Results 1 to 44 of 44
  1. #1
    All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Reputation: MendonCycleSmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    15,025

    Serotta built Jamis(s)??

    So I was reading this, http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Jamis-Da...3A1%7C294%3A50

    I've never heard this, there's no substantiation, anyone heard that Serotta ever built anything for anyone, beyond say, Fat?

    I know they farmed out to a chosen few, but Jamis? I sell 'em, so that'd be cool with me, but really?

    Just curious
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

    - FrostyStruthers



    www.mendoncyclesmith.com

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fillet-brazed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,696
    they built one of the early Girvin Pro Flex bikes.

    not sure about Jamis. Wouldn't be too surprised.

  3. #3
    gobsmacked Moderator
    Reputation: girlonbike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    8,582
    So if moderators start outing stuff, can we?

  4. #4
    All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Reputation: MendonCycleSmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    15,025
    Quote Originally Posted by sfgirlonbike
    So if moderators start outing stuff, can we?
    Good call, I've been busted.

    As long as you don't make fun of it once it's posted as VRC by whomever buys it

    I figured it's being a Jamis made it fairly safe to put out there, also not exactly a bargain, ooooh, Acera X Parallax front wheel
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

    - FrostyStruthers



    www.mendoncyclesmith.com

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: gm1230126's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    2,970
    Serrota built 7/11 Team bikes labeled as HUFFY(s) also.
    Needed: 26.8mm XTR seatpost, blue GT/Grundig Jersey.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: djmuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    725
    That doesn't sound right to me, but I'm just going with my gut, not basing it on any facts. A steel Jamis should be Taiwanese or China, or something like it, not built by Serotta. Hopefully someone will chime in with the info.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    671
    Don't know, but aren't both Jamis and Serrota based in the NYC area?

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    186
    Quote Originally Posted by gm1230126
    Serrota built 7/11 Team bikes labeled as HUFFY(s) also.
    A very serious roadie friend of mine has one of those Huffy bikes. Never thought I would say it, but that Huffy is NICE.

  9. #9
    JmZ
    JmZ is offline
    Reformed Lurker
    Reputation: JmZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,027
    I thought I remembered hearing of Teesdale doing some stuff for Jamis, but don't remember anything about Serotta.

    He's got some of the history on his site. But no mention of the Dakar.

    JmZ
    JmZ

    From one flat land to another.

    Advocate as if your ride depends on it...

  10. #10
    All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Reputation: MendonCycleSmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    15,025
    Quote Originally Posted by JmZ
    I thought I remembered hearing of Teesdale doing some stuff for Jamis,
    I do recall a guy at the shop I used to work at 15 or so years ago, had one built by Teesdale, now that you mention it.

    Fos'l- Jamis is based in New Jersey, so close, but still 6+ hours away, not exactly neighbors....

    GM/Corprin, Yep, been to their facility, seen the Huffys on the wall. Pretty funny really. You'd have thought they'd have learned from their elbow rub with greatness, no?
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

    - FrostyStruthers



    www.mendoncyclesmith.com

  11. #11
    banned
    Reputation: Jerk_Chicken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    16,466
    Jamis is in NJ.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    671
    MCS Thanks for the correction; my only excuse is that I'm extrapolating from CA.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    50
    Serotta also built titanium road frames for Schwinn a few years back:
    The Schwinn Paramount Titanium
    So why not also steel frames for jamis?

  14. #14
    All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Reputation: MendonCycleSmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    15,025
    Quote Originally Posted by fos'l
    MCS Thanks for the correction; my only excuse is that I'm extrapolating from CA.
    Not intended as a correction. I read your words as open ended. Just adding my bit to the collective knowledge.

    Yeah, CA is way farther than 6 hours.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

    - FrostyStruthers



    www.mendoncyclesmith.com

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    33
    I asked this once before also. I had a 1993 Jamis Dakar fully rigid steel (Ritchey logic) that had Serrota stamped on the chainstays. I was never able to get the full scoop. Best bike I ever had. 19.5" and 20 lbs.

