mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Short sleeve wool jerseys make sense?

Someone gave me a gift of a short sleeve Ibex cycling jersey, and I can't help but think it's redundant. I know it's 18.5 micron Merino, but if it's that chilly wouldn't you want a longsleeve wool jersey (doesn't have to be cycling specific like my Icebreaker Tech Top zip)?

Or is a s/s lightweight wool practical on days when temps are cooler?

I guess you could wear arm warmers, but if it's that warm to shed the armwarmers then wool would probably be too hot, right? I'm a beliver in Merino, but the idea of short sleeve Merino jerseys is foreign to me.

VRC Illuminati
    I think some people swear by riding in wool jerseys...regardless of outside temp.

Probably best for those 'tweener' days. Start with arm warmers, then you'll have a base jersey that will keep you warm enough.
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com

Wanted: 400mm American Classic seatpost, 26.8 & 27.2

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Wool jerseys are awesome! I have one and I wear it all the time. As long as the weather isn't really hot, they rock. They are warm in winter too. I just chuck on a windstopper jacket if it's too chilly.

And, wool dosn't stink like the acrylic knitted or polyetser ones do. You can wear it for a week before washing it. Merino wool is great against the skin too.

dis member

Would have been great today in the Demo

My wool jerseys are the most temperature-flexible I own. If I don't know what the weather is going to be like, I grab a wool jersey.

IVMTB & VMBEFG Illuminati
    wools maintains your tempeture better than any synthetic material out there. wicks sweat better too. you've heard the term "wool sweater" so many times you've come to believe that wool is a cold weather material. not so. wear it and soon it will be your favorite jersey. soon enough you'll be buying more of them.

JORBA: Six Mile Run
    I wear my wool Jersey in the Summer, I feel that wool is better than coolmax.

mtbr member
    I have a short sleeve wool blend jersey (not 100%) I wear it even on 90 degree days. Its the most comforable jersey I've ever worn. Sometimes I even wear it as a shirt.

mtbr member
    Dood,
    Short sleeve wool jerseys are the dumbest idea I've ever heard of, specially Ibex.
    Their stuff is all crap.
    Tell ya what.
    I'll do you a favor and take that piece of crap off your hands.
    I'll even send ya some $ to cover postage.
    BTW, what size is it?
    Lenny

bonked
    Quote Originally Posted by Veloculture
    wools maintains your tempeture better than any synthetic material out there. wicks sweat better too. you've heard the term "wool sweater" so many times you've come to believe that wool is a cold weather material.

So very true. It is by far the best natural material too. It wicks better than any other material and dries quicker. Ever heard the phrase "Cotton kills in the backcountry." That is because cotton gets wet and stays wet and does not insulate at all. When you get wet and get chilled you get hypothermic. When you get wet and it is warm out you just feel yucky. Wool gets wet, insulated better while wet, dried quickly and breaths very well.

You're also better off with some nice smartwool cycling socks too.
    Last edited by IF52; 10-18-2006 at 12:05 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by banks
    That is one big f'n dude!
    Yes I am!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Okaaaaay, guess I'll keep the short sleeve jersey.
    I do love my longsleeve ibex and icebreaker tops, but it's a little easier to decide if it's the right weather to wear the longer sleeves. I've never worn merino when it's above 70d. I wear my black l/s Icebreaker top several times per week.

Ibex has a great warranty: no questions asked replacement! Oh, it's a medium in their blue/silver.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    I have been wearing the various Ibex "T shirts" with their sleeveless undershirt under my bibs all summer in all temps into the 90s. They are an even lighter weight wool than the cycling jerseys. Been tough to wear anything else on or off the bike
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Love my Spot Brand wool jerseys and arm warmers. Warm or cold.

I think the key with wool jerseys is to not get a blend, 100 % merino wool only. Seems any of the mixes don't feel as nice, sometimes itch. Blends are good for shorts or warmers.
    Eric-
    2 heart attacks & still turning the cranks.
    https://twitter.com/heartattackride

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    There's one on ebay, in case anyone is interested.

Former Bike Wrench

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Wool Convert

I was having skin "issues" from synthetic jerseys...not to mention they stink (and I have to use fragrance-free detergent) even after washing them.

I got my first wool jersey two years ago and its all I wear now!

They breathe and wick much better (I never feel sweaty). They don't stink (well, my Fox one kind of does when it gets wet in the winter...but its a different stink). And best of all, they don't cause skin breakouts because they wick so well. I also picked up some wool arm warmers and love them just as well!

Check out this place for custom jerseys
    http://www.portlandcyclewear.com/woolcyclingjersey.html

mtbr member

pilling?

Guys, I've been loving wool Swobo and Spot jersey's for months of road riding. Now I'm wearing them off road with hydration pack. The pack is cause wool to pill in the shoulder area after just a few rides. I'm worried my favourite jersey's are going to die and early death if I keep this up. Your experiences?

I love the anti-smell factor and warm-when-wet of wool, but I'm thinking I've got to switch back to regular jerseys for the summer mtb season.