mtbr member
    May 2013

Shogun MTB's...any followers?

Greetings all..
    Just wondering if there are any Shogun "fans" lurking; I have collected quite a few over the last couple of years (have most of the MTB range from 1988 except for a TB-I..all have the U brake behind the BB). Even better if anyone has any catalogues from the late 80's+ ? If you have any, post a pic! Thanks

Phobia of petting zoos.
    Oct 2005
    Shoguns always seem to come my way.

My first singlespeed experiment was a Shogun Trailbreaker. Frame was a kerbside clean up pile.

Second Shogun was a Samurai road bike that was a $10 bargain. I rebuilt it with STIs and gave it to a mate of mine to see if he liked road riding. He did, and it got a few upgrades along the way. When he finally upgraded to a nice piece of Italian steel, the Shogun got relegated to commuter duties where it continues to serve him well.

Third Shogun was a Metro, also a rubbish pile find. Rebuilt that with various spare parts and gave it away to a buddy of the aforementioned mate of mine who wanted to get into riding. The bike came up pretty nice for a bitsa and apparently it's also well loved.

Shoguns are one of those brands that gave a lot of value for money. Dunno if I'd call myself a 'fan' but I appreciate them for the honest, workingman's bikes that they are.

Grumps

mtbr member
    I had a friend who had an old pink Shogun road bike, with a "GT" triple triangle before GT did. Construction quality was good, It rode really nice, if I recall.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    High end Shogun bikes were all made in Japan whereas the lower end in Taiwan. Its a shame most of the ones I come across here have all been left out in the weather and are rooted. Had a TB III that was stolen when I was 13; didn't get a chance to enjoy it as it was stolen when it was newish. Exage Mountain group, rode so well. Is info available in the US for Shogun's? Been searching with no luck to find some sort of info

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I used to have a purple/pink Shogun road bike that I bought at a garage sale for $5. I converted it to a single speed and it was a fine commuter until my son had a collision with a car on it. My son was fine the the frame was destroyed, alas.

Currently have I have Shogun Easy Street hybrid of uncertain vintage. It's mechanically sound but I keep it ugly because it's the bike I park in the rack at the train station. I was thinking of doing a cosmetic restoration on it over the winter.