Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213
    mtbr member
    Colky, I appreciate the tips, but I've been riding the bike like this for a at least a year now. I actually moved the brake levers up after a while, as it felt best there. If I'm riding super technical trails, I take my IF. Cheers!

Stokeless Asshat
    As stated countless times in this thread, the "proper" set up gets your hands in the hooks where they would be on a flat bar set up. The flared bars where designed to be ridden in the drops most of the time. Because of the flair riding on the hoods is less than ideal. The best frames for this tend to have taller head tubes and often shorter top tubes. High rise/short reach stems plus shifter perches that allow access from the hooks are the finishing touches. The stems are easier to find than the perches.
    Zip ties? Not on my bike!

Want:
    650B rims or wheel set. 80's vintage 32 or 36 x 135mm

mtbr member
    I also moved the brakes up on my RB-2 road bike. Blasphemy, I know...after riding my cross bike a lot in the past 2 years, I find the "cross" high brakes feel good on my wrist. So that's why they are where they are on my Bonti. I have "cross" brakes on all my "drop bar" bikes, because I ride on the flats a lot, and after decades of dirt bikes and mountain bikes, I'm programmed to grab for them. Bar end shifters on all 3 also. See how I'm wired? Consistency.

I also have 175 cranks on ALL my bikes, road, mountain and cross. Because it WORKS for me and again, consistency.

Yes, I've read this (and others) post from cover to cover. Odd that many may think I have not tried "it". I know what the "proper" set up is, I simply choose to do what's best for me.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015

Bonty dirt drop...continued

For whatever reason there's been a bunch of Bontrgaer dirt drops appearing on this thread. So, I'm usually more iconoclastic, but I'll follow suite though I've been planning to do this for some time. In either case, this is just the start and I know the bars are probably 1/4" to 1/2" too high, but I'm picking up a Bonty chrome comp fork (much gratitude to a Mr. Lee D for those!) and hoping it might drop the front end a tad, you think? Next in line are dia compe aero levers, going with barcons until hell freezes over and I can get WTB conversions....I think she will do nicely from a preliminary sit over.....BTW it's a pretty nice (I know common) 91', large, with semi-horizontal d-outs, eggplant Bontrager, but my bike leanings are Santa Cruz by origin...we shall see. Ride report coming in the next 1-2 weeks. Side note...rain rain rain !!!!yay

The single consolidated official drop bar thread-bont_drop.jpg

and with the flat bars as a general comparison...

The single consolidated official drop bar thread-bont_drop2.jpg

Cheers and ride on

mtbr member
    May 2014
    That's a large? It looks so tiny with that stem on it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I know, it's a bit of a Goonie, but it feels good when I'm on it, though only a proper ride will tell. The frame is definitely a large. I think things will get visually balanced out as I progress and fine tune. See you Saturday

gobsmacked Moderator
    Yours may be the first I've seen with a suspension fork.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Ha ha, it'll be replaced with a nice chrome Bontrager fork shortly, but I'm wondering what peeps think of the initial set up. Dig it and no one likes rain? Cheers to rain

gobsmacked Moderator
    Hmmmm. Is there a next bigger size?

artistic...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Claus View Post
    Ha ha, it'll be replaced with a nice chrome Bontrager fork shortly, but I'm wondering what peeps think of the initial set up. Dig it and no one likes rain? Cheers to rain
    I like it. The amount of seatpost says the frame is ok. Bar height is fine and dandy. Looking at the short stem w/ flat bar i wonder if the top tube/ saddle to drops is too long. You will have to ride and see.
    The bontrager fork will steepen everything and reduce front end. NOt my cup of tea but some people like it.

