mtbr member

Seeking Expertise on Dura-Ace FH-7260 6-speed hub

Can anyone confirm whether this 126mm, 6-speed freehub can be swapped with a UG/HG freehub body from, say, a 105SC hub?

Iím hoping to make my UG 6-speed into a UG/HG 7-speed hub.

Yes? No? Options?

Thanks.

Humanoid Lobster
    I'm upwards of 99% sure that you're out of luck. Dura Ace EX used its own splined tool to remove the cassette body, not the 10mm allen key of the later hubs.

Those sure are pretty hubs, but it's going to be a challenge to get them out of that box and onto a bike. (For instance you need a threaded 1st position cog, etc, etc.) Not insurmountable troubles, but not easy either.
    Don't call it a gooseneck.

mtbr member
    I can see that it takes a different tool to remove the freehub, but -- still holding out hopes -- does it mount down onto the shell in a compatible way? When peering down into each of them, it seems that it might be possible. . .

Problem is that I don't have that removal tool, and don't want to risk mangling anything with a makeshift approach.

Cogs aren't a problem, as I have an appropriate UG cluster AND the DA 1st position cog. I was just hoping to make it up to 7 speed.

I cannot find an exploded view for this specific FH-7260 to help confirm.

mtbr member
    That 21 is going to hurt on the climb up.
    Seek: Koski Trailmaster. Breezer Series 2, or 3. Fillet brazed Ibis Custom. Cunningham Racer. Otis Guy (but not that softride model). That's all I need I don't need anything else... except... except for an old Mountain Goat bar stem combo. And that's all I need. I don't need anything else. Except.....

mtbr member
    LOL! I don't have that original corn-cob cassette, but I do have two UG sets & spacers that will do the trick, along with the DA-only top cog. I could use a 24t or 25t, but that's some time away.

I've opened 'em both up, and the tool required to remove the DA freehub is more rare than a hen's tooth. Yet it is still unclear whether the receiving anchor thread is the same as the later 105SC I'm ready to cannibalize.

I've been sent the documents (in Japanese only) for the 7261, but that was quite a different set than the 7260. Big changes came with small increments in that window of time.

SO . . . I'm still open to advice and expertise. Thanks.

TrinityRiverKerplunk
    I would be very, very surprised if they work, my faulty memory says the threading was completely different and the bodies were somewhat different too.
    Good friction shifting is getting hard to find nowadays....

mtbr member
    Yes, I am coming to this conclusion after multiple close inspections, and queries to about everyone I can think of who might have tried before.

I didn't mind the UG cogs, but was hoping to expand this to a 7 speed cluster. Oh, well. Guess I'll just have to make do with 6 speeds.

Thanks.