  16. #16
    Stokeless Asshat
    Reputation: jeff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,322
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakar97
    I asked this once before also. I had a 1993 Jamis Dakar fully rigid steel (Ritchey logic) that had Serrota stamped on the chainstays. I was never able to get the full scoop. Best bike I ever had. 19.5" and 20 lbs.
    That just might answer the op's question right there.

  17. #17
    All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Reputation: MendonCycleSmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    15,025
    Curious. So the bike had stays with Serotta on them. I'll assume for arguments sake that's the case with our eBay friend too. You don't recall any other info on the bike, stickers, stamps etc? I'll wander around and see if I can find any '93 Jamis info....
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

    - FrostyStruthers



    www.mendoncyclesmith.com

  18. #18
    JmZ
    JmZ is offline
    Reformed Lurker
    Reputation: JmZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,027
    MCS - did Serotta do dropouts ala Ritchey or PMW? Selling them as frame parts?

    Just a thought, might explain the stamp even if they were not made there.

    JmZ
    JmZ

    From one flat land to another.

    Advocate as if your ride depends on it...

  19. #19
    All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Reputation: MendonCycleSmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    15,025
    Quote Originally Posted by JmZ
    MCS - did Serotta do dropouts

    Later on they did, 3D's and the like. I don't know about earlier. Just checked my Atlanta, and it has pretty average drops on it.

    I just sent a note to Serotta (novel idea!) We'll see what they have to say, and if they'll still cop to it in an age of building primarily $12K carbon/unobtanium lawyers bikes.....
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

    - FrostyStruthers



    www.mendoncyclesmith.com

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    33
    I would be intereste to see what you find out from Serrotta. When I purchased my bike new all the Dakars had Serrotta on the chainstays. It was not mentioned in the manual or brochure. (Ithink I still have my '93 catolog?). Either way its a great bike. I was able to cross it over as the geometry made for a comfortable road bike.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fillet-brazed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,696
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakar97
    I would be intereste to see what you find out from Serrotta. When I purchased my bike new all the Dakars had Serrotta on the chainstays. It was not mentioned in the manual or brochure. (Ithink I still have my '93 catolog?). Either way its a great bike. I was able to cross it over as the geometry made for a comfortable road bike.

    if you could give us some detail shots of the frame we could probably at least determine if it was made in the Orient.

  22. #22
    All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Reputation: MendonCycleSmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    15,025
    And we have an answer, sort of...

    Serotta did indeed build for them. He wasn't forthcoming with info beyond that they did, and that they don't advertise the fact. He did in fact say that they built for a number of others, beyond Fat, Jamis, Huffy. Didn't say who, but there you have it.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

    - FrostyStruthers



    www.mendoncyclesmith.com

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fillet-brazed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,696
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith
    And we have an answer, sort of...

    Serotta did indeed build for them. He wasn't forthcoming with info beyond that they did, and that they don't advertise the fact. He did in fact say that they built for a number of others, beyond Fat, Jamis, Huffy. Didn't say who, but there you have it.

    Nice job. Girvin was another.

    I'm sure he made some personal bikes for pros back in the day too that got sponsors' decals instead of Serotta decals.

  24. #24
    All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Reputation: MendonCycleSmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    15,025
    Quote Originally Posted by Fillet-brazed
    I'm sure he made some personal bikes for pros back in the day too that got sponsors' decals instead of Serotta decals.
    Kinda like Dario Pegoretti. Yeah, I'd list pics of my Big Leg Emma (friggin HOT bike), but it'd burn the eyes of too many MTB only enthusiasts
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

    - FrostyStruthers



    www.mendoncyclesmith.com

  25. #25
    Stokeless Asshat
    Reputation: jeff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,322
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith
    Kinda like Dario Pegoretti. Yeah, I'd list pics of my Big Leg Emma (friggin HOT bike), but it'd burn the eyes of too many MTB only enthusiasts
    Bring it on....