mtbr member
    The original drop bar conversion for my Bonty a few years back: Cobbled together from stuff i had -700c wheels, BMX adaptor for rear canto’s to move them “up”, Kelly road stem-almost no rise, so a mile of spacers to get height. Surley crosscheck fork, 35 wide tires-plenty of room for larger. Did this conversion just for the heck of it, raced a couple of cross races on it, did a lot of trail riding with it. Only time it felt sketchy was fast corners on the road, tall BB height. Eventually returned to 26 wheels, as KB intended it to be.
    The single consolidated official drop bar thread-bontycrosssm.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by colker1 View Post
    I like it. The amount of seatpost says the frame is ok. Bar height is fine and dandy. Looking at the short stem w/ flat bar i wonder if the top tube/ saddle to drops is too long. You will have to ride and see.
    The bontrager fork will steepen everything and reduce front end. NOt my cup of tea but some people like it.
    Thanks for the input Flávio, I think she'll work out, actually in the drops I was concerned I might be too upright, but yes only miles will tell, very excited to get the Bonty fork on there, aesthetically and functionally. Headed out to get me and the Lobster nice and muddy. BTW someone needs to post up a non-Bonty drop, the threads getting too SC. Cheers

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    For whatever reason there's been a bunch of Bontrgaer dirt drops appearing on this thread. So, I'm usually more iconoclastic, but I'll follow suite though I've been planning to do this for some time. In either case, this is just the start and I know the bars are probably 1/4" to 1/2" too high, but I'm picking up a Bonty chrome comp fork (much gratitude to a Mr. Lee D for those!) and hoping it might drop the front end a tad, you think? Next in line are dia compe aero levers, going with barcons until hell freezes over and I can get WTB conversions....I think she will do nicely from a preliminary sit over.....BTW it's a pretty nice (I know common) 91', large, with semi-horizontal d-outs, eggplant Bontrager, but my bike leanings are Santa Cruz by origin...we shall see. Ride report coming in the next 1-2 weeks. Side note...rain rain rain !!!!yay

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bont_drop.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	119.0 KB 
ID:	1099881

and with the flat bars as a general comparison...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bont_drop2.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	115.6 KB 
ID:	1099882

Cheers and ride on
    Definitely cool! Would love to find one of those Salsa stems one day. I too am throwing together a bontrager build with WTB drop bars. Not quite as Vintage as yours but I'm still excited to ride it. Almost finished.The single consolidated official drop bar thread-image.jpgThe single consolidated official drop bar thread-image.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Nice lookin rig Wissa, I do wish my WTBs weren't cut quite as much as they are, but price was very right. You're father along than I, nice clean stealthy looking bike you have, hope you enjoy the ride. The Bonty drop trend continues. Cheers

mtbr member
    The single consolidated official drop bar thread-img_3220.jpg
    Seek: Koski Trailmaster. Breezer Series 2 or 3. Cunningham Racer.

mtbr member
    Dec 2015

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Yummy, all you need is some butter and lemon! About to head out for an afternoon ride on that ones cousin. Dig it

Stokeless Asshat
    Sexy.
    Quote Originally Posted by caemis View Post

Zip ties? Not on my bike!

Want:
    650B rims or wheel set. 80's vintage 32 or 36 x 135mm

mtbr member

Schwinn Moab 2

I got bored of my old 1993 Rockhopper drop bar conversion, so I decided to build this guy. Specifically, my Rockhopper was only able to tackle terrain similar to my normal CX bike, so I wanted to make my conversion a bit more capable to create some separation between the two in terms of usage scenario. That's the purpose the disc brakes and suspension fork serve.

With cobbled together heavy parts, this thing weighs 27.2lbs as shown. I need to shed some weight, probably in the pedals, tires, and crankset. If I want to make it even lighter, I also have an old carbon rigid MTB fork laying around. I also intend to put on a 48t outer chainring to make it a bit faster on smoother surfaces.

This thing will be used for touring, adventure rides, and commuting. Judging from my first ride on it, it'll be a perfect companion for all three!

The single consolidated official drop bar thread-post1.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2015

Another go at it....

Here we go, I think this project is coming along relatively well, though if anything is too jinkie I'm sure I'll hear about it, be kind. A couple things to sort out, I think I'll ditch the Control Tech brake in the back they don't seem to get along with the road levers, I'll add the M900s. Speaking of levers, I think I've asked before, but can't find where, what levers would be ideal here, smooth and strong pull?

Another brake related issue, I need a pretty thin front cable hanger, suggestions? I'd love WTBs, but any other attainable ideas?

In either case she's come a long way from a bare frame, my 1900/91 purple Bontrager was the organ donor, the majority of the parts were taken off that (anyone interested? size L, I'll post that properly)...Hoping to get it all set for an inaugural ride next weekend, the recent rains have made the Bay Area trails perfect!

The single consolidated official drop bar thread-jb-1.jpg

The single consolidated official drop bar thread-jb-2.jpg

The single consolidated official drop bar thread-jb-3.jpg

mtbr member
    Ritchey? Dis-Compe are thinner though.

artistic...
    Lower a bit down the brake levers. Rotate the bars a bit up.
    Get a turbo saddle.
    Levers= shimano.
    brakes= shimano.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Thanks for the input (and being kind), sticking with the flight though, they fit my tushy perfectly. Will find a pair of Shimano levers and maybe a Ritchey cable hanger. I know there's a few of these JBs in the Bay Area, but I'll try later to tweak her my way, I just want get a first ride in. Black neubaum tape or maroon, hmmm. I'll throw it out there in futility WTB shifter mounts???? Dig it

artistic...
    Thanks for the input (and being kind), sticking with the flight though, they fit my tushy perfectly. Will find a pair of Shimano levers and maybe a Ritchey cable hanger. I know there's a few of these JBs in the Bay Area, but I'll try later to tweak her my way, I just want get a first ride in. Black neubaum tape or maroon, hmmm. I'll throw it out there in futility WTB shifter mounts???? Dig it
    Bike is looking awesome.

VRC Illuminati
    Here we go, I think this project is coming along relatively well, though if anything is too jinkie I'm sure I'll hear about it, be kind. A couple things to sort out, I think I'll ditch the Control Tech brake in the back they don't seem to get along with the road levers, I'll add the M900s. Speaking of levers, I think I've asked before, but can't find where, what levers would be ideal here, smooth and strong pull?

Another brake related issue, I need a pretty thin front cable hanger, suggestions? I'd love WTBs, but any other attainable ideas?

In either case she's come a long way from a bare frame, my 1900/91 purple Bontrager was the organ donor, the majority of the parts were taken off that (anyone interested? size L, I'll post that properly)...Hoping to get it all set for an inaugural ride next weekend, the recent rains have made the Bay Area trails perfect!
    The Shimano hangers are pretty thin and (should) have a barrel adjuster. I'm assuming your rear hanger does? Otherwise you'll have to run in-line adjusters for proper brake micro-adjustment/tuning.
    The lever location looks ok, but I otherwise agree 100% with Colker's suggestions.
    Ends of the drop bars should at least be following the line of the top tube or at the most be pointing towards the rear derailleur depending on preferences.
    Keep in theme with the rest of the M900 build. M900 brakes are terrific and will pull great with some 7400 Dura Ace brake levers.
    Build otherwise looks like it's coming along great!

Quote Originally Posted by colker1 View Post
    Rotate the bars a bit up.
    Get a turbo saddle.
    Levers= shimano.
    brakes= shimano.
    ^ This.
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

KWN
    mtbr member
    Feb 2006

1995 Trek 930

Bought new in late '94. Tough to find single threadless adapter in 1.125 (VO has height I need but 1") so I MacGuyvered a Sunlight quill extender with another adapter inserted into that. I'm insured, and giddy. I just prefer the ridiculous steerer rise look to the ridiculous stem rise look. More soon as I build...

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    I just have to comment, so I'll get an email reminder of where I've been. Every 26" mtb I see now looks like it should have drops on it. I'm glad I found this thread.

KWN
    mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    She's done, and rides beautifully. Glad I never sold this bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Here's mine, built from a Kona Kula.

The single consolidated official drop bar thread-uploadfromtaptalk1494472561426.jpg

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213