posts. Mavic also makes something similar.

Xtracycle 26" to 700c Brake Post Conversion Adapter | | Bike Trailer Shop
    Need: McMahon brake for roller cam mounts, Mountain Goat fork.

mtbr member

Diamond Back Axis Pro 1992 commuter

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Steel View Post
    Visual comparison of Nitto Dirt Drop stem and Salsa P10:
    Thanks for sharing! I'll probably get a 10cm DD for my next projekt.
    Just like to ad that the Nitto Technomic Standard may not look right but work pretty well. Here fitted with a 1 1/8 shim on a parts bin commuter I cobbled together. Thought the 130mm version would be to long but gave it a try. Tuned out to be spot on as the bars move backwards the higher they sit. Also fitted a 46cm Salsa Bell Lap donated by a friend, Dura-Ace SL-7700 9sp shifters, Tektro levers and some '89 Deore II BR-MT62 cantis. With some good 'ol ceramic 217 rims and XTR ceramic pads braking is on par with most mech disc's.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The single consolidated official drop bar thread-dsc_0036-2-.jpg  

The single consolidated official drop bar thread-drops-dsc_0041-2-s.jpg  

The single consolidated official drop bar thread-drops-dsc_0051-2-s.jpg  

The single consolidated official drop bar thread-dsc_0062-2-.jpg  

Last edited by fenderbender; 03-15-2012 at 12:31 PM.
    Marriage is a wonderful invention, but then again so is the puncture repair kit...

underachiever
    Quote Originally Posted by fenderbender View Post
    ....some '89 Deore II BR-MT62 cantis.....
    Wicked cool cable hanger!

Here's my drop bar beast. Not VRC but it has quite a few VRC parts.

In the wild:

The single consolidated official drop bar thread-firefly.jpg

Out of the wild:

The single consolidated official drop bar thread-firefly2.jpg

mtbr member
    Thanks, about the only cool thing on that bike! ; )
    Love your "supermotard-style" build and the use of thumbies!
    I recently sold my Cooks that I got in '94 for a Litespeed Obed build. Damn, they sure have a wide q-factor! That cable hanger come off that same same bike. Think I still have the Campa OR Record cantis and Titec 118 bar some were.
    I'll probably give that thumbie shifters trick a try on my next Miyata parts bin tourer build. Could use the Suntour bar con shifters I had planed to use on a Bridgestone RB-T instead.
    Just noticed Paul Components have some new thumbie mounts! Also spent some time last night flicking through the pics of these gorgeous classic dirt drop mtb's!
    Edit: Aha, thought I'd seen your Firefly some where before! Hope you don't mind cuz it's a beautie!
    Last edited by fenderbender; 03-15-2012 at 10:51 AM.
    Marriage is a wonderful invention, but then again so is the puncture repair kit...

underachiever
    Quote Originally Posted by fenderbender View Post
    Just noticed Paul Components have some new thumbie mounts!
    Thanks for the compliments!

By the way, the thumbies aren't new rather just the current version upside down. Clever installation indeed!

CS2
    mtbr member
    WOW, those are some really bright colors perfect for a Harlequin tape job.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by misterdangerpants View Post
    Thanks for the compliments!
    Another good looking build for you, but man that thing has pain written all over it after about a mile. At least for us not used to advanced road bike posture.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast