mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Serotta T-Max - Need fork suggestions

I picked up a Serotta T-max from a guy I had met. It was too small for him and I had picked up a Norco Team that was too big for me. Ended up as a match made in heaven.

Now I am trying to figure out what fork I can run on the T-max and had it be close to original.

***Note - if anyone has one that they are not using I would love love love to have an original fork for it*****

Since I am guessing the above pursuit to be a little needle in the haystackish (although you guys have definitely surprised me in the past by what you have laying around), I am wondering what would be a good option for it.

Serotta T-Max - Need fork suggestions-wp_20150223_08_39_59_pro.jpg

This logic visually (other than the red of course) doesn't look too bad from a axle to crown and rake perspective. I would like it to be as close to the original geometry as possible so would love some ideas on what the original fork may have had Axle to Crown and Rake wise as well as if you know some more readily available forks that would make those measures.

Thanks in advance!!

The Crazy Cat Lady of VRC
    Those are cool frames...I'd have kept the one I dug up, but it was too big...sent it North to live with Mendon.

I kind of wish I'd kept the fork, and cut the steerer down to my size...I'm a sucker for anything with Campagnolo drop outs.

Steve

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Been busy, keep meaning to measure that thing for you.

All this aside, the OE forks are about as uninspired as a Kleenex box. I'd even go so far as to say they picked them up from a supplier somewhere.

Not that the frames were works of art in terms of fancy this or that, they are indeed, damn fine workhorses from a storied builder. It's just that the forks have no flair at all. The bottom end of the steerer where it meets the legs at the crown? Flat cut, and slightly extended below the leg tubes. Not even a curved cut, or flush for that matter.

I was kind of surprised. When I was selling them, sus forks were coming on strong, so I never saw a rigid one till the one I got from Steve.

Frankly, I think, unless the a2c is all wrong, that Logic is likely a better choice unless you're going for flat out originality.

The fork builder? Channeling/paraphrasing a quote from Mr. Hogget? "That'll do fork, that'll do.....
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

artistic...
    Build the bike w/ ritchey stuff, beginning w/ one of their nitto/ logic seatposts and tehn stem, hbar, crankset, brakes, tires.. that would be one cool build.
    WTB: Bomber Z2 1 1/8 steerer, in good to excellent shape OR bomber rebuild kit.

Quote Originally Posted by colker1 View Post
    Build the bike w/ ritchey stuff, that would be one cool build.
    Agreed.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Okay, so 400 mm a2c, and here's a pic. Tell me if I'm just being hyper critical, but after years of looking at gorgeous fork crowns from all over, the only thing this has going for it is Columbus blades and Campy drops....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Serotta T-Max - Need fork suggestions-unnamed.jpg  

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    - Perfect feedback on that fork and it makes me feel better that I don't have it. I will measure the fork options I have around. I actually ending up finding a Tange one in purple that may be a Logic as well or it may be the fork off of a 91 MB4. Since it matches so well color wise I will likely go with until I find an original some day.

As far as build goes, torn at the moment. I think I might just do full m900 other than shifters and levers as I have quite a bit of it kicking around.....

Thanks as always for the help fellas....

Glad to help, not often I can do so!

My build is total wabi sabi. A bit of Suntour, a bit of Shimano, old ass Campy hoops, mixed generations, mixed groups, basically, bottom of the parts bin projectile vomit!

Rides like a nice steel Serotta though, thus proving the frame is the heart of any ride, anyway....

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Sometimes frankly those are my favorite builds...... I can of course all but hear the groans from the rest of the folks reading the thread but I am no purist. I error on the side of bullet proof, functional, and fun....

Got a full picture of it by chance?