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fillet-brazed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,696
    <img src="http://i.ebayimg.com/13/!BVFdt5Q!Wk~$(KGrHgoH-C8EjlLl3wEGBKQtlOiNZQ~~_1.JPG">

    <img src="http://i.ebayimg.com/18/!BVFdusw!mk~$(KGrHgoH-EIEjlLlecF0BKQtlRl3g!~~_1.JPG">

  27. #27
    All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Reputation: MendonCycleSmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    15,025
    Quote Originally Posted by Fillet-brazed
    <img src="http://i.ebayimg.com/13/!BVFdt5Q!Wk~$(KGrHgoH-C8EjlLl3wEGBKQtlOiNZQ~~_1.JPG">

    <img src="http://i.ebayimg.com/18/!BVFdusw!mk~$(KGrHgoH-EIEjlLlecF0BKQtlRl3g!~~_1.JPG">
    Well lookey there

    Cool, where'd that come from, or would that require outing?

    Nice work, I feel better now.....
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

    - FrostyStruthers



    www.mendoncyclesmith.com

  28. #28
    Witty McWitterson
    Reputation: ~martini~'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5,037
    screw the anti-road bikeism! I love me some BLE! poast up mcs!
    Just a regular guy.

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,395

    Serotta

    Serotta made road frames for the Davis Phinney brand, also. I think there were even a few MTB's, because I recall seeing Phinney himself riding a steel MTB with his name on it back in the 90's. The MTB could have been made by someone else, but Serotta definitely made road frames for his brand.

    We'll probably see Taylor Phinney bikes at some point if he keeps progressing like he has. Maybe Serotta can make those, too.

    Also, Serotta definitely made Titanium Schwinn Paramounts in '99 and 2000, but the steel Paramounts from that era were made by Tim Issac.

  30. #30
    All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Reputation: MendonCycleSmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    15,025
    Quote Originally Posted by ~martini~
    screw the anti-road bikeism! I love me some BLE! poast up mcs!

    Jeff and Martini, just for you, and anyone else brave enough to accept Darios work as possibly the coolest steel road bike ever

    Mix is fully eclectic, and doesn't follow any theme beyond european (save the King and Ritchey stuff...) When I get the dough, I'll do a sweet kit on her, but she cost me dearly as it is (used even), but I had to have it, you know how it is

    By far the most polite, well mannered roady I've thrown a leg over, you can do a Luke Skywalker on this thing, close your eyes, and steer just using the Force

    And yeah, Emma's got some fat ass legs!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by MendonCycleSmith; 06-26-2009 at 04:11 PM. Reason: forgot pics
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

    - FrostyStruthers



    www.mendoncyclesmith.com

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fillet-brazed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,696
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith
    Jeff and Martini, just for you, and anyone else brave enough to accept Darios work as possibly the coolest steel road bike ever

    Mix is fully eclectic, and doesn't follow any theme beyond european (save the King and Ritchey stuff...) When I get the dough, I'll do a sweet kit on her, but she cost me dearly as it is (used even), but I had to have it, you know how it is

    By far the most polite, well mannered roady I've thrown a leg over, you can do a Luke Skywalker on this thing, close your eyes, and steer just using the Force

    And yeah, Emma's got some fat ass legs!

    I like those. Are the big legs referring to the chainstays? That's just to stiffen things up?
    Or maybe that's just a small chainstay protector. I think we saw top tubes about that diameter in the 80s.

  32. #32
    All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Reputation: MendonCycleSmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    15,025
    Quote Originally Posted by Fillet-brazed
    I like those. Are the big legs referring to the chainstays? That's just to stiffen things up?
    Or maybe that's just a small chainstay protector. I think we saw top tubes about that diameter in the 80s.
    Refers to the stays, yep. Also a Frank Zappa reference. Dario is a huge Zappa fan. All custom drawn Columbus, his alone. The downtube has stainless stiffeners ala 1920's track bikes. This thing is such a bizarre combo. Insanely stiff out of the saddle, comfy in it, and super polite. I fell in love the first time I rode one....

    Who you sayin' has a small stay protector
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

    - FrostyStruthers



    www.mendoncyclesmith.com

  33. #33
    Certified Bike Junkie
    Reputation: muddybuddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,746
    Need: McMahon brake for roller cam mounts, Mountain Goat fork.

  34. #34
    All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Reputation: MendonCycleSmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    15,025
    Quote Originally Posted by muddybuddy
    Nope, and I got a deal from a buddy too. He gave me a while to pay, and I do all his work, so I worked off a good chunk too.

    $4400? Not me. Don't think I'd even buy a new super spanky MTB frame for that much. Heck, my 1896 Pierce wasn't that much....

