mtbr member
    May 2014

Second Annual Marin Fat Tire Classics Celebration (08/27/2017)

Hey all,

First off, it's good to be back from my extended vacation from MTBR. Secondly, I've returned with, what I believe to be, some very good news! It's time to start getting ready for the second annual Marin Fat Tire Classics Celebration (that's what I'm calling it now)!

Last year was an absolute blast, so my hope it that we can capture that magic once again. The format will be the same, but with a few added bonuses. Here's where I'm at so far;

- The event will be held on Sunday, August 27th. Guests should aim to arrive at 9:00am. The ride will begin at 10:00am and finish around noon, just in time for lunch.

- The location has been moved just a short distance down the road to the Miwok Meadows picnic area in China Camp State Park. This site has a much larger capacity for guests and parking, and is centralized within the park's main trail loop.

- Food and beer will, again, be provided. I do still encourage people to contribute with snacks and beverages, if they so desire.

- There are no strict rules in regards to what bikes you may bring. My suggestion is to bring something pre-2000, but really all you need is an appreciation for old bikes. This is a family friendly event, so bring your partners, kids, or whoever as well.

- There is no fee for attending the event. Donations are appreciated though, as I am footing the bill myself, and would like to continue making this thing happen for years to come.

- As a bonus, a couple of the pioneers will be bringing some of their modern contributions to the world of mountain biking for guests to demo. If you've been curious to see how your vintage Fat or Koski compares to the new version, here's your opportunity.

I'm encouraging everyone here who lives in, or will be in the area to attend. Please spread the word as well. As I am not on the social media, it would be great if any of you felt like taking it upon yourselves to let the vintage bike communities elsewhere on the internet know (I'm looking at you, Eric).

Lastly, please don't hesitate to contact me via email at Leedumler@gmail.com with any questions or to R.S.V.P.

Cheers!
    Last edited by LeeDumler; 07-10-2017 at 12:15 AM.

velocipede technician
    In.
    looking for 20-21" P team

artistic...
    I would LOVE to go.
    WTB: Bomber Z2 1 1/8 steerer, in good to excellent shape OR bomber rebuild kit.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I would love for you to join us! You can't let Hollister have all the fun.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Last year was a fun and nicely organized event. Also got to meet Ross Shafer. Marked on my calendar.
    Looking for a P7, k14 or f12 1inch

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeDumler View Post
    Please spread the word as well. As I am not on the social media, it would be great if any of you felt like taking it upon yourselves to let the vintage bike communities elsewhere on the internet know (I'm looking at you, Eric).
    On it.

Also in! Welcome back and great first return post Lee!
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

VRC Illuminati
    My photo album from last year with a lot of pics!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/rumpfy...57671936069870

-eric-

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    New and improved, and I dig the event name. Count me in, good timing I'll be back from seeing the solar eclipse in Wyoming. Many thanks Lee!! Demo'ing a new Fat would be fun.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Thanks Eric. Your help getting the word out last year was invaluable. I'm hopeful we can up the attendance this year.

Ben, demoing a new Fat is fun, but beware. After I rode one I ended up ordering one.

used to be uno-speedo....
    Damn. I'll miss it by a couple of weeks. Next time!

gobsmacked Moderator
    checking when my big hiking trip is...stoked though! give me your paypal addy and I'll chip in $20, nonetheless.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    checking when my big hiking trip is...stoked though! give me your paypal addy and I'll chip in $20, nonetheless.
    It would be a shame if you weren't able to make it two years in a row. You are definitely a pillar of this community and we'd love to have you join in the festivities.

My PayPal uses the email I posted at the top of the thread, and thank you very much for supporting the cause.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I had some free time this evening, so I started an art project. Hope to have a stack printed up and in the local bike shops this week.

Second Annual Marin Fat Tire Classics Celebration (08/27/2017)-img_1267.jpg

VRC Illuminati
    I had some free time this evening, so I started an art project. Hope to have a stack printed up and in the local bike shops this week.
    Ah, perfect. I was just looking for the right image to use for Fbook promotion. This will do nicely!
    -eric-

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Yes! Please post it wherever you see fit.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    can't wait, thanks for organizing the event again!

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by onebignut View Post
    can't wait, thanks for organizing the event again!
    My pleasure! I'll keep doing it as long as people keep showing up!

I have a bit of an update to the afternoon's festivities as well. I spoke with Connie Breeze today, and we are going to try to organize a scheduled tour at the Mountain Bike Hall of Fame. The idea will be to set a time in the afternoon when anyone who is interested can cruise over to the museum and get a group tour of the exhibits. It's about a 25 minute drive from China Camp, and we will most likely plan it around 3:00-4:00 in the afternoon.

VRC Illuminati
    We should keep this up top as well.
    -eric-

Just A Mountain Biker.
    I so wish I could make it to this!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    MTBR: Your dad's online mountain bike forum.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Thanks for the bump, Eric.

I've been working on another project for this year's event, with the help of my wonderful and talented partner, Ashley. She's putting together a great little commemorative piece that will be available for any interested attendees. Should have a finished example early next week.

VRC Illuminati
    Nice! Looking forward to it.
    -eric-

gobsmacked Moderator

Second Annual Marin Fat Tire Classics Celebration (08/27/2017)

Nice, Lee! I'm so sorry but I'll be in the SW!

I know I've been terrible...

anyhow, if you guys will forgive me, I'll sticky this!
    Last edited by girlonbike; 08-03-2017 at 08:57 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    Nice, Lee! I'm so sorry but I'll be in the SW!