Not great, but it gives you a flavor for it....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Serotta T-Max - Need fork suggestions-unnamed-4.jpg  

Serotta T-Max - Need fork suggestions-unnamed-3.jpg  

Serotta T-Max - Need fork suggestions-unnamed-2.jpg  

Serotta T-Max - Need fork suggestions-unnamed-1.jpg  

Serotta T-Max - Need fork suggestions-unnamed-6.jpg  

Serotta T-Max - Need fork suggestions-unnamed-5.jpg  

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I like it. I am anxious to get mine built up into something cool but it will be a little while before I get anything really going on it. Trying to see if Chris King has some conversion parts for one of their no logo headsets and until I get those parts or figure out I can't I won't be making any progress on mine. I did get it mocked up with the purple fork I picked up and that matches well and AtC seems good on it. Will likely run with that fork till I stumble on a stock one sometime.

Weird question, on the back of the top tube where it meets the seat tube, is there anything written? Mine is kind of neat in that it says Spaceman Spiff on mine and it is under the clear. Being a Calvin and Hobbes fan back in the day, that was pretty cool to see on it......

Quote Originally Posted by datmony View Post
    Weird question, on the back of the top tube where it meets the seat tube, is there anything written? Mine is kind of neat in that it says Spaceman Spiff on mine and it is under the clear. Being a Calvin and Hobbes fan back in the day, that was pretty cool to see on it......
    Nothing on mine. Gotta like custom, you can end up with some pretty awesome eccentricities like that.

Calvin? Love Calvin. I credit my sons ivy league vocabulary by 3rd grade quite heavily on the hours we spent reading the books....

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Yea it is kind of cool. I was stoked when I saw it and actually had not even thought about Calvin and Hobbes for years until I saw it. Funny the statement you make about your son because right as I saw it I started thinking how those will be a ton of fun to read to my daughter, she is 20 months old now and loves books best of anything......

I would definitely love it if that is a one of detail to this frame.....

SOOOO many hours on the couch reading to him. Was a sad day when he was no longer interested, gotta say.

Read All the Calvin and Hobbes books we could find, the Laura Ingalls Wilder series, all the James Herriot books, Robinson Crusoe, Swiss family Robinson, the list goes on. Once he discovered he could consume Harry Potter, et al, all by himslef, I kinda paled by comparison though.

Never be afraid to read above their pay grade. Sure, age appropriate is good too, but bigger words and longer stories just make them hunger for more.

Nothing like leaving them hanging at the end of a chapter, to make them come back to books again and again...

Never seen words on a Serotta that weren't there by request. You got a cool one off for sure!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I sadly know that day is coming, and it makes me sad to even think about. I definitely hear you about reading beyond them..... amazing what they can absorb and how much challenging them accelerates their learning. I am blown away daily by all the things my daughter is learning and exploring, much of it far beyond what I would have assumed she would be able to comprehend.

She is only 20 months, so we are doing a lot of Dr Seuss at the moment. It is going to be fun to start revisiting a lot of the things I read when I was younger in partnership with her.

We had some trees fall back in late October that crushed my garage so all of my fun project time has been moved in the house. It has had the most amazing effect, since it is no longer in the garage with omnipresent dangerous crap, she has become my constant helper on bike projects since that is all I have to do at the moment with all automotive stuff put on hold until the house is rebuilt. I can already see that she loves to understand how things work so I am showing her tools and how to use them and then have her come in with her plastic screw driver and pliers in hand to "fix stuff". It is absolutely priceless when she says "I help??" and "Bike bike, bike".

I just talked to Chris King again today and they are going to look to see if they have the conversion kits I need for the older headset I am trying to run. Hopefully they will have what I am hoping for and I can run the older headset in it and get started. I have nearly all of the m900 I want on it..... just missing a couple small pieces. Hoping it is pretty sweet when it is done.

Mine (who now can't help do a damn thing unless pried off the couch first, 21 year old college kids, I tell ya) was always willing to help, Hand him a rag and some Simple Green, and he'd clean and polish bikes till the cows came home.

Enjoy the helper stage, it'll go away eventually

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Lordie don't I know it. I have a single goal in mind...... sometime later in her life I want her to smell Phil grease and have memories of childhood flood back.

Ha! Here's hoping for you

Mine, yeah, great kid, doing good things, but don't get me started about biking and that boy...

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com