    Gotta love roadies, the ones who buy new at least
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

    - FrostyStruthers



    www.mendoncyclesmith.com

  35. #35
    Stokeless Asshat
    Reputation: jeff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,322
    God that's gorgeous.

  36. #36
    All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Reputation: MendonCycleSmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    15,025
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff
    God that's gorgeous.
    Thanks. If you're ever in the 'hood, take her for a ride
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

    - FrostyStruthers



    www.mendoncyclesmith.com

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation: yo-Nate-y's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    2,732
    not to be a voice of discontent, but the graphics aren't my cup of tea (by a long shot--nonsense Japanese characters?) ....but I like the burnt orange color

  38. #38
    All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Reputation: MendonCycleSmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    15,025
    Quote Originally Posted by yo-Nate-y
    not to be a voice of discontent, but the graphics aren't my cup of tea (by a long shot--nonsense Japanese characters?) ....but I like the burnt orange color
    No worries, it's Italian

    Nonsense, yes. Tibetan, and several dialects of Sanskrit though. Characters are real, but they say nothing.

    AJBTLUBRVQKUB
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

    - FrostyStruthers



    www.mendoncyclesmith.com

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,640
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith
    Nope, and I got a deal from a buddy too. He gave me a while to pay, and I do all his work, so I worked off a good chunk too.

    $4400? Not me. Don't think I'd even buy a new super spanky MTB frame for that much. Heck, my 1896 Pierce wasn't that much....

    Gotta love roadies, the ones who buy new at least

    Hey Mendon is it a Pierce Arrow? Would love to see some pics.. one of my fave machines of all time. I used to have a pretty good collection of <1900 bikes.

    -Schmitty-

  40. #40
    All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Reputation: MendonCycleSmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    15,025
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmitty
    Hey Mendon is it a Pierce Arrow?
    Yep. I bought a less than perfect, 1902 one first, then bought my 1896. Funny thing is, I started my thread with the old one. Then someone posts auction pics later on down the road, of the second one I bought. So, all in one neat little package...

    1902 softail 29er, it's here!

    Rode it this Spring, very cool
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

    - FrostyStruthers



    www.mendoncyclesmith.com

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,640
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith
    Yep. I bought a less than perfect, 1902 one first, then bought my 1896. Funny thing is, I started my thread with the old one. Then someone posts auction pics later on down the road, of the second one I bought. So, all in one neat little package...

    1902 softail 29er, it's here!

    Rode it this Spring, very cool

    Thanks! I've got a set of those Model A hubs taking up space in my garage if you need 'em. IMO, nobody is making bikes half as cool... not ANT, nobody in Portland(nobody).

    I just got a nice vintage score that I'll show off this Friday.....

    -Schmitty-

  42. #42
    artistic...
    Reputation: colker1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,010
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith
    Refers to the stays, yep. Also a Frank Zappa reference. Dario is a huge Zappa fan. All custom drawn Columbus, his alone. The downtube has stainless stiffeners ala 1920's track bikes. This thing is such a bizarre combo. Insanely stiff out of the saddle, comfy in it, and super polite. I fell in love the first time I rode one....

    Who you sayin' has a small stay protector

    Dario is one of the coolest, most noble, refined guys i ever met online. a true gentleman.

  43. #43
    All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Reputation: MendonCycleSmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    15,025
    Quote Originally Posted by colker1
    Dario is one of the coolest, most noble, refined guys i ever met online. a true gentleman.
    Got to dine with him at a cool Indian restaurant in Vegas two years ago, agree with your assessment wholeheartedly.

    One of the kindest, nicest men you'd ever want to meet, genuine to a fault.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

    - FrostyStruthers



    www.mendoncyclesmith.com

  44. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    2,500
    hey all, need advice on similar vintage jamis dakota
    damn near original except for newer rear wheel (might fix that)
    picked one up to build for an amiga as a commuter, still all original deore bits!!
    any suggestions on where I should look at the frame for bad spots?

    seems more interesting, the ht/tt/dt junction is brazed (or looks it anyways, maybe mig'd with mud), seat junction has a thicker looking lug though?
    kind of a neat juxtaposition.

    cheers
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •