Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast
    mtbr member
    I hope you have a nice dental plan.........
    84 Ritcher Super Comp
    85 Salsa Scoboni
    85 Ritchey Timber Comp
    88 Ritchey Super Comp

gobsmacked Moderator

The single consolidated official drop bar thread

Quote Originally Posted by Shane5001 View Post
    Attachment 1066199Attachment 1066200

3 attempts and I think I finally got something. Hard to size right with long legs and short torso. I had to pony up on the $$ and get the Nitto mt-10 long quill stem. I used my smallest/shortest frame, old bridgestone mb-4.
    Whoa nelly. I also have longer legs and a shorter torso than a corresponding height-equivalent man that these bikes were designed for so I know a thing or two about top tube and stem lengths but you really should get a different bike that fits you better and if you really have that much trouble reaching down and getting a water bottle, maybe get a camelbak.
    Last edited by girlonbike; 04-27-2016 at 02:41 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    Whoa nelly. I also have longer legs and a shorter torso than a corresponding height-equivalent man that these bikes were designed for so I know a thing or two about top tube and stem lengths but you really should get a different bike that fits you better and if you really have that much trouble reaching down and getting a water bottle, maybe get a camelbak.
    The water bottles are there for a couple reasons, 1: they stay clean instead of getting a mouth full of dry dirt this summer, 2: leaving the frame open for a frame bag. My idea was to put the hand position while in the drops close to the same spot as if on a regular bar, with exception of being sideways. I started with a larger frame, was impossible to get reach short enough, tried a medium frame, still not enough. The Nitto stem maxed out on this frame puts the lower curve of the drops right about saddle height with reach being very comparable to my typical mtb's. Looks ridiculous, yes indeed, but actually rode pretty well, could probably drop the stem an inch or so. I think when I build my touring bike I'll go jone's H bars or equivalent instead.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Hi, American M16

Philippe

Old School
    Nicely done Philippe.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Pretty!

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by oneschnark View Post
    Hi, American M16

Philippe
    I like the silver brakes in back, black up front. I did the same with my drop bar Salsa.
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    one 's more

Philippe

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I got the Croll out for a shake-down ride. I will post more pictures when I get some of the details finished up. It has garbage shifters on it and cheap bar tape. I also want a different cable hanger up front. As it stands, it has XTR 900 brakes, hubs, and derailleurs, Ultergra tricolor brake levers, Cook Bros. Cranks, XT pedals, XTR 910 seat post (because it's silver) Turbo suede seat, new Nitto RM 014 bars. The fork was made by Eric Noren at Peacock Groove. He helped build the original frame back in 1993. Eric had the LD stem made by Joel at Clockwork. The rims are new DT Swiss that Eric had painted to match the frame.

mtbr member
    Those rims are amazing. Whole bike is amazing, but the rims are something else.

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by hegstad1 View Post
    I got the Croll out for a shake-down ride. I will post more pictures when I get some of the details finished up. It has garbage shifters on it and cheap bar tape. I also want a different cable hanger up front. As it stands, it has XTR 900 brakes, hubs, and derailleurs, Ultergra tricolor brake levers, Cook Bros. Cranks, XT pedals, XTR 910 seat post (because it's silver) Turbo suede seat, new Nitto RM 014 bars. The fork was made by Eric Noren at Peacock Groove. He helped build the original frame back in 1993. Eric had the LD stem made by Joel at Clockwork. The rims are new DT Swiss that Eric had painted to match the frame.
    So ugly it's cool!

Maybe it's the camera angle...but that saddle looks pointed down?
    -eric-

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy View Post
    So ugly it's cool!

Maybe it's the camera angle...but that saddle looks pointed down?
    The saddle is level with the earth! The frame has a sloping top tube which makes the seat look titled down, at least from that angle. I have the seat tipped back as far is it will go.

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by hegstad1 View Post
    The saddle is level with the earth! The frame has a sloping top tube which makes the seat look titled down, at least from that angle. I have the seat tipped back as far is it will go.
    Gotcha!

If you have the saddle tilted all the way back and it's still ever so slightly facing down (or you can't get it to point up at all), the cradle might be in backwards. I made that mistake with an XT post and I think the XTR is similar.
    If the saddle is level and it's just the pic, then you're golden.
    -eric-

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Gotcha!

If you have the saddle tilted all the way back and it's still ever so slightly facing down (or you can't get it to point up at all), the cradle might be in backwards. I made that mistake with an XT post and I think the XTR is similar.
    If the saddle is level and it's just the pic, then you're golden.

Damn, you might be right. I've done that before too. I'll check but it's still pretty close.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015

Bridgestone MB-3

Here is my Bridgestone. I just recently converted it to dirt drops--Specialized WTB RM-2. It's a ton of fun! Here it is on my first ride:

The single consolidated official drop bar thread-image.jpgThe single consolidated official drop bar thread-image.jpgThe single consolidated official drop bar thread-image.jpg

I know, I know, amateur with the non drive side photo...

