Ambivalent Luddite

SID XC travel change question

2001 SID XC travel change question

Tried this in the Shocks & Suspension & rec'd no response, thought I'd try it here.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Just picked up a SID and need to know if I change the travel from 80mm to 63mm will this decrease the axle to crown distance by 17mm? (that would be good).

If yes, do I need the "All Travel Spacer" or is it already installed & just needs to be inverted or changed somehow?

Thanks for any help with this, I'm moving from rigid and I'm not familiar with these forks. I ran a Judy for a few years back but those were pretty basic.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Dude View Post
    2001 SID XC travel change question

Tried this in the Shocks & Suspension & rec'd no response, thought I'd try it here.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Just picked up a SID and need to know if I change the travel from 80mm to 63mm will this decrease the axle to crown distance by 17mm? (that would be good).

If yes, do I need the "All Travel Spacer" or is it already installed & just needs to be inverted or changed somehow?

Thanks for any help with this, I'm moving from rigid and I'm not familiar with these forks. I ran a Judy for a few years back but those were pretty basic.

Thanks
    Yes, you will reduce a-c measurement by 17mm, from 451mm to 434mm. From what I understand, you need to install/add the all-travel spacers to do this. (ie.: If it currently measures 451, then they are not installed.) They supposedly came in a bag with the original fork, and people usually discarded them.

Attached is a useful chart I found recently, while wrestling with the same questions for the same fork.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    We still hang bike thieves in Wyoming [Pedal House]

Ambivalent Luddite
    Thanks iamkeith

Now the search is on for an all travel spacer.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Try the fork at 80mm with 30% sag. It will get you very close to the actual A-C of a 63mm fork with minimal (ie 10%) sag the way the old school 63mm forks used to work. 17mm change in A-C (less when you take sag into account) will not adversely affect the handling of your average old school ride as the head angles will be fairly steep and you'll only be changing things by around 0.5-0.8 degrees.

If the fork works for you with 30% sag then all good. If you get harsh bottoming then you will need to install the spacer under the air piston rod seal head and put more pressure in the fork. You can see the air rod in the pictures of my disassembled SID race here.

Also, the 80mm fork will not magically snap your head tube off the frame or any other BS old wives tale related to using a longer fork. Indeed a better fork, even with longer travel, will place less strain on your frame that some ancient elastomer based jack-hammer (or any rigid fork).