I know I've been terrible...

anyhow, if you guys will forgive me, I'll sticky this!
    My very first sticky thread! Thanks! Now I feel like there's some real weight behind this thing.

I'm sorry to hear you won't make it, but maybe we can organize a smaller group ride later in the extended summer we'll inevitably have. Have you been able to get many miles in on the white bike?

And thanks for your contribution, too. It definitely helps with the increased cost of the larger venue for this year.

mtbr member
    Sounds like a blast!
    Seek: Koski Trailmaster. Breezer Series 2 or 3. Cunningham Racer.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Preorders are now being taken for this lovely beer stein! Reserve yours now and pick it up at the event, then fill with delicious ale and enjoy!

Just follow the link...
    https://www.etsy.com/listing/5367216..._home_active_1
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Second Annual Marin Fat Tire Classics Celebration (08/27/2017)-image.jpg  

VRC Illuminati
    Very cool. I bumped the posts on all the fbook vintage mtb groups with this.

When we hit the 30th annual Marin Fat Tire Classic vintage mtb gathering, you're gonna wish you had the first mug offered!
    -eric-

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Thanks for the bump, Rumpf! Preorders for the mugs are coming in at a good pace. We just ordered a dozen more to etch so we'll have a few to sell at the event.

This will most likely be my last update before Sunday, as I've been running around like mad the past week. Catering is finally taken care of, and we'll be enjoying a delicious build your own taco spread from the local Mexican market. Killer pastor and pollo asado, plus all the fixins'.

Looking forward to seeing everyone on Sunday!

VRC Illuminati
    Thanks for the bump, Rumpf! Preorders for the mugs are coming in at a good pace. We just ordered a dozen more to etch so we'll have a few to sell at the event.

This will most likely be my last update before Sunday, as I've been running around like mad the past week. Catering is finally taken care of, and we'll be enjoying a delicious build your own taco spread from the local Mexican market. Killer pastor and pollo asado, plus all the fixins'.

Looking forward to seeing everyone on Sunday!
    Excellent. I'm stoked for Sunday. I was going to bring donuts and OJ again for the morning. Yay or nay?
    -eric-

mtbr member
    May 2014
    That's a definite yay on donuts and OJ!

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Just ordered my mug, I was late to the game since I was in Idaho for this solar thingy (yes it was awesome). This Sunday should be a blast and all the running around and organizing is much appreciated Lee. Hey, OT, but can I bring the Lobsta #17 and drop it off with you? or I can swing by your place after the shin-dig and hide it behind your place? For the life of me the seat post won't budge.....dig it and see you all Sunday!!

4AM
    mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Ill be there if I can get my dad to take me. Sweet website too vintagemtb

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    thanks to everyone for putting on such a fun event, great seeing all of the awesome bikes and getting to meet some of you!

mtbr member
    May 2014
    My pleasure! As exhausting as it all was, once people started showing up and things got rolling, it was all worth it.

Thanks to everyone who showed up! It was a great crowd! I was happy to see so many folks from last year, as well as a lot of newcomers.

For all those who wished they could have made it, go ahead and mark August 25th 2018 on your calendars. There will definitely be a 3rd annual MFTCC next year.

VRC Illuminati
    Last year was fun. This year was even more fun! Thanks again Lee, calendar is most definitely locked for MFTCIII!

Get off the table!

My favorite bike there.
    -eric-

~~~
    Thanks Lee, Rumpfy, and everyone else who made this happen! It was a real treat to meet some fine folks and check out all of your bikes. Really nice surprise to see Jacquie and Charlie swing by on the tandem!

Who's bike gets tossed down the ravine next year?

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Lee once again you out did yourself, you've got a knack for bringing it all together. I'll be coming back for years to come. It was great to see some friends and meet new ones, oh yes and of course the bikes! I was digging the Dirt Shark and finally some Bonty's showed up.. I like the idea of having a more casual VRC ride there in late summer early fall. Keep me posted and I'll be in contact about the Lobster and future weekend/Monday rides. Dig it, well done and cheers! Oh, and did the rider go down the ravine as well?

mtbr member
    Thanks Lee and your band of helpers. Holy crap: Chris Chance, Don Koski, Jacquie, Charlie, Mark Norstad. Trailmasters like they were growing on trees. I'm still buzzing. Definitely making this an annual event.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Second Annual Marin Fat Tire Classics Celebration (08/27/2017)-img_0583.jpg  

Second Annual Marin Fat Tire Classics Celebration (08/27/2017)-img_0589.jpg  

Second Annual Marin Fat Tire Classics Celebration (08/27/2017)-img_0599.jpg  

Second Annual Marin Fat Tire Classics Celebration (08/27/2017)-img_0607.jpg  

Second Annual Marin Fat Tire Classics Celebration (08/27/2017)-img_0612.jpg  

Second Annual Marin Fat Tire Classics Celebration (08/27/2017)-img_0613.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Lots of cool bikes and people. Liked seeing the downhill Salsa and the early Scoboni.
    Thanks Lee for organizing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by burritoguru View Post
    downhill Salsa
    Are there any pictures of this bike?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I did not take any pictures that day. Hopefully someone can post.

mtbr member
    Christine's bike with Titus suspension parts,

Second Annual Marin Fat Tire Classics Celebration (08/27/2017)-salsa-dh1a.jpg

Second Annual Marin Fat Tire Classics Celebration (08/27/2017)-salsa-dh2a.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Oh, thanks a lot!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Thanks for posting DC.