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Hi, a new project:

and

Philippe

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by Wissahickon View Post
    Here is my Bridgestone. I just recently converted it to dirt drops--Specialized WTB RM-2. It's a ton of fun! Here it is on my first ride:
    Sano build there! RM-2's are great. How'd you feel about it after the first ride? I was sold after mine.

Hi, a new project:

Philippe
    Ibis and an LD...good things coming there!
    -eric-

mtbr member
    Here is my Bridgestone. I just recently converted it to dirt drops--Specialized WTB RM-2.
    That reminds me that I've never posted my MB-3 in this thread. Sadly nothing is period-correct except for the headset, but it's all super comfy anyway.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    [QUOTE=Rumpfy;12629207]Sano build there! RM-2's are great. How'd you feel about it after the first ride? I was sold after mine.

Thankss Rumpfy! I must admit, I had a blast riding the RM-2s. For a while I was looking at the other drop bar choices like the Nitto rm-3, salsa's woodchipper, onone midge, etc. but ultimately decided on waiting for the RM-2 to present themselves. Once I got a chance, I jumped on the opportunity to acquire them and I'm glad I did.

The single consolidated official drop bar thread-image.jpgThe single consolidated official drop bar thread-image.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    That reminds me that I've never posted my MB-3 in this thread. Sadly nothing is period-correct except for the headset, but it's all super comfy anyway.

Nice Bridgestone! What year is that? What kind of drops did you use?

mtbr remember

A couple from RacerX09 line up

I have since sold the Litespeed, but I have a few.

Right now I am riding an older Bianchi, really neat lugged triple butted frame. I have put on some newer, lighter wheels.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The single consolidated official drop bar thread-hiwassee-2.jpg  

The single consolidated official drop bar thread-bianchi-drive.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Nice Bridgestone! What year is that? What kind of drops did you use?
    '85 based on the catalogs on Sheldon Brown's site, and a midge. They go together very nicely.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Hi,

Philippe

Thread Killer
    For the past few years, I've had a bit of a wacky idea rolling around my head. After being exposed to the idea of a 'ratrod' bike and falling in love with the 50's aesthetic, I got thinking about parlaying that whole concept onto a MTB. My biggest concern is not whether I could, but whether I should. So, can anyone comment on the riding geometry of a 'swoopy' beach cruiser or towny with drop bars and 26" MTB tires?
    I ride a 26'er with tubes and rim brakes.
    Yeah, I'm basically living in the stone age.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by bucksaw87 View Post
    For the past few years, I've had a bit of a wacky idea rolling around my head. After being exposed to the idea of a 'ratrod' bike and falling in love with the 50's aesthetic, I got thinking about parlaying that whole concept onto a MTB. My biggest concern is not whether I could, but whether I should. So, can anyone comment on the riding geometry of a 'swoopy' beach cruiser or towny with drop bars and 26" MTB tires?
    I have also fell in love with 50's style and have built a couple "klunkers." Both from Schwinn cantilever frames, and also have a couple other tank bikes in the works. Problems you might have: the rear ends on these things are super long, not playful, do not handle well imo. The top tubes on these things tend to be long as they are designed for swoop back cruiser handle bars, will be a problem if you are a shorter rider. I use american to euro bottom bracket converter in mine to run standard mtn bike cranks. I have also spread the rear dropouts apart to 135mm and run cheap sunrace derailleur hanger to run gears with no problems. 1 other thing to note, the seat tubes are really skinny, you'll have to shim the front derailleur and cable stop (if needed) witch is actually trickier than it sounds (they like to move). I use plumbers strap, worked for the derailleur, couldn't get the cable stop to quit moving. A derailleur that runs full length cable housing would fix this.

Stokeless Asshat
    A fun little Blurb from Soma.
    Soma Feed: Dirt Drops (What, Why & How)
    Zip ties? Not on my bike!

Want:
    650B rims or wheel set. 80's vintage 32 or 36 x 135mm

mtbr member
    Bottom line: Papa Charlie is a badass.

Stokeless Asshat
    Agreed.
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleCentury View Post
    Bottom line: Papa Charlie is a badass.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Want:

artistic...
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff View Post
    A fun little Blurb from Soma.
    Soma Feed: Dirt Drops (What, Why & How)
    soooo trendy i felt like i should buy a new wardrobe to go w/ so much attitude.
    Benedict who? Why is he next to Cunningham who invented so many things? Because of the tats and beard?

gobsmacked Moderator
    I think it's a bro thing. The whole skidding thing annoys me. Love the drop bar love though.

Stokeless Asshat
    I'm all about the humor. You're mileage may vary.

Want:

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Hi, IBIS 1989

Philippe

artistic...
    Hi, IBIS 1989

Philippe
    WANT.
    Sooo cool.
    Magical.
    Beautifill.
    Top five favourite bikes.

-bustin punks
    Before it's gone:

Plan to hit the new Waterloo Rec Area trails with it this weekend though. Rumor has it they are skinny tire friendly.

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fatchanceti View Post
    Before it's gone:

Plan to hit the new Waterloo Rec Area trails with it this weekend though. Rumor has it they are skinny tire friendly.
    Really nice bike.
    A garage full of steel frames means happiness.

-bustin punks
    Thanks. It's headed out to the new owner this week. It will be well travelled.

VRC Illuminati
    Hi, IBIS 1989
    Philippe
    Nice one there!
    -eric-

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Here's my first attempt at a drop bar mountain bike. I just finished it last night, so i only have a day's commute to base my first impression on. It seems very well mannered, but we'll see how it behaves when pushed. Hopefully it'll see some dirt tomorrow night.

VRC Illuminati
    Hope the ride report is better than Speckles. Visually came out terrific!
    -eric-

gobsmacked Moderator
    Hi, IBIS 1989

Philippe
    That is really beautiful. What levers are those?

Quote Originally Posted by LeeDumler View Post
    Here's my first attempt at a drop bar mountain bike. I just finished it last night, so i only have a day's commute to base my first impression on. It seems very well mannered, but we'll see how it behaves when pushed. Hopefully it'll see some dirt tomorrow night.

Rumpfy's new best friend! Great looking frameset.

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    Rumpfy's new best friend! Great looking frameset.
    The guy built a drop bar Otis and we're workin' on putting together a killer vintage ride for everyone...he's ok by me!
    -eric-

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Salut,
    Modolo
    Philippe

mtbr member
    May 2014
    The guy built a drop bar Otis and we're workin' on putting together a killer vintage ride for everyone...he's ok by me!
    So is it time to let the cat out of the bag then? Should our gathering of the VRC nerds get it's own thread now?

artistic...

That looks well sorted out and i like how you placed the brake levers low on the hbar. I see most of the time dirt drops w/ brake levers like it was a road bike and it bugs me.
    back to your bike.. you can even raise that stem so you can rock the technical and steep w/out fear.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Eric, I know I haven't met any of you yet, but this will be a good chance. BTW, though you've probably heard, this Saturday there's a bike swap in Petaluma (Bruce Gordon bikes). I talked to Paul Sadoff and he's bringing an old rigid fork for my Lobster, not sure but there might be other like minded folk. Oh and damn that OG is an elegant one. Cheers and I'll keep my eye out for the ride, north Bay Area I suppose, didn't you do one at China Camp in 2010 (yes I trolled your photos, they're just too nice and envy inducing!). Cheers, Ben

VRC Illuminati
    So is it time to let the cat out of the bag then? Should our gathering of the VRC nerds get it's own thread now?
    Definitely. You want to start it or shall I?

Quote Originally Posted by colker1 View Post
    That looks well sorted out and i like how you placed the brake levers low on the hbar. I see most of the time dirt drops w/ brake levers like it was a road bike and it bugs me.
    back to your bike.. you can even raise that stem so you can rock the technical and steep w/out fear.
    Brake levers too high is another common setup mistake...but not so here. Looks like his saddle to top of bar ratio is just about right too...might not need to raise that stem very much (if at all).
    -eric-

mtbr member
    May 2015
    My commuter / light touring / all around fun bike...

The single consolidated official drop bar thread-20160720_191433.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Definitely. You want to start it or shall I?
    I think I'll let you take that on. Seems like you might have a bit more clout around these parts than I do.

Back on topic, I took the OG out for its first thrashing tonight. We did our typical Wednesday night loop, which I like to call the "Everything Bagel" because you get it all in a 10 mile spin. There's a rocky fire road grind which leads to a flowy single track up to the peak. Next comes the biker built DH run called "Hitler", followed by the "no pedal zone", a tight, twisty single track with no real elevation drop that can be navigated without pedaling. Last is the tech section, which is loaded with hairpins, log hops, makeshift bridges and steep, loamy sweepers.

Ride report is overall very positive. The frame lacks the responsive feel of some of my faster bikes, but it makes up for it in ride quality ten fold. You really have to manhandle it when you get it up to speed. It climbs like a monster though. I was able to clear the steepest stuff I could point it down, even with the stem as low as it is.

Bottom of Hitler. Made it down just fine...

Aside from snapping my bottle cage.

The weekly ride's weekly bike pile.

And the crew...

Including a friend who knows a thing or two about ripping it up on a drop bar rig.

I think the takeaway here that is sticking with me the most is that, as much as I enjoy this bike, I want to build something better. I picked the OG for my build because I thought a more "traditional" Marin County bike would compliment the drops best. After seeing how they stack up to other handlebar setups, I think that they would be just as well suited to a slightly more aggressive and contemporary bike. Something with a shorter rear end, a slacker front end and a slightly taller BB and axle to crown height. I'm thinking mid 90's Ala Carte or something of the sort.

artistic...
    nice ibis... curious about the ride of those szasbos.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by colker1 View Post
    nice ibis... curious about the ride of those szasbos.
    That's my friend Steve's bike. He's owned three of them over the years, plus a Bow Ti. I haven't ridden it yet, but he loves it. He says it's more plush than you'd expect a URT bike to be, and upgrading to a shock with a platform damper made it almost as good as his modern full suspension Giant Anthem. He sold the Giant, and now has an Ibis Mojo 3 on order.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast